Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

I have never been to Labadee but I suspect a ship visit is more of a profit center for RCCL than an economic engine for Haiti.

I appreciate that folks have various degrees of sensitivity concerning indulging themselves in the face of a great tragedy. If someone has no twinges of conscience lounging on the beach downing labadoozies during this situation, I say fine and cast no judgement, but please spare me the disingenuous notion that you are significantly contributing to the economic welfare of Hatians.

I think you will find that missing Labadee and having a seaday would actually be a bigger profit center for RCI, no port fees to pay, everyone onboard drinking, shopping and gambling

Totally agree with you negc in commenting to Irhcon.

After reading his negative posts, he makes me feel embarrassed to be from the same country that he is.

I have been to Labadee twice now (just got back before Christmas) and was totally impressed by the way that RCCl has supported the people in the Labadee/Cap Hatian area.

The have made a significant investment in the area and use local people to staff the beach area and do their construction.

I was told by a local guy that Royal invests in the schools in the small town of Labadee and really gets involved with the community.

The one thing that they need not only now but always, is the for tourists to come and spend whatever you can.

They are more than poor and I don't think that Royal should be criticized for making the area a part of their business plan.

The Haitian people in the Labadee area, would be much worse off without them.

I did a wonderful 2 hr. small boat tour, of the coastline in the Labadee area as a shore excursion and was shocked at the condition of the fishing boats that were going back and forth.

They were using any flat piece of cloth or cardboard as a sail.

The boats were nothing more than dilapidated rowboats, that didn't even look like they should have been on the water.

These conditions are not the fault of Royal.

The money that the locals make working for Royal, is helping the poor fishermen that use those boats.

Make sure you get off the ship in Labadee people and enjoy one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been.....

you have choices, get off the ship - stay on -

spend your money on items or donate how you like -

send relief supplies, send prayers.

no need to attack, judge, "spank", yell at, talk down to, talk at folks that respond to situations in different ways.... this is what makes it all work.... different avenues - different solutions.

all folks have a right to a belief - action - just remember to be considerate ..... these folks in Haiti have realized their despair.... they are living in despair.

prayers are needed....

give how you want....

they will appreciate anything and everything!

I'm with you TraceySue;)

It was hard enough to sit and eat a picnic lunch, before the earthquake, at Labadee knowing how many Haitians were starving.

I can't imagine having to choke down a burger there now knowing how many have died and how many are dying of thirst and who will probably die of their injuries.:(

When we were in Labadee in December on Oasis, Haitian musicians and other Haitians sat at the picnic tables with us and ate food from the BBQ buffet just like we did. Our BBQ included lobster tails and steaks, ribs, chicken and other delicious food. The Haitians were eating that same food.

If RCI did not have a place at Labadee, what would those same Haitian men and women have eaten for lunch that day?

I feel that RCI is doing more than most to provide an income to at least some Haitians. Would it be better for Haitians if RCI did not sail to Haiti at all?

I have never been to Labadee but I suspect a ship visit is more of a profit center for RCCL than an economic engine for Haiti.

I appreciate that folks have various degrees of sensitivity concerning indulging themselves in the face of a great tragedy. If someone has no twinges of conscience lounging on the beach downing labadoozies during this situation, I say fine and cast no judgement, but please spare me the disingenuous notion that you are significantly contributing to the economic welfare of Hatians.

Information reported 09/26/09:

...Of Haiti's 800,000 visitors last year, 500,000 were ferried in by Royal Caribbean. The cruise line charged each a $6 government tax, adding $3 million to government's coffers. The fee will be increased to $10 after the pier is completed over the next few weeks with the additional funds being used for improvements and operations, Weis said...

Complete article:

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:1goz6ZBaBf8J:www.haiti.org

Information reported 09/26/09:

...Of Haiti's 800,000 visitors last year, 500,000 were ferried in by Royal Caribbean. The cruise line charged each a $6 government tax, adding $3 million to government's coffers. The fee will be increased to $10 after the pier is completed over the next few weeks with the additional funds being used for improvements and operations, Weis said...

Complete article:

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:1goz6ZBaBf8J:www.haiti.org

Thank you. If this does not make it evident that RCI shouldn't stop going to Labadee, I don't know what will.

Let's all remember that CC has helpfully posted on its front page the best ways we can help folks in Haiti if we want to. The suggestions they post are to donate money via your computer or your phone. I think that's a pretty clear message on what is needed.

