Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

I agree. It's kind of like saying we're not going to travel in all the US because of the people suffering in New Orleans after Katrina. The people in Chicago weren't hurt, and have family in New Orleans, so why punish them?

Also, do you feel guilty going to that all-inclusive in Jamaica or stopping elsewhere in the Caribbean? There are poor people there too, but it's just a little better hidden. Poverty is not the exclusive domain of the Haitians, but they are the worst case, and this disaster has only amplified it. Why would we want to take away any chance they have to make some money?

I think everyone has a right to their own feeling on this matter. Personally I have donated money and think it is a horrible idea to take a cruise ship of people to a place that can barely hold their own right now. I am not sure how anyone is going to be basking in the sun, while they know that country around them is devestated!!!!! I did not bargain for this. If we can't physically help get them the aide we have no business there.

I am a little bewildered at the posts suggesting that Royal Caribbean stop going to Haiti. I can understand and would agree if RCI's port was Port au Prince, but it's not. It's on the other side of the very mountainous country. It's been well explained in this thread that the locals of Labadee and nearby rely on RCI for their primary income. To deprive them of their income because of a disaster in the other part of their country just seems, well, stupid. Off my soapbox. I just had to say that.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Provides Humanitarian Relief to Haiti After Earthquake

MIAMI, Jan 15, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises, one of Haiti's largest foreign investors for almost 30 years, today announced its plans to provide at least $1 million in humanitarian relief to Haiti in response to the catastrophic earthquake in Port-Au-Prince. Royal Caribbean will be partnering with charitable organizations - such as Food for the Poor, Pan American Development Foundation, and the Solano Foundation, the company's foundation in Haiti - to provide additional assistance to the people of Haiti. Royal Caribbean will also be delivering much needed goods and supplies to Haiti via their cruise ships.

"The effect of the earthquake on Haiti has been catastrophic, leaving the country in need of not only immediate support, but assistance in their long-term recovery," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "Royal Caribbean wants to do its part to help out not only the general response, but also our hundreds of Haitian employees and their families through this disaster."

"In addition to our financial contribution, Royal Caribbean will continue to provide economic support through the continuous business we bring to Labadee," Fain added.

Leslie Voltaire, Special Envoy of the government of Haiti to the United Nations said, "Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country."

The benefits start with Royal Caribbean International's Independence of the Seas' call today to Labadee, Haiti, which includes much needed supplies for the country. The supplies were loaded on the ship during its call in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and include items such as rice, dried beans, powdered milk, water and canned goods. In addition, 100 percent of the company's net revenue from the destination will be contributed to the relief effort.

In the next two weeks, the following ships are scheduled to call on Labadee with additional supplies: Navigator of the Seas on Monday, January 18; Liberty of the Seas on Tuesday, January 19; and Celebrity Solstice on Friday, January 22. When the supplies arrive in Labadee, they will be transported to an offsite location to be distributed by Food for the Poor, a long time partner of Royal Caribbean in Haiti.

In addition to working with Food for the Poor to distribute relief supplies, guests sailing onboard Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises will be able to make a donation to Food for the Poor's Haiti Relief Fund, via a charge to their onboard account. Guests who would like to contribute immediately can visit http://www.foodforthepoor.org/royalcaribbean to make a donation. Royal Caribbean also plans to use a portion of the $1 million donation to augment the company's Crew Relief Fund, which can be drawn on by any of the company's more than 200 Haitian crew members for assistance, as well as to match employee contributions to the partner organizations.

As the initial response effort gives way to the long-term recovery effort, Royal Caribbean will consider further support efforts.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisieres de France. The company has a combined total of 39 ships in service and four under construction. It also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, Canada, Dubai, Europe and South America. Additional information can be found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebritycruises.com, http://www.pullmantur.es, http://www.azamaracruises.com, http://www.cdfcroisieresdefrance.com or http://www.rclinvestor.com.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Legal Information | Privacy Policy

© 2009 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

© 2009 Celebrity Cruises Inc.

All Right Reserved

I am a little bewildered at the posts suggesting that Royal Caribbean stop going to Haiti. I can understand and would agree if RCI's port was Port au Prince, but it's not. It's on the other side of the very mountainous country. It's been well explained in this thread that the locals of Labadee and nearby rely on RCI for their primary income. To deprive them of their income because of a disaster in the other part of their country just seems, well, stupid.

You are correct.

