Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

yes, yes, yes, I hear you "donate money" people, ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Apparently it is not enough that someone might want to donate a pair of shoes, garment of clothing or can of food.....the only thing they are "supposed" to donate is MONEY.

RCCL is NOT using their ships to transport MONEY to Haiti. They are using their ships to transport RELIEF GOODS. If all Haiti needed was MONEY then all these countries would not be sending relief goods.

I tell you, there are a great many people who will not donate money but they will donate a usable item. Every time someone chimes in or posts about how Haiti "doesn't need that, they need money" you ARE discouraging the person who wont donate money, but might have donated a durable good, from donating anything. In effect you are eliminating a donation.

Consider that.

Exactly. I have no idea why certain people continue to respond to posts offering goods with "SEND MONEY!!!" like they're not aware of the option to do that, as well. People are giving what they can.

I'm proud to be going to Labadee with Liberty of the Seas on Tuesday and will happily spend what I can to help the locals working there. I was laid off yesterday-but that is nothing compared to what is happening in Haiti.

If it was determined by the UN and the government of Haiti that resuming port calls was the best thing to do-then who are we to 2nd guess those who know what is truly going on? I mean really.

I can't believe how heartless some of the posters here seem to be. RCI is not going back to Labadee because of the revenue it generates. I promise. They have a 30 year relationship with the people of Haiti. This tragedy is hitting RCI employees personally. As I've posted before-sometimes it's not just about money but about doing what is right. And it seems that going back is the right thing to do.

I've read about people that visited Phuket a few weeks after the Tsunami and all the locals wanted was for the tourists to come back.

Jsnow--I'm sorry you were laid off. Hope better things are ahead for you.

What some of the well meaning posters on here don't seem to understand - there is more to Haiti than the capital, Port au Prince.

It has been well pointed out that although people in the Northern area around Cap Hatian probably have friends and relatives in Port au Prince, they are well removed and are not pulling people from the rubble.

By being in Labadee the cruiseline is not taking away from relief efforts in other parts of the country. By utilizing the dock and hopefully allowing other relief efforts to utilize the docks will help with those efforts.

I do not recall any cruiseline stopping their visits to Mobile or other northern Gulf of Mexico ports due to Katrina - not the same level of death but pretty devastating destruction. Cruises went out of Baltimore and Philadelphia in Sept 2001 even though bodies were being pulled out of the rubble of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon just miles away.

I do not think it will be the same level of a party there - but more of a visit with a determination and purpose. By tipping workers, purchasing from vendors and other activities cruisers will be helping the locals in Cap Hatian and the relief efforts in Port au Prince.

Royal Caribbean has announced they will be giving proceeds from on shore activities to the relief effort. Plus from other reports on here, locals routinely take left over food back home at the end of the day.

If you read the blog 100 per cent of shore excursions, etc. that is spent tomorrow will be donated to Haiti I am assuming that means the mats, coaster, zip line, etc. Royal Carib. doesn't need to do that so I think we should give them credit for doing it.

Here is the blog quote "And, we’ve agreed to commit 100 percent of the net proceeds from tomorrow’s tours and shore excursions during Independence of the Seas’ call to the Haitian relief effort".

Bravo Royal Caribbean! This is the point I was trying to put across yesterday - because Labadee is an access controlled, private peninusula of land, the majority of the money spent there goes back to RCCL. There are no independent taxi drivers, restaurant operators, bars, shops etc as in other Caribbean ports. I felt that simply going back there wasn't enough. This is the sort of gesture that shows a commitment. I hope they continue it for a while.

Exactly. I have no idea why certain people continue to respond to posts offering goods with "SEND MONEY!!!" like they're not aware of the option to do that, as well. People are giving what they can.

Because in the past relief groups after hurricanes and floods have been overwhelmed by well meaning individuals donations of clothing and other items that has ended up rotting in warehouses. It is a waste of time and energy to have to deal with it.

Because in the past relief groups after hurricanes and floods have been overwhelmed by well meaning individuals donations of clothing and other items that has ended up rotting in warehouses. It is a waste of time and energy to have to deal with it.

I understand that, but respectfully disagree.

Sometimes after a major disaster like the quake, people want to get back to normal. Many of the people of Labadee are hearing, or watching coverage of the quake (much like we had with 9/11) and could be looking for a break from the tragedy. Going back to Labadee could provide that break.

And people of Labadee are not right next to Port au Prince.

After the earthquake of '89 in San Francisco did people stop going to DisneyWorld or Yosemite or Lake Tahoe? NO. Imagine if people said "Oh, San Francisco is suffering, let's cancel our trip to Tahoe or Yosemite" I bet the people in Tahoe/Yosemite/S. California would not have appreciated that.

It's not a perfect analogy....but think along those lines.

In the end, you just have to do what you feel is best. I'll be happily going on my cruise in April. I'll be contacting RCCL in a few weeks to find out if they'll have donation depots at the port and will collect from friends at work and drive a carload to the port when I go (in addition to financial contributions). I'll also spend a lot more than I normally would have at the port to help out the local economy (we're already extremely generous tippers, but we'll go above and beyond what we normally do).

