Autotipping for infant/baby...leave full tip on bill?!...

drumline13

OP, have a good time. I do remember years ago a family at a table near ours had a baby who had a good time throwing food on the floor during dinner. It was a huge mess for the staff to clean up and I always felt sorry for the unsuspecting passenger sitting there at second seating. You might want to bring along a plastic mat to put under the chair to make it easier for the staff to clean up any food spillage. Just a thought.

The first cruise that my wife and I ever took was on Princess (the Star), and it's the cruise on which we got engaged. It's also the same cruise that caught on fire at 3am in the middle of the Caribbean in March 2006, and burned 120 rooms. It's the same cruise in which we spent 7 hours in the muster station wondering if we would have to board the already-lowered lifeboats. It's the same cruise that made every national headline....and ended early....and caused us to spend 27 hours over 2 days trying to get home from Jamaica. :)

Wow, you stayed engaged and got married after all that? Congratulations...I have a feeling you'll be celebrating many anniversaries!

bigeagle: It has nothing to do with the TA...the TA is already discounting the Princess fares by around 10%. And, as cherylandtk pointed out, this rate is for the least expensive balcony for the cruise. Princess charges 1/2 for the 3rd person on some cruises....and close to full (OR full) for the 3rd person for other cruises. It just depends on the cruise. Anyway, the $800 is already discounted from the Princess rate... :) Also, "Voyager" is just what they call that itinerary...

coral: Thanks for your input....good points!

cherylandtk: Thanks for taking the time to give such detail! It was really nice to hear your point of view. Our baby is our first, so we aren't yet accustomed to all of the "baby messes"...like spilled apple sauce, lots of crumbs, etc. All of the different services you mentioned are great....I hadn't thought about most of them (nor did I know they were available). Those are the kinds of services that I would expect from Princess! Your post definitely says that the "tip" is well earned!!

I think it's great that you are asking about these things ahead of time! I remember when our first baby (who we thought was so cute and beyond reproach) decided that throwing handfuls of rice and neatly chopped pieces of spring rolls onto the floor of our favorite Vietnamese restaurant was totally cool! We got down on our hands and knees to try to clean it up, but the staff (who never even charged us for this kid) took care of it. A $20 tip did not seem at all excessive. ($20 in 1974 could have bought the restaurant, but it guaranteed us months of great food and service) One thing to consider (and I speak from experience) is the poopy diaper disposal. These cabins are tiny, with only a couple of very small trash cans, which your steward empties daily. I fly to Oregon twice a year to visit my young grand kids. Their parents (DD and Husband) have routed poopy disposables to the front porch in plastic bags, behind a large bush, because they really do stink! I would suggest bringing "scented" trash bags with you, so everyone is comfortable. The tips for a child are well worth the service you'll receive. Your child will likely need extra towels, as well. Make sure you either bring a crib/Pack & Play, or order one ahead of time. Bring your own diapers. Please do not flush "flushable wipes" down your cabin toilet! It does not operate on the same system as yours at home. Your baby will not be allowed in ANY of Princess' pools or hot tubs. No diapers or swimmies. I've probably given you too much information, but I do hope you and your family enjoy your cruise!

Reading the posts from cherylandtk and imsulin have impelled me to send a big thank-you note to my mother for enduring my babyhood (even my adulthood probably gets on her nerves but at least now I'm nicely perfumed and don't throw food on the floor anymore!).

Reading the posts from cherylandtk and imsulin have impelled me to send a big thank-you note to my mother for enduring my babyhood (even my adulthood probably gets on her nerves but at least now I'm nicely perfumed and don't throw food on the floor anymore!).

Your Mother and I thank you! This "first baby", who is now 36, swathes herself in Chanel #5 (instead of Johnson's Baby Oil, which I loved) and only throws food on the floor if she misses the trash can. I really hate that her house is cleaner than mine. I dust. She Swiffers.

We would not consider leaving the baby at home...we want this to be a family vacation...

