Is 1 hour layover in Atl enough time to get to my ship?

tcha

OK I know that there is a lot of info out there about the airlines. However, things change in this industry so fast that it is difficult to make decisions based on an opinion only a few months old. We are flying Delta from IAD on Easter Sunday morning at 6:45am. We have an hour layover in Atl and arrive in SJU at 1:30pm. Our ship sails at 11:00 pm. Just want some input. I know that ANYTHING could happen. I did purchase ins for everything.

One hour is within the ules for a legal connection. If you flight coming in is on time and gets to a gate smothely, you will be okay.

That said, I would have to risk a cruise on getting thru Atlanta. Easter Sunday is a busy day for flying. The later in the day you get, the less chance of finding a seat if yo miss your connection. I would go at least a day early.

Sounds like you will be fine..Yes, there are many that won't agree and always insist on being there a day or two before a cruise..that is fine, but is not always an option for many....You have done everything based on your needs not someone elses...Have a great cruise !!!

BTW: I doubt many people will be flying "early" Easter morning or in your direction..most travelers will be flying in the late afternoon or evening..since the purpose of their trip was to be with family Easter morning to early afternoon.....

I've missed connections in Atlanta. Just didn't have enough time to get to the connecting gate even though the connection was 'legal'. Sometimes it was weather and sometimes it was just ordinary delays stacking up against me.

OK I know that there is a lot of info out there about the airlines. However, things change in this industry so fast that it is difficult to make decisions based on an opinion only a few months old. We are flying Delta from IAD on Easter Sunday morning at 6:45am. We have an hour layover in Atl and arrive in SJU at 1:30pm. Our ship sails at 11:00 pm. Just want some input. I know that ANYTHING could happen. I did purchase ins for everything.

Whereas I generally feel an hour is fine, I will relate my experience on connecting in ATL to go to San Juan.

A few years back we booked Delta flights from Lexington to San Juan for a week-long vacation there. Although we thought we'd be fine in early April, by some freak of mother nature, we hit several days of a cold spell before our departure. On departure day, our plane needed to be de-iced before leaving and we departed 45 minutes late. When we arrived in ATL, we ran to the other gate, only to find the gate shut. Even though the plane was there we were told we would have to wait for the next flight out.

We ended up arriving about 1.5 hours after our scheduled arrival time (around 3PM instead of 1:30 PM).

So while you are probably ok, it never hurts to see if there is another option.

Thanks, all , for taking the time to give opinions. We are leaving Dulles at 6:45 am on Sun. Probably one of the first flights. Some in our party must work on Sat so we can't go a day early. I'll just have to take the chance and hope for the best. I do feel good about the ship sailing at 11 pm though.Again, I appreciate the input!:)

Some in our party must work on Sat so we can't go a day early. I'll just have to take the chance and hope for the best.

Is there some rule that your entire "party" has to fly together?? Why can't that person fly on Sunday, while the rest goes in Saturday with some extra peace of mind?

Even if 1 hour is within the "legal" (i.e., airline policy) limit, that just means that the airline will try to put you on the next available flight (meaning the next flight with seats in your fare class, not always the very next flight) if you miss your connection. Atlanta is a big airport. You might look at Delta's Web site and see if the two flights have usually used the same terminal (so you don't have to take the train, etc.). I agree it's risky. You obviously have to look at the consequences if you miss your connection. You miss the cruise? You get on at the next port (and pay to get there)?

Sounds like you are already booked and satisfied with this plan, but for the benefit of other people reading this, I would have kept looking. We allow two hours between flights, especially going outside the US. For a cruise we go one day early. At least you have travel insurance!!

A warning about travel insurance! We were flying to pick up a cruise in Monte Carlo. We were flying in a day ahead so had booked the cruise hotel which included a meet & greet. We flew USAir to Frankfort. We were not able to get boarding passes ahead of time for the Lufthansa leg from Frankfort to Nice. We arrived about 20 -30 minutes late in Frankfort. We were unable to find anyone to direct us to where we could get our boarding passes. We finally arrived at the Business Class lounge knowing we could not make our flight. We were on a wait list for the next flight so we were unable to advise the local rep of when we would arrive in Nice. At the last minute we were advised we could board the wait listed flight. Our cell phone does not work in Europe and we had left the Business Lounge. Naturally when we arrived in Nice, there was no one to take us to Monte Carlo. We took a taxi and got a receipt for the cost - about 90 plus euros.

