Question about my state room

thegreens

I've been glued to this board all afternoon. You all give excellent advice!

My husband and I just booked our first cruise. We're doing a 7-nighter on Freedom of the Seas. I have a few questions about our room.

We booked an exterior view in the middle of the second deck. Will we have an actual window or just a tiny port-hole? Can you see the waves from the room, or does the horizon look flat? (I worry about this because I sometimes get motion sickness.)

I wish we could've found something on a higher deck, but because we booked late we had to take what was left. How likely is it that we will be able to upgrade at the same or at little extra cost?

And to be generic...best advice for first time cruisers?

I don't know what kind of "window" you'll have, but you won't see the tops of the waves (unless it's MAJOR rough!!!)...

Windows/portholes are to let light in...not so much for "viewing"....

Keep checking, and if something higher is affordable, grab it!

1st timers have nothing to compare a cruise to...it will be totally AWESOME! You'll have a blast, and be addicted! Enjoy!

HI

Dont worry it wont be a tiny port hole i think they are largeish windows oblong shaped in mid ships or a very large port hole as for upgrading when your on board it depends if the cruise is fully booked or not but if you go straight to guest relations when you board there is usually a sign on the desk saying upgrades available or no upgrades available but you will pay full cost for upgrade if available anyway whatever happens you will enjoy your first cruise fredom is a fantastic ship so have fun and enjoy and you can book your balcony cabin for your next cruise:)

Happy cruising nick

You are thinking about older ships where cabins on the lowest deck all had small port holes. Today's ship have larger picture windows even on the lowest deck. However, on some ships the cabins toward the very front of the ship have two smaller port holes. I looked over the FOS decks plan I don't see any cabin towards the extreme front on deck 2 so you should be OK. If you are still in doubt call RCCL. I've sailed on deck 2 and yes you will see the oceans and waves; however, you are still very high about the water line with the horizon in the distances. It shouldn't be an issue. As far as upgrading...if higher cabins become available then yes you can upgrade; however, you will have to pay the difference in category grade. It all depends on how full the ship is and if cancellations becomes available. All you can do to call the cruise line or have your travel agent call and see what becomes available closer to sailing and what would be the additional cost. I wouldn't count on any free upgrades, but never hurts to ask. Best advise for first time cruisers...do your homework and learn everything about the ship...from deck plans to lounges to activities to dining. There is a wealth of information on internet about your ship. Cruisecritic is a great source of info too.

Congrats on your first cruise!

We took our first last January on Adventure of the Seas. Our Meet & Mingle group arranged a cabin crawl and one of the cabins we saw was an exterior view on Deck 3. The window has been described well - rather oval in shape and of good size, not just a small port hole.

I would like to mention that at the time I thought the seas were rough but didn't have anything to compare them to, and on deck 3 they looked VERY close to me - it made me feel a little nauseated and I was wearing sea bands! So, based on previous advice on this thread, the seas must have been rough indeed. But if you have that happen, I would think motion sickness could be an issue (ps, the seabands worked great 99% of the time!).

Thegreens, to look for your specific cruise, go to the Roll Call Section click the Royal Caribbean Link then select your ship, then a list of the cruises will come up and look for your dates. Select the last page for your cruise and introduce yourself and they will be able to offer you more tips, where everyone will meet for the sailaway etc. Have a fabulous time.

We booked an exterior view in the middle of the second deck. Will we have an actual window or just a tiny port-hole? Can you see the waves from the room, or does the horizon look flat? (I worry about this because I sometimes get motion sickness.)

If you get motion sick, low at mid-ship is the place to be - you have chosen correctly. Think about a metronome - the smallest movement is at the bottom center. The ship is the same.

Cruise ships are so large now that motion isn't much of an issue until it's really rough out there.

That being said, sailing out of Port Canaveral, you will probably feel 'wobble' as you sail through the Gulf Stream despite the enormous ship. Have another of your favorite beverage (I recommend ginger ale with rum) and enjoy it as part of the ship experience.

Have a wonderful time!

Wendy

You don't mention which sailing you are on. Different ports have different needs.

My suggestion is to join your specific ships Meet N Mingle. There you can chat with your fellow cruisers and perhaps hook up for some excursions.

