How does Silversea compare to Regent

Seacap

Your mention of Seabourn prompted me to check that forum about smoking. Seems that Seabourn even more than Silversea is a major turn-off for people who can't stand that environment. Lots of reports about people being bothered.

Poss: I should have mentioned that the smoking policy is the about the same as Silversea. It is interesting that you've heard that there is more smoking problems on Silversea than Seabourn as I have heard the opposite. Since Silversea advertises heavily in Europe, and European's haven't had non-smoking policies in place that long, perhaps I was just making an assumption. I did hear that the Odyssey had a large cigarette burn on a brand new balcony after her maiden voyage. . . . such a shame.

My preference for Seabourn is more about service and food quality since both Regent and Silversea get repeated reviews on lack of consistancy. I'm not sure if we're ready to switch from Regent. . . . Seabourn just has those incredible Asian itineraries that Regent doesn't have.

In terms of the vibration, as I mentioned above, there are some fixes that will be made to the Odyssey in a scheduled drydock this year. There is also an issue of smoke (not the cigarette kind:-) that needs to be attended to, along with a few other things.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input,I guess I will just have to try SS and be my own judge.I guess the the golden days of high end cruising is over.All the products sound like they have deficiencies,and compromise seems to be the norm.However that said it is still is a GREAT way to see the world.

Miles, Crystal does get the top travel mag reviews and it's cruisers are very loyal, but excuse me, Regent leads the way for us non smokers..and I will continue to enjoy Regent (wanted to try to the Crystal transpacific crossing (esp w/Keith & Nancy's reviews) on crystal in 2012 but not with their current somewhat liberal smoking policy) Regent, as the top lux cruise line who cares for non smokers better than the competition (Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn & Crystal)

We too have been disappointed with Regent in recent years, particularly the decline in service and food and the constant expansion of all-inclusive coupled with increasing costs, so after almost 250 days on RSSC, we are trying Silversea in April - Silver Shadow from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale. If that cruise goes well, we'll take the triple back-to-back Istanbul-Athens-Venice-Monaco cruise on the new Silver Spirit in September-October, 2011. It includes calls around the Black Sea, in Turkey and the Greek islands, Cyprus, 2 calls each in Israel and Egypt, more Greek islands, Venice overnight, Croatia, Malta, more Italy and ending in Monte Carlo. We think that’s a marvelous trip, allowing us to see a variety places we’ve wanted to see on one [mostly] eastern Med cruise.

The information here about the extra charges for alternate dining and wine with dinner on Silversea is disquieting, particularly as we will again have to pay for the Internet, and do or pay for our laundry. So in case the trial run on the Shadow this April doesn’t work out better, we’ve booked the new Seabourn Odyssey from Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale via the Amazon next February-March, and we’ll see how that goes. One or the other, or at least a part of one, has to go, unless some economic miracle develops.

It’s really a shame, RSSC was so good, and many of the Platinum perks so nice, but we just haven’t been happy with the cutbacks, first in cabin service, and more recently in food and dining service. Plus we prefer to make our own excursion arrangements rather than join the thundering herds on the busses. We like a drink, but not enough to support the all-inclusive policy. Wine with dinner plus the set-up was plenty for us, although we would have preferred a cocktail party or happy hour before dinner to the in-suite setups. We're giving Regent another shot though, the Voyager from Ft. Lauderdale to Reykjavik in May, with high hopes but low expectations. Truly a shame!

Colonel Wes, I would say that 80% do not smoke on Crystal. People who do smoke are considerate even in the smoking areas....which are few. They just take their habit outside or to the cigar club.

I am highly allergic to perfumes. What am I to do? My doctor has a sign in his office that states "Please do not wear perfume during the appointment." The patients are made aware of this before they show up.

So I guess all cruise lines should have a no perfume allowed area. Many people are allergic to perfume or colognes and they can get very ill. This is also true with flowers. I have them removed ASAP.

TC, you said "What would we do without lurkers:confused:. Well, you have been on the Crystal board as well. Why not give them a test drive before you pass judgment. We tried Regent five times and were very disappointed in the lack luster service and food. Loved the suite.:D

Colonel Wes, I would say that 80% do not smoke on Crystal. People who do smoke are considerate even in the smoking areas....which are few. They just take their habit outside or to the cigar club.

