The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I have kind of a silly question for the Port Canaveral experts out there! We will be getting off the Freedom on Sunday, September 11th. Our flight isn't until 7pm, so we have quite a bit of time. We were wondering if there are any bars/restaurants in the area that might be able to show the Bears/Falcons game. It's the first game of the season and it would be a great way to wind down from our fun filled vacation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

[quote name='Bankergrl']Shirley,

Hope you and your family are all safe down there with Irene coming up the coast!![/QUOTE]

Hey there Cheryl,
We did just great - my heart, thoughts and prayers are with all of those on the east coast that are facing quite a challenge - It was so kind of you to think about us.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

[quote name='KG1924']I have kind of a silly question for the Port Canaveral experts out there! We will be getting off the Freedom on Sunday, September 11th. Our flight isn't until 7pm, so we have quite a bit of time. We were wondering if there are any bars/restaurants in the area that might be able to show the Bears/Falcons game. It's the first game of the season and it would be a great way to wind down from our fun filled vacation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)[/QUOTE]

Hello KG - there are several - the most favorite of the locals are as follows:

Jonathan's Pub - 140 North Brevard Avenue - cocoa beach 321-783-9368
Beef O'Brady ------located in the same plaza as Publix in Cocoa Beach
Pig & Whistle -------Cocoa Beach

All 3 are great
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='snelsonbrown']Hello KG - there are several - the most favorite of the locals are as follows:

Jonathan's Pub - 140 North Brevard Avenue - cocoa beach 321-783-9368
Beef O'Brady ------located in the same plaza as Publix in Cocoa Beach
Pig & Whistle -------Cocoa Beach

All 3 are great
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Thanks Shirley!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!! :) I will have a happy husband thanks to you!

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but there is no search button anymore, and the links I tried did not work...

We are renting a car from MCO and staying at Country Inns and Suites. I need to know if there are tolls along the way, and if so, is it a cashless system only. Should I rent the transponder, or is it not necessary?

Also, what would be the best place to pick up beer for the night and wine and soda for the trip?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

As I recall, there is a total of $1.25 of tolls. There are both exact change and need change booths. I suggest taking quarters since the line moves much faster in the exact lane. IMHO you don't need the transponder...dice I think they add a surcharge. There are several liquor and grocery stores in Coccoa Beach....down past your hotel. For full info, scroll back on this thread until you get to Shirley's signature (snelsonbrown). She has a link just below her signature.

Hi, I was wondering which hotel would be good to stay at if you don't have a car. Arriving on Thursday, so will have 2 days, but would like a hotel close or on the beach and near stores and restaurants. I know I don't want much. I can't find the search function or would have searched for one.
Thanks Cindy

[quote name='islandwannabee']Hi, I was wondering which hotel would be good to stay at if you don't have a car. Arriving on Thursday, so will have 2 days, but would like a hotel close or on the beach and near stores and restaurants. I know I don't want much. I can't find the search function or would have searched for one.
Thanks Cindy[/QUOTE]

CLICK ON LINK BELOW FOR INFORMATION ON COCOA BEACH AND CAPE CANAVERAL
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=862[/url]

[quote name='Clay Clayton']CLICK ON LINK BELOW FOR INFORMATION ON COCOA BEACH AND CAPE CANAVERAL
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=862[/url][/QUOTE]

I just tried to follow the link but because search is disabled, nothing will load. Until they fix the search function you will have to go to Post 862 in this thread. What ever page you are on right now - go back half way and you should be close enough to figure out which page it is from there. I have mine set on 40 posts per page and am now on page 43 and for me Post 862 is on Page 22. The default is 20 posts per page so you may be on page 86 and need to go back to page 43 or 44) The easiest way to get back to the page you need is to change the page number in the address box at the top of the page (the url). It is at the very end of the url AFTER you go back one page and are at the top of the page. HTHs for now. Edited by peg013

Shirley, Is the free shuttle to the Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach still running? I thought I read on one of these many pages that is isn't running anymore but I looked through a few pages but there are just too many pages to check. Also did you or someone else mention something about a $4 all day shuttle around the terminal and to Jetty Park? I tried looking at the PC web page from Post 862 but didn't see anything about a shuttle to Jetty Park and it looks like the "Cove" shops are only open on Thurs & Friday. Are they ever open on Mondays? We'll be in PC Oct 24th. Thanks for all you do for all of us on this thread.:)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Hi [B]Shirley[/B], my name is Kristy. I'm sure glad i found this thread! I am in charge of getting the transportation/hotel accommodations for our family cruise (2 households).:rolleyes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid] I think i've narrowed it down to Comfort Inn & Suites Cocoa Beach. Comfort Inn & Suites now have a package that includes rt tranportation from Orlando Airport, hotel, breakfast, & rt transportation to cruise ship. [B]My question is if i choose this option, instead of renting a car, will i be within walking distance of a grocery store, restaurants, & entertainment? Or is a car needed to get around?[/B] If not the Comfort Inn & Suites, which hotel would you recommend?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]We are wishing to buy our sodas and last minute items here in Port Canaveral.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Thanks for your help.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Kristy, we are staying at CI before our cruise. They have a pool with a small bar, when it's open and their own beach. Across the street is a Publix and few other stores, including a Bealls outlet which is great for shopping. There is a Walgreens and a CVS, and Ron John is right next door. Huge store.