Thegreens, to look for your specific cruise, go to the Roll Call Section click the Royal Caribbean Link then select your ship, then a list of the cruises will come up and look for your dates. Select the last page for your cruise and introduce yourself and they will be able to offer you more tips, where everyone will meet for the sailaway etc. Have a fabulous time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

On Freedom class deck two can have two different port holes. One is large, almost like a regular window only round and some are little port holes. On Liberty one of our friends had one of the cabins with the small holes, boy was she mad. The one right next door to her had the larger port hole windows. You will not know which one you have until you board.

30rya7d.jpg Looks like the cabins toward the aft of the hump have the large windows.

Congrats! You'll love FOS. We did the Western itinerary in Sept 09. Here is a link to Radio's live cast from Aug 09 you may enjoy....lots of good info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1034183&highlight=

FOS is a very stable ship, so hopefully, you won't have any motion sickness, but it wouldn't hurt to get some of the non-drowsy dramamine or bonine. Also, ginger capsules, sold at some of the health food stores, seem to work very well. If you are very concerned, you might ask your physician to prescribe you some scopolamine patches (wear them as a last resort because of possible side effects). You are in the best location, cabin-wise, to minimize any felt motion.

She's an awesome ship, and I know you will have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you everyone. I'm confident we made a good choice about our room. Thinking about it, I'm sure we'll enjoy the cruise regardless of our room because we'll be spending very little time there.

I see a lot of you talking about the "hump" state rooms. As I said before, we're currently on the 2nd floor with an exterior view. Today, there's a new room open. It's a balcony on the 8th floor 8634. It looks like it's on the hump. Should I stick with my lower room when it comes to the possibility of motion sickness? Or is it completely ridiculous of me to pass over what many of you seem to describe as one of the best rooms on the ship?

Thank you everyone. I'm confident we made a good choice about our room. Thinking about it, I'm sure we'll enjoy the cruise regardless of our room because we'll be spending very little time there.

I see a lot of you talking about the "hump" state rooms. As I said before, we're currently on the 2nd floor with an exterior view. Today, there's a new room open. It's a balcony on the 8th floor 8634. It looks like it's on the hump. Should I stick with my lower room when it comes to the possibility of motion sickness? Or is it completely ridiculous of me to pass over what many of you seem to describe as one of the best rooms on the ship?

8634 is on the hump. It is considered, by many, prime real estate. If money is not an issue, the balcony cabin is the way to go. If money is an issue, I think you will be perfectly happy on deck 2. We have been on deck 2 for three cruises and loved it every time. We literally only use the room to change clothes and to sleep so we spend very little time there. We had a balcony on our last cruise (the price was less than the OV we originally booked) and while DW loved it, I spent very little time out there. We do not feel the need to have a balcony any more but if the price is right, we'll take one.

If you can afford to upgrade I would jump on it, but that's my personal opinion. I have motion issues and always have a balcony. There's nothing like room service bringing our coffee and sitting on the balcony. I take Bonine every night starting the evening before cruising and have never had an issue. Try one at home to see how you may react. Others swear by ginger pills for motion. Have a great first cruise!!

Being on a lower floor does result in less motion, but you can't pass up that room! Read up on motion sickness remedies in prior posts (and other streams), and don't worry about it - the difference in motion is not that extreme. I am also prone to getting sick, and I booked an 8th floor hump cabin for my next cruise.

One ps - yes, modern ships do have less motion, but if you are prone to sickness, be prepared! Take your Dramamine II or generic meclizine starting the night before and then see how it goes. Better safe than sorry.:p

HI

Dont worry it wont be a tiny port hole i think they are largeish windows oblong shaped in mid ships or a very large port hole as for upgrading when your on board it depends if the cruise is fully booked or not but if you go straight to guest relations when you board there is usually a sign on the desk saying upgrades available or no upgrades available but you will pay full cost for upgrade if available anyway whatever happens you will enjoy your first cruise fredom is a fantastic ship so have fun and enjoy and you can book your balcony cabin for your next cruise:)

Happy cruising nick

OT but, WOW... this is the longest sentence ever!!!

A~

Archived