Animal Towels

Tropix33

Personally, I think they are cheesy, and am very glad we have only had one on Princess. Maybe that is the reason we stopped sailing on Carnival and RCI. :)

(Since you seem to always be looking for an arguement KJ, that is my opinion, and only my opinion).

After 6 Princess cruises, we have never had a towel animal. I did see one hanging in a cabin along our hallway as I walked by when the door was open 1 day.

Personally, I think they are a cute idea if kids are in the cabin but, I think the cabin stewards have enough work to occupy them without spending time each day or multiple days making towel animals for the majority of cabins under their care....

Just my opinion....

On our Nile River cruise, every night we were treated with the most amazing towel creations I've ever seen - elephants with sunglasses, swans, crocodiles, "people" complete with hats/glasses/shoes, and the most suprizing, a Cleopatra. Of couse the ship only had 100 cabins so I guess the stewards had plenty of time.

I'd just as soon have my cabin steward using their time to keep my cabin spotless - just like all my Princess cabins have been.

We have a lobster one night on our Nov. 20-30 Island cruise. I was very surprised, but happy to see the little critter when we came back after dinner.

Yikes. I would have called Terminex.

Oh, you meant a towel lobster. My bad.

I have never seen a towel animal and really don't care to. I love stuffed animals as much as the next five year old, but I've seen photos of the towel animals and I just don't think they're all that cute. Besides, what if the steward got so involved creating that towel dog or elephant or tarantula or whatever, that he forgot my pillow chocolates???? I'm shaking just thinking about it. I live for those pillow chocolates -- can't read the next-day's Patter without one!

According to some, the crew who take care of your cabin are "Stewarts" and they know if you attend the mustard drill and eat in the buffett.

True, unless you happen to be taking your meals in the dinning room.:rolleyes:

Mike:)

Untrained "Stewarts". :eek:

Just can never get away from the Stewart !!!!--have'nt seen Stewart in a little while--thought maybe that Steward had replaced Stewart recently !!!!

Nancy:D:D

This people work hard enough without taking the time to make animals. It is cute for kids, but as an adult, MHO - there are more important ways to be constructive and better ways to spend time. Happy Cruising!

Totally agree.

Four Princess cruises,, no animals.

Had them on another line.

I think they are cute for children,, but frankly,, silly and waste of workers time for adults. I also think they are just something they do because they hope for extra tips. I have no problem tipping extra ( then suggested amounts),, but not for towel animals.. I tipped extra when we took small kids,, as they are so messy( funny some people feel they should tip LESS for children, never understood that) . I tip extra when I request extra towels, blankets etc.. but towel critters.. nope.

IN 1983, on my first cruise, the steward arranged my roommate's nightgown, with the waist cinched, included her sun hat and sunglasses, on her bed. She, 18, was delighted and thought it was "sweet." I, of a certain age, was appalled.

It took me twenty years to get back on a Carnival ship, but I did. They left my nightie alone then, but the towels were twisted, tied, shaped and arranged into animal shapes, and my sunglasses and hat were appropriated once.

I prefer that the steward really cleans the cabin and replenishes the needed supplies. If an animal made of towels appears, I usually move it from the surface it has occupied. Sometimes, I have felt like telling the steward early in a cruise, "Hey, your tip will go up if you don't clutter the bed, sofa or desk with animal sculptures." But that seems ungracious.

My grandchildren love the towel animals! One even has the book, "The Lost Art of Towel Origami."

Aside from the popular but contentious OPINION that towel animals are better given to 12 year olds, there are some very logical adult reasons why some cruise lines have decided not to make this sort of thing a policy.

1. A 2,000 passenger ship needs to purchase an additional $60,000 in towels every year in order to have enough stock onboard to make those towel animals.

2. As the stateroom stewards are so busy, they have a habit of re-cycling those towel animals from cabin to cabin, and cruise to cruise. This is really bad news for anyone concerned about Norwalk Virus or Swine Flu. And it's just plain unsanitary for anyone else. Who knows what the previous passengers were doing on/with those animals??

3. The amount of fresh water and soap required to launder those thousands of extra towels (they do need to wash them eventually) is enormous. Aside from the cost of the soap and water, where do you think they dump all that additional polluted water?

2. As the stateroom stewards are so busy, they have a habit of re-cycling those towel animals from cabin to cabin, and cruise to cruise. This is really bad news for anyone concerned about Norwalk Virus or Swine Flu. And it's just plain unsanitary for anyone else. Who knows what the previous passengers were doing on/with those animals??

Oh YUCK! :eek::eek: Let me add that to my list of reasons for not wanting them.

Where do they stay during their down time? :eek:

IN 1983, on my first cruise, the steward arranged my roommate's nightgown, with the waist cinched, included her sun hat and sunglasses, on her bed. She, 18, was delighted and thought it was "sweet." I, of a certain age, was appalled.

This happened to my friend and me on the Island Princess last year, and neither of us is anywhere near 18.;) It made me very uncomfortable, seeing my nightgown pawed over. Since then, I have always put it away in a drawer in the morning.

This happened to my friend and me on the Island Princess last year, and neither of us is anywhere near 18.;) It made me very uncomfortable, seeing my nightgown pawed over. Since then, I have always put it away in a drawer in the morning.

Closer to 21 then? :eek:

2. As the stateroom stewards are so busy' date=' they have a habit of re-cycling those towel animals from cabin to cabin, and cruise to cruise. This is really bad news for anyone concerned about Norwalk Virus or Swine Flu. And it's just plain unsanitary for anyone else. [b']Who knows what the previous passengers were doing on/with those animals??[/b]

My first thought was to look at and smile. Looking on the ones I have gotten over the years from resorts and cruises, now the possibilities are endless. I could surely see that little monkey on my back. Little monkey come to mama;):eek: If I get the swans in the shape of a heart for my anniversary, I might leave those alone. Hmmm, 2 swans together, oh my......lol

With the real and possible threat of fire, Norwalk Virus, Swine Flu, so-so food, pollution, I am glad only have a few cruises under my belt. I don't even wish to think about the short cuts the waiters might be taking after watching the movie Waiting....yuck! Forget it, canceling the next 'rubbish' of a cruise and staying home where I am safe from all the ills of cruising. If these critters can't be trusted, it's no longer worth it, my luck might run out:D

Archived