Lobster

Merchant Mariner

Assateague Island Princes and KK........

Your traditional dinners sound wonderful and hope you really enjoy them.

Traditions are very important IMO and it's great to see families carry them on.

Happy, Health New Year to all.

Now you've all done it. I'm sitting here drooling with nothing good to eat in sight.

I just took a little walk down memory lane, reliving our New England cruise last September. I'm still dreaming about the fantastic clam chowder we ate at Quincy Market and the fresh lobster we had in Bar Harbor. You are so right....the seafood along the New England coast is in a different class than we get here.

Yesterday at my local supermarket I saw people buying lobsters from the tank. It was really comical.....the clerk was trying to remove a lobster with a pair of tongs, and he did not want to go! But even when we buy them like that, as fresh as we can get them, they aren't as good as yours.

Years ago, I thought the lobster on the cruise ships was good....maybe not outstanding, but good. I always enjoyed it. In the last five years, though, I have noticed a big decline in quality and quantity on all of the lines we have sailed. The last time I ordered lobster was in a specialty restaurant on a Princess ship, and it was overcooked and mushy, and I couldn't eat it.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'll have to take another New England cruise....more time to spend in historic Boston, more good clam chowder, and more good lobster.

Another New Englander here to sing the praises about Maine lobsters. The ones on the cruise ships just don't come close.

We have had them steamed and boiled and they are both good.:)

After this thread , I will definately be picking up a couple of lobsters by the end of the weekend :)

Well I had my two pounder last night----now I am still suffering a horrible headache and feel like I am hung over-----when all I drank was Perrier water.

As I mentioned before, I was the DD but I think one should not have a hangover from something as wonderful as lobster. It was cooked in seawater too so it was nice and salty. That's why I am so nice and thirsty today.

Oh well, I will not learn from my experience and will pig out again in the future and suffer again.

Sorry this post is off topic but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to cook a lobster tail and for how long. I do get one the odd time at home but I'm never sure how to cook it and for how long. It usually ends up overcooked:rolleyes:.

Another way

If you cut the tail down the backside with shears and pull the meat out but dont detach from shell (you will understand when doing this)and sit it on top of the shell brush with some butter put in a pan with enough water to cover the bottom bake in preheated 500 degree oven for 1 minute per ounce When you buy them you can get the weight from your fish monger

This is how one Californin does itsmiley3546.gif

I do grill them on the Barbi as well

The Maine Lobster is actually called the Bay of Fundy Lobster that New-Brunwick and Maine share. Most of the Lobster found in New-York and Paris come from New-Brunswick Canada. The Process is completely different since in Canada they have many pounds that are fed ocean water and not process as they are in the USA.

To cook lobster from live

put in about 2 inch of water, 1/2 cup of sea salt, let water boil, take Lobster by the tail and dump claw in first then cover immediatly, after the banging stops , you may still hear hissing, then throw in another Lobster depending on the size of the Pot.

Lobster must be steam not boil.

steam lobster exactly 19 minutes.

Voila! cooked like the French Chefs

it is best eaten with Garlic butter, not butter mix with garlic powder or salt.

Many restaurants will cook lobster with red wine. red wine and seafood do not mix.

Its only use to hide the cooks overcooking or to cover the previous frozen lobster taste.

freshly cook lobster have a white paste on the meat when you break their shells.

OMG, try driving home from the store with the "package" rustling and moving on your front seat. THAT is gross. But oh so tasty :D

We seldom see live lobster here, but on occasion get Dungeness crab. THOSE are worth all the angst involved in turning them into dinner. :)

One of the guys I worked with years ago brought us each in a live lobster to work from the East Coast of Canada. We were very happy and surprised but none of us wanted to take them home to cook them. I could just picture mine crawling out of my bag on the bus. It might have helped me get a seat on the bus however:D. He was nice enough to cook them and bring them in the next day for us.

Well I had my two pounder last night----now I am still suffering a horrible headache and feel like I am hung over-----when all I drank was Perrier water.

As I mentioned before, I was the DD but I think one should not have a hangover from something as wonderful as lobster. It was cooked in seawater too so it was nice and salty. That's why I am so nice and thirsty today.

Oh well, I will not learn from my experience and will pig out again in the future and suffer again.

I've been feeling that way from all the sugar I've been eating:eek:. The only time I eat sugar is for vacations, Christmas and sometimes Easter. It's amazing that a person can feel crappy from food.

Grilled 4 6oz. warm water tails from Omaha Steak for about 8 minutes, split the tops and loosened the meat. Flipped them 2x and they were very flavorful and tender. Just brushed the meat w/drawn butter before grilling. I followed their instructions.

