Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

JMO, there have been numerous threads on this subject and I posted on another thread that I felt RCL should stay away from Labadie until some sort of order is restored to this devastated country and I still feel that way. There is absolutely no comparison to any disaster that has ever happened in this country, we have the ability to help ourselves & police our citizens thru any crisis they don’t. The Haitian people are now in survival mode and reports are saying survivors are starting to leave the capital in droves looting what they can as they head for the countryside. Desperate people will do desperate things and I can’t blame them, any one of us would do the same thing to survive under the circumstances. I would be worried about survivors heading to areas of the island where they think they may be able to find water, food and shelter and Labadie would be on their list putting RCL & its passengers at risk. Sad to say but lawless rioting has already started and will only get worse as the days go by. I know we all want to help and we can by donating money to the relief organizations and leave the recovery operations to the experts and just stay away for the time being. RCL has made the decision to go to Labadie and that’s their decision and I commended them for their efforts. I just hope that the well intentioned humanitarian supplies that they will be leaving at the island will get to those who need it and not just sit on the pier and go to waste. The infrastructure was primitive to say the least prior to the earthquake and is now completely destroyed so how do they expect to get these supplies to where it is needed the most. I am sure you are all reading the same thing I am, the dock facility in Port–au-Prince is intact but the roads leading to and from are complete destroyed and the single runway at the airport is overwhelmed with relief planes so all goods brought in have to be air lifted which the USS Carl Vinson will be doing but sadly due to the logistics and complete devastation its not happening fast enough.

I do understand the need to keep normal daily life going and having the ships visit Labadie is a weekly routine for some but will it be safe? I guess only time will tell. I am curious as to how much of the money paid by RCL to the Haitian government really gets to the average Haitian on the street. The Haitian government is know for its corruption and I can’t believe that he average Haitian ever sees a dime of that money.

Ron

Ron, I totally agree with you...perhaps no one is thinking about the four thousand prisoners that are also loose at this time. I am not comfortable with going at all. I am not trying to sound selfish; however, I booked this cruise mostly because I just lost my grandson to still born birth. I have been through nothing but sadness over the last six weeks, and this was to get my mind off of the horrible situation that I have just been through..watching my daughter grieve, burrying a newborn,..now this?? I donated money to two charities to help, I think the passenger aboard the ship should have had the option to opt out of going there. I also don't see how RCL can get foood to places that the US Coast Guard, military, and trained professionals can't seem to do.

I agree with LuckyStaci - We are all very close to people in need every day.

I wonder if the folks in large cities have trouble eating their lunch after walking past a homeless person on the way to the restaurant? Do they feel bad putting on a nice warm coat knowing there are children in their own community without winter clothing? The list goes on and on. Right in our own backyards there are people without adequate housing, clean water, etc. etc.

Do we only care because the horror was so sudden and it is in front of us on television 24/7?

I care...that is why I donated money!!!

Labadee is very isolated from the rest of the country. Port-au-Prince is too far away for "looters", etc. It's isolated, it's hard to get to as the roads are limited and crimminals do not fear the authorities in the cities as they are too busy dealing with everything else so why would they go far? Labadee should be perfectly safe and I'm totally amazed with some people's guilt and inability to understand how much Haiti needs the revenue that is brought in by the cruise industry. My feeling is, if it bothers you so much, change cruises to one that doesn't go to Labadee but don't expect the cruiseline to change because of your feelings.

For all of you that feel so guilty about spending a vacation on Labadee, think about everywhere else you visit where there is poverty and suffering. It's part of life and it's not something that will ever be "cured". Part of it is oppression by their own government, part is due to culture, and part is just the fact that not everyone lives the same life as everyone else. We didn't cause their problems, but we can help by bringing revenue to their country.

Don't confuse guilt with caring. Also, giving money is all well and good, but make sure you give to the groups can utilize it. We care and we give all year long to charities through our church which spends a lot of money and time in central america. We don't just give when there is an emergency, which is what a lot of people do.

