My 1st cruise and this seriously had to happen???

Sorry but you are incorrect. Dead bolts cannot be unlocked with a key...hence...they are dead. The bolt you are referring to is a keyed bolt lock. This you use your key to open when you enter your home. A true dead bolt can only be operated from the inside of your home and does not have a keyhole. My front door hardware has both.

In that case some of the ships that I have been on have a keyed bolt lock which is separate from the card key system to unlock the handle.

In that case some of the ships that I have been on have a keyed bolt lock which is separate from the card key system to unlock the handle.

If memory serves me right, isn't it some sort of funky little knob, about the size of a pencil eraser, that has a flat slit across it?

yeah, I still talk about the exemplary customer service from the Hilton management, security, the LA cops and emergency response team. The hospital emergency room did their job and the hospital was outstanding.

The funny part (or not, depending how you look at it) of the story was that when they took me away in my pjs, they left my wallet with IDs behind in the room.

Due to some administrative mix up, the next shift ER people assumed I was just a homeless guy with no ID, no nothing, just wearing a long pant pjs.

I did not realize that part of the adventure until the 2nd morning in the hospital and everything was straightened out but there was some confusion until I woke up from my nightmare. Still, I got the same, outstanding medical care that the hospital was able to provide.

At that time I did not have anybody in my life but I always had great friends here in Sarasota and my sis in Chicago. They were freaking out because I was on a way home from Asia when this happened and I didn't show up at the Tampa airport. For few days nobody knew what the hell was going on.

I learned my lesson that day. When you travel alone, have at least couple of back up plans with the family and or friends.

Quite the experience. I, too, am glad it all worked out. It is also great to see a testiment to the care that the medical community provides even to people who don't have an insurance card in hand.

I'm recalling raising 3 children.... and never being able to lock the bathroom door behind me .... never having the privacy desperately needed....

99% off topic.

I learned to lock the bathroom door when my dog learned how to open it.:D

Nope. I don't care about daily battery checks. I just want the door to stay locked when I leave it that way.

Sorry, but I don´t believe the story about the door lock being "open" by default when the battery dies. Not in Hotels on not on cruise ships.

This story is I´m sure more about than just a battery failure, it´s been either a broken door lock, or has been a human error as suggested by SD619Girl.

And by this I´m not saying the OP didn´t tell the truth of what was said to him/her, I´m just saying I don´t believe the story s/he was told.

Sorry, but I don´t believe the story about the door lock being "open" by default when the battery dies. Not in Hotels on not on cruise ships.

This story is I´m sure more about than just a battery failure, it´s been either a broken door lock, or has been a human error as suggested by SD619Girl.

And by this I´m not saying the OP didn´t tell the truth of what was said to him/her, I´m just saying I don´t believe the story s/he was told.

Maybe it works like RCI customer service. If she had asked enough people she would have gotten enough answers so that one of them would have been the correct one.:eek::D

Maybe it works like RCI customer service. If she had asked enough people she would have gotten enough answers so that one of them would have been the correct one.:eek::D

Yeah but to get the truth you need to put a little more effort in here. Ask three people and put their answers down and from there start asking people to choose one of those three options you got. After getting enough opinions you should have a good majority for the "right" answer;)

I'm actually quite suprised how lightly some of you are taking this. If some man walked into my room while I was sleeping, I would freak out... can you imagine, waking up and seeing some drunk guy standing in your room!

I want the thank the OP for bringing this to my attention... I'm sailing on Majesty with a girlfriend (my first sailing without DH) in two weeks and will take extra precautions to ensure this doesn't happen to us. I'm glad you and your husband are okay.

What happened when you both woke up and saw him there????

Why are people blaming the victim? You should be ashamed of yourselves.:mad:

I hope you're never the victim of a crime and the judge throws the case out because it was all your fault you got robbed, raped, beaten up, had your identity stolen, etc.

