URGENT carnival email RE:WEATHER

Hdog76

Just got an URGENT email from carnival this morning. We cruise out of san jaun on sunday. We fly out Saturday A.M. It said anyone booked to fly between Dec 22 and Dec 27 should REBOOK on earlier flights????????? I'm assuming that would cost me...and I cant miss Christmas tomorrow......Its just supposed to be rain here in NY/NJ. Should I panick?

Guest bahamamama1
Just got an URGENT email from carnival this morning. We cruise out of san jaun on sunday. We fly out Saturday A.M. It said anyone booked to fly between Dec 22 and Dec 27 should REBOOK on earlier flights????????? I'm assuming that would cost me...and I cant miss Christmas tomorrow......Its just supposed to be rain here in NY/NJ. Should I panick?

Yes.

You need to check with your air carrier, ASAP! 1) It's Christmas and flights are full. 2) There is a heavy blizzard moving across the mid west which is triggering delays all over the country. So while NYC may have only rain, delays in flights leaving to or arriving from the West do have an impact on all other flights leaving an airport. Check with your airport for current delays and keep up on all delays from both your carrier and the airport.

You need to decide which is more important. 24 hours of Christmas at home or the cruise. Tough decision. If Christmas is that important, cancel the cruise and rebook NOW!! Otherwise, leave as early as you can, it may cost you a few extra $ and you may miss part of Christmas but not miss the cruise. Miss the cruise and you're out a lot of $$$.

Remember, you're in charge here. You have and can get all the information you need. It's up to you to act and not wait things out or hope/pray everything clicks.

Let us know how things work out.

Inclement weather may impact more than one airport and affect many flights. You're flying in a day early and have the insurance. I'd probably go with your original plan but woud be on edge until I was finally landing in SJ. Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!!!

Ms B

American is only waiving for flights originating in the midwest.....Maybe since my plane does a JFK-MIA r/t on saturday, it wont be affected....since the plane wont be coming in from the west/midwest.......just a reach!

I just checked the FAA website, and even in the midwest, all flights are within 15 minutes of departure

That's today. 24-48 hours from now it could be VASTLY different, especially since it can take days AFTER a major weather event to get schedules back on track.

Carnival probably sent that out to all cruisers for this weekend. Probably hoping to avoid some of the mess folks were in last week becasue of the storm that slammed the northeast and people not able to get to their destination. The info is also posted on their website. I would say that in your situation, you'll probably be OK with your Saturday flight, but I'm an optimist. Others make some very valid points to consider. Weigh all the options, and make an informed decision based on the information available.

PLEASE, just don't come on here Sunday saying you missed your cruise and complain about Carnival's customer service. :p There's some nasty stuff flying around here lately... I hope it's not contagious. :)

I am keeping my fingers crossed, unf i cant get through to american airlines due to the crash they had this morning/last night??? Either way, theres nothing they can tell me im assuming...just have to wait. We def will not leave before Christmas, and I PRAY that WORST case, is we get to catch up with ship somewhere, and my trip insurance will eventually cover all that

If the weather looks fine for Saturday, I wouldn't panic. You are already flying in a day ahead of time, which a lot of cruisers do not.

You could always check to see if there is a red-eye out Friday evening. That might be another option.

Enjoy your Southern Caribbean cruise!!

Just got through to American.....he cant guarantee where the plane is coming from, but SHOULD be from MIAMI and that it will not effect us, as long as we have just rain on east coast, and that only planes that were coming from the west would be affected....he's totally probably tooting my horn

I seriously cannot understand why everyone is telling you to panic, cancel Christmas, drive (?) (to San Juan didn't understand that one!!) You are flying in a day early, so even if the flight is delayed, I believe you should have plently of time to make it. You are also flying on a plane that is coming from Miami.. should be no delay there, just maybe/possibly a delay leaving NY/NJ.

What I would suggest, if you can, is to print your boarding passes now if you can. (Most airlines allow you to do this 24 hours prior to the flight). That should give you a little bit peace of mind and speed up check-in at the airport. The other thing I would suggest is to get to the airport earlier than planned... that way they cannot give your seats away...

I personally think you'll be fine, have no problems and enjoy a great cruise...It's not like you are leaving the same day... you are giving yourself 2 days to get there!!! Let us know how your cruise was when you get back :)

I seriously cannot understand why everyone is telling you to panic, cancel Christmas, drive (?) (to San Juan didn't understand that one!!) You are flying in a day early, so even if the flight is delayed, I believe you should have plently of time to make it. You are also flying on a plane that is coming from Miami.. should be no delay there, just maybe/possibly a delay leaving NY/NJ.

