Carnival Stock On Board Credit

bebob

We bought our stock many years ago when it was about $12 a share -- have really made out on it.

Buy an extra 100 shares doesn't get you any extra shipboard credit.

Oh yes I realize that...It would be nice to own more of a stock where we are making money than those stocks which we lost on..If I had a crystal ball & knew the stock would have taken off like this I would have purchased some in my IRA just watch & try to make some $$$ on....

am I correct to assume that you need to have 100 shares for each cabin you wish to receive a obc for? ie family of 5 & we always book 2 cabins. DH & I would need to each independently purchase 100 vs 200 on same account? or is there a household maximum ie 1 cabin per family, etc

Good question & one we find interesting..

I would think that if one cabin was in your name with your own Credit card & another cabin was in your DW's name with a different credit card, you might get two OBC's..You each must purchase 100 shares of stock in two different accounts such as 100 shares in your IRA (Name) & 100 shares in DW's IRA (Name)...But I'm not sure!:confused:

Suggest you phone or e-mail HAL& ask them that question at: worldcruisereservations@hollandamerica.com

When you get an answer please come back to this thread & let us know..Thanks..

Cheers......:)Betty

Hay serendipity 1499 you beat me in buyin got mine at $19 .49 we went on 49 day cruise 3 back to back around South America got $750. on those cruise than went To Alaska got another $100. not bad ay got get that Cunuck ay in. Stock shares as of Friday close was $38.97 so were not doing to bad

Here is a sample of the letter I send to receive my stockholder's OBC for HAL cruises.

"Holland America Line

World Cruise Reservations

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Gentlemen,

I would like to apply for my share holder’s onboard credit for an upcoming cruise.

My name is XXXX

Reservation Number Booking No.

Ship Rotterdam

Sailing Date November 4, 2008

Initial Deposit Made Amout of Initial Deposit

Booking Agent Agen't Name

Agent's Address

Proof of Ownership Last Month's Schwab Statement – Attached

Will you please send me confirmation at My Email Address

Thank you,"

I mail this letter to the address above and HAL responds directly to me. I use the same, general letter when I sail with other cruise lines owned by Carnival.

Hay serendipity 1499 you beat me in buyin got mine at $19 .49 we went on 49 day cruise 3 back to back around South America got $750. on those cruise than went To Alaska got another $100. not bad ay got get that Cunuck ay in. Stock shares as of Friday close was $38.97 so were not doing to bad

You are so right! We received a $250 OBC on our last cruise in Nov. & will get another $250 OBC on our next cruise this Nov....If we take another short cruise in between we'll get at least another $100...

For once in my life, bought stock which I picked out on my own with no help from our Broker & it has increased.. Our Broker tried to dissuade me from buying Disney Europe, & Steinmart but I never listened & lost my shirt;)..This makes up for it though..:D:D

And our Broker never knew about the OBC's either but our TA did.....

Cheers...:)Betty

Here is a sample of the letter I send to receive my stockholder's OBC for HAL cruises.

"HollandAmerica Line

World Cruise Reservations

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA98119

Gentlemen,

I would like to apply for my share holder’s onboard credit for an upcoming cruise.

My name is XXXX

Reservation Number Booking No.

Ship Rotterdam

Sailing Date November 4, 2008

Initial Deposit Made Amout of Initial Deposit

Booking Agent Agen't Name

Agent's Address

Proof of Ownership Last Month's Schwab Statement – Attached

Will you please send me confirmation at My Email Address

Thank you,"

I mail this letter to the address above and HAL responds directly to me. I use the same, general letter when I sail with other cruise lines owned by Carnival.

