Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

I am totally shocked at how many people are saying they want to avoid Labadee because they might feel guilty. Seriously? The people of Port Au Prince are suffering. Why in the World would we want to make the people of Cap Haitien suffer as well? The locals that work Labadee and their families benefit from you lounging on that beach, drinking the Labadoozies, shopping in their market, and eating the buffet. The absolute WORST thing RCCL can do is stop going there and the absolute WORST thing we passengers can do is avoid Labadee because of this earthquake.

I agree. It's kind of like saying we're not going to travel in all the US because of the people suffering in New Orleans after Katrina. The people in Chicago weren't hurt, and have family in New Orleans, so why punish them?

Also, do you feel guilty going to that all-inclusive in Jamaica or stopping elsewhere in the Caribbean? There are poor people there too, but it's just a little better hidden. Poverty is not the exclusive domain of the Haitians, but they are the worst case, and this disaster has only amplified it. Why would we want to take away any chance they have to make some money?

I am totally shocked at how many people are saying they want to avoid Labadee because they might feel guilty. Seriously? The people of Port Au Prince are suffering. Why in the World would we want to make the people of Cap Haitien suffer as well? The locals that work Labadee and their families benefit from you lounging on that beach, drinking the Labadoozies, shopping in their market, and eating the buffet. The absolute WORST thing RCCL can do is stop going there and the absolute WORST thing we passengers can do is avoid Labadee because of this earthquake.

Well said as usual. I wholeheartedly agree. :)

I agree with you but don't be so hard on the others. For some people this might be their first experience in dealing with "indulgence" while they know that tragedy is just steps away.

People need to process stuff like this to make it right with themselves.

Instead of being "shocked" consider pointing out what you said above in a non accusatory way in order to guide them to a different thought pattern. Be a coach.

Please note that I never mentioned anything about guilt. It's just that if there are "food riots" expected because people are hungry, an all-you-can-eat buffet might not be the safest place to be, at least until things settle down.

Also please note that I never suggested RCCL should stop going there. Please go and enjoy yourself. I plan to hold off until a another time, if that's OK with you.

Labadee is trademarked and leased by Royal Caribbean until 2050. The port taxes provide much-needed revenue to the Haitian government - but any drinks, food etc are pure profit to RCCL. They are loaded on in Miami/San Juan - not sold by Haitians. Cruise lines use private islands because virtually all passenger spending on them goes to the cruise line. And lets face it, in a country with a yearly per capita income that is less than $600, they are not paying much to anyone there.

There's a link on Adam Goldstein blog for a relief agency, Food for the Poor, that's accepting cash donations for Haiti relief if anyone is interested. RCCL is assisting them with transport according to Adam's blog.

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/

In addition to making a cash donation, I came upon an idea. I donated all of my "about to expire" frequent flyer miles to the American Red Cross to assist transportation of aid workers. Better than letting go to waste.

Lou

I guess some people were wrong about not going to Labadee:rolleyes:

So glad I belong to the cruising community of whom most want to continue to help the Haitians by taking in supplies and money to try to keep the status quo in this horrific aftermath of quakes. Any help is better than no help...and God sees the heart and what motivates it.:D

One of the truest and most profound things I've read here. Whatever help you can give is needed. Let's hope the people that need it the most, get it.

I have never been to Labadee but I suspect a ship visit is more of a profit center for RCCL than an economic engine for Haiti.

I appreciate that folks have various degrees of sensitivity concerning indulging themselves in the face of a great tragedy. If someone has no twinges of conscience lounging on the beach downing labadoozies during this situation, I say fine and cast no judgement, but please spare me the disingenuous notion that you are significantly contributing to the economic welfare of Hatians.

I have never been to Labadee but I suspect a ship visit is more of a profit center for RCCL than an economic engine for Haiti.

I appreciate that folks have various degrees of sensitivity concerning indulging themselves in the face of a great tragedy. If someone has no twinges of conscience lounging on the beach downing labadoozies during this situation, I say fine and cast no judgement, but please spare me the disingenuous notion that you are significantly contributing to the economic welfare of Hatians.

Actually port calls to Labadee are a very significant source of revenue for Haiti.

..on Labadee, so close to the death and destruction. But then again, if you extend the logic....should we EVER enjoy ourselves in ANY country where the majority of folks will

never be out of abject poverty, will always be in desperate need?

I can see both sides; but Labadee does employ locals (I believe I read that on the CEO's blog); and in the end, the tourism is helpful. My guess is passengers will have MULTIPLE chances to give to the relief fund, on the ship and on Labadee for quite awhile.

Personally, I would enjoy the party; but forego my usual gambling and give that cash

to the relief fund. But everyone shows their concern differently.

Mitch

Actually port calls to Labadee are a very significant source of revenue for Haiti.