:)

Don't get me wrong, I am a Grandma and LOVE babies...but your baby is not going to appreciate a cruise vacation at this age. If I were you, I would leave the baby with a loving family member that will keep him/her in their own environment, around things that are familiar, and on their current schedule. That's what babies need!

Trust me, you will enjoy YOUR vacation much more too. Moms and dads need and deserve time alone once in a while, to rekindle that romance! After all, you are husband/wife first...parents second!

Just my HO.

After reading this thread I am thinking about sending my mother $10.50 a day for the first 5 years if my life. The only problem is that I don’t have $19,162.50 because we spent it all on cruising.

But seriously, there are some very good points here and the OP seems to have had their question answered thoroughly and will now be able to make an informed decision. This is why I love Cruise Critic. The helpful responses far outweigh the rude ones.

One more thought...if you remove the autotip your room steward would have to turn in whatever cash you gave him/her according to what our dinig room servers told us.

We got off the Sapphire a few weeks ago, and all of us at our dining table were giving extra to our servers...all 8 of us left the auto tip on. Someone at one of their seatings had removed the autotip, which meant that our servers had to turn in whatever cash we gave them, even though we left ours on. So we "hid" the tips inside the menus so that they could sneak them. They asked us to do it this way so that they could keep the money.

When we gave our room steward extra, I aksed him if he could keep it and he said that he could since we kept the autotip on.

Are you sure that's what your waitstaff said? From what I understand, crew members are to put cabin numbers on envelopes given to them as direct tips. They are to hand those over to their supervisors who check to see if each party had kept on their auto tip. If someone kept it on, the cash is return to the crew member. If someone removed the autotip, THAT money goes into the pool. But just because one person removed their autotip, only that tip and not all their additional tips will go into the pool.

As your room steward said, the additional money gets kept (after the cabin number is checked). So you don't have to hide or sneak extra tips.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Grandma and LOVE babies...but your baby is not going to appreciate a cruise vacation at this age. If I were you, I would leave the baby with a loving family member that will keep him/her in their own environment, around things that are familiar, and on their current schedule. That's what babies need!

Trust me, you will enjoy YOUR vacation much more too. Moms and dads need and deserve time alone once in a while, to rekindle that romance! After all, you are husband/wife first...parents second!

Just my HO.

Actually, any experiences a baby has will increase the number of synapses in his brain, according to early childhood studies. So, even if the child won't remember, a stimulating environment such as a cruiseship will be of benefit.

For some parents, they may want to leave a child with a relative or trusted babysitter. But not everyone has such a person available for several days. We don't so our child goes with us. We didn't take a vacation, after her birth, until she was 23 months of age. My hubby was reluctant to take that cruise as he thought she'll be nosy, etc. Turned out she had a great time (no crying) and we enjoyed ourselves too, even though she was too young to be left in Camp Carnival. We got to experience the ship through her eyes (we were on that same ship about four months before she was born). After that cruise, we drove down to San Diego and she stayed in her first hotel room and got to experience the Tall Ships that were in that port. We have the photos to show her.

We didn't even consider not tipping for her. When we first met the cabin steward, I immediately asked about the diaper situation -- where I should put them. He said not to worry, just put them in the disposal bags that he'll give me and then put them in the trash can in the bathroom. The waitstaff absolutely doted on her, bringing saltine crackers, crayons, milk for her sippy cup, high chair as well as taking her around on the waiter parades, which she loved. And she was a typical toddler, dropping food (OP, I'm sure you've seen your baby already starting to play the "It's Fun to Drop my Food on the Floor" game).

The crew members will help make your vacation more easier than if you went to many land resorts (unless there's one catering to families with toddlers).

Cruisinchick, I am absolutely 100% positive that that is what the wait staff told us....both of them, the server and the assistant. One of our friends speaks Spanish and he was conversing with the asst waiter in Spanish. He then told us what he said. I was certain that he misunderstood, because I understood it to be the way you did, so the next night I asked them both and got the same answer...in English. They had to turn in everything they got....so we hid it.