Actually we find that e-mail is fast...We sent our request by e-mail with a copy of our statement (account No & with other stocks blocked out) to Karen Stuart on Friday Sept 25 & by Monday Sept 28 had a confirmation from her...The only required info are your Names, Amount of OBC requested, travel date, ship & booking number plus a copy of your brokerage statement in your e-mail..No need to include deposit info or TA's info as HAL has that info in your PNR...We rarely use snail mail these days..[

Also, no need to take a copy of brokerage statements on your cruise, as the confirmation from Karen will suffice../SIZE]

So Rich are you saying that HAL can & do check to confirm that we personally hold their stock by calling our Brokerage House? Imagine that, having to call a Brokerage, would be time consuming.. From now on, will be sure to send them an updated Monthly statement..

Cheers....:)Betty

I guess I was not quite clear. With the amount of information that is easily available about each of us (look up your screen name on google), I can not imagine that CCL/HAL would be unable to get a complete stockholder list if they wanted it. Even without such a list, with the low number of people requesting the credit, it would only take a couple of minutes to verify ownership with the brokerage houses via a call or email. As I stated before, on the 4 or 5 cruises around my cruise two years ago, less than 10 per cruise requested the credit. With 13 ships (soon to be 14) it would be less than 150 / week -- should be doable in a couple of hours a week.

According to Carnival, they do require the amount of your deposit.

Quote:

"

Please provide your name, reservation number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (e.g., photocopy of shareholder oxy card, shares certificate or a current brokerage or nominee statement) and the initial deposit to your travel agent or to the cruise line you have selected. "

They do not say how this is to be submitted so it appears to me that it can be fax, email, or snail mail.

With the amount of information that is easily available about each of us (look up your screen name on google), I can not imagine that CCL/HAL would be unable to get a complete stockholder list if they wanted it. Even without such a list, with the low number of people requesting the credit, it would only take a couple of minutes to verify ownership with the brokerage houses via a call or email.

Could it be done by something as simple as a data match? HAL electronically sends the list of people requesting the credit to the various brokerage houses, and gets back the confirmations.

According to Carnival, they do require the amount of your deposit.

Quote:

"

Please provide your name, reservation number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (e.g., photocopy of shareholder oxy card, shares certificate or a current brokerage or nominee statement) and the initial deposit to your travel agent or to the cruise line you have selected. "

They do not say how this is to be submitted so it appears to me that it can be fax, email, or snail mail.

OK, understand what you are saying but believe you might be mis-understanding that paragraph...There would be no reason to mail proof of initial deposit or your TA's name when it's in your PNR..In my copy of the Carnival sharholder benefit it gives a FAX Numnber as well as an e-mail address to request OBC's for all the cruise lines under their umbrella..

My interpretation of that paragraph is: Carnival is actually instructing you to make your initial deposit with either HAL directly or a TA & at the same time request your OBC by including your Name, PNR (Reservation) Number, Travel date & Ship to HAL directly or your Travel Agent...

When Karen received our request she pulled up the PNR, which had the final payment info as well as our TA's name in it..She then added the OBC into our PNR..

On Monday the 28th we received a short reply from Karen Stuart stating the OBC was credited to our reservation, and will be applied to our on=board account..

BTW...I believe that DBA actually told us how to request the OBC, but not positive..And agree it actually makes no difference how you request the OBC, as long as you get it..I try not to pay for postage, when I can do it either on line, by e-mail etc...That's how I handle our bills & write very few checks by having our account debited..Also our postage savings add up & buys an extra bottle of wine on-board...LOL

Could it be done by something as simple as a data match? HAL electronically sends the list of people requesting the credit to the various brokerage houses, and gets back the confirmations.

If they could do that, then there wouldn't be a need for anyone to send proof of ownership. You could merely tell HAL that you own 100 shares of CCL and it is held in a Schwab account, and then HAL would conduct a data match.

Obviously, that is not the case.

I would be willing to wager that HAL does no checking whatsoever beyond ensuring that the initial "proof" is provided by the passenger or TA.

I never send PROOf of my initial deposit, I just tell them the amount. I agree that email is probably the fastest way for most of us to make our applications and it does save postage. I give them my TA's name and address just in case they might need it so they can send her confirmation as well since I make my request directly to HAL and don't involve my TA.