We were advised to submit a claim to the insurance co. We were told that we would need to provide an acknowledgement from the airline that they were late. They did not admit this. Our TA had submitted our claim. After several months and phone call by our TA, they acknowledge that the claim should have been paid. The check we received after several months (after the acknowledgement)was a personal check from our TA even tho' at that point, the insurance claim had not been paid.

Lesson learned - If your plane is late and you miss your connecting flight and/or your cruise, you must get documentation from the airline.

Thanks to all who have been sharing advice and opinions. Yes, I am asking really, how much I should worry. Also, I guess that I did not give enough info for those who know the airline snafus. Our plane leaves Dulles at 6:45 am. We plan to all meet at the airport at 4:45 am on Easter Sunday April 4th. I think that if we are at the gate at that time then we will have enough time for security. Flight arrives in ATL at 8:46 am S Terminal Gate E9. Next flight leaves S Terminal Gate A 9 at 9:45.am. This is 59 min. (What does "legal" mean?) Both flights are Delta. Does anyone have any other input? :confused:

One distracting thing about DL and their description of the ATL airport....their use of "South Terminal".

There is only one terminal building at ATL.....it just has a north side and a south side, with DL operating from the south.

This may be reasonable information for those starting/ending a trip at ATL as it designates the side of the terminal for check-in and baggage claim. But for all those making connections, it's just another piece of useless information to confuse people, as they would rarely, if ever, go to the terminal building. And even those who start/end at ATL think that there are two different buildings designated North and South (as it is at Gatwick, for example).

To the OP....think of the concourses only. Forget that south terminal junk. And even though it says you go from E to A, it's at least a 25% shot (IMO) that you may have a gate change. Up that to 90% if there are irrops due to weather. Check out the terminal maps at DL's website and the ATL airport website to get a feel for what you will encounter.

Thanks to all who have been sharing advice and opinions. Yes, I am asking really, how much I should worry. Also, I guess that I did not give enough info for those who know the airline snafus. Our plane leaves Dulles at 6:45 am. We plan to all meet at the airport at 4:45 am on Easter Sunday April 4th. I think that if we are at the gate at that time then we will have enough time for security. Flight arrives in ATL at 8:46 am S Terminal Gate E9. Next flight leaves S Terminal Gate A 9 at 9:45.am. This is 59 min. (What does "legal" mean?) Both flights are Delta. Does anyone have any other input? :confused:

"Legal" means the required amount of time between your flights for them to allow you to book a particular connection. Most airlines require that you have a layover of at least 45 minutes or they won't let you book a particular itinerary.

As for other input, try to get seats as close to the front of the plane as possible on your flight into ATL. If you are in the back of the plane and it's a big plane, it could take 20 minutes for the plane to empty out enough for you to actually deplane; that can mean the difference in making your connection or not. Also keep in mind as you are moving toward your departure gate at ATL that they usually close the jetway door a few minutes before the stated departure time. And once closed, they do not re-open it, even if you arrive a mere 3 seconds later. So hurry to that gate!

Good luck!

"Legal" means the required amount of time between your flights for them to allow you to book a particular connection. Most airlines require that you have a layover of at least 45 minutes or they won't let you book a particular itinerary.

As for other input, try to get seats as close to the front of the plane as possible on your flight into ATL. If you are in the back of the plane and it's a big plane, it could take 20 minutes for the plane to empty out enough for you to actually deplane; that can mean the difference in making your connection or not. Also keep in mind as you are moving toward your departure gate at ATL that they usually close the jetway door a few minutes before the stated departure time. And once closed, they do not re-open it, even if you arrive a mere 3 seconds later. So hurry to that gate!

Good luck!

I almost had the door shut in my face in Atlanta although there were ten minutes to spare. The gate agent chastized me for being late as if my previous flight being late was my fault.