RCI charges $6 tax per person for Haiti. That's $32,400 every time an Oasis Class ship pulls in, $21,600 every time a Freedom Class ship pulls in, $18,600 every time a Voyager Class ship pulls in, $17,100 every time a Solstice Class ships pulls in, etc. That's, at least, $89,700 a week and does not include the money made by the locals working Labadee.

I am also trying to understand the opinion that ships shouldn't go there. People are obviously going to have varied opinions. I highly suggest that if anyone is scheduled to go to Labadee, then go. If you are uncomfortable with enjoying the beach, fine. At least try to find comfort in that your mere presence was beneficial. At least visit the market and see what you can buy from the locals. If you are on the cruise that is donating 100% of the earnings from on shore, by all means, book a jet-ski excursion, ride that zip-line, something!

Royal Caribbean Cruises Provides Humanitarian Relief to Haiti After Earthquake

MIAMI, Jan 15, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises, one of Haiti's largest foreign investors for almost 30 years, today announced its plans to provide at least $1 million in humanitarian relief to Haiti in response to the catastrophic earthquake in Port-Au-Prince. Royal Caribbean will be partnering with charitable organizations - such as Food for the Poor, Pan American Development Foundation, and the Solano Foundation, the company's foundation in Haiti - to provide additional assistance to the people of Haiti. Royal Caribbean will also be delivering much needed goods and supplies to Haiti via their cruise ships.

"The effect of the earthquake on Haiti has been catastrophic, leaving the country in need of not only immediate support, but assistance in their long-term recovery," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "Royal Caribbean wants to do its part to help out not only the general response, but also our hundreds of Haitian employees and their families through this disaster."

"In addition to our financial contribution, Royal Caribbean will continue to provide economic support through the continuous business we bring to Labadee," Fain added.

Leslie Voltaire, Special Envoy of the government of Haiti to the United Nations said, "Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country."

The benefits start with Royal Caribbean International's Independence of the Seas' call today to Labadee, Haiti, which includes much needed supplies for the country. The supplies were loaded on the ship during its call in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and include items such as rice, dried beans, powdered milk, water and canned goods. In addition, 100 percent of the company's net revenue from the destination will be contributed to the relief effort.

In the next two weeks, the following ships are scheduled to call on Labadee with additional supplies: Navigator of the Seas on Monday, January 18; Liberty of the Seas on Tuesday, January 19; and Celebrity Solstice on Friday, January 22. When the supplies arrive in Labadee, they will be transported to an offsite location to be distributed by Food for the Poor, a long time partner of Royal Caribbean in Haiti.

In addition to working with Food for the Poor to distribute relief supplies, guests sailing onboard Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises will be able to make a donation to Food for the Poor's Haiti Relief Fund, via a charge to their onboard account. Guests who would like to contribute immediately can visit http://www.foodforthepoor.org/royalcaribbean to make a donation. Royal Caribbean also plans to use a portion of the $1 million donation to augment the company's Crew Relief Fund, which can be drawn on by any of the company's more than 200 Haitian crew members for assistance, as well as to match employee contributions to the partner organizations.

As the initial response effort gives way to the long-term recovery effort, Royal Caribbean will consider further support efforts.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisieres de France. The company has a combined total of 39 ships in service and four under construction. It also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, Canada, Dubai, Europe and South America. Additional information can be found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebritycruises.com, http://www.pullmantur.es, http://www.azamaracruises.com, http://www.cdfcroisieresdefrance.com or http://www.rclinvestor.com.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Legal Information | Privacy Policy

© 2009 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

© 2009 Celebrity Cruises Inc.

All Right Reserved

This is fantastic!!!!! I hope that in April we'll be able to bring additional items on board to donate (i.e. I"m hoping people don't forget about this in 2-3 months time and stop giving....this country will need help for many, many years!).

You are correct.

RCI charges $6 tax per person for Haiti. That's $32,400 every time an Oasis Class ship pulls in, $21,600 every time a Freedom Class ship pulls in, $18,600 every time a Voyager Class ship pulls in, $17,100 every time a Solstice Class ships pulls in, etc. That's, at least, $89,700 a week and does not include the money made by the locals working Labadee.

I am also trying to understand the opinion that ships shouldn't go there. People are obviously going to have varied opinions. I highly suggest that if anyone is scheduled to go to Labadee, then go. If you are uncomfortable with enjoying the beach, fine. At least try to find comfort in that your mere presence was beneficial. At least visit the market and see what you can buy from the locals.

I heard someone say that it is $10pp now that the pier is complete.

