Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

I would guess that it means "no bare feet in the dining room". Some visuals just take the appetite away.

While the wearing of a robe in the dining room would be just plain bad manners, the idea of men with hairy bare feet for the dining experience is completely revolting and does nothing for ambience.

Women who have regular pedicures and polish can get away with a dressy flat or heeled sandal.

I have probably mentioned before that fine dining is not available in restaurants in my area----good food for sure, but nobody knows how to serve and a white tablecloth is a rareity. Therefore we so enjoy the experience of being pampered in the dining room and the elegance of the surroundings. There is nothing elegant about a man--or woman-- dining in Birkenstocks.:eek:

Before you jump on me I don't mean to say that sandals should not be worn in the Lido, as that venue is for eating, not dining. There really is a big difference. Nobody would go to the Lido for a dining experience.

My husband wears shoes but I was thinking of wearing sandals for dinner, (not slippers or flip flops) but nice sandals. It sounds like even if there is no hair on my feet it is not allowed.:( Maybe the definition of sandals is different out here.

The missionaries brought the muumuu to Hawaii, they wanted to cover the naked girls.

There are many elegant styles, I have been in many wedding parties where we wore very nice ones.

It used to be women wore these every friday, Aloha Friday. But we just don't see that like we used to. Men still wear aloha shirts every day to work though. No suits necessary.

...but even though I think mumu's can be a little strange, I just can't have an open mind for me. ... but me, I am way too scared to put one of those things on. And nobody would ever talk to me again because that's how it is in my universe. It's really very hard to explain this but if I found myself wearing those things, I would definitely consider therapy. Get it?

No..

My husband wears shoes but I was thinking of wearing sandals for dinner, (not slippers or flip flops) but nice sandals. It sounds like even if there is no hair on my feet it is not allowed.:( Maybe the definition of sandals is different out here.

If you will re-read my post you will see that I said women can get away with a dressy flat or heeled sandal.

Same thing happens to me Sapper1. Very alarming, restarting did not turn it off.

My concern about the sandals in the dining room was that the dress code said no sandals. It is nice to know I can get away with wearing them, but I like to be clear about when I am pressing a dress code rather than inventing one. Which is what I am thinking the robe issue is about.

Same thing happens to me Sapper1. Very alarming, restarting did not turn it off.

My concern about the sandals in the dining room was that the dress code said no sandals. It is nice to know I can get away with wearing them, but I like to be clear about when I am pressing a dress code rather than inventing one. Which is what I am thinking the robe issue is about.

Think in terms of open-toed, sling back heel, rather than sandal. I guess you could call it a sandal but sandal is a very broad term. There are degrees of sandalness. I know that is not a word but I was feeling silly.;)

Found this in Wikipedia:

The muumuu or muʻumuʻu (English pronunciation: /'mu:mu:/) is a loose dress of Hawaiian origin that hangs from the shoulder. Like the Aloha shirt, muumuu exports are often brilliantly colored with floral patterns of generic Polynesian motifs. Muumuu for local Hawaiian residents are more subdued in tone. Muumuu are not as widely worn at work as the Aloha shirt, but may be worn as a uniform by women working in the hotel industry. Muumuu are also popular as maternity gowns and with obese people because they do not restrict the waist.

John did you just submit that to Wiki? :D It's true, but goodness why the obese part?? They should also say worn at luau's and hula competitions.lol

And in front of missionaries.

Nope, Homie don't play that; just copied it as is:) thought it interesting

Found this in Wikipedia:

The muumuu or muʻumuʻu (English pronunciation: /'mu:mu:/) is a loose dress of Hawaiian origin that hangs from the shoulder. Like the Aloha shirt, muumuu exports are often brilliantly colored with floral patterns of generic Polynesian motifs. Muumuu for local Hawaiian residents are more subdued in tone. Muumuu are not as widely worn at work as the Aloha shirt, but may be worn as a uniform by women working in the hotel industry. Muumuu are also popular as maternity gowns and with obese people because they do not restrict the waist.

OMG...I'll never wear a loose muumuu or dress again..:eek::eek:

Guess I'll just have to wear HAL's robe after all!... I'll just have to endure those tsk tsk's, behind my back from those who question my sense of propriety... LOL..;);)

BTW..My Hawaiian muumuu, which I had made in the 80's & have only worn it two or three times to Hawaiian parties, becomes form fitting when I tie the inside invisible waist tie..Then the dress has a bustle in the back...

Cheers....:)Betty

I would guess that it means "no bare feet in the dining room". Some visuals just take the appetite away.

While the wearing of a robe in the dining room would be just plain bad manners, the idea of men with hairy bare feet for the dining experience is completely revolting and does nothing for ambience.

Women who have regular pedicures and polish can get away with a dressy flat or heeled sandal.

I have probably mentioned before that fine dining is not available in restaurants in my area----good food for sure, but nobody knows how to serve and a white tablecloth is a rareity. Therefore we so enjoy the experience of being pampered in the dining room and the elegance of the surroundings. There is nothing elegant about a man--or woman-- dining in Birkenstocks.:eek:

Before you jump on me I don't mean to say that sandals should not be worn in the Lido, as that venue is for eating, not dining. There really is a big difference. Nobody would go to the Lido for a dining experience.

Oh well.... we probably should never ask to sit at the same table. I would feel badly if my Birkenstocks caused you not to enjoy your meal.

Although, maybe it would be better, because you wouldn't actually be looking under the table at my feet, whereas, if sat at different tables, my sandals might, in fact be in your line of vision.

<sigh>

Maybe a better option would be for people to stop examining people's footwear.

Archived