Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

You've got to be kidding! All this fuss over a bathrobe in public? I don't recall the instructions on the label saying "only to be worn in the cabin" Not that I have made a practice of wearing my robe to the Pinnacle for dinner, but I think the robe is much more modest and cozy over a swimsuit.

With the air limits on baggage it makes sense to use what is available.

Thank you for your good common sense and reasoning. I (and I am sure many others here on CC) have way too much to keep us busy and happy on a cruise to really notice what someone else is wearing .....unless it is truly immodest :rolleyes:

IMHO HAL is also a mass market line, and is attempting to draw more of a younger and family demographic to its ships.

Our vacations, when not cruising, are to Disney World. I would consider that that to be the epitome of a "younger and family demographic" vacation destination. Now we haven't spent as many nights there as we have on HAL, but I would guesstimate in the neighborhood of 75-100 nights staying in Disney resorts. I have seen NO evidence that the "younger and family demographic" wears bathrobes out in public areas and the pools certainly get a LOT of use. The "younger and family demographic" doesn't appear to have a problem wearing cover-ups to/from the pool.

On the contrary, HAL supplies them puppies for use at (to? from?) the "Retreat" on Eurodam:) If I remember, I'll ask the robe police next time I'm aboard a dam ship;)
HAL actually encourages robe wearing outside of the cabin in the pool area...see post #70. So, you folks with robe phobias may need to take a deep breath and exhale slowly while rethinking your position. :D

OK, where do you draw the line? Wearing towels? Yes, DH and I have seen a woman wearing a towel (no sign of swim suit straps) running up the forward stairs on the Rotterdam. Following the above logic, one could argue that "HAL actually encourages" towel wearing outside of the cabin as they are supplied not only in the cabanas but in the pool area itself.

Now, using that same 'logic', how about washcloths? Not only are they supplied in the cabins, but out in public areas such as the restrooms! Are we to think that "HAL actually encourages" the wearing of washcloths in public by doing so??? :rolleyes:

IMHO, HAL supplies bathrobes, towels and washcloths where they needed to be used.

So, you folks that think bathrobes are appropriate attire in public may need to take a deep breath and exhale slowly while rethinking your position.

I have no doubt that we'll still see some wearing bathrobes out in public on board - and we'll continue to think 'tacky'.

Now, using that same 'logic', how about washcloths? Not only are they supplied in the cabins, but out in public areas such as the restrooms! Are we to think that "HAL actually encourages" the wearing of washcloths in public by doing so??? :rolleyes:

:eek:LOL:eek:

Now THAT's a mental image worth considering.

It even dredges up a song!

"She wore an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weenie-white-HAL-washcloth-bath-bikini" ...

And ... I've gotta ask ... what elements from your cabin would you use to tie the washcloths on??

So, you folks that think bathrobes are appropriate attire in public may need to take a deep breath and exhale slowly while rethinking your position.

I have no doubt that we'll still see some wearing bathrobes out in public on board - and we'll continue to think 'tacky'.

Mary Ellen & those of you who believe wearing robes to & from the pool, please tell me what you think of this? Realize we're still beating a dead horse, but can't seem to get a logical answer.. /

This is the third time I've posted it in this thread, however not one of those who think it's tacky has responed...

I have our daily programs for most of our HAL cruises (13) & no where does HAL state that robes are not to be worn in public..

In fact it's just the opposite!

On the Statendam Day 3 of our collectors (Nov. 15 & Nov 29), this notice was printed in the Daily program:

Snowball Jackpot Bathrobe Bingo

"Cards on sale at 10:45 a.m.. Games begin at 11:00 a.m.

Wear your bathrobe and receive a bonus card with your purchase.

Van Gogh Lounge, 7 Unquote

We did not play Bingo, so can't give any info on how many wore their bathrobes..However, I'm almost sure if HAL frowned on someone wearing a bathrobe to the pool or Spa, they would never put a notice such as this in their daily program.. Unquote

We don't wear our robes in public, or even in our cabin., as prefer to take our own robes & bathing suit cover ups.