JMO, there have been numerous threads on this subject and I posted on another thread that I felt RCL should stay away from Labadie until some sort of order is restored to this devastated country and I still feel that way. There is absolutely no comparison to any disaster that has ever happened in this country, we have the ability to help ourselves & police our citizens thru any crisis they don’t. The Haitian people are now in survival mode and reports are saying survivors are starting to leave the capital in droves looting what they can as they head for the countryside. Desperate people will do desperate things and I can’t blame them, any one of us would do the same thing to survive under the circumstances. I would be worried about survivors heading to areas of the island where they think they may be able to find water, food and shelter and Labadie would be on their list putting RCL & its passengers at risk. Sad to say but lawless rioting has already started and will only get worse as the days go by. I know we all want to help and we can by donating money to the relief organizations and leave the recovery operations to the experts and just stay away for the time being. RCL has made the decision to go to Labadie and that’s their decision and I commended them for their efforts. I just hope that the well intentioned humanitarian supplies that they will be leaving at the island will get to those who need it and not just sit on the pier and go to waste. The infrastructure was primitive to say the least prior to the earthquake and is now completely destroyed so how do they expect to get these supplies to where it is needed the most. I am sure you are all reading the same thing I am, the dock facility in Port–au-Prince is intact but the roads leading to and from are complete destroyed and the single runway at the airport is overwhelmed with relief planes so all goods brought in have to be air lifted which the USS Carl Vinson will be doing but sadly due to the logistics and complete devastation its not happening fast enough.

I do understand the need to keep normal daily life going and having the ships visit Labadie is a weekly routine for some but will it be safe? I guess only time will tell. I am curious as to how much of the money paid by RCL to the Haitian government really gets to the average Haitian on the street. The Haitian government is know for its corruption and I can’t believe that he average Haitian ever sees a dime of that money.

Ron

I think everyone has a right to their own feeling on this matter. Personally I have donated money and think it is a horrible idea to take a cruise ship of people to a place that can barely hold their own right now. I am not sure how anyone is going to be basking in the sun, while they know that country around them is devestated!!!!! I did not bargain for this. If we can't physically help get them the aide we have no business there.

While what you are saying is well intentioned, it is unfortunately not seeing the larger picture. The citizens of Labadee depend on Royal Caribbean making port calls there; it is there primary source of income. Without the cruise ships calling there they lose their primary source of jobs as well as revenues (port fees and money from passengers purchasing goods at the market). If Royal stopped coming to Labadee, the citizens there would largely be without any revenue at a time where they need it most! Furthermore Royal is currently donating all money raised from shore excursions at Labadee to the relief effort, is offloading much needed supplies when their ships call at Labadee, and is encouraging passengers to help with the relief effort as well. A lot of good is happening by Royal calling at Labadee during this difficulty time and a lot of bad would happen if they avoided Labadee.

While not going to Labadee may cause some people to avoid feeling guilty, it actually punishes the people who live there. Nobody is advocating for people to go into full party mode while at Labadee, but to be supportive of the locals through spending money there and making whatever donations they are comfortable doing so.

I am a little bewildered at the posts suggesting that Royal Caribbean stop going to Haiti. I can understand and would agree if RCI's port was Port au Prince, but it's not. It's on the other side of the very mountainous country. It's been well explained in this thread that the locals of Labadee and nearby rely on RCI for their primary income. To deprive them of their income because of a disaster in the other part of their country just seems, well, stupid. Off my soapbox. I just had to say that.

I completely agree. For those who say that RCCL should not to stop is Labadee is crazy. That's like saying not to stop in Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale during the New Orleans' Katrina disaster. Labadee has not been effected nor damaged and is far away from the capital. There are surrounding communities around Labadee like Cap Haitian. I'm assuming these cities have not been damaged either; however, I'm sure refugees from Port au Prince might travel to Cap Haitian to live/stay with friends and family and they will need additional food and supplies. Remember Haiti is a poor country and most items need to be imported. Normal food and supply lines from other parts of the country to Cap Haitian will be disrupted so the cruise ships will be a vital link to the outside world. If you don't feel comfortable getting off the ship in Labadee and supporting the local economy then stay on board.

Nobody is advocating for people to go into full party mode while at Labadee, but to be supportive of the locals through spending money there and making whatever donations they are comfortable doing so.

This is very well stated.

The Haitian people are now in survival mode and reports are saying survivors are starting to leave the capital in droves looting what they can as they head for the countryside....