If we were bringing a 12 month old with us we would be leaving the auto tip in place. We would consider that a cost of cruising with a third person in our cabin no matter what their age.

Not wishing to get into a long detailed debate I will just say that tipping today anywhere in the US or on a cruiseship is no longer simply about something extra beyond the original cost for service workers that go over and beyond in doing their jobs. Its more often today for simply doing their jobs. Didn't say I agreed with it, but it is the way it is. In our local restarant we can choose to have a $20 meal and leave a 15% tip or order a $40 meal and leave a 15% tip. Same waitress, same number of customers to wait on and same amount of work for that waitress but we are expected to leave a larger amount of money for the more expensive meal.

Don't over think the tipping issue as it will drive you crazy!;) Just enjoy your cruise:)

I am a New Zealander where tipping is virtually unknown so qualify as a tipophobe! We go with the flow and pay our tips when cruising because that is how it is done but grandmateo4 has given the first rational appraisal I have seen regarding American tipping habits. It seems entirely irrational to us that we pay Princess for a service, Princess pays its staff to provide that service so how come we are expected to pay those staff AS WELL?

We would not consider leaving the baby at home...we want this to be a family vacation...

:)

Just my HO.

While I am sure your comment was well meant, the OP already made it abundantly clear that this is to be a family vacation and they have no intention of leaving their baby behind.

Just because a child might be too young to remember does not mean that the parents won't remember the joy of shared times as a family that can be shared through stories and photos later on. The argument that a child can't remember something always seems odd to me. If we followed that logic we wouldn't throw birthday parties, celebrate holidays or any other special activity with a young child. The point is that time spent as a family is valuable, no matter the age of the child.

I think the OP was seeking advice on tipping, not whether it was OK for them to take their baby on vacation.

While I am sure your comment was well meant, the OP already made it abundantly clear that this is to be a family vacation and they have no intention of leaving their baby behind.

Just because a child might be too young to remember does not mean that the parents won't remember the joy of shared times as a family that can be shared through stories and photos later on. The argument that a child can't remember something always seems odd to me. If we followed that logic we wouldn't throw birthday parties, celebrate holidays or any other special activity with a young child. The point is that time spent as a family is valuable, no matter the age of the child.

I think the OP was seeking advice on tipping, not whether it was OK for them to take their baby on vacation.

Excellent answer!!!

I am always perplexed when people say that a baby/child should stay home because they won't remember the cruise. This isn't about what the child remembers, but about making memories for the entire family.

I just logged in to CC tonight, and I see there are a lot of posts since my last one! So, I don't think I will be able to respond to everything that was posted! :)

Coral and Mytime: The whole "fire" thing definitely provided some interesting "engagement" stories! We've celebrated a couple anniversaries since then, and I think the stress from the fire prepared us well!

MHMarkL: LOL....I hope your mother doesn't charge interest....you'll be in some big trouble!

To everyone: My wife and I continue to read all of your posts, so thanks for sharing so much information/opinions! No one's opinion is "wrong", and we enjoy reading all your thoughts.

JLDMED: I appreciate your opinion, and I'm sure that cruising with a baby will be a completely different experience than cruising with just the 2 of us. We know that we could do more "adult" things that Princess has to offer if we cruise alone, and I'm sure we would have a great time. However, we know that we will have an even better time with our baby. With such busy jobs + daycare, we already feel like we don't get to spend enough time with our baby, so what better idea than to take a cruise....away from the daily responsibilities and distractions at home (and away from the cell phone!)....with just the 3 of us? We know that our baby will grow up fast, so why not take some time out of our busy schedules to bond as a family? This is our goal.....it doesn't matter to us that our baby will probably not recall anything from the cruise. We feel it will be well worth it for the 3 of us to simply experience something fun and enjoyable together. And, although our baby may not remember it, seeing our baby splash happily for 5 minutes in the clear waters of the Caribbean will be far more valuable to us than spending an entire cruise without baby. So.....that's why we want this to be a family-of-3 vacation! :)

So, this brings me to another question:

To anyone who previously cruised with babies/small children (I know a lot of you posted in this thread already), did you ever feel that you would have had more fun with just your significant other? Or, did you feel that cruising as a family provided a great bonding experience that you could never get during your busy lives at home?