I am highly allergic to perfumes. What am I to do? My doctor has a sign in his office that states "Please do not wear perfume during the appointment." The patients are made aware of this before they show up.

So I guess all cruise lines should have a no perfume allowed area. Many people are allergic to perfume or colognes and they can get very ill. This is also true with flowers. I have them removed ASAP.

In my experience and not just on cruises, there are some smokers who are considerate and plenty who think it within their "rights" to smoke as they wish. They may smoke within their areas but if their area is their room or balcony nothing will stop them. So I prefer to opt for a restrictive policy and commend lines such as Regent for it.

Discussions on this topic often bring out the perfume, flowers, bad breath, body odour etc. arguments but they pale into insignifance compred to the problems of tobacco smoke.

For my part, I am amused by the constant "just try another line" or "give them a test drive" argument. I am a pensioner, not very well off and my cruises, expensive as they are, need a lot of saving up for and I, for one, need my cruises to be right first time.

...and I, for one, need my cruises to be right first time.

Well said! When we resumed cruising in 2006 after a long hiatus, we jumped at a low cost opportunity at the last minute on a cruise line that catered to Europeans. After experiencing vast amounts of cigarette smoke, more brief Speedos than I ever though existed, much later dining than we normally experience and bingo being called in five languages, we switched to much more "due diligence" to be sure that we were in the right place. We simply can't afford to make any mistakes that could have been avoided. We now err on the side of caution.

I have to add my voice in being disappointed in our Regent Navigator cruise. We loved what the line used to be and after a two year absence we experienced many changes. On our cruise in January we were not once addressed by name - not even by the cabin steward. The suites are great but the food, service and personnel leave much to be desired. We felt very "tended to" by everyone on Silverseas.

I have to add my voice in being disappointed in our Regent Navigator cruise. We loved what the line used to be and after a two year absence we experienced many changes. On our cruise in January we were not once addressed by name - not even by the cabin steward. The suites are great but the food, service and personnel leave much to be desired. We felt very "tended to" by everyone on Silverseas.

Which Regent Navigator cruise were on? Was it the New Year's cruise by any chance? We have been on the Navigator twice and, did find the service and food a bit less than what we receive on the Voyager. Still, we are giving it another try in May.

Also, which Silverseas ship were you on? Just wanting to compare size, etc. of the two ships. It may be a bit easier to remember names on smaller ships. Many cruise lines have cut back on staff -- including Regent. Still, on our 2009 Voyager cruises, several people remembered our names. I wonder if it is/was just something going on with the Navigator?

There must be some reason why the majority of Regent passengers love their cruise and many do not. In any case, it's good that you found the right "fit" with Silversea. Did you find that smoking was an issue on your cruise. That is our main concern with SS.

Agree with Seacap and others, have seen the service slide over the last few Years.

I did not respond to a posting from Port11 last year outlining their experience re lack of service etc on the Voyager last October. We were also on this cruise and experienced a similar lack of service in the CR and by the pool. A number responded stating in effect it was Port11's fault for not complaining louder???

Although we are booked again for October I decided to try Silversea for this Spring in the MED. However before I booked I checked with others and the smoking policy has deterred making a booking. I have discovered smoking is allowed in the suites and on balconies. I cannot stand other people's exhaled smoke (Reformed smokers), this would deter from any enjoyment. A similar policy seems to also be on Seabourne so looks like only Crystal or Regent left.

I tend to agree regarding the smoking and hence SS and Seabourne are off of our list as well.

I don't mind so much when smoking is limited to very specific areas onboard that we do not need to visit, but I won't take a chance with the stateroom or balcony areas being affected by previous or current neighbouring guests.

I would say that service is still a real strong point with Regent.

It's not that service has diminished really, just that it is not delivered with such ease and élan as previously. The staff are almost universally great, just a little stressed.

Food is usually wonderful, just not entirely consistently so.

Included excursions are just okay.

Entertainment could be better; enrichment lectures remain pretty great.

