No more price drops for RC?

I would book my air and then be prepared to book the cruise as soon as I saw the cabin count getting low or the rates drop. I personally dont know how miles work so can't comment on that.

I just think if they are truly going to only honor price drops after final payment they are going to see a huge swing in people waiting to book. Maybe people who fly or have that specific cabin they are willing to pay top dollar for will book early, but most are looking for the cheapest price IMO.

For those who are still getitng price drops today, I did read about some being "granfathered in" or something to that affect..

I really like what someone posted earlier. The gist was that he picks a week that he wants to cruise. When he finds good flight pricing he locks it in. Then he watches the various cruises until he finds a good value and books it for the week that hea already booked the flights.

This is a great idea for a port like Ft. Lauderdale where there are 5-6 ships sailing every Saturday and Sunday. You just have to be a bit flexible as to which ship you want to book.

That's why I called yesterday. It said call for availability on Mariner OTS for guarantee. ..but she said it was not available ...

Its a mystery to me too why it would say to call though if its not available... but I did call and ask.

It's called "Sales 101" ... get them IN the store, or ON the line and you have a better chance to sell them something.

I hope you aren't saying I threw you under the bus, I certainly did not, I quoted RCL who blamed TA's for changes in their best price policy.

You need to read my first sentence again ... I WAS talking to RCI ... not YOU ... :rolleyes:

~dianne

So, if I understand the new policy correctly, I have to book the cruise a year out like I usually do. Then, when the price goes down, I have to cancel the booking and rebook the cruise....... Time to start voting with my $$$ no thank you to this new policy.

So, if I understand the new policy correctly, I have to book the cruise a year out like I usually do. Then, when the price goes down, I have to cancel the booking and rebook the cruise....... Time to start voting with my $$$ no thank you to this new policy.

I don't think it says that at all. If you book a year out as you usually do, and you see a price drop, just call as you always would and you will get it if it applies to your booking. You don't have to cancel and rebook.

The new Best Price Guarantee ONLY applies to those who book during the penalty phase.

From the Sticky Posted at the top of the RCI page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1203353

What if I book prior to the penalty period and the price drops? Can I still get something?

A: Again, the Best Price Guarantee doesn't apply if you book before final payment is due and the penalty period begins -- but you do have several options. If you book before final payment and the price drops on your itinerary, cabin category and sail date, you can request a fare adjustment or an upgrade if applicable, and the line will accommodate you. If you see a price drop on a different cabin category or sailing and you'd like to take advantage of that offer, you can cancel without penalty and rebook at the lower fare.

Once final payment is made, you are locked into the rate you paid and have no more opportunities to receive a price differential in onboard credit. However, as mentioned above, if the price drops such that a higher-category cabin now costs the same as what you paid, you can request an upgrade, if a cabin is available

What the hell was this comment for. I asked a simple question that could have been answered without having to read 16 pages. Your comment was uncalled for.

I read this as meaning your booking fell under the "normal" rule - the old rule, not that your not reading all the posts was normal (although I can see how it could be interpreted that way, but not sure what was meant by "ops" - maybe I am computer-illiterate and it has a special meaning like btw, which I finally figured out means "by the way". "Other people say"? (Maybe someone can help me out here?????:o)

OK, I get it now but...wouldn't it make more sense to either not show a "guarantee" on the website rather than saying call for availability? Why have people make unnecessary phone calls thus tying up a phone line and rep just to find out that something does not exist?

And sometimes it IS that way...no guarantee at all shows. Other times it shows as not available on line. You DO have a point about the phone calls. Maybe that's their way of getting us to call and be put on hold so that we hang up and don't bother them. :rolleyes:

Senseless, isn't it?

Gina

Interesting how so many people are saying the price policy really hasn't changed but Royal says this benefits their TA's because they don't lose commissions over price drops. Which is it?

Either everyone is still getting their adjustments or less adjustments are being made, benefitting the TAs (according to Royal). The new policy is just another way to trim costs for Royal by giving out less refunds overall.

The only option currently is to pay top price (because those discounts will only be coming 48 hours after final) or to book last-minute.

Interesting how so many people are saying the price policy really hasn't changed but Royal says this benefits their TA's because they don't lose commissions over price drops. Which is it?

Either everyone is still getting their adjustments or less adjustments are being made, benefitting the TAs (according to Royal). The new policy is just another way to trim costs for Royal by giving out less refunds overall.

The only option currently is to pay top price (because those discounts will only be coming 48 hours after final) or to book last-minute.

I think you arent considered that booking early can still be the cheapest price. I was thrilled to book Mariner out of Galveston at prices starting at $479. Oasis ... again prices have been going mostly up if you book when the prices are released.

i.e. if the price is right Im going to book early and take my chances. For some who are in Florida maybe they are used to last minute price drops. Iv only once gotten one for $50 pp. Last minute RCL prices out of Galveston are rarely as cheap as they are right now for Mariner.