We already consider the $800 charge as part of the cost, so my wife and I are not debating that one (although, it truly doesn't make that much sense....most hotels would not charge that much for a baby....if anything. It's an $800 charge for the 3rd person in our room...no matter what age...but, whatever, it is what it is...that's a whole different topic)!

Anyway, some good points were made about extra towels being washed, etc. (thanks to that poster!), and this is the kind of thing I am interested in hearing (however, I did point out that we also tip the room steward separately). I am not willing to just hand out $105 because Princess says we should. That's why I asked about what a baby gets for $105. I have no problem paying it IF I know that it is being earned! We tip 20-25% when we eat out at restaurants, but that depends on the service. We don't add an additional $10 because the waiter looked at our baby. If the waiter did do something extra, then sure, we would add extra tip!

We haven't "made up our mind" yet, and I'm not saying the employees don't deserve it. I just want to know what we would be getting for the $105! :)

I agree with you. $800 for a baby should take care of any extra things that need to be done (which will not be many.) And, you are right, part of that tip is for dining service which they baby will have done of. I would wait until the end of the cruise and see if there has been any extra service for your baby, and if not, I feel the $800 more thant enough for the baby.

I agree with you. $800 for a baby should take care of any extra things that need to be done (which will not be many.) And, you are right, part of that tip is for dining service which they baby will have done of. I would wait until the end of the cruise and see if there has been any extra service for your baby, and if not, I feel the $800 more thant enough for the baby.

Unfortunately - that $800 doesn't go to anyone who provides the services (wait staff, room stewards, those at the buffet, etc...)

Unfortunately - that $800 doesn't go to anyone who provides the services (wait staff, room stewards, those at the buffet, etc...)

True, but the baby is not going to be using any of those services

I feel they should wait until after the cruise, and see how much service the baby has received and tip what they feel is appropriate.

True, but the baby is not going to be using any of those services

If you have read the other threads on this post, you will see that yes, the infant will benefit from services from these people.

The $800.00 is what the OP is paying for the baby's fare to cruise, and none of that will go to the staff and/or other service personnel on board. The OP's original question was to whether or not they should leave the $10.50 per day gratuity (that will be charged for the baby as a passenger) on his ship board account, or ask that it be removed. I think the OP has the answer, which is "Yes" it should be left on the account.

To the OP: I think it is wonderful that you are experiencing this as a family. You will make some wonderful memories and your child is fortunate to have you both as parents. God bless you and have a fabulous time.

PS: Be sure you all get your picture taken on "Formal Night" What a treasure that will be for you and your child in the years to come! :)

Cruisinchick, I am absolutely 100% positive that that is what the wait staff told us....both of them, the server and the assistant. One of our friends speaks Spanish and he was conversing with the asst waiter in Spanish. He then told us what he said. I was certain that he misunderstood, because I understood it to be the way you did, so the next night I asked them both and got the same answer...in English. They had to turn in everything they got....so we hid it.

I'm still thinking that perhaps the waiter meant that any cash tips are to be turned in -- as they are required to be -- until the passenger(s)' account is checked to see if the autotip is removed. But that is different from all of his tips are to be placed in the tipping pool, no matter what. Whether or not Mr. X removed his autotip and is giving the waitstaff an envelope instead (which means that money is put into the pool) shouldn't affect what happens to the extra tip you are giving the same waitstaff. Maybe the waiter didn't know how to state the situation or between your friend's translation, that distinction got lost.

But I have always wanted to ask and didn't want to start a new topic.

What do families do with a crying baby in the middle of the night onboard a ship with the cabin walls so thin? Babys cry, there is no way around it. I just always wanted to know how parents handle this, so as to not disturb other passengers in surrounding staterooms.

Sorry for the OT, but I really am interested. ;)

Archived