There are a lot of people who will jump up and whine about how badly they feel, how upset they are, etc. It becomes about them, not the issue. If you really feel that badly, help, but don't tell others they don't care.

i just got off the phone with royal caribbean to see if we, as passengers, could bring care packages. if RC would see that they get to where they need to go. she was very nice but went onto some rant about how they don't have the personnell to sort throught things that we would bring. what sorting? if i brought a few bags of toiletries and goodies, all they have to do is transport them. they are transporting anyway. she said to donate money to red cross or some other worthy charity. i already did that. that is easy.

i'd like to do something more personal even. if the person recieving it didn;t know who i was, i knwo what i put in there. one of the dads from the soccer club said we could collect old soccer balls for the kids. no, it is not food, water or medical supplies but if it brings some joy, even if it is for just a few moments, then it is worth it.

oh well, i know i tried

I think that people on this board are being attacked for how they feel..hopefully they are all volunteering their time..and money. I too feel it is horrible to go into Labadee!!!!

Yes, I think we should all remember to let everyone feel as they feel.....we can't control that. But we also need to respect another's opinion, myself included. Sometimes it's hard, I know!

I think that people on this board are being attacked for how they feel..hopefully they are all volunteering their time..and money. I too feel it is horrible to go into Labadee!!!!

Most here have agreed to disagree so don't get yourself worked up. Some just have to attack opinions that are different than their own. Just put them on ignore or skip their posts.:)

Also, my sympathies on your loss.

Nobody is forced to go to Labadee - there is always the option of remaining on the ship. Some people opted to remain on the ship even prior to the horrible earthquake. There is nothing wrong with your not wanting to go to Labadee; nobody should force you off the ship or try to make you feel bad about that decision - you are entitled to feel that way. However you should not tell other people they should stay away from Labadee. The Hatian government wants Royal Caribbean to continue calling there and the people of Labadee need Royal Caribbean to continue calling there. A lot of good comes from Royal Caribbean calling on Labadee.

Sorry to hear about your grandson.

i just got off the phone with royal caribbean to see if we, as passengers, could bring care packages. if RC would see that they get to where they need to go. she was very nice but went onto some rant about how they don't have the personnell to sort throught things that we would bring. what sorting? if i brought a few bags of toiletries and goodies, all they have to do is transport them. they are transporting anyway. she said to donate money to red cross or some other worthy charity. i already did that. that is easy.

i'd like to do something more personal even. if the person recieving it didn;t know who i was, i knwo what i put in there. one of the dads from the soccer club said we could collect old soccer balls for the kids. no, it is not food, water or medical supplies but if it brings some joy, even if it is for just a few moments, then it is worth it.

oh well, i know i tried

If you want to do that, IMO it would be better to just hand the items to any of the guys in Labadee as a gift. Unless RCI is willing to do what you asked, which I doubt, you might be better off just bringing things to give to the people on Labadee. They all need help, so maybe you'd like that idea.

That's what I would do it I was going...it all trickles down anyhow, IMO. Those people have family/friends in that area as well, I'm sure. You'd be helping people, that's what's most important. That entire country is in a sad state.

Ron, I totally agree with you...perhaps no one is thinking about the four thousand prisoners that are also loose at this time. I am not comfortable with going at all. I am not trying to sound selfish; however, I booked this cruise mostly because I just lost my grandson to still born birth. I have been through nothing but sadness over the last six weeks, and this was to get my mind off of the horrible situation that I have just been through..watching my daughter grieve, burrying a newborn,..now this?? I donated money to two charities to help, I think the passenger aboard the ship should have had the option to opt out of going there. I also don't see how RCL can get foood to places that the US Coast Guard, military, and trained professionals can't seem to do.

I'm sorry about your family's loss.

If hope you decide to take the cruise, RCCL has cancelled stops on Labadee in the past due to political unrest - I'm sure if they felt their passengers were at risk they would not stop.

If you read any of the other comments that have been made - RCCL is working with on ground relief agencies in Haiti who are grateful for the donations and are assisting with getting the items to where they can do the most good.

In addition, a good number of the prisoners who are loose are probably political prisoners from the last governmental over throw in Haiti.

I applaud you for trying to do the right thing, but likely what the RC representative told you is correct. It is not easy to transport items from Labadee to the region most impacted by the earthquake. Mountains and 100 miles of bad roads lie in the way - although 100 miles may not sounds like a lot, realize that we are not talking about highway driving or anything closely resembling that. It appears as though Royal has made arrangements to transport some much needed food and water to the impacted region, but the logistics of doing this are not easy and it is doubtful they have room (or the resources) to start taking on random (but well meant) offerings from passengers. There likely will come a time when passengers can bring items onboard to be donated, but for now all the major relief agencies that have expertise in responding to disasters like this are advising people to donate money if they want to help.