I never send PROOf of my initial deposit, I just tell them the amount. I agree that email is probably the fastest way for most of us to make our applications and it does save postage. I give them my TA's name and address just in case they might need it so they can send her confirmation as well since I make my request directly to HAL and don't involve my TA.

I don't give them proof of my deposit either. I'm surprised at the detail folks go to. I send my brokerage statement, date of sailing, booking number and the ship. It seems to be enough. I email it.

I would think that if one cabin was in your name with your own Credit card & another cabin was in your DW's name with a different credit card, you might get two OBC's..You each must purchase 100 shares of stock in two different accounts such as 100 shares in your IRA (Name) & 100 shares in DW's IRA (Name)...But I'm not sure!:confused:

Suggest you phone or e-mail HAL& ask them that question at: worldcruisereservations@hollandamerica.com

Thanks for the phone #. No household or family limit. Credit would be available to me & DH as long as we put one of us in each cabin (which we have to do anyways since the kids can't be assigned a cabin without an adult). No difference in how the cabins are paid for. Can all be on same creditcard- only needed req is the stockholder name match the cabin assignment

I want to thank all of you that particpated in this informative thread.

My wife and I are taking a 14 day Alaskan cruise this May, finding out about this onboard credit spurred us to buy the necessary shares to qualify for the credit, which my wife will no doubt put to good use ;). I just sent the request letter (email) off to Seattle a few minutes ago.

A quick question. Will it be a problem if we are getting a OBC from our TA too? I wondered if HAL will balk at giving us the share holders credit in addition.

Thanks again.

A quick question. Will it be a problem if we are getting a OBC from our TA too? I wondered if HAL will balk at giving us the share holders credit in addition.

It shouldn't be a problem. I've always been able to combine them.

Thanks for the phone #. No household or family limit. Credit would be available to me & DH as long as we put one of us in each cabin (which we have to do anyways since the kids can't be assigned a cabin without an adult). No difference in how the cabins are paid for. Can all be on same creditcard- only needed req is the stockholder name match the cabin assignment

Thanks for that info...Good to know...

I want to thank all of you that particpated in this informative thread.

My wife and I are taking a 14 day Alaskan cruise this May, finding out about this onboard credit spurred us to buy the necessary shares to qualify for the credit, which my wife will no doubt put to good use ;). I just sent the request letter (email) off to Seattle a few minutes ago.

Thanks again.

Good for you..We should have purchased it years ago..The OBC's will add up & we also received a .10 cent per share dividend in March..

We've never had a problem combining OBC's...Last 28day cruise we got $250 OBC from HAL plus $250 OBC & Dinner for two in the Pinnacle from the TA...And we put it to good use too..:DLOL

If you've never been to Alaska before, you are in for a treat! We would do it again in a heartbeat..:)

Enjoy your cruise..:)Betty

• 3 weeks later...
We bought our stock many years ago when it was about $12 a share -- have really made out on it.

Buy an extra 100 shares doesn't get you any extra shipboard credit.

What is two people in a stateroom each have 100 shares?

Go to a local stock broker like Charles Schwab and tell them what you want to buy. They will tell you the current selling price, which may or may not be what you end up paying depending on market activity. They will also tell you their comission and if you give them the ok, they will place your order. It is really very simple.

What is the easiest way to purchase stock? I have a very very limited knowledge of this.

thanks

We set up an account online with Ameritrade and authorized an electronic transfer from our bank to them. Within minutes, we were able to put in our buy order. At that time, and I think it's the same now, all buys and sells, as many as you care to do, were free for the first 30 days ... $9.99/trade thereafter. I did call the 800 number before doing anything, and they were very kind about answering all of my questions ... they also said that if I handled this thru their local office, the brokerage fee would likely be in excess of $50. Anyway, there are ways to buy stocks without paying brokerage fees, or perhaps only wee ones.

Archived