We've decided not to do any formal nights on our Mariner cruise

I was really surprised when my wife suggested it but glad that I wont need to be taking my suit with me.

However, out of respect for the evening we wont enter the MDR and will do the complete opposite of "Formal Evening" and eat at JR or WJ.

I absolutely love formal night, but on some short cruises that we've done.....I also suggested that we not do the formal night. My husband was just like you.....elated. But why not do Chops or Portofino on those nights? They have such nice ones on the Mariner! We are doing a B2B on the Serenade in June....so that means 4 formal nights! We might only do one each week and do Chops for the others.....or maybe I will just say to heck with it and not do any!! I love Chops!

We did the same thing on Mariner. I told my husband he wouldn't have to put on a tie if he went on the cruise with me. We went to Chop's one night and Portofino the other and had a lovely time. They weren't crowded and the service was fantastic. I wore a nice sun dress and DH just wore khakis and a sport shirt.

I was really surprised when my wife suggested it but glad that I wont need to be taking my suit with me.

However, out of respect for the evening we wont enter the MDR and will do the complete opposite of "Formal Evening" and eat at JR or WJ.

Also, consider Portofino or Chops for those two nights. It's still smart casual on formal nights.

Your wife and mine need to have a chat! ;)

Also, consider Portofino or Chops for those two nights. It's still smart casual on formal nights.

Your wife and mine need to have a chat! ;)

I thought Formal night suggested attire also applied in Portofinos and Chops ?

We have never tried either so maybe we WILL give this a go.

Anyone know what nights will be formal nights on 9 day Bermuda/Bahamas cruise on Explorer ?

Anyone know what nights will be formal nights on 9 day Bermuda/Bahamas cruise on Explorer ?

The way it's worded, it leaves the door open for both. The suggested attire on formal nights remains smart casual, but it goes on to say something along the lines of formal wear being appropriate on formal nights. In other words, you can dress up, or reamin smart casual. Either way, you will not be an outcast. I've known a lot of people to book them during formal nights because they wanted to keep their luggage weight down when traveling.

We've 'skipped' formal night and done Portofino and Chops instead so we didn't need to dress up. You will find all degrees of dress in the specialty restaurants on formal night. Dress code is smart casual all nights!

We skipped the MDR on our last cruise completely. We didn't tip MDR waitstaff either. We did tip the WJ waitstaff who served us. We didn't miss MDR at all.

We skipped the MDR on our last cruise completely. We didn't tip MDR waitstaff either. We did tip the WJ waitstaff who served us. We didn't miss MDR at all.

We only did MDR three times out of seven last time. First night was great but next night which was first formal evening was shockingly bad service and the third night the food wasn't brilliant.

First Formal night is the first full day at sea (day after sail away). The second formal night is second to the last night.

(yours will be 5/14 and 5/20)

You are not required to wear fromal attire in Chops and Portofino. I think the reason is that these restaurants are an alternative to those who do not want to do formal events in the main dining room. Portofino and Chops are always smart casual. But you may wear formal attire there if you wish. Several times I have been the only woman in Portofino in formal attire.

The thing with formal nighhts is that on those days they have the best menu of the whole week (cruise)

True fact, formal nights are billed to have the better menus. The second formal night (on a 9nt) will have fishermans platter, if you dont love fish or little lobster tails, not a big event. I cant recall what the draw on the menu is for the first formal night, Captains dinner. We have always been lucky that the food has been 'good'. We have always found something yummy to enjoy and have always had excellent service. (other than the one time DH and I cruised alone and opted for a table for 2- altho they knew we were seasoned cruisers, something gets lost when you are a table for two)

OP, if you dont go to formal night(s), definitely go to Portofino! Smart casual attire and beyond enjoyable in every aspect!

I think one of the problems with dress for formal nights might be the wait staff. We just returned from the Voyager and had decided before the cruise to use MTD and skip the formal nights.

The first formal night we went to the WJ as planned. The night before the second formal night we were talking with our waiter and told him that we would not be there the next night. He asked if we were going to Portofino and we said no, just skipping formal.

He was very adamant that formal wear was NOT necessary!!!! He said that that was why many people chose MTD....to be casual all week. He said that there would be many, many dressed casual and even in shorts. He said that dining decks 3 and 4 would be formal, but not MTD. He talked DH into it and we went (even casual we were dress better than some in formal). I can't say there were many, many not in formal wear (I was trying to get a good look), but more than I would have expected. DH was as happy as could be, but I don't know if I'd do it again, just out of respect for my fellow diners.

I wish RCCL would get off the fence with this. Either inforce the dress suggestion, do away with it or have a designated "casual area".

I wish RCCL would get off the fence with this. Either inforce the dress suggestion, do away with it or have a designated "casual area".

I totally agree with this sentiment. If people are in shorts or jeans, it does detract from the formal ambience. But if so many epople do not want to comply with formal requirements, then have one deck that si purely formal dining and allow the others to be casual.

I think one of the problems with dress for formal nights might be the wait staff. We just returned from the Voyager and had decided before the cruise to use MTD and skip the formal nights.

The first formal night we went to the WJ as planned. The night before the second formal night we were talking with our waiter and told him that we would not be there the next night. He asked if we were going to Portofino and we said no, just skipping formal.

He was very adamant that formal wear was NOT necessary!!!! He said that that was why many people chose MTD....to be casual all week. He said that there would be many, many dressed casual and even in shorts. He said that dining decks 3 and 4 would be formal, but not MTD. He talked DH into it and we went (even casual we were dress better than some in formal). I can't say there were many, many not in formal wear (I was trying to get a good look), but more than I would have expected. DH was as happy as could be, but I don't know if I'd do it again, just out of respect for my fellow diners.

wait, wait, wait, wait...

So does this mean that, if we decide to do MTD on our next cruise we dont have to dress as if we are eating in the MDR???

For us, parents of two toddlers, having to spend the time making ourselves look fairly presentable, and having to bring the extra luggage required to house all of the formal wear (on top of the required child gear), is the reason we skip MDR dining all together.

Can we wear jeans? Shorts? Tank tops? What's the deal?

I agree, out of respect for other diners I have decided NOT to do formal nights as I don't even want to wear a suit let alone a tie.

That's considerate of you, but I have noticed that formal night is getting more and more casual for some. I'm sure dressed nicely you could eat in the MDR on formal night and be just fine. But either way, have a fun time!

My boyfriend and I did the same thing on Explorer a week ago. However, the staff in WJ didn't really serve us either. None of them introduced themselves to us or offered us drinks even though we sat in the same section every evening. I even brought along a couple dollars on the last night to see if maybe the WJ had a tip jar or at least if someone would attempt to serve us. Nope, nothing. So all my tip money went to my stateroom attendant.

My boyfriend and I did the same thing on Explorer a week ago. However, the staff in WJ didn't really serve us either. None of them introduced themselves to us or offered us drinks even though we sat in the same section every evening. I even brought along a couple dollars on the last night to see if maybe the WJ had a tip jar or at least if someone would attempt to serve us. Nope, nothing. So all my tip money went to my stateroom attendant.

Hmmmm....maybe because we have two young children and can clearly use the extra "help" that makes a difference. I do wonder if you just didnt encounter some of the more outgoing waitstaff that can be found in the WJ - because I know they exist.

That's considerate of you, but I have noticed that formal night is getting more and more casual for some. I'm sure dressed nicely you could eat in the MDR on formal night and be just fine. But either way, have a fun time!

A decent dress shirt & pair of dress pants are all that's required. At least you'll be able to enjoy the better menu's in the MDR.

Archived