And yes, I'll enjoy the beach and the zipline and the BBQ without feeling guilty. I do what I can to help others and continue on with my life. I see homeless people every single day....I give some food to them and then head home and go to sleep.

I know you disagree, and I respect your opinion, but just wanted to share with all the people that want to help - this is posted this morning on the red cross website. Please help them by giving them what is needed - not what we may think is needed. We should be helping because we want to help, not just because it makes us feel good to give 'anything' at all. Gestures like that are wonderful in theory, but actually impede helping these good people. Hold onto those things you want to give until they let you know they are ready to accept them. To do otherwise is to be the opposite of helpful, respectfully. Just because we want to do something and can't give money (lots of people aren't in the position to) doesn't mean we should be selfish and give items that can't be used right now - be selfless and give those much needed items WHEN they are needed.:o

At this time, what we need the most are financial contributions, whether by check, online or by phone.

The Red Cross does not accept or solicit small, individual donations or collections of items for emergency relief purposes. Small items such as collections of food, used clothing, and shoes often must be cleaned, sorted, and repackaged which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel that are needed for other aspects of our relief operation. The Red Cross, in partnership with other agencies, suggests that the best use for those types of donations is to support needy agencies within donors' local communities.

You cant just bring goods and leave them on the doorstep. The recipient of the goods, in this case Haiti, needs to be prepared to receive and disburse the goods, other wise that is exactly what happens.

When people post about donating goods and other posters chastise them and say 'they don't need goods, they need money' it almost feels like your offer to help 'wasn't good enough'. In time there will be a means for donating supplies and goods and the people who want to help in that manner will be able to do so.

We should always try to remember that the essence of all of it is "I want to help" and not jump all over each other. (that comment is no way directed at you LuckiStac13*Majesty)

And people of Labadee are not right next to Port au Prince.

After the earthquake of '89 in San Francisco did people stop going to DisneyWorld or Yosemite or Lake Tahoe? NO. Imagine if people said "Oh, San Francisco is suffering, let's cancel our trip to Tahoe or Yosemite" I bet the people in Tahoe/Yosemite/S. California would not have appreciated that.

It's not a perfect analogy....but think along those lines.

In the end, you just have to do what you feel is best. I'll be happily going on my cruise in April. I'll be contacting RCCL in a few weeks to find out if they'll have donation depots at the port and will collect from friends at work and drive a carload to the port when I go (in addition to financial contributions). I'll also spend a lot more than I normally would have at the port to help out the local economy (we're already extremely generous tippers, but we'll go above and beyond what we normally do).

And yes, I'll enjoy the beach and the zipline and the BBQ without feeling guilty. I do what I can to help others and continue on with my life. I see homeless people every single day....I give some food to them and then head home and go to sleep.

I agree! I really do not understand the idea not visiting Labadee. The Haitian vendors and employeees there depend on the revenue from the cruiselines to feed their families. By not stopping there you are actually hurting the Haitian economy more.

I don't understand the "guilt " comments either. There is poverty and hardship on many of the islands we visit. I feel compassion but not guilt when I sit on the beach and relax. I work very hard and have earned that ability. I also donate very generously to charities. By visiting these places we can only hope that the dollars we spend are contirbuting to the standard of living in each place. We can't do this if we stay away.

When people post about donating goods and other posters chastise them and say 'they don't need goods, they need money' it almost feels like your offer to help 'wasn't good enough'. In time there will be a means for donating supplies and goods and the people who want to help in that manner will be able to do so.

We should always try to remember that the essence of all of it is "I want to help" and not jump all over each other.

I don't think it is meant to be critical just truthful. If you asked me (and I'm sure you would do the same) to donate a pair of shoes I would either give a new/ gently worn pair from my closet or go out and buy a new pair. Unfortunately some people mistake donations with getting rid of worn-out useless trash. This is evident at our local Good Will where if you drive around back the dumpsters are filled with trash that people have "donated". Unfortunately Good Will has to pay an employeee money that could be used for much better reasons to sort through this junk and pay to have it hauled away. This happens quite a bit with all charities and unfortunately if it happen in Haiti it would be a nightmare, being an island and with them having everything else to dispose of. I would think Royal caribben is in close contact with the relief agencys and is bringing the items that are most needed.

I am amazed at how fast the relief effort began. The ground hadn't even stopped shaking and 2 or 3 emergency response teams from Southern Cal were waiting for their marching orders.

These are complete teams with planeloads (C17) of food, medical supplies, search & rescue equipment and personnal. The people of Haiti are now benefitting from our experience. I'm glad we can help.

IMHO, send money to a reputable agency. Us laypeople have no idea what is needed. Nor do we have the bulk buying power.

The ground in Haiti will be shaking for weeks with aftershocks, only bringing more devestation.

As far as ship porting at Labadee. It's good. Brings desperately needed money into the country, gives people a sense of normalcy & routine. That's very important. Been there, done that. Lived through too many earthquakes. Voice of Experience.

