Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

Our vacations, when not cruising, are to Disney World. I would consider that that to be the epitome of a "younger and family demographic" vacation destination. Now we haven't spent as many nights there as we have on HAL, but I would guesstimate in the neighborhood of 75-100 nights staying in Disney resorts. I have seen NO evidence that the "younger and family demographic" wears bathrobes out in public areas and the pools certainly get a LOT of use. The "younger and family demographic" doesn't appear to have a problem wearing cover-ups to/from the pool.

OK, where do you draw the line? Wearing towels? Yes, DH and I have seen a woman wearing a towel (no sign of swim suit straps) running up the forward stairs on the Rotterdam. Following the above logic, one could argue that "HAL actually encourages" towel wearing outside of the cabin as they are supplied not only in the cabanas but in the pool area itself.

Now, using that same 'logic', how about washcloths? Not only are they supplied in the cabins, but out in public areas such as the restrooms! Are we to think that "HAL actually encourages" the wearing of washcloths in public by doing so??? :rolleyes:

IMHO, HAL supplies bathrobes, towels and washcloths where they needed to be used.

So, you folks that think bathrobes are appropriate attire in public may need to take a deep breath and exhale slowly while rethinking your position.

I have no doubt that we'll still see some wearing bathrobes out in public on board - and we'll continue to think 'tacky'.

Well, I guess I'll continue to beat this dead horse. Just amazing that people choose to interpret in their own fashion what is crystal clear per HAL, as there is not one mention that robes are not permitted in public areas, the exception being, of course, dress code in dining areas - and I suppose someone can (will?) bring up what is appropriate on formal nights going to and from the pool area. Personally, I will risk the wrath of the fashion police on formal nights and wear bathrobe and/or bathing suit/T-shirt when I go for a dip or hot tub around the 6 PM hour.

My mention of HAL attempting to appeal to a broader demographic is intended to reference much more than this bathrobe "issue." It's about offering a more casual experience overall which would make the HAL cruise offering more attractive to a broader spectrum. Some may not like it, but I'd be willing to bet that the bean counters in Seattle drool when they see how succesful RCL has been at attracting families with all their new builds. Filled third and fourth berths in cabins are gravy - hundreds of dollars PP revenue, plus added onboard purchases by the pax, all for a nominal increase in costs.

Our vacations, when not cruising, are to Disney World. I would consider that that to be the epitome of a "younger and family demographic" vacation destination. Now we haven't spent as many nights there as we have on HAL, but I would guesstimate in the neighborhood of 75-100 nights staying in Disney resorts. I have seen NO evidence that the "younger and family demographic" wears bathrobes out in public areas and the pools certainly get a LOT of use. The "younger and family demographic" doesn't appear to have a problem wearing cover-ups to/from the pool.

I'm a Disney nut myself, and have spent many nights in Disney resorts as well. The big difference here, is that HAL supplies bathrobes in cabins. Disney resorts do not, except for in a few Club Level rooms/suites. And there are threads about if it is proper to wear your robe to the Club Lounge on the DIS, so I think it comes down to this...If bathrobes are provided, people will wear them. While I personally wouldn't wear my robe to the pool (not cause I don't think you aren't supposed to, I just think it would be to hot, and don't want to get chlorine, sunscreen and sweat on a robe I will put on when I get out of the shower) I don't think any less of those who DO choose to wear their robe to the pool. Heck, before I had kids, I never wore a bathrobe at all...shower, dry, dressed. I would have been more likely to use it for the pool or spa then.

Well, I guess I'll continue to beat this dead horse. Just amazing that people choose to interpret in their own fashion what is crystal clear per HAL, as there is not one mention that robes are not permitted in public areas, the exception being, of course, dress code in dining areas - and I suppose someone can (will?) bring up what is appropriate on formal nights going to and from the pool area. Personally, I will risk the wrath of the fashion police on formal nights and wear bathrobe and/or bathing suit/T-shirt when I go for a dip or hot tub around the 6 PM hour.

My mention of HAL attempting to appeal to a broader demographic is intended to reference much more than this bathrobe "issue." It's about offering a more casual experience overall which would make the HAL cruise offering more attractive to a broader spectrum. Some may not like it, but I'd be willing to bet that the bean counters in Seattle drool when they see how succesful RCL has been at attracting families with all their new builds. Filled third and fourth berths in cabins are gravy - hundreds of dollars PP revenue, plus added onboard purchases by the pax, all for a nominal increase in costs.

Sorry but I hope that HAL never becomes RCL. HAL doesn't mention that you should wear clothes either but most people would be able to figure that out.

They are great in the dining room. You know why? All the old people can put all the bread, crackers, and sundries in their big pockets to take home. They really do that and I think this is wonderful that the pockets are so Large.:)

Suse....That's a wonderful thought.