Some are not going to like this - but for the people who think they know better than the professionals (ie the relief agencies) they are better off to give nothing, or to give to local charities in need than to burden an overstretched system even further.

There are local foster programs, homeless shelters and Coats for Kids charities in their communities that could make immediate use of those out grown clothes. Why send them to a country that needs food, water and medical supplies before they even start to worry about clothing? I see it as ego - "I know better than they" how to do this.

Being a person who has not the money I simply said I understand their want to give "items" as opposed to money. I also know the havoc that can be caused as I experienced it on the receiveing end due to a horrific tornado in 1983. They had all these baby socks which the people didn't need they had that they needed formula, food, diapers etc. So I do understand that but often times people on the outside don't understand the logistics and feel they want to help but don't have the monetary means to do so. Most will donate to the local charities but when everytime you turn on the TV you see the devestation you want to help goods may be all they have. Quite often a person has more food stamps than they can use yet don't have the cash to pay their rent. I for one have been there many years ago. That is not a good place to be as food will not put a roof over your head. This delimma also demonstrates the need for cash as opposed to goods as they have nothing. No food, no water, no roof and yes they don't have shoes(they often don't wear shoes, disaster or not). The point is that the people who want to donate goods should not be belittled or argued with over their desire to help in the way they are capable of.

In addition, a good number of the prisoners who are loose are probably political prisoners from the last governmental over throw in Haiti.

and it is not just prisioners. how many women were assaulted by regular people after surviving the tsunami years ago? it is terrible sad how people can be so evil.

yes, i will probably bring my own stuff to give to someone. my daughter wants to throw in some toys. we were going to do it anyway, it just changes the things that i am putting into the bags.

Feelings aren't right or wrong. They just are.

Some people want to do all they can on the island to help and some don't want to go.

There are options for those who don't want to go to Labadee. They can change their cruise or stay on the ship.

There is poverty in so many of the Caribbean islands and yet we continue to go to them. If the situation isn't safe, I feel sure RCCL won't stop there.

I applaud you for trying to do the right thing, but likely what the RC representative told you is correct. It is not easy to transport items from Labadee to the region most impacted by the earthquake. Mountains and 100 miles of bad roads lie in the way - although 100 miles may not sounds like a lot, realize that we are not talking about highway driving or anything closely resembling that. It appears as though Royal has made arrangements to transport some much needed food and water to the impacted region, but the logistics of doing this are not easy and it is doubtful they have room (or the resources) to start taking on random (but well meant) offerings from passengers. There likely will come a time when passengers can bring items onboard to be donated, but for now all the major relief agencies that have expertise in responding to disasters like this are advising people to donate money if they want to help.

You are absolutely correct about the roads. I was watching CNN a little while ago and they showed a film from a film school that is 25 miles south of Port Au Prince. The film had a website on it so I went and watched other videos plus there are posting from teachers and students. There was a post about how the director of the school got to the area after the quake. Here is the link:

www.cineinstitute.com

Being a person who has not the money I simply said I understand their want to give "items" as opposed to money. I also know the havoc that can be caused as I experienced it on the receiveing end due to a horrific tornado in 1983. They had all these baby socks which the people didn't need they had that they needed formula, food, diapers etc. So I do understand that but often times people on the outside don't understand the logistics and feel they want to help but don't have the monetary means to do so. Most will donate to the local charities but when everytime you turn on the TV you see the devestation you want to help goods may be all they have. Quite often a person has more food stamps than they can use yet don't have the cash to pay their rent. I for one have been there many years ago. That is not a good place to be as food will not put a roof over your head. This delimma also demonstrates the need for cash as opposed to goods as they have nothing. No food, no water, no roof and yes they don't have shoes(they often don't wear shoes, disaster or not). The point is that the people who want to donate goods should not be belittled or argued with over their desire to help in the way they are capable of.

I know exactly what you mean about living from paycheck to paycheck and it not quite making it.

But my answer was in response to the ones who felt that just donating money was not enough or they felt that their tangible donation would do more good than a check because they heard from so and so that not all the money goes where it is needed most.

