Carnival's Steakhouse - Worth the price?

John&John

Thanks MrPete. I saw that on the Carnival website, but had read elsewhere that it is not always enforced that men wear jackets.

I will pack the jacket just in case, and deal with the hubby if he grumbles, lol.

sandcat

Been there done that, never again. Bad experience. Not trying to be negative:o....just our personal experience. I had SO looked forward to eating at the Point, must have been an off-night for them. Food made us sick and service was minimal at best. Much better food and service in the MDR. We won't try it again.....

Thanks MrPete. I saw that on the Carnival website, but had read elsewhere that it is not always enforced that men wear jackets.

I will pack the jacket just in case, and deal with the hubby if he grumbles, lol.

sandcat

Men only are required to wear jackets if you go to the steakhouse on one of the two "Cruise Elegant Evenings."

Now you would have to know which nights are the elegant evenings.

We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride 1/31/2010 - we are first timers. We have already made reservations for one of the nights at Davids. Being first time cruisers, though, how dressy do they mean when they say the dress code is Cruise Elegant? My husband would rather not wear a jacket, so could he get away with that at Davids?

Thanks!

sandcat

If you have not booked the steakhouse on a "cruise elegant' night, then no jacket will be required. Jacket required on Cruise Elegant nights...formally called formal nights..

Glad I tried the steakhouse on the Pride but I was not overly impressed. The food presentation was excellent. Food quality was good to very good but I've had better. As far as atmosphere, on the night we went there were approx. 3 other tables of people in the restaurant. No music anymore. Just didn't grab me sitting in an almost empty restaurant. Don't like noisey but just too quiet for me. Part of it may have had to do with the fact that we had such a exceptional waitress in the dining room who we enjoyed seeing each night.

My husband and I really enjoy the specialty restaurants. At $30pp we find that absolutely worth the money. The food, service and atmosphere is wonderful. We usually go one night , and I actually look forward to it. I do agree the dining room food is always good, however the supper clubs or steakhouse as they are now known as is just a little more special. Again thats just my opinion. If you do decide to go enjoy enjoy!

Looks like you'll just have to try it once and see for yourself. :)

DH did not wear a jacket when we went, but did wear a shirt and tie. Our friends didn't dress up at all and nothing was said at all. They didn't dress way down, just nice casual clothes. They're in their 60's.

Not that that matters...

Shay

We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride 1/31/2010 - we are first timers. We have already made reservations for one of the nights at Davids. Being first time cruisers, though, how dressy do they mean when they say the dress code is Cruise Elegant? My husband would rather not wear a jacket, so could he get away with that at Davids?

Thanks!

sandcat

As long as you didn't book David's on one of the formal (now elegant) nights, then your DH won't need a jacket. I've seen men with jackets, with only shirt and tie, and even in a nice polo shirt on the non-elegant evenings.

We tried it on the Valor this past New Years Eve. We wanted to like it and come back raving however that was not in the cards. I would not pay for it again. In fact DS, DH and myself agree we wouldn't bother if it were free. The service we had was far from outstanding and it was not crowded-there were only 2 other people on the side where we were.

When we arrived 7 minutes early the server asked us if we would like to wait in the bar area since we were "sooo early". It all went downhill from there.

The jackets on "Cruise Elegant Night" rule is not enforced equally throughout the fleet. We have enjoyed their specialty restaurants many (approaching 30) times and the strictest enforcement witnessed was on the Glory where they would provide jackets for the chair backs of men who came without them. Conversely I have seen men come in a polo shirt and blue jeans only to be seated "as is". Interestingly enough, this was also on the Glory (another sailing). It thus apparently varies from hostess to hostess (thus ship to ship).

Is it worth it? As others have pointed out, that is a personal preference issue. Our answer to that is an emphatic YES. We average 3-4 nights per sailing in the specialty restaurant (on ships which have them). More evenings than that, and I run out of good course options, less than that and we feel that we have missed the refined pleasure of upscale dining. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy eating at all sorts of dives, from oyster bars and wing houses to sports bars. I LIKE FOOD in many forms and served in many fashions. The 3/4 nights is a good mix of "regular" dining room and specialty dining which suits us well. I am not, however, going to consider the option of a LIDO BUFFET dinner in our matrix - unless there are extenuating circumstances!!!

Our average dining time in the specialty restaurant is between 1.5 and 2 hours. That provides us ample time to be pleasantly full, drink our bottle of wine or champagne, and share good times/conversation. We no longer eat all of what they bring to us - as we don't care to ROLL out of there. Instead we eat what we want, often skipping a course (typically dessert). Being stuffed is not synonymous with either a "good meal" or a "good value" - instead it just makes me think afterward "I can't believe I ate the whole thing"... over and over again. :D

Tom

we have been 3 times to the specialty restaraunts on rci mariner and we already have reservations to the pinnacle on splendor in april:D

whether everything is perfect, or just soso doesnt really matter...its the special time for DW and myself to visit and enjoy a peaceful meal together:)

plus, sofar , the meals have been WAY better than the MDR , but in all fairness,this will be our first carnival cruise;)

dave

We absolutely love the steakhouse, and it is a must-do for each cruise. It was just the two of us, and the food and ambience were wonderful.

If you are traveling with younger kids, you may want to skip the steakhouse, or arrange for them to be in the Camp Carnival or with someone while you eat there... it's not the kind of place kids would like and at $30 each its probably not a good deal for them.

I've never had the opportunity to take advantage of the steakhouse (or supper club) on any of my cruises.

Please let me know if this is a must do! ;)

Thanks!

One word......YEP......:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will probably skip the steakhouse this upcoming cruise as we will be a group of 5. Plus there's one cheapskate in our group who wouldn't want to do it :rolleyes:.

Sounds like it might work out better with just 2.

It might be a good opportunity to get away from your group for a couple hours :)

I think it's well worth the money.

I've never had the opportunity to take advantage of the steakhouse (or supper club) on any of my cruises.

Please let me know if this is a must do! ;)

Thanks!

For us, it is. We visited the first time on Splendor, LOVED it. Went again this month on Dream. We took our 17 year old son, and my mother, and they raved. The Lobster Bisque is truly amazing. The Ribeye (about the size of my leg) cooked perfectly. Everything is presented beautifully, and the service is top notch. Never too intrusive, but you never wanted for anything.

We leave on Valor on the 21st of this month with a group of 11, and all 11 are booked for two nights on that cruise. :)

It really is a decadent, relaxing, enjoyable way to spend the evening.

Jen

we have been 3 times to the specialty restaraunts on rci mariner and we already have reservations to the pinnacle on splendor in april:D

whether everything is perfect, or just soso doesnt really matter...its the special time for DW and myself to visit and enjoy a peaceful meal together:)

plus, sofar , the meals have been WAY better than the MDR , but in all fairness,this will be our first carnival cruise;)

dave

Hey Dave!

My husband and I have eaten in the Pinnacle 3 times, and it was awesome! My favorite food in the world is a prime grade filet mignon, and theirs is superb!

Make sure to try the wasabi mashed potatoes as a side...so yummy!! I can't wait! I have my reservation for the second sea evening.