CNN is reporting that the pier in PAP is crumbled and ships are unable to get supplies from the ships to land that way. They will instead have to airlift many supplies in. What they need is water and medical supplies. Nothing else will do any good if they can't save anyone. Money can buy lots of bulk water and antibiotics that can get in quickly from well organized groups that know what they're doing.

It was hard enough to sit and eat a picnic lunch, before the earthquake, at Labadee knowing how many Haitians were starving.

I can't imagine having to choke down a burger there now knowing how many have died and how many are dying of thirst and who will probably die of their injuries.:(

I have to agree with you on this. I just can't imagine calling on Labadee, going ashore and enjoying all the fun stuff, knowing the death count less than 100 miles away.

I LOVE what NCL is doing. They are doing a monetary, dollar for dollar company match to the Red Cross.

I just listened to Bill Clinton speak and yes, it is money they need most, so monetary donations seem to be our best bet. I have given to both the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. Catholic Charities is another great organization as previously mentioned in this thread.

I can't watch the news or look at the photos without sobbing. It is so very, very sad.

I have to agree with you on this. I just can't imagine calling on Labadee, going ashore and enjoying all the fun stuff, knowing the death count less than 100 miles away.

I LOVE what NCL is doing. They are doing a monetary, dollar for dollar company match to the Red Cross.

I just listened to Bill Clinton speak and yes, it is money they need most, so monetary donations seem to be our best bet. I have given to both the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. Catholic Charities is another great organization as previously mentioned in this thread.

I can't watch the news or look at the photos without sobbing. It is so very, very sad.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to be harsh but you can sit around and cry or you can get up and do something! I guarantee the dollars RCCL will put into Haiti will far exceed NCL's matching money. But people are starving everywhere. If it bothers you that much to enjoy life while others suffer get out and volunteer in your own town. 100 miles away doesn't mean anything if you care that much -- there could be children who don't have anything to eat at the shelter in the town you live in. Stop watching TV, posting on CC and take them some food if this upsets you so much that you can not eat.

BUT, if you are going to stay on CC PLEASE read the entire thread and understand why it is so important for the ships to continue docking at Labadee. Read what it means to the local villagers in terms of supporting their families and Haiti in general in terms of money into the economy.

We'll be stopping in Haiti in March. I plan on getting off and supporting the locals, without the haggling, but it occured to me. By giving cash to the locals in Labadee, do you think that will help the people in Port Au Prince?

My daughter is going back in March to help rebuild the co-op the group that she goes with built. She knows so far of 4 girls she taught whom lost their lives. Still waiting to hear about the others..:( I think anything you can give will greatly appreciated. Keep them all in your prayers.

for the Haitians.

They can desalinate water for them, when i had my pool installed they brought a 500 gallon plastic container which they fulled with a garden hose while they were building the pool, then they pumped it into the pool, it weighed less than 20 lbs and 2 or 3 of them can easily fit on the back of a pickup truck. a few of these type of things could be filled during the day and then left for the locals, if they have fresh water they won't need to get it from elsewhere on the island..

The ship can leave them ice for refrigeration.

The ship can do some laundry for them.

The ship can provide electricity for them to charge up their cell phones, 66 % of the phones in Haiti are cell phones, those batteries will be dyng soon , then the power can be used in the capital for other things .

They can allow the locals to have a free meal, or 2 while working , and bring their family's too. once again if they have food they wont need to get it from downtown.

The ship could provide the children ice cream .. ok not necessary but we were all kids once.

The ship could provide communication to the outside world for the local workers, 5 or 10 minutes to check their messages or even just relax and surf the net .. ok I know i'm going to get bashed on that , but hey everyone deserves a couple of minutes off.

they could show a movie or otherwise entertain the kids for bit so the parents could do what they need to do, or just grieve a bit in private.

I'm sure there are lots more things that can be done , all while the ship is in port with little to no impact to the passengers, and without taking away from the money that will be donated.

Tom

Yeah, I'm sorry. I know they are meaning well trying to bring revenue back to Labadee and while if this was a prescheduled stop I would be all for docking and unloading supplies and donations. But they are still pulling people from the rubble. They don't need to be worrying about selling tshirts. I couldn't sit sunbathing a few miles where people are at the same time buried alive..... Let the country bury their dead. Contribute to your relief agencies and then show your support by buying their wares when they get back to some sense of normalcy.

for the Haitians.