By giving goods rather than cash - if you can afford to give and I think for the most part if we are able to spend money on frivoulous things like cruises we can spare a few for charity, although I know there are some regular posters on here going through really tough financial times and cruises are not on their agenda any time soon, we are a taking the aid agencies away from the most needed tasks at hand. Plus, if people think there is shrinkage when they donate money - they have no idea how much of material contributions are wasted.

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandson. Having lost my husband and mother both in two years time I feel your pain. As for the passangers being able to opt out they can stay on the boat they are not forced onto the island. There may not be alot to do but then there want be a crowd and no lines at the activities that are on the ship.

After reading thru all the threads there is a few common themes about this. Understandably most people's opinion is emotionally driven which sometimes transends logic. Here are some of the things I've read why RCCL should avoid Labadee:

1. Guilt

Many people has indicated that they would feel too guilty sunning on a beach enjoying a cocktail knowing hundreds of thousands of people are dying/dead 100 miles away.

There are a couple of things wrong with this. First, what does distance have to do with it? Would you feel less guilty if you were in Cozumel? Why? The tragedy doesn't change. People still needs help.

Guilt implies that something is your fault. No one is at fault here. In this case its a selfish emotion because if you feel guilty that you are not suffering when others are, it somehow makes you feel better. This helps no one but yourself. Compassion is what we should be feeling here.

2. Logistics

Getting food, water and medical supplies is too difficult to transport from Labadee 100 miles to Port of Prince...it'll just stay at the dock.

Consider this - The cruise industry is the best in coordinating these types of logistics. They do it every day when they turn over a ship. Give RCCL some credit in that they have this worked out. Everyone is assuming that these items will be transported over ground. Anyone heard of helicopters? I suspect that RCCL has partnered with a Red Cross like organization to be a distribution center.

3. Labadee help

Docking in Labadee doesn't help the people in Port of Prince.

This is a short term view. Maybe it doesn't immediately help these people but it does in the long term. First, thru the port fees, Haiti receives over 100K each week from RCCL. Some may argue how much of that actually helps the people rather then some corrupt politicians, however, I contend that its better than no money. 2nd, helping the workers in Labadee by keeping them employed indirectly helps. I'm sure these workers have family and friends that are affected and need money to help them out.

4. Safety

The desperate situation in Port of Prince coupled with a weak government and police force makes Haiti a dangerous country to be in. There are looters and rioters and are starting to move to the countryside for food.

The fact is that Haiti has always been a dangerous place. Why do you think there is a fence 14 foot wide surrounding the property? Again, I have to believe that RCCL has this covered. Think of what it would do to them as a company if their customers were overran by rioters. Its clearly been stated that getting from Labadee to Port of Prince is not an easy thing to do because of poor infrastructure. Wouldn't you think that RCCL would have plenty of warning and time if the rioters head that way? Food and water are not stored on Labadee, but loaded from the ship.

As you may have guessed, I think RCCL is doing the right compassionate thing by keeping their Labadee schedule and transporting supplies into the country. I do not fault anyone that has a different opinion, but wanted to respond to some of the statements being thrown out there.

John

Happy Cruising

We will be on the NOS and are scheduled to be in Labadee on Monday. I just can't see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a b-b-q lunch, and enjoying a cocktail while a 100 miles away, there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water. I believe it would be disrespectful for me to come to their country and party while this tragedy is unfolding. This is not your typical situation. I understand that Haiti, Jamaica, etc. are poor countries and have a very low standard of living. I have no problem vacationing there in normal circumstances and always try to do business with locals. However, this country and its people (including the local staff at Labadee) are experiencing a major diaster. While I appreciate RCI's efforts on behalf of the Haitan people, I think I will stay on the ship that day and donate my excursion money via a charge on my onboard account. It is interesting to be faced with this sort of moral/ethical dilemma with something as carefree as a cruise.

After reading thru all the threads there is a few common themes about this. Understandably most people's opinion is emotionally driven which sometimes transends logic. Here are some of the things I've read why RCCL should avoid Labadee:

1. Guilt

Many people has indicated that they would feel too guilty sunning on a beach enjoying a cocktail knowing hundreds of thousands of people are dying/dead 100 miles away.

There are a couple of things wrong with this. First, what does distance have to do with it? Would you feel less guilty if you were in Cozumel? Why? The tragedy doesn't change. People still needs help.

