Cruise Assigned Airfare: We're definitely missing the ship

FrOhara1213

***UPDATE***

I just spoke with a representative from Carnival's travel services department. She advised me that any changes made to my departing flight through the airline would have no effect whatsoever on our transfer to the Port of Miami or our return flights. She also notified me that if we did stick with our assigned airfare and ended up missing the ship's departure, Carnival would pay for all airfare, hotels and expenses until we were able to meet up with the ship at no upfront cost.

Next up: call to JetBlue...

She also notified me that if we did stick with our assigned airfare and ended up missing the ship's departure, Carnival would pay for all airfare, hotels and expenses until we were able to meet up with the ship at no upfront cost.

I assume that you did get this confirmed in writing, either by email or fax?? Or at least get the agent's name? Because if something does go pear-shaped, it will be your word against the written terms and conditions of your cruise contract. Guess which holds sway in a court of law.

Remember, this is the same company that touts their Fly Aweigh program as being something it is not, per the T&C. So, once again, caveat emptor, even to the "reassurance" from their agent.

If you can rebook your flight with another airline arriving earlier then do that. Then cancel the other flights, plan another trip within the year and go for a second cruise, maybe shorter one. Don't miss this trip just because of the additional money for changing the flight. You deserve the cruise, relax, pay the additional money and enjoy your cruise. Life is to short to worry about the additional money and stress out about it.

I'm still utterly stunned by the recent turn of events but I'd like to start by saying that having never flown on JetBlue before, I will never fly another airline ever again (unless traveling somewhere they don't fly lol). Working with JetBlue is by and far the BEST airline customer service experience I have ever had. In the last 5 years I have traveled back and forth to Europe, Africa, and across North America on a myriad of airlines and I've never been treated so well until today.

After being reassured by Carnival that all we need to do is show up at the Fort Lauderdale airport on Sunday to redeem our transfer to the port of Miami, I called JetBlue.

At first the agent quoted me $175 per person to change the flight, which considering the $297 per person I was quoted by Orbitz/Carnival yesterday, I agreed to immediately... but before asking for my credit card information he placed me on hold while he "looked into something else". When he returned I was informed that not only was the agent able to change our flight to Saturday, he was able to book us on the first flight out of Rochester Saturday morning and WAIVE ALL FEES associated with the flight change. It cost me $0 to change my flight to a departure that was supposed to cost me $350 +. IN ADDITION to waiving all fees the agent issued a $230 flight voucher towards ANOTHER JetBlue flight. How this is even possible I can't understand but JetBlue basically just paid me to change my airfare.

What a day this has been; I will never ever book airfare with a cruise line again but I will always book my air travel (the DAY before) with JetBlue. Part of me feels like there has GOT to be a catch but I even called back after I disconnected with the first operator to verify both the new flight itinerary and my JetBlue voucher balance!

First checked bag free, free itinerary change with a courtesy voucher to boot... I'm buying shares in JetBlue stock TOMORROW.

11 Days to go!

I'm still utterly stunned by the recent turn of events but I'd like to start by saying that having never flown on JetBlue before, I will never fly another airline ever again (unless traveling somewhere they don't fly lol). Working with JetBlue is by and far the BEST airline customer service experience I have ever had. In the last 5 years I have traveled back and forth to Europe, Africa, and across North America on a myriad of airlines and I've never been treated so well until today.

After being reassured by Carnival that all we need to do is show up at the Fort Lauderdale airport on Sunday to redeem our transfer to the port of Miami, I called JetBlue.

At first the agent quoted me $175 per person to change the flight, which considering the $297 per person I was quoted by Orbitz/Carnival yesterday, I agreed to immediately... but before asking for my credit card information he placed me on hold while he "looked into something else". When he returned I was informed that not only was the agent able to change our flight to Saturday, he was able to book us on the first flight out of Rochester Saturday morning and WAIVE ALL FEES associated with the flight change. It cost me $0 to change my flight to a departure that was supposed to cost me $350 +. IN ADDITION to waiving all fees the agent issued a $230 flight voucher towards ANOTHER JetBlue flight. How this is even possible I can't understand but JetBlue basically just paid me to change my airfare.