Last year on Maasdam in the Ocean Bar, we sat nearby and watched a lady take the cocktail nuts, container and all, and force it into her small evening bag as she was leaving the bar.

It would have been so much easier for her if she had been wearing her robe.

When word of this gets around, there won't be a cocktail nut in sight!

Betty - I don't think you're ever going to get a response from the "robe-a-phobes" because they don't want to believe that HAL actually encourages such blatant wearing of "improper" attire. :eek: The truth is hard to swallow...

Think again! :D

Betty---I'm willing to bet that HAL doesn't expressly tell passengers what to wear, and not wear, as there are certain social conventions that it would be expected they have learned while growing up. To put on clothes before leaving their home (or home away from home) would be one of them.

As far as wearing clothes to BINGO goes, this is analogous to a "Come-as-you-are" party. I don't see HAL as condoning the wearing of robes throughout the ship, regardless of time or place just because they sponsor one event where the wearin'of the robes is appropriate.

Think again! :D

Betty---I'm willing to bet that HAL doesn't expressly tell passengers what to wear, and not wear, as there are certain social conventions that it would be expected they have learned while growing up. To put on clothes before leaving their home (or home away from home) would be one of them.

As far as wearing clothes to BINGO goes, this is analogous to a "Come-as-you-are" party. I don't see HAL as condoning the wearing of robes throughout the ship, regardless of time or place just because they sponsor one event where the wearin'of the robes is appropriate.

Ruth, Thanks for your opinion about this..I'm glad to see that someone with a different opinion was not afraid to answer my question..I respect your opinion a great deal, but disagree with you on this.

.Please re-read this thread..I don't know of one person who has said that HAL condones wearing bathrobes throughout the ship..They have said that they believe HAL condones wearing the bathrobe between their staterooms & the Spa & Pool..In addition many of us have said we don't wear the bathrobes at all..

I personally do not like to see bathrobes worn in the Lido either & if I was a Suite Passenger I would never wear it going into the Neptune Lounge even for early morning coffee..But that is me! In fact we don't wear the robes even in our cabin because we think they are too bulky ...And for me they are not in the least bit flattering..But that is me..In addition, I would never wear a robe to Bingo just to get another bingo card..:eek: Therefore, I don't believe its my right to impose my standards on any one else...

My Friend & I once observed a large man putting a towel over his suit, when he got out of the ships pool..That never fazed us, until he went to change bathing suits right in front of everyone..The towel slipped & my Friend & I were shocked to see his large bare behind..We both started to giggle :D & our DH's could not understand why we were giggling..We could not tell them at that moment...That to me was considered indecent..However it would not be considered indecent in many other parts of the world, including Ipanema Beach in RIO..

I truly believe HAL does intend for the robes to be worn to & from the pool & Spa...I've traveled all over Europe & Asia & have seen many people in different countries wearing their robes to Hotel pools as well as on Hotel beaches..

If someone were to wear clothes which obviously are considered indecent to the majority of people then I would be offended..But if some of my fellow passengers decide to wear their robes to the pool & spa, I'm not in the least bit offended & don't think it's tacky..

Cheers...:)Betty

.Please re-read this thread..I don't know of one person who has said that HAL condones wearing bathrobes throughout the ship..

:confused: I didn't claim anyone did say that. I was attempting to answer your question of why HAL condones wearing of a robe to BINGO, and how that is different from wearing it elsewhere.

If HAL expected people to wear their cabin robe to the spa, they wouldn't provide robes in the spa for use there.

The fact that you wouldn't wear your cabin robe to the Lido or Neptune Lounge isn't "just you"---it's the societal norm in the population that sails HAL.

:confused: I didn't claim anyone did say that. I was attempting to answer your question of why HAL condones wearing of a robe to BINGO, and how that is different from wearing it elsewhere.

If HAL expected people to wear their cabin robe to the spa, they wouldn't provide robes in the spa for use there.

The fact that you wouldn't wear your cabin robe to the Lido or Neptune Lounge isn't "just you"---it's the societal norm in the population that sails HAL.

IMHO HAL doesn't "expect" anyone to wear or not wear a robe to the spa, regardless of whether there is one provided at the spa. I've never sailed HAL, so don't know how it works, but most spas on cruises I've been on ask that the robe you used at the spa remain there. Thus, you would go back to your cabin, or wherever, how you dressed when you came, whether it be in a robe, or however you came dressed.

Your statement that this whole aversity to robes to and from two venues is the "societal norm in the population that sails HAL" well, that would have been nice if your framed it with a JMHO or IMHO. Reading the posts on this thread, it's pretty obvious not everyone would agree with that broad brush, and these are people in that population.

