Need More Info on Balcony Dining

DRMizzou

I have seen a lot of threads mentioning the Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience and was wondering if anyone would offer some more detailed information. My wife and I are sailing on the Sapphire Princess on February 13th. Our cabin is on Aloha Deck. My wife's birthday is on the 14th (Yes, on Valentine's Day) and I would like to do something special. This is a tough night because everyone wants to do something special. Any comments/thoughts on Balcony Dining would be appreciated!!

When we did our UBD it was a very special event and I'm glad we decided to do it. We called the DINE number as soon as we got on the ship and scheduled it because we know they only do a few each night and they fill up fast.

A night or two before the dinner they made arrangements to come to our cabin where we told them what kind of cocktail we wanted with dinner (you also get a small bottle of champagne), and what we wanted to eat - steak, lobster or both, and a few other details.

The night of the UBD they came and set up the table, both times we've done it the weather was bad so the table was set up inside. They set up the flowers, took our picture and dinner began.

One waiter took care of us, and he had a runner who went and got things as we were ready. The waiter stayed in the hallway until we called him, but he always seemed to know when we were ready for the next course. H earned the tip we gave him when the dinner was over!

I always thought it was kind of silly to spend extra money for food on a ship full of good free food, but the experience is worth it. It would be a very nice touch on Valentines Day - just be sure to book it ASAP!

We're going on a 14 day cruise over Valentines Day in 2011 - I'll probably try and do it then!

Call right away.

We had a waiter who was an opera buff, and he sang (well!) while delivering dinner.

I arranged this as a surprise for my husband, and it worked perfectly.

Don't forget to let your regular waiter and tablemates know (unless you have AWD) that you won't be there for dinner -- just a courtesy so that they don't wait to order and start in the belief that you're running late.

The canapes were pretty meh, I'd pass most of those over and wait for the other food. There was far more food than we could eat.

Mixed drinks got a little diluted because our cabin was at the aft end of the Emerald deck and it was a long hike from the bar.

We did tip the waiter and assistant; they did a beautiful job and were at our beck and call the full time.

I have seen a lot of threads mentioning the Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience and was wondering if anyone would offer some more detailed information. My wife and I are sailing on the Sapphire Princess on February 13th. Our cabin is on Aloha Deck. My wife's birthday is on the 14th (Yes, on Valentine's Day) and I would like to do something special. This is a tough night because everyone wants to do something special. Any comments/thoughts on Balcony Dining would be appreciated!!

DRMizzou,

UBD is a fantastic idea for Valentine's Day!

The UBD is awesome. DH and I did this on our recent Star Mexican Riviera cruise and it was wonderful!

It's the Ulitmate Balcony Dinner and is worth every penny. Complete and total personalized dining service on your balcony. $50 per person, we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Here's our table:

3048294515_a4618d0560.jpg?v=0

And the menu:

2984864539_b7fbeba9ce.jpg?v=0

Our waitstaff arrived about 15 minutes early and set up our table on the balcony and a set-up table just inside the balcony door. White table cloth, fine china and a beautiful floral arrangement. Manuel and Alia were fabulous, they never missed a beat.

They brought our cocktails and appetizers and left us alone to enjoy them. Then they brought the champagne and the photographer arrived to take our picture. They had a cart outside the cabin door and brought every thing in course by course. You hardly knew they were around and then voila they were there catering to your every whim.

The food was to die for - a perfect evening. I say do it, it's a dining experience you won't soon forget.

just out of interest guys and i hope you dont mind me asking......

what kind of a tip was given to the waiters??

the reason i ask is most of you are american or canadian and tipping is far more familular to you than to us brits.

We chose to give each waiter $10 extra for their service. However, this is completely up to you. However, if you do decide to tip the servers be prepared to do so in cash as we were not given any way to do so on the onboard account.

A standard balcony (ex: Aloha, Baja 9x5) might be tight for 4 people to dine. Two comfortably fit. One could easily fit 4 people dining on a Caribe (9x9) balcony. These are the side balconies on the Crown, Carribean, Ruby, Emerald.

UBD is fantastic. We just returned from 12/12-12/19 Crown cruise and had UBD on Monday evening of our trip. Be advised you can request different appetizers i.e. escargot, shrimp cocktail, etc. You can also request different salads if you wish. We also requested Asti Spumante instead of champagne and request was granted. The food was the best we have ever had on a ship. Had surf and turf and lobster tail was much different than what is received in the dining room. Worth every penny especially for special occasion. Ours was our 35th anniversary.

Is UBD done only on certain nights? Sea days? Port days?

It can be done on either. I have always tried to schedule it for a late port day - the balcony will be calmer if you aren't moving. The last time I scheduled it we didn't make that port and sailed all night and it was so windy we had it inside - the best plans sometimes don't work out :-)

We will be in a ph suite on the Golden. There are a total of 6 in our party and we would like to do this. Does anyone think that this might be possible?:confused::confused:

Absolutely, go for it.

We have hosted the UBD for 8 on the balcony of a Vista Suite twice and it was terrific.

Mike:)

Archived