They can desalinate water for them, when i had my pool installed they brought a 500 gallon plastic container which they fulled with a garden hose while they were building the pool, then they pumped it into the pool, it weighed less than 20 lbs and 2 or 3 of them can easily fit on the back of a pickup truck. a few of these type of things could be filled during the day and then left for the locals, if they have fresh water they won't need to get it from elsewhere on the island..

The ship can provide electricity for them to charge up their cell phones, 66 % of the phones in Haiti are cell phones, those batteries will be dyng soon , then the power can be used in the capital for other things .

They can allow the locals to have a free meal, or 2 while working , and bring their family's too. once again if they have food they wont need to get it from downtown.

The ship could provide the children ice cream .. ok not necessary but we were all kids once.

The ship could provide communication to the outside world for the local workers, 5 or 10 minutes to check their messages or even just relax and surf the net .. ok I know i'm going to get bashed on that , but hey everyone deserves a couple of minutes off.

they could show a movie or otherwise entertain the kids for bit so the parents could do what they need to do, or just grieve a bit in private.

I'm sure there are lots more things that can be done , all while the ship is in port with little to no impact to the passengers, and without taking away from the money that will be donated.

Tom

Water, dried/canned food, would be the most important right now. RCCL docks an area not affected much. But having a desalination plant docked could be useful. Containers for storing the water, fuel and physically transporting the water to other areas would be a problem. Without some type of ground support..sea support might not be that useful, despite best intentions.

Water, dried/canned food, would be the most important right now. RCCL docks an area not affected much. But having a desalination plant docked could be useful. Containers for storing the water, fuel and physically transporting the water to other areas would be a problem. Without some type of ground support..sea support might not be that useful, despite best intentions.

Goldstein mentioned in his blog today that RCI has lined up ground support to get the supplies from Labadee to Port-au-Prince.

If you read the blog 100 per cent of shore excursions, etc. that is spent tomorrow will be donated to Haiti I am assuming that means the mats, coaster, zip line, etc. Royal Carib. doesn't need to do that so I think we should give them credit for doing it.

i am surprised that they are going in so soon after the disaster, I think it would make more sense to allow a little bit of time for the dust to settle, for the after shocks to stop, the relief workers and govt get some sort of order and then resume port calls.

Last thing you want to see is another disaster occuring.

Esp if it is preventable.

Let the professionals do thier jobs and let boats that are not able to dock in POP dock in Labadee

Goldstein mentioned in his blog today that RCI has lined up ground support to get the supplies from Labadee to Port-au-Prince.

Labadee is over 100 miles north/northwest of Port-au-Prince and there was little if any damage there as the fault line runs across the southern part of the island. If you look at Google maps or satellite photos, the road infrastructure on the island is minimal. Goods can be shipped from Labadee to PAP but it will be a slow process. Also, the new pier is for passengers. There are no freight handling cranes or other heavy equipment on the pier or ashore. They will have to bring in virtually everything. At present they will have to use a forklift from the ships to offload pallets of supplies.

I believe that the RCCL stops in Labadee do provide a significant source of income to Haiti and I admire RCCL for resuming the port calls to Haiti so quickly. Personally, if I were going to Labadee in the near future, I would spend time in the market purchasing items from the locals first, then spend some time on the beach. I can't say how somber that time on the beach might be, but I'd be willing to risk that. I think it would be a better option than avoiding the situation all together.

On our visit to Labadee last year, we found it very beautiful and enjoyed the interaction with the locals. Perhaps the press around RCCLs actions will encourage other companies to focus on tourism in Haiti. Maybe tourism could even become a primary source of revenue for rebuilding the country. Just a dream, but you never know.

Labadee is over 100 miles north/northwest of Port-au-Prince and there was little if any damage there as the fault line runs across the southern part of the island. If you look at Google maps or satellite photos, the road infrastructure on the island is minimal. Goods can be shipped from Labadee to PAP but it will be a slow process. Also, the new pier is for passengers. There are no freight handling cranes or other heavy equipment on the pier or ashore. They will have to bring in virtually everything. At present they will have to use a forklift from the ships to offload pallets of supplies.

I trust RCI knows what they are doing. They wouldn't bring all of those relief supplies down there if they did not know how to get them to Port-au-Prince.

I"m still shocked that people think we shouldn't be going to Labadee.

I remember going to New Orleans a year after Katrina for vacation....every single local that I interacted with (i.e. had extended conversations with) was telling me how desperate they were for tourism. I was just there last year again and they said tourism still wasn't back to pre-Katrina levels. People's livelihoods depend on that tourism and they can't rebuild their homes without jobs, etc.

I would expect that the same thing would hold in Labadee/Haiti.

