Lobster

Merchant Mariner

Sorry this post is off topic but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to cook a lobster tail and for how long. I do get one the odd time at home but I'm never sure how to cook it and for how long. It usually ends up overcooked:rolleyes:.

Just steam very gently, never boil, and if it's from 1 1/2 to 2 pound lobster, I would say no more than 20 minutes.

Just steam very gently, never boil, and if it's from 1 1/2 to 2 pound lobster, I would say no more than 20 minutes.

We boil them here!!! Drop in boiling, heavily salted water for twenty mins. for one pound. Use a BIG stock pot as they fight back. In a smaller pot you have to hold their down and the water flies all over.

Now is the time for PETA to chime in.

We boil them here!!! Drop in boiling, heavily salted water for twenty mins. for one pound. Use a BIG stock pot as they fight back. In a smaller pot you have to hold their down and the water flies all over.

Now is the time for PETA to chime in.

Speaking of PETA, I laughed out loud when Whole Foods stopped selling lobster. Said it was cruel. But, they'll sell baby lamb and all that. Jeepers.:confused:

If you boil the lobsters, don't they get tough? I understand starting with a boil but don't you turn down the heat right after?

What time is dinner, Suse? :D Sounds delicious! ENJOY.

I agree with Suse's cooking directions. Never boil a lobster. That is what makes it tough and you lose flavor IMO We never salt the water.

For two - 1 1/2 pound lobsters, I put about 2 -3" of water in bottom of tall, large pot. Bring water to boil, put in lobsters, cover pot, reduce heat to medium high when water returns to boil and steam for about 25 minutes.

I have never cooked only a tail but the directions are about the same. Reduce cooking time to about 20 minutes for 1 pound tail.

What time is dinner, Suse? :D Sounds delicious! ENJOY.

I agree with Suse's cooking directions. Never boil a lobster. For two - 1 1/2 pound lobsters, I put about 2 -3" of water in bottom of tall, large pot. Bring water to boil, put in lobsters, cover pot, reduce heat to medium high when water returns to boil and steam for about 20 - 25 minutes at most. We do Not salt the water!

I have never cooked only a tail but the directions are about the same. Reduce cooking time to about 20 minutes for 1 pound tail.

Exactly! Come on down!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

'Sail' --- We did have enough left over for a lobster roll each at noon today!! The lobster sale price was $5.77 (CDN) / lb. (Uncooked) -- Truly unbelievable !! :p

We heavily salt the water when cooking, the same as 'Sapper' ------ I think that this is a regional thing! In the Maritimes people heavily salt lobster or cook them in sea-water; but when I purchase them in Maine, they are seldom as salty, --- just personal preference I guess !! "Chacun a son gout!" :)

Happy New Year to you and your husband!

Gord

Sail, if you get them today,how do they keep? Do you just refrigerate them or are you planning to get them tomorrow? I want some too. Love going to the Hamptons for them or The Palm where they broil them. I prefer steamed, but The Palm is yummy too. I always order male lobsters.

Carol,

You can't (I wouldn't) keep them overnight. My lobster pound is open New Years Day. I'd pick them up fresh tomorrow, bring them home and cook soon.

You need for them to remain in the tanks so they don't die and spoil.

I've seen them served at The Palm and they look wonderful but I don't like all sorts of butter on mine so prefer plain steamed. I know most people want drawn butter but I don't really love the taste of it, don't want the fat and prefer to really taste the luscious lobster. :) It's so good; why drown the taste? :D

Thanks to all that responded to my request for cooking instructions. Now all I'm missing is the lobster:D.

Happy New Year all:)!

Happy New Year to you, Lorekauf.

Wish I could send you some of this lobster. All this talk about it is making all of us crave it. :)

They are usually warm-water tails...not "Maine" lobster tail.

On the Westerdam 11/1/09 cruise we had cold water lobster tail which was a suprise. Not overcooked as many times before. In Florida we have to pay through the nose for "Maine" lobster, up to $16 per lb. We don't eat the caribbean variety as they are not much flavor and tend to be very dry.

When we lived up north we used to get 7-8 pounders for $4.99. Great treat as there were leftovers for lobster rolls the next day. Best steamed and not overcooked.

Some trade off for 60-70 degrees in the winter.

Happy New Year to you, Lorekauf.

Wish I could send you some of this lobster. All this talk about it is making all of us crave it. :)

I wish you could send me some too...although I'm getting taken out for dinner tonight so I've got nothing to complain about:). No lobster however.

'Sapper'--- Lobsters are at an unbelievably low price here now' date=' aren't they! DW and I had 1 lobster each last night ( 11 lbs total !!). We cooked them ourselves so they were not overcooked and not tough and stringy as sometimes happens with the larger ones !! :)

It's hard to beat Bay of Fundy late season lobsters !! :cool:

Happy New Year!

Gord[/quote']

Yes---the colder the water, the better the lobster.

Have a safe New Year's Eve up there in Grand-Sault. I am the DD tonight so it will be Perrier Water for me.:)

Thanks to all that responded to my request for cooking instructions. Now all I'm missing is the lobster:D.

Happy New Year all:)!

I just reread your post and saw you asked about tails. I guess the size of the pot wouldn't matter as a tail wouldn't be fighting back. :D

I just reread your post and saw you asked about tails. I guess the size of the pot wouldn't matter as a tail wouldn't be fighting back. :D

Actually, the size of the pot does matter. :)

You wouldn't want that steaming hot water overflowing and making a mess of the stove. In a tall, large pot, much less chance of boil over. That's not a mess I enjoy cleaning up. ;)

Aug. 2010...we return to your beautiful area (NB,NS,NF) on the Eurodam...am looking forward to REAL lobsters again...and not on the ship! You're in a wonderful place to visit for any lurkers here! Yes, ship lobsters, for those who know "cold water lobsters" are NOT the same!

Grilled 4 6oz. warm water tails from Omaha Steak for about 8 minutes, split the tops and loosened the meat. Flipped them 2x and they were very flavorful and tender. Just brushed the meat w/drawn butter before grilling. I followed their instructions.

As for another comment from before, my philosophy is: SAVE A COW, EAT A PETA!

Our tradition for New Year's day is the same as yours, KK - pork and sauerkraut (although we have ours w/mashed potatoes). Its that Pennsylvania Dutch luck-for-the-New Year thing that drives it in our house. Growing up we knew no different, its what Mom and Dad did every year, hence, so do we! BUT our lobster tail tradition does come into play on New Years Eve. Yup, we had lobster tails for "appetizers" around 7:30PM, then ate a huge beef rib roast encrusted with horseradish and baked potatoes around 9:30PM. A good time was had by all!

Happy 2010 everyone - may you be blessed with smooth seas, amazing ports of call, and safe sailing!:D

Thanks Sapper, Sail7seas and M Steve for the further info about cooking lobster tails. I just can't do the whole lobster thing. I can't handle eating something when it's looking at me or if I've had to "clean" it:D.

OMG, try driving home from the store with the "package" rustling and moving on your front seat. THAT is gross. But oh so tasty :D

We seldom see live lobster here, but on occasion get Dungeness crab. THOSE are worth all the angst involved in turning them into dinner. :)

Archived