Guilt implies that something is your fault. No one is at fault here. In this case its a selfish emotion because if you feel guilty that you are not suffering when others are, it somehow makes you feel better. This helps no one but yourself. Compassion is what we should be feeling here.

2. Logistics

Getting food, water and medical supplies is too difficult to transport from Labadee 100 miles to Port of Prince...it'll just stay at the dock.

Consider this - The cruise industry is the best in coordinating these types of logistics. They do it every day when they turn over a ship. Give RCCL some credit in that they have this worked out. Everyone is assuming that these items will be transported over ground. Anyone heard of helicopters? I suspect that RCCL has partnered with a Red Cross like organization to be a distribution center.

3. Labadee help

This is a short term view. Maybe it doesn't immediately help these people but it does in the long term. First, thru the port fees, Haiti receives over 100K each week from RCCL. Some may argue how much of that actually helps the people rather then some corrupt politicians, however, I contend that its better than no money. 2nd, helping the workers in Labadee by keeping them employed indirectly helps. I'm sure these workers have family and friends that are affected and need money to help them out.

4. Safety

The desperate situation in Port of Prince coupled with a weak government and police force makes Haiti a dangerous country to be in. There are looters and rioters and are starting to move to the countryside for food.

The fact is that Haiti has always been a dangerous place. Why do you think there is a fence 14 foot wide surrounding the property? Again, I have to believe that RCCL has this covered. Think of what it would do to them as a company if their customers were overran by rioters. Its clearly been stated that getting from Labadee to Port of Prince is not an easy thing to do because of poor infrastructure. Wouldn't you think that RCCL would have plenty of warning and time if the rioters head that way? Food and water are not stored on Labadee, but loaded from the ship.

As you may have guessed, I think RCCL is doing the right compassionate thing by keeping their Labadee schedule and transporting supplies into the country. I do not fault anyone that has a different opinion, but wanted to respond to some of the statements being thrown out there.

John

Happy Cruising

John,

I couldn't agree more!

1. Guilt

2. Logistics

3. Labadee help

4. Safety

John

Happy Cruising

Extremely well said!!!

We will be on the NOS and are scheduled to be in Labadee on Monday. I just can't see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a b-b-q lunch, and enjoying a cocktail while a 100 miles away, there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water. I believe it would be disrespectful for me to come to their country and party while this tragedy is unfolding. This is not your typical situation. I understand that Haiti, Jamaica, etc. are poor countries and have a very low standard of living. I have no problem vacationing there in normal circumstances and always try to do business with locals. However, this country and its people (including the local staff at Labadee) are experiencing a major diaster. While I appreciate RCI's efforts on behalf of the Haitan people, I think I will stay on the ship that day and donate my excursion money via a charge on my onboard account. It is interesting to be faced with this sort of moral/ethical dilemma with something as carefree as a cruise.

How is it "disrespectful" to spend money in their country? This logic eludes me as does the guilt that some feel. Be thankful for what you have, give what you can, and live the life you have been given. Not doing so is disrespectful of the blessings you have been given.

Longwood, I completely agree.

Do we only care because the horror was so sudden and it is in front of us on television 24/7?

Yes, for the most part. It's sad to say and it sux but yeah, it's pretty much true. Only, I don't think it's that people didn't care - it's just that they didn't think about it because it wasn't in their living room each night. Children starve and die in these countries every single day. Every day that we are comfortable, they still do. That is a mind numbing and absolutely soul crushing thought and I think it's so difficult to wrap our minds around that since most of us are so fortunate (you're not poor if you have internet, cable tv, dvd, iphones, running water, adequate food for yourself and family, money to vacation) we just don't see it. It gets much easier to 'put things away' in the back of your mind when you don't have to see it every day. That's why there are so many studies done linking global depression with the age of information - bringing all of the worlds real horrors and problems into our visual and audio minds has been really hard for many people. Understandably.

"How is it "disrespectful" to spend money in their country? This logic eludes me as does the guilt that some feel. Be thankful for what you have, give what you can, and live the life you have been given. Not doing so is disrespectful of the blessings you have been given."

Sometimes, it is not about the money. It is about respect - and I respect the Haitian people's grief and suffering due to a tragedy of international proportions. Some of them have lost everything and all of them have lost something or someone. While I agree it is my duty to share my blessings, I do not think I should do it by waving my blessings in the face of people experiencing an enormorus tragedy.

Archived