Betty - I don't think you're ever going to get a response from the "robe-a-phobes" because they don't want to believe that HAL actually encourages such blatant wearing of "improper" attire. :eek: The truth is hard to swallow...
People also need to realize that due to the 'ignore' function that not everyone sees all the posts.

Oh, just because one thinks something is tacky doesn't make it a fear (phobia). Let's not put words in others mouths.

As I said before, I'm sure I'll continue to see a few robes and I'll continue to say nothing, but think 'tacky' - unless all you 'thought police' have a way to stop that. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I wear my HAL robe to the Thermal Suite and to the Therapy Pool - however I try not to prance yes prance (it is vacation you know) through the Lido on my way - confession here - I have stopped in the Lido in my Bathrobe on occasion to get an iced tea and a cookie - (sometimes the apples just do not cut it) - on my way back...:eek:

Reminds me of that line in that Sharon Stone movie - the name escapes me...

"So.....are you going to arrest me for smoking?"

So are you going to arrest me for wearing a bathrobe?

My intent is not to offend - I just think this is kind of funny, I wait all year for our cruise - if me in my robe bothers you sorry - don't look at me...

Ok, so I wear my HAL robe to the Thermal Suite and to the Therapy Pool - however I try not to prance yes prance (it is vacation you know) through the Lido on my way - confession here - I have stopped in the Lido in my Bathrobe on occasion to get an iced tea and a cookie - (sometimes the apples just do not cut it) - on my way back...:eek:

Reminds me of that line in that Sharon Stone movie - the name escapes me...

"So.....are you going to arrest me for smoking?"

So are you going to arrest me for wearing a bathrobe?

My intent is not to offend - I just think this is kind of funny, I wait all year for our cruise - if me in my robe bothers you sorry - don't look at me...

"Basic Instinct" (she got "Newman" perspiring!) - And No, I wouldn't;)

February 26, 2010

On a recent flight, as we landed, the pilot cheerily announced, "Thank you for flying Southwest. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride." That joke has been recycled more times than the plane's cabin air.

Southwest is revered (and occasionally reviled) for its humorous cabin crews and boarding announcements. But what is no laughing matter is the turmoil airlines have seen in the last year, leaving passengers facing sudden surcharges, canceled routes, and reduced perks as even the most established airlines shift into survival mode.

But rather than going the way of the flightless dodo, budget carriers are instead meeting the challenges by undergoing an evolutionary adaptation. “They are morphing more toward traditional airlines,” says industry analyst Vaughn Cordle of AirlineForcasts.com. “But just because they’re moving toward that direction doesn’t mean they’ll change the cost structure.”

Spin is everything in the airline industry where the word “budget” carries a pejorative connotation, suggesting cutting corners alongside costs. Which is why airlines like JetBlue prefer the more positive descriptor “value.” But what constitutes value? JetBlue and other low-cost carriers Southwest, Virgin America, AirTran, Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant have learned that passengers want not just cheap fares but a superior overall experience that includes courteous customer service, an above-average on-time arrival and safety records, and more innovative frills (whether they have to pay extra for them or not).

February 26, 2010

On a recent flight, as we landed, the pilot cheerily announced, "Thank you for flying Southwest. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride." That joke has been recycled more times than the plane's cabin air.

Southwest is revered (and occasionally reviled) for its humorous cabin crews and boarding announcements. But what is no laughing matter is the turmoil airlines have seen in the last year, leaving passengers facing sudden surcharges, canceled routes, and reduced perks as even the most established airlines shift into survival mode.

But rather than going the way of the flightless dodo, budget carriers are instead meeting the challenges by undergoing an evolutionary adaptation. “They are morphing more toward traditional airlines,” says industry analyst Vaughn Cordle of AirlineForcasts.com. “But just because they’re moving toward that direction doesn’t mean they’ll change the cost structure.”

Spin is everything in the airline industry where the word “budget” carries a pejorative connotation, suggesting cutting corners alongside costs. Which is why airlines like JetBlue prefer the more positive descriptor “value.” But what constitutes value? JetBlue and other low-cost carriers Southwest, Virgin America, AirTran, Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant have learned that passengers want not just cheap fares but a superior overall experience that includes courteous customer service, an above-average on-time arrival and safety records, and more innovative frills (whether they have to pay extra for them or not).

What on Earth has this got to do with this thread???-----unless passengers are wearing bathrobes in the aisles:eek:

I consider myself a charter member of the "fashion police", nevertheless, I wear my robe to the spa if I am getting a massage. I am going directly to and from the spa and not taking any detours. When one gets a massage, they use oils and I don't want to get the residual oil on my clothing. I don't see the problem. Wearing a robe in any of the restaurants and the public rooms is tacky.

Archived