Cabin doors locking is the responsibility of the cruise line. I suppose if the OP had been killed by this person it would have still been her fault :rolleyes:

Drama major? Your reply was #5 and not a single person before you blamed the victim. Recipent of an unfortunate event, but victim? I'll will say I don't understand the sense of entitlement. Whatever happen to an apology and explanation was enough?

I agree.

What happened to you, Liz, was unfortunate, but it truly could have been prevented by your use of the deadbolt/extra lock.

I don't know about anyone else, but I *always* lock the door before going to bed.

$50 is pretty nice compensation!

My wife does too, and I always thought she was overly cautious.

My hubby works in the security industry and always checks that the doors and windows lock properly..

I can certainly understand that, I never paid attention to emergency exits and procedures till I had two hotel rooms go up in smoke. If you stay in enough rooms, something happens eventually.

What wasn't so great was the very first night I spent on a cruise ship a strange man walked into my room at 3:30 in the morning. He was clearly drunk and walked into the wrong room! How you may ask? Because Royal Caribbean didn't conduct the proper maintenance on the doors and the batteries were dead on the door which gave anyone with any Seapass card access to my room. The things that could have happened to me or my husband or my belongings (because, lo and behold, not all Monarch rooms have safes) are just too scary to think about. And you want to know what I got to make up for the sleepless nights I had to endure after that incident? A $50 credit to my Seapass account!

I hope you called guest relations right away. They would have sent maintenance up to repair your door. I know it's a pain to call them at 3:30am but it would have prevented sleepless nights.

We were on a cruise in December and were awakend at 5:00am by a really loud vibrating sound. At first we thought the ceiling was going to come down in our cabin. The noise would cycle on and then off. We wandered around our cabin trying to find the source of the noise. After laying there listening to the noise come on and then go off for about an hour, we finally figured out that it was a CPAP machine (we'd heard someone coughing earlier) in the cabin next to us that was placed on an end table and vibrating against the wall. Once, when it had cycled off, my husband, who could sleep through a hurricane, commented as to how loud it was and how could someone sleep through it. The people in the cabin next to us must have heard us talking and moved it. We could still hear it but it wasn't as loud. Later in the day, we told the cabin steward about it. He sent up his supervisor. We told her what we thought it was and she confirmed that they did have a CPAP. But, to make a short story long -- she said that the next time we had a problem like that, we should immediately call guest relations and they would send someone up to check out the cabin. She said that it could as easily have been a problem in our cabin. She told us not to wait until later in the day since maintenance is on call 24/7.

True story:

I was in Belfast for a motorcycle race (part of my business). We went to sleep and at about 3am this drunk Irish guy is standing at the foot of my bed, slurring, "What are you doing in my room?" and of course I am stunned and realizing the guy is drunk, I tell him "This is my room, get out" and he kind of argued for a moment and then left.

Turns out his room was the same room (location) one floor above.

Here's the point and what I learned. If you let the door swing shut, it SOUNDED like it closed, and did so with a big "wham," but the doorknob latch didn't latch unless you gave it an additional shove which you would then hear a "click" of the doorknob latch.

So drunk guy just put in his card and pushed the door, thinking it was his room one floor up...and it opened...because the doorknob latch wasn't fully latched.

So now I ALWAYS give the door an additional shove to make sure it latched, use the deadbolt and even the swinging metal hoop thing they use now instead of a chain.

I also check the door when I leave to make sure it's latched.

Here's the point and what I learned. If you let the door swing shut, it SOUNDED like it closed, and did so with a big "wham," but the doorknob latch didn't latch unless you gave it an additional shove which you would then hear a "click" of the doorknob latch.

So drunk guy just put in his card and pushed the door, thinking it was his room one floor up...and it opened...because the doorknob latch wasn't fully latched.

So now I ALWAYS give the door an additional shove to make sure it latched, use the deadbolt and even the swinging metal hoop thing they use now instead of a chain.

Yep I´ve seen that with some cabin doors as well, just won´t close securely without that last push and yes I also check when I leave the cabin.

I'm actually quite suprised how lightly some of you are taking this. If some man walked into my room while I was sleeping, I would freak out... can you imagine, waking up and seeing some drunk guy standing in your room!