What I would suggest, if you can, is to print your boarding passes now if you can. (Most airlines allow you to do this 24 hours prior to the flight). That should give you a little bit peace of mind and speed up check-in at the airport. The other thing I would suggest is to get to the airport earlier than planned... that way they cannot give your seats away...

I personally think you'll be fine, have no problems and enjoy a great cruise...It's not like you are leaving the same day... you are giving yourself 2 days to get there!!! Let us know how your cruise was when you get back :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I really need some reassurance for now! We are flying First Class, and plan on checking in online at 10:30 am on the dot tomorrow morning(24hrs before). I will be optimistic, it's all I got! Sorry for making a fuss, I have just NEVER been involved with a weather issue as USUALLY when I leave NY in winter it is miraculously like record warm temperatures!

It said anyone booked to fly between Dec 22 and Dec 27 should REBOOK on earlier flights?????????

A couple questions:

• If the email asks you to rebook, surely it gives a reason. What did the email say? If you copy and paste the relevant parts (delete any personal info) into a post, that will clarify this question.
  • San Juan departures usually occur around 10 PM, and you have a flight in the AM... you're fine. Did they know about your flight time, or was this a mass mailing to all passengers?

One thing for sure, get the the airport EARLY. Be at the check in line at the airport two hours before your flight, to be sure you can make it to the front of the line before the deadline.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

The email I got says exactly the same thing as the website notice

Travel Advisory

December 23, 2009- Updated 2:30PM EST

Due to expected adverse weather conditions, some airlines are encouraging passengers traveling between December 23-27 to consider rebooking their flights and traveling earlier. Inclement weather may cause flight delays or cancellations, and airport closures. We suggest you contact your airline carrier for updates.

Our ships are still on schedule; however please continue to check our website for further updates. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Safe travels.

I also got several automated phone calls saying the same thing. I called my airline and they don't expect any weather problems from where I am flying from. The email seems to have been sent to virtually everyone cruising over the next couple days.

I leave on Saturday, our ship leaves on Saturday. We booked through Carnival air, because believe it or not, it was the cheapest flights we could find. We are booked on the first flight of the morning, for 6 am, from LaGuardia to Miami. Hopefully we'll be OK. I very highly doubt that we'll be able to get on a flight on Christmas, and then even if we did, where would we stay in Miami? So I'll just take my chances.

As another poster said...there is no reason to be in "panic mode".... you are flying in 1 day early and things should go just fine even if some minor delays. I believe for the most part that the email sent out was advising passengers that are flying in the day of sailing to try to make changes if possible more so than those flying in a day or more earlier than sailing date. Cruiseline is just trying to avoid the mess that happened when the recent bad winter weather moved in.

I'm in Canada and got same email/automatic voicemail and I'm already to schedule to fly buffalo/fort lauderdale the day before the cruise.

i think it's automatically going to everyone and I think commonsense and local weather reports should dictate whether to panic or not.

Frances

Just got through to American.....he cant guarantee where the plane is coming from, but SHOULD be from MIAMI and that it will not effect us, as long as we have just rain on east coast, and that only planes that were coming from the west would be affected....he's totally probably tooting my horn

Stop panicking. You should have no problems, but if you do there is nothing that you can do about it at this point anyway. If AA says your plane is probably coming from MIA, then unless there are big mechanical issues it should be there on time. If you haven't flown to SJU before wait and buy your rum and other liquors on the way back after clearing security. You can carry it on the plane and take as much as you want duty free.

I leave on Saturday, our ship leaves on Saturday. We booked through Carnival air, because believe it or not, it was the cheapest flights we could find. We are booked on the first flight of the morning, for 6 am, from LaGuardia to Miami. Hopefully we'll be OK. I very highly doubt that we'll be able to get on a flight on Christmas, and then even if we did, where would we stay in Miami? So I'll just take my chances.

Christmas Day is one of the lowest-travelled (flight-wise) days of the year. Still, you should be fine, as long as your out-bound plane is already at LGA, and not flying in from somewhere else. Have a great cruise!

Sending out "easy travel and on schedule flight vibes" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take a deep breath, relax....and have a WONDERFUL cruise....

this email was probably to the folks that still try to fly in "the day of".....

Archived