Although we are booked again for October I decided to try Silversea for this Spring in the MED. However before I booked I checked with others and the smoking policy has deterred making a booking. I have discovered smoking is allowed in the suites and on balconies. I cannot stand other people's exhaled smoke (Reformed smokers), this would deter from any enjoyment. A similar policy seems to also be on Seabourne so looks like only Crystal or Regent left.

I went to the Crystal website and copied their smoking policy below. Although passengers cannot smoke pipes or cigars in their cabins, it appears that smoking cigarettes is permitted in cabins (not balconies)-- too similiar to the policy on Seabourn and Silversea. We want to try Seabourn or Silversea because of their itineraries rather than dissatisfaction with Regent. The smoking issue really concerns us (also a reformed smoker:-)

Smoking Policy

At Crystal Cruises, we recognize that some of our guests smoke and others do not. Therefore, the living environment on our ships is designed to satisfy everyone. Most areas of the ships are non-smoking. There are designated smoking and non-smoking tables in most bars and lounges (except The Bistro, inside the Lido Café, the Crystal Dining Room, Prego, Silk Road and The Sushi Bar restaurants, and the Galaxy Lounge, which are entirely smoke-free). Pipes and cigars are permitted only in the Connoisseur Club, and on the "open decks," except all areas of Lido Deck (deck 11 on Crystal Symphony, and deck 12 on Crystal Serenity). Pipes and cigars may not be smoked in guest Penthouses, staterooms, on verandahs or in corridors. Crystal Cruises kindly asks its guests to observe the non-smoking areas, which have been created for the comfort and enjoyment of everyone on board.

Please note: Smoking is no longer allowed in Starlite Club (aboard Crystal Symphony) OR on verandahs of all staterooms and suites aboard both Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity. Smoking is permitted in select public areas, as designated above.

There are designated smoking and non-smoking tables in most bars and lounges ...

That just wouldn't work for us and I suspect many other people.

Totally smoke free or it may as well be totally allowed as far as I'm concerned.

TC, thanks for posting Crystal's smoking policy per their website. In addition, as of February 3rd, smoking was no longer permitted in the Palm Court on the Crystal Symphony. This went into effect while I was on the ship. There are very, very few places one can smoke cigareetes indoors in the public venues. There is a small smoking area in the Avenue Saloon as well as the Crystal Cove. While very few people smoked, it can be an issue for some. I believe that Crystal will be eliminating more of these limited smoking areas in the future.

Nancy

While a number of posters here have expressed their intent to avoid Silversea because of its more permissive smoking policy, I have read a number of posts in the past from people who intend to avoid Regent because of its more restrictive smoking policy. We quit smoking a couple of decades ago, and have cruised both Regent and Silversea, and have never had a problem with second-hand smoke or odor on either line. So unless you have a severe allergy to tobacco smoke and odor (like my late mother did), I doubt that you will have a problem on either line with smoke.

Of more importance (at least to me) the question of whether you up for real formal nights or not? Silversea has about two formal nights per week, and they are certainly formal. About 90% of the men will be wearing tuxes. So even though dark suits and ties are allowed (i.e., they won't kick you out) there is much peer pressure to wear a tux (I do). Seems like sometimes, I really like them, and Silversea has good ones. Other times, I don't feel like being bothered, and Regent obliges by not having any.

We were on the January 13th Navigator. This was our third time on board though the first two times were a few years back. We also have been on the Voyager twice but our all time favorite was Song of Flower. The enrichment lectures were outstanding. I can not say the same about our recent cruise. I agree that the staff seemed stressed but when I am on a luxury cruise I would rather not have to worry about a staff that appears to be having difficulty coping. Given my nature I start to worry about them. We did find a wonderful waiter and helper in Compass Rose. His name was Gusi. I'm not sure of the spelling. The cabin steward was just okay.

We were on the Silver Shadow while sailing on Silverseas which held only about 200 passengers. The personnel all left me with the feeling that my enjoyment was their sole goal. Not a bad feeling to be left with. We have only been on once so I can't say another cruise will be the same.

We also enjoy sailing in the deluxe suites on Holland America. While the food is not extraordinary, we find the experience to be very pleasant. By the second day we were addressed by name by the conceierge staff, cabin steward and others. The ship held 1900 passengers. It is not like a luxury line but keeps us from getting to spoiled.

If I can answer any other questions, just ask away.

Archived