Carnival Stock On Board Credit

bebob

I just purchesed 100 shares and going to sail 1/8/2012 on the carnival legend is it to late to get the OBC thanks

I believe the request is to be submitted to HAL at least 2 weeks prior to sailing. But, you can try ... nothing ventured, nothing lost/gained.

The poster doesn't submit the request through HAL since it's not as HAL ship..But as another poster mentioned she should have tried to see if Carnival will honor her request..Their rules might be a bit more lenient than HAL's..

We hemmed & hawed about buying this stock for more than a year..Finally bit the bullet in March 2009 & paid $18.24 for 100 shares.. So far have received $140 in dividends from Carnival & have collected $850 in OBC's from HAL for 4 cruises (including our cruise in two weeks)..Today the stock is selling for $33.08.. This turned out to be a great investment for us..:):)

When we stop cruising, hopefully the price will still be up & we can then either sell it off or leave it to the kids in our will..:eek:

Wish we had purchased more when it was below $20, & really wish all our investments did as well..

Cheers.., Betty

The poster doesn't submit the request through HAL since it's not as HAL ship..But as another poster mentioned she should have tried to see if Carnival will honor her request..Their rules might be a bit more lenient than HAL's..

Thanks ... what was I thinking? Hopefully, he/she got the correct info from the Carnival board.

• 3 weeks later...
The request has to be submitted at least a couple of weeks in advance of a cruise.

They need time to verify that you do own the stock.

Ridiculous.

They don't need the time to verify that you own the stock because there is no way for them to verify it. As I explained on this thread two years ago, most purchases of stock through brokerage firms are made in "street name" not the name of the individual purchaser. That's why you have to provide proof of ownership yourself.

I sent proof of stock ownership in by fax a month ago, and included my email for them to reply. Never heard back. I called, and they verified that I have the OBC. Am wondering if the ship will know!

Take copies!!

A couple of times I had to show proof that we were due shipboard credit -- it took a couple of days for the ship to confirm my confirmation that I had from my TA.

My holdings in Carnival are held with Charles Schwab. Prior to my cruise I take a copy from the page Carnival is listed on from my current statement, mark out information I don't want others to see. I then provide this information to my travel agent and she sends it in and I get the credit no problem .

For the person who has not received a dividend recently, they need to check into this. I pulled the record on dividends paid by Carnival and they have paid a dividend every quarter for years with the exception of in 2009. In 2011 Carnival paid 25 cents a share each quarter.

If you believe in Carnival this may be a good time to buy shares as they are down due to the sinking of Concordia.

I do realize that there will be legal action against Carnival but their liability is limited under terms of their insurance. I also believe there is a risk that some people will give up cruising due the accident but I don't think that long term this will harm Carnival or the cruise industry.

As for me I an not selling my stock now and I have not cancelled my next cruise.

Ridiculous.

They don't need the time to verify that you own the stock because there is no way for them to verify it. As I explained on this thread two years ago, most purchases of stock through brokerage firms are made in "street name" not the name of the individual purchaser. That's why you have to provide proof of ownership yourself.

This is not correct, there have been some recent changes to this and HAL now has to confirm this with CCL. That is why there have numerous posts on this board about delays in the credit being applied. I believe they may have been adding the credit and finding out that CCL would not reimburse HAL for the credit they gave because the stock was no longer held by that passenger. HAL has become very picky in being able to read and verify the stock. I know of several being denied because as you stated some stock is thru a brokerage and held in a street name. To my knowledge these are being denied.

This is not correct, there have been some recent changes to this and HAL now has to confirm this with CCL. That is why there have numerous posts on this board about delays in the credit being applied. I believe they may have been adding the credit and finding out that CCL would not reimburse HAL for the credit they gave because the stock was no longer held by that passenger.

You may believe that, but it doesn't make it true. HAL can't confirm it with CCL because CCL doesn't have your name. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say the same thing. If you're not familiar with the term "street name" you may want to check out this link from the SEC.

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/holdsec.htm

Here's one particular quote from there:

Under street name registration, your firm will keep records showing you as the real or "beneficial" owner, but you will not be listed directly on the issuer's books. Instead, your brokerage firm (or some other nominee) will appear as the owner on the issuer's books.

And here's one more (under the subheading of disadvantages):

Since your name is not on the books of the company, the company will not mail important corporate communications directly to you.

I hope that this will finally put this issue to rest. (But I have a feeling it won't.)

You may believe that, but it doesn't make it true. HAL can't confirm it with CCL because CCL doesn't have your name. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say the same thing. If you're not familiar with the term "street name" you may want to check out this link from the SEC.

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/holdsec.htm

Here's one particular quote from there:

Under street name registration, your firm will keep records showing you as the real or "beneficial" owner, but you will not be listed directly on the issuer's books. Instead, your brokerage firm (or some other nominee) will appear as the owner on the issuer's books.

And here's one more (under the subheading of disadvantages):

Since your name is not on the books of the company, the company will not mail important corporate communications directly to you.

I hope that this will finally put this issue to rest. (But I have a feeling it won't.)

The only question I have for you is....Have you attempted under this way to get CCL Stock applied in the last 30 to 45 days. Trust me there have been some very recent changes.

Just bought 100 shares yesterday and my personal cruise consultant at HAL told me to fax or e-mail the statement showing the pruchase to her and she would take care of it for me.

Can't get any easier than that.

Chris

Good for you. Bought our shares two summers ago and have accumulated over $700.00 OBC. Lots better return than a Credit Union or Money Market!

We thought so too Chief, I like the dividend too. We have two more HAL cruises this year and the SBC and the dividend are way better than what the banks and CU are doing. And we did this without knowing how much the SBC will be for either cruise.

As I stated above, I sent in my request (via fax) to HAL for shareholder credit on Thursday (two days ago). Within one hour, I had an e-mail confirmation from HAL showing that my OBC was applied. I don't think they checked with CCL to confirm my stock ownership. This is my VERY recent experience with requesting shareholder OBC so I somehow bypassed the recent changes mentioned here.

I bought 100 shares of CCL stock at $21. I never bought it for its appreciation potential or dividend, solely for the shareholder OBC's -- and those OBC's have by now more than paid for the stock. Anything else is gravy. It's nice to board a ship knowing that I'm starting off with a credit balance. (Of course that credit often disappears before the first day is over. :rolleyes:)

I made a copy of our statement with our names on it, blacked out the acct.# and information that was not neede by HAL. Emailed it to our PCC Khymberly and we had a shipboard credit by 4PM the same day.

Piece of cake. Call HAL and get a personal cruise consultant.She (he ) will take care of all your needs.

Archived