So where actually is Labadee?? I know I read on here it is 0ver 100 miles from the earthquake, but didn't know where??

Can you actually tour the island of Haiti? or are you restricted to Labadee??

Go to google maps, look for Cap-Haitien on the north coast of the island, and go northwest from there until you hit coast again. You can see it pretty well.

Let's all remember that CC has helpfully posted on its front page the best ways we can help folks in Haiti if we want to. The suggestions they post are to donate money via your computer or your phone. I think that's a pretty clear message on what is needed.

CNN is reporting that the pier in PAP is crumbled and ships are unable to get supplies from the ships to land that way. They will instead have to airlift many supplies in. What they need is water and medical supplies. Nothing else will do any good if they can't save anyone. Money can buy lots of bulk water and antibiotics that can get in quickly from well organized groups that know what they're doing.

exactly! I implore all those that will be visiting soon to not burden the relief workers with more material things that they now have to take resuce workers away from more important duties to sort, divvy up and then transport over a very difficult terrain. I've been reading numerous pleas from all rescue and relief organizations and some are outright asking for us not to burden them with these well intentioned goods. You'll only be making their mission more difficult. It's not like they have warehouses around that they can store all of these 3000 shoes until they rescue those that would be able to use them. Right now they ALL are asking for money to buy pure water, food (not canned goods - they need to get military rations) and medicine.

When it comes to a disaster like this, those relief organizations know what to do and they know what they need when they need it. Please, although noble, it hinders their efforts to take people away from the very important work of rescuing, tending to victims and securing food/water to sort through clothing and shoes and canned goods that can't be used right now. I'm sure that in the coming weeks, when the important first steps are realized, they will ask for these items. Although it would be more convienent for us to bring them with us on our cruise - let's give them when they are needed. It would be like going to Habitat for Humanity and giving a complete set of furniture to a family that doesn't have a house yet. Is it a kind thing to do? Yes, of course. Is it helpful at this moment? No. Does sorting, storing and transporting it take people away from the more important work of building the house? Yes. It's much the same. No one should be criticized for wanting to help. But please put aside your own feelings of wanting to do good whether it is helpful or not and give what is needed now. The adage of 'any help will be appreciated' isn't the entire truth in this situation, although again, wanting to help is wonderful.

for the Haitians.

Tom

Hi Tom. These are great ideas! I do think though, with it being 100 miles over very difficult to pass through roads right now that most of it wouldn't be helpful to the people affected. I don't think they will just do these things for the locals in Labadee, or else they would have already all the time. But just because someone might have family in Port Au Prince I doubt that there will be relief efforts to the locals of Labadee. Meaning, when NYC got attacked on 9/11, they didn't come over to us in unaffected areas in NJ to give us relief, even though we had family that were in the zone. I think they just really try to concentrate on the actual victims.

The idea of purifying water, bottling it and then transporting it is great, though! I wonder if that's how they intended to do it? Ice wouldn't hold up for 100 miles over those roads right now, and the people with cell phones in Labadee haven't been directly affected to need charging stations. I wish they would allow all workers and their families to eat for free from the bbq - every time, not just now.

My daughter is going back in March to help rebuild the co-op the group that she goes with built. She knows so far of 4 girls she taught whom lost their lives. Still waiting to hear about the others..:( I think anything you can give will greatly appreciated. Keep them all in your prayers.

This just makes me so sad :(

I"m still shocked that people think we shouldn't be going to Labadee.

I remember going to New Orleans a year after Katrina for vacation....every single local that I interacted with (i.e. had extended conversations with) was telling me how desperate they were for tourism. I was just there last year again and they said tourism still wasn't back to pre-Katrina levels. People's livelihoods depend on that tourism and they can't rebuild their homes without jobs, etc.

I would expect that the same thing would hold in Labadee/Haiti.

We aren't talking a year hear, we are talking days. It is not as though people want to stop going to Labadee permanently, they just want them to suspend stopping there for a period of time (likely months) until the Haitians have time to deal with the disaster at hand. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand.

We aren't talking a year hear, we are talking days. It is not as though people want to stop going to Labadee permanently, they just want them to suspend stopping there for a period of time (likely months) until the Haitians have time to deal with the disaster at hand. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand.

Sometimes after a major disaster like the quake, people want to get back to normal. Many of the people of Labadee are hearing, or watching coverage of the quake (much like we had with 9/11) and could be looking for a break from the tragedy. Going back to Labadee could provide that break.

Archived