I want the thank the OP for bringing this to my attention... I'm sailing on Majesty with a girlfriend (my first sailing without DH) in two weeks and will take extra precautions to ensure this doesn't happen to us. I'm glad you and your husband are okay.

What happened when you both woke up and saw him there????

Well, my husband is a light sleeper and woke up when the guy turned the light on. I woke up from the commotion and saw a man standing there and immediately started screaming bloody murder. (and no one heard me which scares me a little). I felt bad because the man relieved himself when I started screaming. I couldn't stop shaking....I called Guest Relations and security came down.

True story:

I was in Belfast for a motorcycle race (part of my business). We went to sleep and at about 3am this drunk Irish guy is standing at the foot of my bed, slurring, "What are you doing in my room?" and of course I am stunned and realizing the guy is drunk, I tell him "This is my room, get out" and he kind of argued for a moment and then left.

Turns out his room was the same room (location) one floor above.

I appreciate your two cents - but I'm not some 18 year old kid. My husband and I do a good amount of traveling, well, at least I think we do. I am pretty sure I would know if the door closed and locked behind me. Maintenance changed the batteries in front of me at 3:30am.

Well, my husband is a light sleeper and woke up when the guy turned the light on. I woke up from the commotion and saw a man standing there and immediately started screaming bloody murder. (and no one heard me which scares me a little). I felt bad because the man relieved himself when I started screaming. I couldn't stop shaking....I called Guest Relations and security came down.

what cabin did you have?? I cant believe your neighbors didnt hear you.WOW:eek:

Cool. That makes a nice last-minute embellishment to the story. It's getting better all the time. That is somewhat concerning, though, that with two other people in the cabin with you, no one heard you scream.

Cool. That makes a nice last-minute embellishment to the story. It's getting better all the time. That is somewhat concerning, though, that with two other people in the cabin with you, no one heard you scream.

Please answer me this, what would I gain in making up a story and furthermore embellishing it? While I was screaming I notice the man was sweating profusely, must have spilled a drink on his shirt and that there was a wet spot in that area. My husband said that when I woke up and started screaming that is when he wet himself. I have taken several defense classes to take in as many details as possible when I feel threatened. And yeah, I felt just a tad threatened.

Where did you read there were two other people in the cabin with us? It was just my husband and myself.

Where did you read there were two other people in the cabin with us? It was just my husband and myself.

Husband + Drunk guy = Two people + you;)

Now, I feel sorry for the poor guy...I wonder if they did anything for him? the least they should have done was launder his clothes.

It is so unfortunate this happened, thank goodness your DH nor the drunk reacted in a violent way..

Dear OP:

I know it is easy to focus on those posts who you feel are laughing at your or saying you are making something up, or in general offending you. Even if they don't mean it, I know from personal experience its easy to get hurt and offended.

Aside from that there are several of us who have expressed that this was indeed unfortunate and not your fault. However, one question that has been asked and not answered is "What else did you expect/want from RCCL?"

My understanding is that the fixed the issue promtly and gave you a $50 credit. To alot of us this seems very fair. What what was your problem with this?

What I can't get over is how freaked out people are that a fellow cruiser got the wrong room and is suddenly some murderous villain.

I don't fear my fellow pax, mistakes made or not. Sure, he was drunk. Makes it easier to get him out of the room.

yeah, it woulda surprised, shocked, whatever, but I wouldn't automatically assume that I was going to be robbed or beaten. Really, those things are best undertaken while sober. so I've heard.

Please answer me this, what would I gain in making up a story and furthermore embellishing it? While I was screaming I notice the man was sweating profusely, must have spilled a drink on his shirt and that there was a wet spot in that area. My husband said that when I woke up and started screaming that is when he wet himself. I have taken several defense classes to take in as many details as possible when I feel threatened. And yeah, I felt just a tad threatened.

Screaming sounds like panic. Isn't one part of defense training to NOT panic? I have not taken any defense classes, but panic seems as if it would immediately put you at a disadvantage.

Archived