As for another comment from before, my philosophy is: SAVE A COW, EAT A PETA!

We have an Omaha Steak place near us -- they only sell frozen lobster tails.

Are yours frozen?

They were frozen but we thawed them in fridge for 2 days and they were great. I'm not a big fan of warm water lobster compared to Maine, but these were very good.

Fot those who don't like cooking a live lobster, watch "Annie Hall" where Woody Allen tries to cook one.

We are fortunte to have a restaurant here where we can get good Lobster dinners -- Maine lobsters!!

Since we can only buy the frozen ones -- I do not cook them anymore.

Funny how I almost never order a lobster when we dine out. I don't eat baked stuffed but prefer steamed. They're messy to eat (if you really know how to eat the whole lobster :) ) and I much prefer to do that at home rather than when out to eat. Maybe sometimes on Canada/New England cruises in capri pants and jerseys for lunch at outdoor tables on the water...... then, yes. Then it's fun to have a lobster out but not in a 'fine' restaurant for dinner-for me.

I was talking whole lobster and you were talking lobster tails. Now I get it.

We always talk in terms of whole lobster..... we want the claws, the body, the tamale, the legs. :) The whole lobster.

Funny how I almost never order a lobster when we dine out. I don't eat baked stuffed but prefer steamed. They're messy to eat (if you really know how to eat the whole lobster :) ) and I much prefer to do that at home rather than when out to eat. Maybe sometimes on Canada/New England cruises in capri pants and jerseys for lunch at outdoor tables on the water...... then, yes. Then it's fun to have a lobster out but not in a 'fine' restaurant for dinner-for me.

We are the same way Sail. We usually have our lobsters at home too. There is a reason that lobster is the only entree I know of where they hand out bibs *LOL* they are delicious , but definately messy.

There are some people who could probably use a drop cloth :)

I can eat a whole New England lobster anywhere, anytime, any way ... prefer steamed, but broiled, baked, stuffed, cut up, roll, salad ... I don't care. I'm in heaven:D

Brought up in New England, I don't really like the little warm water tails served up by HAL, but I order them because I think they're better than other choices on that night. They're tasty, but I don't think of them as lobster ... more like another crustacean altogether!!! If you look at it that way, they're tasty little morsels. However, as someone said, there is no such thing as a large or jumbo warm water lobster. They're always small ... more like an appetizer.

I'm no PETA person, not even close, but to this day I cannot place a lobster in a pot with boiling water. And even if someone else does it I can't watch. Doesn't stop me from eating them though;):)!!! Go figure.

When we got them at Roche Bros on Cape Cod (and also here) they charge no extra for steaming and they were really reasonable this year ($7.99/lb). In fact, you call and order in the a.m., tell them what time you want them, and they wrap them so they stay warm for you! Yum!

We are the same way Sail. We usually have our lobsters at home too. There is a reason that lobster is the only entree I know of where they hand out bibs *LOL* they are delicious , but definately messy.

There are some people who could probably use a drop cloth :)

we do eat them at home too. Most the time. However, there is such a great bar and grill near us, dare I mention Duffy's in Wickford, where the lobster is as cheap as you could make it at home. Doesn't matter if the juice is rolling down your arms and you are drooling all the way, it is such a magnificent joint! Gotta love it. We do.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got back from the 2/28 Westerdam cruise and the lobster tails during the last formal night were awesome. Huge Maine lobster tails and they were cooked perfectly....tender, tasty, and flavorful! They were atleast 6-8 oz each.

Lobster.JPG.a3568abce9114797233cf3bed7671350.JPG

I was talking whole lobster and you were talking lobster tails. Now I get it.

We always talk in terms of whole lobster..... we want the claws, the body, the tamale, the legs. :) The whole lobster.

Reminds me of a story ... when our five children were young, we got this brilliant idea about having a lobster fest one night - so, yours truly went out and bought four live lobsters. When I got home the kids had to see them, so I let the little guys crawl around on the kitchen floor - while the water was boiling. They loved playing with the little creatures. Unfortunately when I put the lobsters in the water, I became the devil incarnate to my loving children. Needless to say, we did not have lobster again at home til they became adults.

BTW, we sure have enjoyed someone else cooking/serving them on HAL.

harry

When I got home the kids had to see them, so I let the little guys crawl around on the kitchen floor - while the water was boiling.

Lobster races across the kitchen floor is always supposed to be the preliminary event! (betting is optional.)

Archived