Doublebzz - of course it's a significant profit centre and it is not a humanitarian act for RCCL to keep going there - it's a business decision. Many American and Canadian companies who do business in Haiti have donated large amounts of cash for relief. Yes, it's nice that RCCL is transporting relief supplies (hopefully they are all donated by them too), but day visits to Labadee will not help the average Haitian. When a cruiser pays $15 for an Beach Mat, $35 to ride the roller coaster, $85 to ride the zipline, and $15 to enter the AquaPark - they are only benefiting RCCL. Why don't they donate even a portion of their profit on these activities and drink sales?

Doublebzz - of course it's a significant profit centre and it is not a humanitarian act for RCCL to keep going there - it's a business decision. Many American and Canadian companies who do business in Haiti have donated large amounts of cash for relief. Yes, it's nice that RCCL is transporting relief supplies (hopefully they are all donated by them too), but day visits to Labadee will not help the average Haitian. When a cruiser pays $15 for an Beach Mat, $35 to ride the roller coaster, $85 to ride the zipline, and $15 to enter the AquaPark - they are only benefiting RCCL. Why don't they donate even a portion of their profit on these activities and drink sales?

RCI did donate money to relief organizations. Read Adam's blog, he also listed several organizations that are currently working to assist in Port-au-Prince. A Freedom class ship will generate $22,000 in port taxes visiting Labadee for a day. That is not insignificant income to Haiti. No one suggested Labadee was a chairty for RCI.

i am surprised that they are going in so soon after the disaster, I think it would make more sense to allow a little bit of time for the dust to settle, for the after shocks to stop, the relief workers and govt get some sort of order and then resume port calls.

Last thing you want to see is another disaster occuring.

Esp if it is preventable.

Let the professionals do thier jobs and let boats that are not able to dock in POP dock in Labadee

When a cruiser pays $15 for an Beach Mat, $35 to ride the roller coaster, $85 to ride the zipline, and $15 to enter the AquaPark - they are only benefiting RCCL. Why don't they donate even a portion of their profit on these activities and drink sales?

I will have to look for a link, but I remember reading somewhere that they do.

I'm proud to be going to Labadee with Liberty of the Seas on Tuesday and will happily spend what I can to help the locals working there. I was laid off yesterday-but that is nothing compared to what is happening in Haiti.

If it was determined by the UN and the government of Haiti that resuming port calls was the best thing to do-then who are we to 2nd guess those who know what is truly going on? I mean really.

I can't believe how heartless some of the posters here seem to be. RCI is not going back to Labadee because of the revenue it generates. I promise. They have a 30 year relationship with the people of Haiti. This tragedy is hitting RCI employees personally. As I've posted before-sometimes it's not just about money but about doing what is right. And it seems that going back is the right thing to do.

I've read about people that visited Phuket a few weeks after the Tsunami and all the locals wanted was for the tourists to come back.

Paul - You are spot on, as usual. I agree with you 100%.

We'll be stopping in Haiti in March. I plan on getting off and supporting the locals, without the haggling, but it occured to me. By giving cash to the locals in Labadee, do you think that will help the people in Port Au Prince?

Without a doubt. This is a very small country. Everyone there has ties to Port au Prince in some way.

For the immediate surrounding area - yes, it is. Haiti is not exactly known for it's resort communities and tourist destinations. Labadee is a source of income for many locals that live in the town over the hill. The tips made in one day getting chairs for the guests are more than many Haitians make in several months.

I'm with you and the others who feel that the ships should not be diverted from Labadee. I will lay on the beach and I will drink the Labadoowhatever, but I will also tip the employees and buy goods from the market.

We'll be stopping in Haiti in March. I plan on getting off and supporting the locals, without the haggling, but it occured to me. By giving cash to the locals in Labadee, do you think that will help the people in Port Au Prince?

Not directly, unless the workers in Labadee have friends or relatives in Port au Prince, but poverty in Haiti is certainly not restricted to the capitol city and anything you can do to support the local population will help in the overall scheme of things. By the time you arrive in Haiti there should be more information about the best ways to direct your contributions where they will do the most good.:)

you have choices, get off the ship - stay on -

spend your money on items or donate how you like -

send relief supplies, send prayers.

no need to attack, judge, "spank", yell at, talk down to, talk at folks that respond to situations in different ways.... this is what makes it all work.... different avenues - different solutions.

all folks have a right to a belief - action - just remember to be considerate ..... these folks in Haiti have realized their despair.... they are living in despair.

prayers are needed....

give how you want....

they will appreciate anything and everything!

How do you know that they don't either directly or indirectly? Unless you are privy to the details of the lease arrangement between RCI and the government of Haiti, it is unfair of you to portray their contributions in money, goods, and employment opportunities in such a negative and cynical light.:rolleyes:

Archived