...I am curious as to how much of the money paid by RCL to the Haitian government really gets to the average Haitian on the street. The Haitian government is know for its corruption and I can’t believe that he average Haitian ever sees a dime of that money.

You bring up a really good point. If the situation were to evolve in to civil unrest in the Northern part of Haiti, then obviously RCCL would need to re-evaluate stopping in Labadee. It would not be the first time they had to avoid Labadee for these reasons. Passenger safety will always be a priority to the cruise line.

However, while port charges go to the governemnt and not the locals, the money spent on shore by the passeners goes directly to the locals, not to mention all the donations made by RCCL ships over the years.

Intersting story - In 2007, when I was in Labadee on the Explorer, the RCI employee that led our jet-ski tour told us that she visits the nearby town every chance she gets. The visits are in conjunction with donating items to the people of the town. She told us that, over the years, she could see the slow improvement of the living conditions. She said that people who previoously slept on dirt floors were now sleeping on beds, wearing Nike tennis shoes, and watching flat-screen televisions. She said the people treated RCCL employees like gold because of how the corporation has changed their lives.

I too am shocked by the attitude that RCCL ships and passengers should not visit Labadee. My only concern with visiting in the near future would be the possibility for more earthquake or tsunami activity in that area. :( I am hoping that DH and I can book a cruise that goes to Labadee so that we can help out by participating in island activities, in addition to donating money through the Red Cross.

It is ludicrous to stop living our lives when horrific things happen...if that were the case, none of us should cruise, buy expensive cars, clothes, jewelry, homes until everyone is out of poverty and not hungry. It is by our very actions of working, and spending, donating money and time that we have due to our circumstances that help those in need. How many miles do you have to be away from Haiti or any disaster to feel better about yourself and what you are doing....as someone said earlier, sure you don't go into full party mode, but while you are there, help with what you can...and know that by continuing to live and enjoy life, you are helping others and that in the future, should you find yourself in dire straights, you might look up and see a ship on the horizon, knowing it is coming to help you...what a magnificent thing to see...!

I have to agree with you on this. I just can't imagine calling on Labadee, going ashore and enjoying all the fun stuff, knowing the death count less than 100 miles away.

I LOVE what NCL is doing. They are doing a monetary, dollar for dollar company match to the Red Cross.

I just listened to Bill Clinton speak and yes, it is money they need most, so monetary donations seem to be our best bet. I have given to both the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. Catholic Charities is another great organization as previously mentioned in this thread.

I can't watch the news or look at the photos without sobbing. It is so very, very sad.

I understand what you are saying but I have a question. Would you have went were there not an earthquake. Reason I ask is POP has been in turmoil for well over a year. They literally were carring machine guns, machettis (sp), or other weapons and fighting each other in the streets for food. So the whole picnic while others are hungry has been an issue for years. So much so that my parents who had no clue where or what Labadee was didn't want me going there because Haiti in general was and still is not a safe place to be. Labadee is not a part of all that.

exactly! I implore all those that will be visiting soon to not burden the relief workers with more material things that they now have to take resuce workers away from more important duties to sort, divvy up and then transport over a very difficult terrain. I've been reading numerous pleas from all rescue and relief organizations and some are outright asking for us not to burden them with these well intentioned goods. You'll only be making their mission more difficult. It's not like they have warehouses around that they can store all of these 3000 shoes until they rescue those that would be able to use them. Right now they ALL are asking for money to buy pure water, food (not canned goods - they need to get military rations) and medicine.

When it comes to a disaster like this, those relief organizations know what to do and they know what they need when they need it. Please, although noble, it hinders their efforts to take people away from the very important work of rescuing, tending to victims and securing food/water to sort through clothing and shoes and canned goods that can't be used right now. I'm sure that in the coming weeks, when the important first steps are realized, they will ask for these items. Although it would be more convienent for us to bring them with us on our cruise - let's give them when they are needed. It would be like going to Habitat for Humanity and giving a complete set of furniture to a family that doesn't have a house yet. Is it a kind thing to do? Yes, of course. Is it helpful at this moment? No. Does sorting, storing and transporting it take people away from the more important work of building the house? Yes. It's much the same. No one should be criticized for wanting to help. But please put aside your own feelings of wanting to do good whether it is helpful or not and give what is needed now. The adage of 'any help will be appreciated' isn't the entire truth in this situation, although again, wanting to help is wonderful.

