Flat screen LCD TVs on Summit?

donnysmom

Yes, they are thankfully the old tube (CRT) type. Better resolution and the aspect ratio is better for the programming, plus, a wider viewing angle. Unless you have HD programming (which no ship we have been on ever has) you are generally better off with a CRT.

Not so fast my friend!

From the Celebrity website (Concierge Class):

"32" LCD television"

Also, if you bring a portable DVD player, flat screens are awesome! There's not much to look at on cruise programming anyway. And we could care less how good CNN looks on tv. Personally, any advantage on space is a plus. A lot of stuff can go where the old TVs used to be.

According to Celebrity's website there are 32" LCDs in the FV and CC cabins aboard Summit and 20" TVs in all other cabins (not including suites). The lack of an LCD reference for these 20" TVs imply that they are the old style tube type. PelicanLvr and ECCruise, is this consistent with your observation?

SR's have TV's?? I thought it was just a big screen to check the OB charges, make excursion and specialty restaurant reservation, and see what the ship's course was for fun!

I guess I'm not into TV on a cruise. I don't even read the Daily paper...don't want to know whats going on 'out there' until we walk off the ship the last time....sob.

OK, we did watch one movie when the wx was too bad to sit on the balcony and watch the 'Best Show on Earth' and didn't feel like wandering the ship. But I promise, we only did it once!

Denny

SR's have TV's?? I thought it was just a big screen to check the OB charges, make excursion and specialty restaurant reservation, and see what the ship's course was for fun!

I guess I'm not into TV on a cruise. I don't even read the Daily paper...don't want to know whats going on 'out there' until we walk off the ship the last time....sob.

OK, we did watch one movie when the wx was too bad to sit on the balcony and watch the 'Best Show on Earth' and didn't feel like wandering the ship. But I promise, we only did it once!

Denny

My wife likes to fall alseep to King of The Hill. So, a TV is essential. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I am sitting in my Concierge Cabin aboard the Summit and I do not have a flat LCD TV. Unless I got the only cabin with the old TV, I would assume that the Web Site is false. This is something I plan on taking up with Celebrity when I get off the cruise. We actually do not watch a lot of TV but we did bring a portable DVD so we could watch movies at night.

Anyway, I thought everyone should know.

Oh well--we'll just have to manage with whatever TV we are given..I doubt we'll watch that much in Bermuda...

For longer cruises, on nights when the nightlife is not that appealing ..we have watched some very nice almost first run movies on X TV, all free!

I imagine all the ships will get the flat screens when they are re-done...

From the latest pictures I saw of Summits Sky Suites , there were indeed new televisions, deck furniture and even things like bed sheets have been updated. I believe that Suite categories are the only ones however, who have been upgraded prior to any dry dock.

Thank you for your reporting now aboard and live from the Celebrity Summit !

In Celebrity Print Ads ..:mad:yes most or I should say a lot of it is loquacious palaver.

( Do never believe a lot of what youall read..)

I have seen even them saying they show First Run Movies..

Maybe they meant to say First Run of Two..Three Fours years ago...

One 's with LED ( Light Emitting Diode ) Units coming out now which have a 25,000 hour light life vs the CRT ( Cathode Ray Tube ) or LCD ( Liquid Crystal Display ) LCD and LED do use so much lower amounts of electricity too...

I am sitting in my Concierge Cabin aboard the Summit and I do not have a flat LCD TV. Unless I got the only cabin with the old TV, I would assume that the Web Site is false. This is something I plan on taking up with Celebrity when I get off the cruise. We actually do not watch a lot of TV but we did bring a portable DVD so we could watch movies at night.

Anyway, I thought everyone should know.

Not so fast my friend!

From the Celebrity website (Concierge Class):

"32" LCD television"

Also, if you bring a portable DVD player, flat screens are awesome! There's not much to look at on cruise programming anyway. And we could care less how good CNN looks on tv. Personally, any advantage on space is a plus. A lot of stuff can go where the old TVs used to be.

Not so fast my friend!! There is just no way at all to connect a portable DVD player to the in-room television - regardless of the type. Inputs to TV and remote have proprietary software.

Not so fast my friend!! There is just no way at all to connect a portable DVD player to the in-room television - regardless of the type. Inputs to TV and remote have proprietary software.

We sailed aboard the renovated Millennium this past January and while our CC cabin had a spiffy new 32" LCD TV the inputs on it were disabled as were our friends next door in the Balcony Cat cabin which also had a 32 inch LCD.

Too bad because we wanted to review our daily digital camera pictures on the TV and couldn't.

We're on the Summit in 35 days in a CC cabin and hope it's a 32 LCD but now have doubts.... in any case we already know that the inputs are almost certainly disabled. Don't want passengers watching their own movies when they can be buying a P4View and looking at photos from anywhere but the photo gallery. :-)

Just no way?

When all else fails, a component to FR adaptor (or even an old VCR with a component input and and coax output) will give you something that plays on channel 3 or 4.

31JZJ8WCXXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just no way?

Not so fast my friend! ;)

Just no way?

When all else fails, a component to FR adaptor (or even an old VCR with a component input and and coax output) will give you something that plays on channel 3 or 4.

31JZJ8WCXXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just no way?

Not so fast my friend! ;)

:oThat would be true if you were able to access channel 3 or 4 which also are disabled (at least on the Millie with their new LCD 32 inch TV's) I assume the people at "X" have covered that possibility on all their ships.... or have you successfully done it?:confused:

Archived