I know you disagree, and I respect your opinion, but just wanted to share with all the people that want to help - this is posted this morning on the red cross website. Please help them by giving them what is needed - not what we may think is needed. We should be helping because we want to help, not just because it makes us feel good to give 'anything' at all. Gestures like that are wonderful in theory, but actually impede helping these good people. Hold onto those things you want to give until they let you know they are ready to accept them. To do otherwise is to be the opposite of helpful, respectfully. Just because we want to do something and can't give money (lots of people aren't in the position to) doesn't mean we should be selfish and give items that can't be used right now - be selfless and give those much needed items WHEN they are needed.:o

At this time, what we need the most are financial contributions, whether by check, online or by phone.

The Red Cross does not accept or solicit small, individual donations or collections of items for emergency relief purposes. Small items such as collections of food, used clothing, and shoes often must be cleaned, sorted, and repackaged which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel that are needed for other aspects of our relief operation. The Red Cross, in partnership with other agencies, suggests that the best use for those types of donations is to support needy agencies within donors' local communities.

Fair enough. They certainly know better than I do. If I was visiting Labadee soon, though, I would still bring along something, in addition to cash, to give. That's just my personal feeling on it. The main issue here is helping, and I do understand what you're saying.

We should always try to remember that the essence of all of it is "I want to help" and not jump all over each other. (that comment is no way directed at you LuckiStac13*Majesty)

Understood :)

I will be on the Navigator docking in Labadee on Monday, and proud to do so. I too feel the strong desire to pack up extra suitcases of clothing and supplies, but know that at this point in time, so near to the disaster, money is the best thing to donate, so that is what I am doing.

I do and will still feel awful about how much suffering is happening just 100 miles away, but knowing that I have done all I can do, physically and monetarily, why should I feel guilty for that? I applaud RCCL donating its shore proceeds from Labadee, and I hope they will do that for my sailing as well.

I don't think it is meant to be critical just truthful. If you asked me (and I'm sure you would do the same) to donate a pair of shoes I would either give a new/ gently worn pair from my closet or go out and buy a new pair. Unfortunately some people mistake donations with getting rid of worn-out useless trash. This is evident at our local Good Will where if you drive around back the dumpsters are filled with trash that people have "donated". Unfortunately Good Will has to pay an employeee money that could be used for much better reasons to sort through this junk and pay to have it hauled away. This happens quite a bit with all charities and unfortunately if it happen in Haiti it would be a nightmare, being an island and with them having everything else to dispose of. I would think Royal caribben is in close contact with the relief agencys and is bringing the items that are most needed.

Great points, never thought of that...

Fair enough. They certainly know better than I do. If I was visiting Labadee soon, though, I would still bring along something, in addition to cash, to give. That's just my personal feeling on it. The main issue here is helping, and I do understand what you're saying.

You seem like a very sweet and generous person! I'm glad there are folks like you out there :)

It is not as though people want to stop going to Labadee permanently, they just want them to suspend stopping there for a period of time (likely months) until the Haitians have time to deal with the disaster at hand. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand.

Wow, you would want to deprive the people of Labadee for months of their livelihood? Why? Many, many families depend on Royal Caribbean calling on Labadee - it is their only source of income! Do you realize the harm that would be caused if Royal Caribbean placed a moratorium on calling on Labadee for a period of months? If some people are uncomfortable leaving the ship while in Labadee, that is fine and that is their personal choice, but do not punish the good people of Labadee because of your own personal discomfort by asking for nobody to be able to visit Labadee and provide the people there with much needed income.

Edit: Thank you LuckyPrincess for your thoughtful comments about how people can best help those in need. :)

What some of the well meaning posters on here don't seem to understand - there is more to Haiti than the capital, Port au Prince.

It has been well pointed out that although people in the Northern area around Cap Hatian probably have friends and relatives in Port au Prince, they are well removed and are not pulling people from the rubble.

By being in Labadee the cruiseline is not taking away from relief efforts in other parts of the country. By utilizing the dock and hopefully allowing other relief efforts to utilize the docks will help with those efforts.

Just to add to this...

It is reasonable to expect a lot of people from PAP to be evacuating to other Haitian towns. Cap Hatien seems to be an ideal place to relocate. All the more reason to keep pumping money in to that area.

Labadee, while easily able to accomodate a large ship is not a very good off-load area for donations. One, there are no cranes for offloading of heavy items. Two, the area between the pier and gate is, at least, a few hundred yards of sand. Three, from what I am hearing, the road infrastructure is crap. Many of the roads are destroyed closer to PAP and Labadee is quite a distance. 80-100 miles does not sound like much to us, but it might as well be 1000 miles in Haiti with the road conditions.

So where actually is Labadee?? I know I read on here it is 0ver 100 miles from the earthquake, but didn't know where??

Can you actually tour the island of Haiti? or are you restricted to Labadee??

You are restricted to Labadee. Even without this natural disaster the country is in such turmoil especially near POP that it would not be safe. There is a giant fence around it with armed guards at the gate. I have heard the only way to go out the gate is with a direct ticket to jail or the nearest airport.

Archived