I think a portion of the problem is that so many people have given for it to be miss used. In any kind of tragedy there is this problem. Also, so people don't have $$ but could donate their children's outgrown clothes for example. I do understand the hardship that goods are as well. There just isn't an easy answer to this problem.

We aren't talking a year hear, we are talking days. It is not as though people want to stop going to Labadee permanently, they just want them to suspend stopping there for a period of time (likely months) until the Haitians have time to deal with the disaster at hand. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand.

The people in the area where Labadee are not affected by the tragedy directly it didn't go that far. To stop going there would be like not going to the ports in Texas after Katrina hit New Orleans. The one in Labadee still need to be able to function normally in order to hopefully offer assistance to the ones in POP.

I think a portion of the problem is that so many people have given for it to be miss used. In any kind of tragedy there is this problem. Also, so people don't have $$ but could donate their children's outgrown clothes for example. I do understand the hardship that goods are as well. There just isn't an easy answer to this problem.

Some are not going to like this - but for the people who think they know better than the professionals (ie the relief agencies) they are better off to give nothing, or to give to local charities in need than to burden an overstretched system even further.

There are local foster programs, homeless shelters and Coats for Kids charities in their communities that could make immediate use of those out grown clothes. Why send them to a country that needs food, water and medical supplies before they even start to worry about clothing? I see it as ego - "I know better than they" how to do this.

I posted this on another thread but there was an article both in USA TOday and a Miami newspaper quoting a senior Haitian government official who said they WANT RCI and other cruise ships to continue visiting as they bring in a lot of revenue that they need. If the Haitian government wants the ships there, why do some cruisers think it should be their decision otherwise? Most people who are "offended" by the ships still visiting are attempting to deal with their own personal guilt yet projecting it onto everyone else.

Actually water is the most critical need right now, a young man from my church is there on a mission right now. His parents sent an email that he is okay and helping with rescue efforts.

I am sure that any type of donation would be welcome. I would say that it is good to encourage any type of donation.

Personally I would have the drink labadoozie (because they are amazing) and donate $10 while you are there. As well as tipping the chair attendants and buying something from the vendors is a great way to help

One of the U.S. Navy's hospital ships USNS Comfort is being deployed to Haiti quickly. She has 12 operating rooms, 1000 beds, 1000 personnel and can make 300,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

That should help some.

It was hard enough to sit and eat a picnic lunch, before the earthquake, at Labadee knowing how many Haitians were starving.

I can't imagine having to choke down a burger there now knowing how many have died and how many are dying of thirst and who will probably die of their injuries.:(

I understand that 100 land miles is too close to the starving masses for you to enjoy your burger. I'm just curious... How far away do you have to be from human misery before it does not affect you lifestyle? Also, what scope of misery is required to affect your appetite?

Its just odd, if the ship were to sail right by the island, as a day at sea, instead of revenue generating port day, I'm sure you would enjoy the lunch buffet just fine. :confused: How are the poor souls of Hati less miserable if you eat your burger from the comfort of your kitchen table. :confused:

Crazy how we draw artificial boundries to rationalize the fact that none of us does as much as we can to help the least among us.

I understand that 100 land miles is too close to the starving masses for you to enjoy your burger. I'm just curious... How far away do you have to be from human misery before it does not affect you lifestyle? Also, what scope of misery is required to affect your appetite?

Its just odd, if the ship were to sail right by the island, as a day at sea, instead of revenue generating port day, I'm sure you would enjoy the lunch buffet just fine. :confused: How are the poor souls of Hati less miserable if you eat your burger from the comfort of your kitchen table. :confused:

Crazy how we draw artificial boundries to rationalize the fact that none of us does as much as we can to help the least among us.

I love this post! It should be an eye opener for those who still think we shouldn't go to Labadee. Your hearts are in the right place, but if you read this post and think deeply about it, you should understand. Again, the main idea here is that the haitians really DO want us there.

I agree with LuckyStaci - We are all very close to people in need every day.

I wonder if the folks in large cities have trouble eating their lunch after walking past a homeless person on the way to the restaurant? Do they feel bad putting on a nice warm coat knowing there are children in their own community without winter clothing? The list goes on and on. Right in our own backyards there are people without adequate housing, clean water, etc. etc.

Do we only care because the horror was so sudden and it is in front of us on television 24/7?

I agree. But the real reason is just human nature. Neal gets it 2

Have 'Just Another Day In Paradise' in your music collection? That's one we should all visit on a regular basis, but if spending money at Labadee will help, I'm happy to do so instead of staying stateside and just putting money here or refusing to get off the ship.

Archived