Our First Cruise on HAL (on the Noordam)...and Quite Frankly, Once was Enough

SailorJack

I am a little reluctant to post this as I don't want to bring back unpleasant memories, but this is what you wrote:

"The first Christmas after the death of a parent is often the hardest. This was true for me this year. However, reading this review this evening has caused me to laugh out loud and has brought a great big smile to my face.

THANK YOU for linking us to it! It made my blue Christmas a little less blue."

I can tell you, your comment made my Christmas a little more meaningful.

Oh, YES! Now I remember!

It also helped to re-read your review!

Thank you!

As for being concerned about bringing back unpleasant memories ... never fear! I remember my father with rejoicing; yes, I miss him, but he is in a MUCH better place, now, with no more pain or illness, and for that I'm thankful.

Looking back over you review I remember how much I laughed as I was reading it. It was a tonic then ... and now! Again, thank you!

Hi Sailor Jack

Thanks for you're review, we are sailing on the Noordam in march.

I have yo correct you on Another unusual name that we have heard about on HAL is something called a “Hunky Dory” – of which we have no idea - except that it may be Dutch for “Lifeboat.” I live in Holland and speak dutch but in my language a Lifeboat is a "reddingsboot" and not a Hunky Dory that is not a dutch word at all.

Hunky Dory is a real person. He is famous. He greets you when you leave the dining room with the mints, ginger, etc. he is fantastic. if you ever have the pleasure to meet him, you will know. He makes you laugh as you leave the dining room. Hope he's on the Nieuw Amsterdam

Great review :D:D thank you.:D:D

I think SailorJack and SailorJill should cruise more so we can read more reviews...;)

SailorJill agrees with you completely!:) We do two cruises a year - one in the spring and one in the fall, two weeks each. Jill would like to do a 7 day summer cruise, but there is just to much to do in summer. Next up: Star Princess in October.

Frogsgirl: Thanks..glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by SailorJack

You write too well to share it only with these boards. I don't know what you do professionally, but you should attempt to get these published. I'm a retired English teacher, and have rarely seen this quality of writing from

someone who doesn't do it for a living!

Marcia

Thnk-you for the kind words. I'm retired now, having taken early retirement several years ago - so I have plenty of time to get into trouble. I write for fun and don't know how I would handle the ins and outs of submitting manuscripts, etc. But it is a thought.:)

Thanks again.

Jack

Okay, my office staff is going to love this. Having printed out your South America trip review, this will be a great refresher for them.:D

Glad you enjoyed it:) It was actually my 8th review. You can find links to the others below in my signature.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad this got moved up! I was afraid to open it as well, presuming it would be a long rant about how much HAL sucked, and well, I'm booked on my first HAL cruise this Oct so I wasn't prepared. But I clicked anyway :-)

Very glad I did. I could imagine the relay races you were having with the "chinese man" it made me laugh. You definitely have a great ability to allow the reader to "see" not only read.

Kudos to you and i look forward to more!

You mentioned on another string that you were getting ready to do another HAL cruise in the Caribbean early next year...which one are you looking at?

We are looking at another cruise on the Noordam - a 10 day cruise early next year to the southern Caribbean. Besides the fact that we really liked the Noordam, the itinerary takes us to several islands that we have never seen before.

I loved your review. It made me chuckle then came the outright laugh. I will go back later and read others you have submitted.

Glad you enjoyed it...thanks for your kind words.:)

I have never laughed so hard reading a cruise review. I think you should write a book about all your adventures with Sailor Jill it would be a best seller and then one day made into a movie.(like Marley and Me) I would be the first to buy it my husband is sick of hearing about your adventures but I can't help it they are so funny. and I hope you really think about that book!!!

With the exception of the 'Euro' dam, all HAL ships are named after existing dams in The Netherlands..

No, they are not.

The Vista class ships, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Noordam are named after the compas points with "dam" added to the end.

Noord means north in Dutch. I am pretty sure that the Vista ships are named for the points of the compass and Noordam is north. Westerdam= west, Oosterdam= east, and Zuiderdam= south.

Ye, you're correct but I am dutch and these are all dams..;)

I'm a teacher, and I must admit that I 'borrowed' your parts of your review on the "Nightmare" to teach allusion... especially the part about the glass-bottom boat to view the Argentinian Navy. The bad news: my students are too clueless to understand such sophisticated historical references!

Maybe next time, you could incorporate more contemporary rap or hip hop or Disney Channel references into your writing to help me out! I teach middle schoolers.

Thanks! Hilarious as always.

I have never laughed so hard reading a cruise review. I think you should write a book about all your adventures with Sailor Jill it would be a best seller and then one day made into a movie.(like Marley and Me) I would be the first to buy it my husband is sick of hearing about your adventures but I can't help it they are so funny. and I hope you really think about that book!!!

Glad you enjoyed the review, but take it easy on your poor husband.:D No book in the near future, but thanks for the thought!:)

I'm glad this got moved up! I was afraid to open it as well, presuming it would be a long rant about how much HAL sucked, and well, I'm booked on my first HAL cruise this Oct so I wasn't prepared. But I clicked anyway :-)

Very glad I did. I could imagine the relay races you were having with the "chinese man" it made me laugh. You definitely have a great ability to allow the reader to "see" not only read.

Kudos to you and i look forward to more!

I have heard before that the title was a little disconcerting, but I'm glad you opened it.:) "Chinese Guy" was a fun bit and he and I are still in touch by e-mail.