How did you decide on your CC handle?

COLLEYBERRY

My screen name resulted from my registering here on CC and being asked for a screen name. I wasn't prepared, but the helpful process suggested alluding to your favorite movie. One of my all-time faves is 1947's "The Ghost and Mrs Muir," which, I will add, I first saw on TELEVISION, many years after its theatrical release.

It also seemed appropriate because the Ghost is actually Captain Gregg (Rex Harrison at his handsomest), a retired sea captain who accidentally suffocated in his sleep because he "kicked the blasted gas on with me blasted foot!" One of his best speeches is when he says farewell to the sleeping Mrs Muir (Gene Tierney, who resembled my mother) and describes sailing 'round The Horn with "the sea whipped white....Oh, what we've missed, Lucia!" As you can see, I could act out the movie for you right here. In fact, I won a prize once for peforming the last scene of the movie in a Dale Carnegie class.

If you've never seen it, by all means rent it some time or watch it on TV.

my hubby's niece is Joan Jett from Joan Jett and the Black Hearts (our last name is Jett)
Ha ha to that. I would have bet big money that Joan Jett was a stage name. Why don't you like her?

Oh, and my handle is just my initials and part of my last name - Doug R. Whitson

Ha ha to that. I would have bet big money that Joan Jett was a stage name. Why don't you like her?

Oh, and my handle is just my initials and part of my last name - Doug R. Whitson

Joan Jett is her real name. And let me keep this PG but one of the many reasons I detest her is her actions when she came to visit us during her 1st European tour while we were stationed in Germany. Uh..to say she teased the young men who worked with/for my husband was an understatement. I confronted her and let's just say the door definitely hit her back side!!

I may be known as a B***h in real life, but I am a poor one. She is the Rich one with a bad attitude to her family.

Joanie

My screen name resulted from my registering here on CC and being asked for a screen name. I wasn't prepared, but the helpful process suggested alluding to your favorite movie. One of my all-time faves is 1947's "The Ghost and Mrs Muir," which, I will add, I first saw on TELEVISION, many years after its theatrical release.

It also seemed appropriate because the Ghost is actually Captain Gregg (Rex Harrison at his handsomest), a retired sea captain who accidentally suffocated in his sleep because he "kicked the blasted gas on with me blasted foot!" One of his best speeches is when he says farewell to the sleeping Mrs Muir (Gene Tierney, who resembled my mother) and describes sailing 'round The Horn with "the sea whipped white....Oh, what we've missed, Lucia!" As you can see, I could act out the movie for you right here. In fact, I won a prize once for peforming the last scene of the movie in a Dale Carnegie class.

Voila, Madame!;)

For the past several years I have been working on simplifying my life (I've not been a successful as I hoped!) One of the reasons I love cruising is that it is simple - few decisions, etc. So when I started posting on these boards, simplelife is what sprang to mind.

My grandma called me Marianne, and was surprised when I entered it, that Laura accepted it. My real first name is shorter but similar. I really like the name Marianne and use it often.

I was surprised to see the name "Spoely" and once had a very good friend with this nickname. Yes, his last name was Spoelstra but he's not with us anymore. He had family in Florida, Tampa I think. Anyway, it certainly brought back many wonderful memories.

Marianne

My two favorite places to be - Las Vegas or on a Cruise. Though I haven't been to Las Vegas lately - too many cruises. I once thought of retiring there when the time comes - but to far from a port - I'd like to be closer. I know you can drive to LA or San Diego from there. But - we'll have to see when the time comes and that's 11 years or more away.

Just said to DH last night, wish I could put into effect my CC name and just sail off on back-to-back cruises for the rest of our lives. This purely selfish idea would be bliss to me!:)

I just said the same thing to a friend of mine yesterday.;) Of, course my screen name is very self-explanatory. I discovered a while back that screen names are case sensitive so there is another love_the_sea (in all caps I think). I have loved reading this thread. I have seen many of the names and wondered about them. I, too, thought IRL_Joanie meant In Real Life! The real story was so interesting! Hope to meet all of you onboard some day:D

ColleyBerry...What a wonderful thread this is! Have thoroughly enjoyed it!

Oh my goodness! How delightful & I feel so stupid...:o All along I've thought that your actual name was "Mrs. Muir" & you were being very formal.. I completely forgot about The Ghost & Mrs. Muir...LOL

My birth name is Betty. Years ago friends starting calling me Bettyboop and giving me gifts with Bettyboop on them and 16 is my birth date. When I purchased my first computer in 1999 I chose the nickname as my handle.

Betty,

Some Friends used to call me Bettyboop too..Once I even dressed for Halloween as BettyBoop..

Re Serendipity1499- Our County was building a new bridge & we had a piece of property in the right of way... Originally purchased it in the 70's to build our retirement home... Instead, we sold the property to the County for a nice profit, which was quite un-expected..

We bought a new boat with some of it..A good Friend wanted us to name our new boat "Land Scam" ;).. However, our Niece came up with "Serendipity" instead.. When we first signed up for e-mail, had to add some numbers & picked 1499 out of a hat..

Cheers....:) Betty

I worked in marketing as a contract negotiator and frequently had to prepare one-off contracts for specialized purposes (no, I am not a lawyer though my wife sometimes regards me as one). These contracts tended to be rather technical in nature and required that I spend some amount of time explaining them to suits, both in my organization and the customers'. Some of the suits were very savvy and technically sophisticated, others, sadly were empty suits. Hence the name.

The alternative explanation derives from a series of sci-fi novels referred to as the Ringworld series. One of the characters is a Kzin (plural Kzinti), a member of an alien race of large catlike beings, named Speaker to Animals. He is a trained diplomat posted to the U.N. The name is a polite reference to how Kzinti refer to non-Kzin races. I just changed animals to suits. Sometimes, there is not much difference.

As you can see my user name is reflective of my enjoyment of good cigars. I do not smoke around the house anymore and am mindful of those around me when I do light up on board.

On other boards I am known as skydiver (since I did that years ago) but wanted to be known for something else in here.

Leaving in a few days on our cruise and I hope to see some of you one day.

Roy

live long and prosper;)

I chose the name of the lake that is our summertime water getaway, where the closest we can get to a cruise ship is a 16' 1976 motorboat or a pink kayak. I bought the pink kayak as my answer to becoming eligible to join the "red hats".

Years ago when we first received email accounts at work we were instructed to use the first 6 letters of our last name and first initial of our first name. (Now that I think of it, I wonder what the people with last names under 6 letters did).

Terry Willson

Archived