What a day this has been; I will never ever book airfare with a cruise line again but I will always book my air travel (the DAY before) with JetBlue. Part of me feels like there has GOT to be a catch but I even called back after I disconnected with the first operator to verify both the new flight itinerary and my JetBlue voucher balance!

First checked bag free, free itinerary change with a courtesy voucher to boot... I'm buying shares in JetBlue stock TOMORROW.

11 Days to go!

That's great. I have never flown JetBlue, but one of my DS was on a flight back to the east coast during the bad weather around Christmas this year, and I found the customer service reps went out of their way to try and help, when it looked like he was going to be stuck in an airport overnight.

Have a great cruise. At least it wasn't an painful ($$$) learning experience!

I'm so glad this worked out well for you! The final resolution from JetBlue was unbelievable!

I recommend you still consider purchasing trip insurance. Even young, healthy people can have something bad happen on a cruise (appendix, fall and break something bad enough that it needs surgery, etc.) If you have to be medically evacuated from a cruise ship or port, it could easily cost $40,000 or more!

Congrats. I have had service like this with Airtran as well. I was so excited about the price I got on our r/t that I didn't realize that I put the same day in for both the inbound and outbound flights. I sent my DW the itinerary as she is the official document holder. She realized the error. I called and explained to the agent what I did. She changed my flight to the correct day and didn't charge me any change fees as it wasn't going to be the stupidest thing she heard all day.

Congratulations on a great result. I can't imagine your sense of relief. I am a huge fan of JetBlue and they are my absolute first choice of airline. After hearing your story I admire them even more. Have a wonderful cruise. Now enjoy the days leading up to it. It will be here before you know it.:)

Congrats. I have had service like this with Airtran as well. I was so excited about the price I got on our r/t that I didn't realize that I put the same day in for both the inbound and outbound flights. I sent my DW the itinerary as she is the official document holder. She realized the error. I called and explained to the agent what I did. She changed my flight to the correct day and didn't charge me any change fees as it wasn't going to be the stupidest thing she heard all day.

Air Tran has a four hour window, after you purchase tickets, in which you may cancel or change your flights at no charge. Were you within this time frame when you called?

11 Days to go!

Excellent result! I'm so glad JetBlue was able to help you out!

Great news FrOhara - Now you can relax and truly look forward to a wonderful cruise. You'll love JetBlue - they have a beautiful new terminal at JFK, very easy to get around. I was nervous last year going thru JFK for the first time, but it was totally unfounded. Perfect trip with JB !!

I'm so happy for your result. I was reading through the thread and feeling so bad for you. It is good that you posted so others learn to 1. Book their own flights. 2. Fly in a day early.

It certainly takes the stress out of the flying portion of the cruise vacation.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Hello everyone, I've got some serious air drama and am looking for ANY pointers/tips/feedback from all you experienced and knowledgeable posters and cruisers;

We are booked on the Carnival Glory departing out of Miami on March, 7th. We reserved the trip through Orbitz.com and stupidly opted into Carnival's Fly Aweigh program. Had I been actively reading these message boards I would have never made that mistake!

It turns out Carnival has us flying on Jet Blue out of Rochester, NY the morning of the 7th, connecting in JFK, and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 1pm! The ship departs from the Port of Miami at 4pm. We have also purchased airport to port transfers. Considering IF everything on the airline's end runs 100% on time (which is HIGHLY unlikely), we are able to get our baggage almost immediately after deplaning AND we run into NO traffic whatsoever on the 45 min drive from Fort Lauderdale aiport to the port of Miami we'll still only make it to the port, at the very earliest, 1.5 hours before the ship departs.