But Mary Ellen, can you or others logically give us an explanation as to why you are insisting on trying to instill your sense of propriety on others, especially when HAL encourages robe wearing outside of the cabin? :confused::confused:

Cheers...Betty

OK, where do you draw the line? Wearing towels? Yes, DH and I have seen a woman wearing a towel (no sign of swim suit straps) running up the forward stairs on the Rotterdam. Following the above logic, one could argue that "HAL actually encourages" towel wearing outside of the cabin as they are supplied not only in the cabanas but in the pool area itself.

I, too, have seen people not necessarily wearing but more covering up with towels at the beach which is perfectly appropriate IMHO. It doesn't make any sense to me your "logic" about towels or facecloths. Anyone with common sense knows that robes are to worn, not facecloths or towels. Why can't everyone just concern themselves with what THEY are wearing and if you see something you don't like you don't have to look. Plain and simple.

As for this thread, I bid you goodbye.

I, too, have seen people not necessarily wearing but more covering up with towels at the beach which is perfectly appropriate IMHO. It doesn't make any sense to me your "logic" about towels or facecloths. Anyone with common sense knows that robes are to worn, not facecloths or towels. Why can't everyone just concern themselves with what THEY are wearing and if you see something you don't like you don't have to look. Plain and simple.

As for this thread, I bid you goodbye.

Mary Ellen, forgot the part of your post which discusses HAL encouraging use of towels & washcloths out side of the stateroom..I agree with Sealady, those examples are

absurd & not even logical..;)

However, HAL encourages the use of bathrobes outside of the stateroom as per the Statendam notice in the daily programs! (See my previous post)

If you & others are so opposed to the wearing of bathrobes to & from the pool & SPA, why not tell HAL on your comment cards..Perhaps they will listen to you..:)

Cheers...:)Betty

Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it.

- Stephen Vizinczey

"Don't try to have the last word. You might get it."

-- Lazarus Long (a.k.a. Woodrow Wilson Smith)

I hesitate to ask, as it might create another war-of-the-posts, but what does one wear to/from the gym ? I plan on going and wonder...is there a changing room and shower there ?

If there isn't, do I just wear my gym clothes or (HORRORS) my bathrobe ?

I will NOT be walking through a restaurant, for those of you that would be wondering........

I hesitate to ask, as it might create another war-of-the-posts, but what does one wear to/from the gym ? I plan on going and wonder...is there a changing room and shower there ?

If there isn't, do I just wear my gym clothes or (HORRORS) my bathrobe ?

I will NOT be walking through a restaurant, for those of you that would be wondering........

You wear your workout clothes:) - and don't let anyone here tell you that's inapropriate also!:rolleyes: (no changing rooms in the Gym, just a unisex bathroom)

Mary Ellen & those of you who believe wearing robes to & from the pool, please tell me what you think of this? Realize we're still beating a dead horse, but can't seem to get a logical answer.. /

This is the third time I've posted it in this thread, however not one of those who think it's tacky has responed...

I have our daily programs for most of our HAL cruises (13) & no where does HAL state that robes are not to be worn in public..

In fact it's just the opposite!

On the Statendam Day 3 of our collectors (Nov. 15 & Nov 29), this notice was printed in the Daily program:

Snowball Jackpot Bathrobe Bingo

"Cards on sale at 10:45 a.m.. Games begin at 11:00 a.m.

Wear your bathrobe and receive a bonus card with your purchase.

Van Gogh Lounge, 7 Unquote

We did not play Bingo, so can't give any info on how many wore their bathrobes..However, I'm almost sure if HAL frowned on someone wearing a bathrobe to the pool or Spa, they would never put a notice such as this in their daily program.. Unquote

We don't wear our robes in public, or even in our cabin., as prefer to take our own robes & bathing suit cover ups.

But Mary Ellen, can you or others logically give us an explanation as to why you are insisting on trying to instill your sense of propriety on others, especially when HAL encourages robe wearing outside of the cabin? :confused::confused:

Cheers...Betty

Betty - I don't think you're ever going to get a response from the "robe-a-phobes" because they don't want to believe that HAL actually encourages such blatant wearing of "improper" attire. :eek: The truth is hard to swallow...

I just looked at the Cunard thead on the same question. They were able to deal with the whole issue in just 28 posts. Obviously they have no idea how important this is.

I don't know what I'll ever do with my time when this thread goes away. :D

Archived