There is an ihop across the street, sorta Mom and Pop type with good food especially for breakfast, altho CI does a continental one, good Italian up the street, Branos, and the Shark Pit restaurant and Bar in the Ron John's next door. If you really want to get somewhere else, the bus/trolley stops right outside. Also a taxi isn't too bad

Always have gotten great response and info from this thread, - so while I asked this already ( in a separate thread with no response), please allow me to ask again.

Don’t read much about the Hampton Inn at Cape Canaveral. Anyone stayed there who can offer any comments. I just booked this for a pre-cruise stay. I don’t need parking or shuttle services. I booked a room with a balcony and view.
Thanks
M

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks so much [B]Bee [/B]for the reply and info.:D[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'm sure i will have so many more questions before we leave.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Oh yeah here's another one..hehehehehe[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]How far in advance should i book the hotel? [/B]I've heard horror stories of rooms selling out. I'm such an eager beaver but I don't want to be left out in the "cold" either. This is my first cruise in a looooooooooong while and never out of Port Canaveral. Thanks.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]Cruisegirl,[/B] that is so strange i just was looking at the Hampton Inn in Port Canaveral! Great minds thinking alike?:D They are having a special right now that is less than Comfort Inn and includes rt from airport, hotel, and cruise terminal, too. I guess everyone is "jocking" for position for our cruise dollar. :p Is [B]there anything close by Hampton Inn?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Kristy, I book way out if i have a cruise booked. i then keep checking to see what happens with their prices. If the hotel rate goes down, i call and ask them to meet the lower price. They usually have no problem since you can always cancel and rebook. You also might want to check the price of a room, the price of a shuttle (we use travelynx see post 862 of this thread) and price to the ship. I think it is $4 or $5. See what you come up with. The continental breakfast is included.

Don't know anything about the Hampton

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]Bee,[/B] your fast! Thanks a bunch. I'll talk to the my mom & brother and see about trying to reserve this weekend.
Oh yeah...[B]if we decide to rent a car at Comfort Inn did you notice a rental car agency around, possibly within walking distance?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='KrystalWaters'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks so much [B]Bee [/B]for the reply and info.:D[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'm sure i will have so many more questions before we leave.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Oh yeah here's another one..hehehehehe[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]How far in advance should i book the hotel? [/B]I've heard horror stories of rooms selling out. I'm such an eager beaver but I don't want to be left out in the "cold" either. This is my first cruise in a looooooooooong while and never out of Port Canaveral. Thanks.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]Cruisegirl,[/B] that is so strange i just was looking at the Hampton Inn in Port Canaveral! Great minds thinking alike?:D They are having a special right now that is less than Comfort Inn and includes rt from airport, hotel, and cruise terminal, too. I guess everyone is "jocking" for position for our cruise dollar. :p Is [B]there anything close by Hampton Inn?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thanks -we'll have a car so it really doesn't mater what is around the hotel. Wherever we decide to go ( for dinner) is only a few minutes away. As our cruise is just a few days, we'll park at the port.

M

[quote name='croozlady']I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but there is no search button anymore, and the links I tried did not work...

We are renting a car from MCO and staying at Country Inns and Suites. I need to know if there are tolls along the way, and if so, is it a cashless system only. Should I rent the transponder, or is it not necessary?

Also, what would be the best place to pick up beer for the night and wine and soda for the trip?

Thanks in advance for the assistance![/QUOTE]

I just arrived at my hotel. I rented a car at the Orlando airport.
The agent attempted to sell the toll pass. But thanks to this thread,I declined.
The toll fee was $1.50 and the car rental wanted $12.00.
If you are coming right from the hotel from the airport, just have the change.

Shirley, Is the free shuttle to the Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach still running? I thought I read on one of these many pages that is isn't running anymore but I looked through a few pages but there are just too many pages to check. Also did you or someone else mention something about a $4 all day shuttle around the terminal and to Jetty Park? I tried looking at the PC web page from Post 862 but didn't see anything about a shuttle to Jetty Park and it looks like the "Cove" shops are only open on Thurs & Friday. Are they ever open on Mondays? We'll be in PC Oct 24th. Thanks for all you do for all of us on this thread.:)

Does anyone know the answer to my questions. (I also wanted to bump this valuable thread back to the first page.)

HI Guys! Just made a one way reservation with Thrifty from MCO to Cape Canaveral (6799 N Atlantic Avenue) for 10/1/11. We are leaving on the Freedom on 10/2.

I am just confirming with the experts here that Thrify still runs the free shuttle from the Rental Location to the Port (with times that the shuttle is running)

Also, does anyone know what the earliest time for Pickup from the Port to the same rental location is on Sundays? Even with the one way drop fee that Thrifty has from Cape Canaveral to MCO, it still seems better then a car service....if the shuttle pickup time is early enough.

Thanks

Trom

Edited by Tromler