The sheer number of variables involved in this scenario have forced my partner and I to resign ourselves to the fact that there is a 99% chance of us missing the ship's departure and the first day of our cruise vacation. We have tried to book a pre-night with Carnival but there are none available and when an Orbitz representative called yesterday to check on air deviation possbilies, the fee + fare increase would cost an extra $297 a passenger. We are not willing to pay this considering that if we miss the ship, from what I understand, Carnival is liable to fly us to our next port of call (which is Cozumel, Mexico on Tuesday, March 9th). Still, I don't want to spend the first 2 days of my vacation in airports,airport hotels and on overbooked flights!

So now that you are all up to speed on our situation, here is my question; given that we will MOST likely miss the ship, what can I do ahead of time to make sure we don't epxerience any further delays once that happens? How can I be the best prepared for this situation? Who should I contact first and when? is it better to deal with the airline (loook into other airline's routes to Cozumel etc) or with the cruise line (everytime I call they tell me I need to contact Orbitz and have them contact Carnival for me)? Are we totally at the whim of seat availability and phone qeue hold times?

Please, any advice or past experiences with a similar situation would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks much!

For starters, this is just another example of why I will never book cruise air.

That said, you are mistaken if you think Carnival is responsible for getting you to the ship (which is why you should not book cruise air). From Carnival's contract ...

Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest’s baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest’s sole risk.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

You might want to reconsider that $300 change fee.

In short, per Carnival's contact, Carnival is free to make a profit off of you, Carnival is free to book you onto any flight (read - least expensive to Carnival) and Carnival assumes no liability for doing so.

Did you read this thread? OP called airline directly, was able to change his flights at NO fee, and even received a credit voucher.

See Post #30

No, I did not read the entire thread. This is good news for the OP and a warning to anyone foolish enough to book cruise air.

No, I did not read the entire thread. This is good news for the OP and a warning to anyone foolish enough to book cruise air.
You think these people are foolish?

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1080

3/1/2010

Update on Star Princess Turnaround in Valparaiso, Chile -- March 2

Star Princess will end its current cruise in Valparaiso, Chile as scheduled on Tuesday morning, March 2. The cruise terminal is open and operational.

The airport there is operating on a very limited basis, and the vast majority of inbound and outbound flights have been cancelled. We are closely monitoring the situation.

Should the airport remain closed on Tuesday, we plan to keep Star Princess in Valparaiso for at least another 24 hours so our passengers who are unable to fly out, will be able to stay onboard until flight operations resume. Passengers who are already in Valparaiso will also be able to embark and stay on board the ship.

At this point we plan to operate the following cruise, which is sailing to Rio de Janeiro. We will keep passengers informed of any changes to the itinerary, but the earliest we would sail from Valparaiso would be Wednesday, March 3 at 6 pm.

Passengers who have booked their outbound or inbound air through Princess are being re-booked, and any modification to pre- or post packages have been taken care of. For passengers onboard who had made independent travel plans in Valparaiso, we have assisted them by checking on the status of their hotel, and have provided them with this information. This is a fluid situation and can change at any time. We are continuing to provide updates to our passengers as we receive new information.

Also, yes.

Airlines are rebooking, so it's not like Princess is providing something you can't get from the airlines themselves. With reasonable trip insurance, you are covered for your out of pocket expenses. What is Princess providing that you can't get on your own?

What I really wonder about is keeping prior cruise pax aboard while still boarding new pax. Guess the bookings were so light that they could put both into one set of cabins.

Finally....even if this was some great benefit of cruiseline air, you are overall a loser taking this bet. Let's see - cruiseline air is great if there is a magnitude 8.8 earthquake at your destination, but it's a bad deal under non-earthquake situations. Guess which will happen FAR more often.

I contend that those who buy cruiseline air:

1) Really want the one-stop buying experience

2) Really believe that the cruiseline will take care of them

3) Really want to suspend disbelief about the reality of cruiseline air

4) Really grasp at straws to find those exceptions when a cruiseline does help out

Archived