Aaaah! Atlanta-Hartsfield! The airport I avoid at all costs! It's not only the busiest International airport in the WORLD, but the five concourses with escalators and trains and the Security line that often winds through the Food Court between the North and South Terminals can make for a cringing and exasperating experience. The concourses are looooooooooong! "Your flight will leave from Gate# 65 on concourse C"....which is always comforting when your connecting flight arrives at Gate#2 on Concourse B. When I fly from ATL, it's only on AA, which has the non-train and very close Tgates. I may be exaggerating, but this is my least favorite airport in the...WORLD! Having said that, you should be OK, if you're willing to accept the possibility of a late arrival into ATL (because 100 other planes are trying to land at the same time) even though it's a "legal" connection time. I'd look at how many flights Delta has from ATL - SJU that day, just in case you do miss your connection. Having said all this, I think you'll be OK.

Darn! I wish I had waited for my husband to look at this. He is the airline booker. I'm the cruise "expert". I guess we will wear our jogging shoes. Who cares about food etc. I just want to get to the plane. Do you think a 6:45 am flight from Dulles will be one of the originating flights from there on Easter Sunday?

As long as you arent on an over booked plane you should be fine, even if there is a thunderstorm you will be ok...we are flying into atlanta on Sunday too on delta, as we always do..but going to san diego for 2 weeks..still looking forward to the DREAM july 17...have a fun cruise!

One hour is within the ules for a legal connection. If you flight coming in is on time and gets to a gate smothely, you will be okay.

That said, I would have to risk a cruise on getting thru Atlanta. Easter Sunday is a busy day for flying. The later in the day you get, the less chance of finding a seat if yo miss your connection. I would go at least a day early.

To the contrary Easter Sunday isnt a heavy travel day, we just booked our flights today for sunday going to san diego and there are still quite a few empty seats on the plane. Hubby is a member of the 1 million club, and his ticket was only 300 for his ticket , which is about as cheap as he has ever gotten..my ticket was free...more ff miles than I will ever use :) However I will agree I wouldnt be flying to get on a cruise the same day as the ship leaves!

Darn! I wish I had waited for my husband to look at this. He is the airline booker. I'm the cruise "expert". I guess we will wear our jogging shoes. Who cares about food etc. I just want to get to the plane. Do you think a 6:45 am flight from Dulles will be one of the originating flights from there on Easter Sunday?

Your flight will probably be the first of the day - an originating flight - since it's so early. Holidays are usually slow travel days EXCEPT for those early flights, which would allow people to arrive and spend time with their loved ones. I still think you'll be fine. The good thing is that IAD and ATL are both on EST, so you won't undergo any time changes. Not like you're flying to ATL from the West Coast! I know you don't want to hear this, but the SJU airport can also be a total zoo on weekends! I'm just saying be prepared. After reading all of this, the chances are that you'll be just fine. Just have a "heads up".

Aaaah! Atlanta-Hartsfield! The airport I avoid at all costs! It's not only the busiest International airport in the WORLD, but the five concourses with escalators and trains and the Security line that often winds through the Food Court between the North and South Terminals can make for a cringing and exasperating experience. The concourses are looooooooooong! "Your flight will leave from Gate# 65 on concourse C"....which is always comforting when your connecting flight arrives at Gate#2 on Concourse B. When I fly from ATL, it's only on AA, which has the non-train and very close Tgates. I may be exaggerating, but this is my least favorite airport in the...WORLD! Having said that, you should be OK, if you're willing to accept the possibility of a late arrival into ATL (because 100 other planes are trying to land at the same time) even though it's a "legal" connection time. I'd look at how many flights Delta has from ATL - SJU that day, just in case you do miss your connection. Having said all this, I think you'll be OK.

Like imsulin I am not a fan of the Atlanta airport-there's the weather, time getting from one terminal or gate to another, staff factors, gates closing 20 minutes before the flight. Jogging shoes are a good idea; I/we've had to run from one gate to another because of a close connection more than once. It will probably work, but maybe it would help to request passenger assistance getting from one gate to another, so you could catch one of the carts while inside the terminal.

And as suggested above, it should be ok, but check to see if there is a later flight as a backup.

Archived