Making copies of photos after the cruise

DonnaK

If I purchase a photo onboard, is there a copyright waiver so I can make copies after I return home?

I have this link, but it is for RCI, Celebrity, HAL, etc. https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

Does Princess have something equivalent?

Toto & I posted at the same time. I will defer to his post.

Bob

Yes, Princess will provide you with a waiver to have them copied. Just call Princess after you return home and they will send you one.

Sometimes they aren't needed, but there are certain photo places that make you provide it with a professional photo.

Thanks so much. I usually like to use a cruise photo to have Christmas cards made at Walmart, and I'm usually asked for the copyright release. Up till now, I've always used photos from RCI cruises, so I just printed the form off that website. Glad to know I can just call Princess after the cruise.

Right. And who cares about the copyright violation?

We just take them to one of the self serve photo scanners at places like Walmart or Wallgreens. They come out great! The clerks don't care what your copying.

Right. And who cares about the copyright violation?

Copyright?? I have never seen any documents in my photo purchase that says I cannot copy it. Nor have I seen any signs in the ship photo gallery or any mention of it when having pix taken or purchasung them. I don't know what I would be violating by copying them.

I also think that it is against copyright to make copies of photos that are sold to you. Often it is on the back of the photo. Sometimes it is in those annoying statements before you hit the check mark and make copies. It is the photographer's work (and his money if you make copies for a few cents and he charges dollars) that you are violating. Professional photographers who post on-line have software that makes it impossible to copy without paying for the print.

It just depends on your own character if you will copy pictures when you know you only bought the single photo. Why not skip the whole issue and use a picture that you took yourself. The digital cameras are pretty good and the photographers on the ships will usually let you take your own photo in the "setting".

Just make copies of your own on your printer. I did with the photo of DW and myself, it was a good picture of us, so just made copies for family. Not hard to do, just need photo paper and a good supply of ink.

You may purchase, as we did this past January on the CB, the digital copies for $10 a piece. Add an extra $5 on the first one if you don't have your own USB storage device. We could only do this for the photos that we actually purchased.

The real amusing scenes are to see pax taking pictures with their camera of the professionally taken pictures displayed for purchase! This is much less now.

It just depends on your own character if you will copy pictures when you know you only bought the single photo. Why not skip the whole issue and use a picture that you took yourself. The digital cameras are pretty good and the photographers on the ships will usually let you take your own photo in the "setting".

The real amusing scenes are to see pax taking pictures with their camera of the professionally taken pictures displayed for purchase! This is much less now.

On a recent cruise, I had been hanging out with one of the photographers on shore. Later, back on the ship, I wanted to take a picture of her.

We made sure the set it up with the printed photos as a backdrop.

As she had given me my photos, I certainly didn't need to photograph

any others -- other than as a lark.

I also think that it is against copyright to make copies of photos that are sold to you. Often it is on the back of the photo. Sometimes it is in those annoying statements before you hit the check mark and make copies. It is the photographer's work (and his money if you make copies for a few cents and he charges dollars) that you are violating. Professional photographers who post on-line have software that makes it impossible to copy without paying for the print.

Thats why Princess allows you to get the waiver and print additional copies for yourself once you are home.

Thanks so much. I usually like to use a cruise photo to have Christmas cards made at Walmart, and I'm usually asked for the copyright release. Up till now, I've always used photos from RCI cruises, so I just printed the form off that website. Glad to know I can just call Princess after the cruise.
Have you ever asked onboard if they have Christmas card format photo printouts?

Good thing you have the copyright release - we've had the same issue at Walgreen's photo department. If it looks like a professionally taken picture they will not print without a release. It doesn't matter whether it is marked or not, and certainly the pictures with professionally staged backgrounds fall into this category.

The photographers on Princes do take some really nice shots, so personally, I would love to get the digital rights. They are taking digital pics after all. Why can't I just get the digital file? I don't care if it's in "RAW" format, I can deal with that. Then, I can use it any way I'd like without any degradation of the image. I would pay the $20 a pic for that. And think of the savings in photo paper.

I purchased a jump drive onboard the Golden in March, that is encased in a Princess ship. They downloaded some complimentary stock photos to it, and gave me a coupon for one free ship's photographer-taken picture of my choice to be downloaded, which I did have done. I believe I recall being told, for about $15 per photo, they would download additional photographer's pics to it.

Most professional photographs that they do not want you to copy have a watermark imprint that will show up as a streak of color on the copy. Princess photos do not have this.

That is because they do allow you to copy them but, as has been stated here, you need to have a copyright waiver in order to be doing it "legally." I don't know why some people have such a hard time understanding this. Can you get away without having one? Maybe, maybe not. I mean, I wouldn't exactly call Wal-Mart a bastion of intellectual property integrity but I know Ritz Camera won't copy that formal night photo without a release.

That is because they do allow you to copy them but, as has been stated here, you need to have a copyright waiver in order to be doing it "legally." I don't know why some people have such a hard time understanding this. Can you get away without having one? Maybe, maybe not. I mean, I wouldn't exactly call Wal-Mart a bastion of intellectual property integrity but I know Ritz Camera won't copy that formal night photo without a release.

I just would like to know how you know this? Where is it stated in Princess Policy that you need a copyright waiver. And, if they give a waiver out indiscriminently, why have it?

I just would like to know how you know this? Where is it stated in Princess Policy that you need a copyright waiver. And, if they give a waiver out indiscriminently, why have it?

It's not a Princess thing; it's about copyright law -- you can go to any law school and take an entire semester-long class on it.

Archived