A day later, we finally get clarity on the "Does the Best Price Guarantee apply to all bookings or just those made inside penalty?" question. Answer: It applies to everyone.

Here's the updated version of our story: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3880

I wonder what changes they'll come up with tomorrow...Apparently, some Royal Caribbean brands are using the Cruise Critic article to explain the policy to their customers!

I think you arent considered that booking early can still be the cheapest price. I was thrilled to book Mariner out of Galveston at prices starting at $479. Oasis ... again prices have been going mostly up if you book when the prices are released.

I agree with this. We booked the Serenade for Fall 2011 for under $500pp. At that price I am not expecting too many prices drops (especially considering to sail the same week in 2010 is over $700pp).

A day later, we finally get clarity on the "Does the Best Price Guarantee apply to all bookings or just those made inside penalty?" question. Answer: It applies to everyone.

Here's the updated version of our story: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3880

I wonder what changes they'll come up with tomorrow...Apparently, some Royal Caribbean brands are using the Cruise Critic article to explain the policy to their customers!

Well here is another potential issue. The article states that you are elegible for price drops until final payment. It does NOT say after the final payment deadline. So, if someone pays off their cruise early does that lock them out of any price drops that occur after that payment was made?

It really is no wonder that whenever you call RCI customer service the answer that you receive to any question is a crap shoot.

After I booked Independence last year their was a price drop TWO days after final payment which was $350.00 pp. Over two cabins that was $1400.00. I believe that I will have to be one of the last minute people from now on. That was a very significant drop. I will take my chances, not be set on a particular ship. As I states earlier, with 5-6 ships leaving Ft. Lauderdle every Saturday and Sunday there will be deals to be had.

After I booked Independence last year their was a price drop TWO days after final payment which was $350.00 pp. Over two cabins that was $1400.00. I believe that I will have to be one of the last minute people from now on. That was a very significant drop. I will take my chances, not be set on a particular ship. As I states earlier, with 5-6 ships leaving Ft. Lauderdle every Saturday and Sunday there will be deals to be had.

In fact.........IF you aren't cabin specific and can lay out the cash all at once.......you would be better off booking 30 to 45 days before sailing......of course you would have to make sure you are going and have things like airline flights booked, hotel rooms etc.......could be done, but for us where we live things like airline seats that close could be a problem.

The same thing happened to us (on Costa). It was a $300 p/p price drop. I know people say it's after final payment, you should be happy with the price you got, yada yada, etc. etc. But when it happens to you it is infuriating, especially when it's just a day or two after final.

Fortunately, our TA got us the money in OBC.:)

In fact.........IF you aren't cabin specific and can lay out the cash all at once.......you would be better off booking 30 to 45 days before sailing......of course you would have to make sure you are going and have things like airline flights booked, hotel rooms etc.......could be done, but for us where we live things like airline seats that close could be a problem.

As long as you have the week picked out that you want to go you can book your flights long before you book your cruise. Then you book the cruise later that gives you a good deal for that week.

As long as you have the week picked out that you want to go you can book your flights long before you book your cruise. Then you book the cruise later that gives you a good deal for that week.

And if the cruise price goes way up due to high demand? Then what about the plane ticket (if it isn't a refundable ticket)? There is no way of knowing which cruises will go up or down in price as the sailing gets closer.

Gina

And if the cruise price goes way up due to high demand? Then what about the plane ticket (if it isn't a refundable ticket)? There is no way of knowing which cruises will go up or down in price as the sailing gets closer.

Gina

But don't you think that with 12 sailing out of one port over a weekend that, unless you are looking at a vacation week, you are more than likely to find some deals once the penalty phase has kicked in on at least SOME of those sailings?

wow..they just seem determined to tick off their most loyal customers don't they? I always book my cruises at least a year out..sometimes longer...I know there was never any guarentee of a price drop..but it was always fun to check & hope..now they have really stacked the deck against us... TA's can't discount their cruises..so what are the chances of finding a "lower" price within 48 hours? Guess it really is time to see what other lines have to offer in cruise expereinces...:(

That's what I was just thinking - since RCCL controls all the pricing, you won't 'find another price' anywhere else. It's only if you watch to see whether your sailing goes down within 2 days.

This is awesome - I just convinced someone to book during the Wow Sale for January 2011, based solely on the notion that we could always get any discounts that come up. Incredible! And now I feel obligated to book, too, since my friend did, even though it's probably going to screw me in the end.

And now there's no incentive to book the new/more expensive ships. We'll just wait until the last possible minute to get a Hot Deal.

Ok I surrender and am throwing in the towel and ready to walk the plank. This is so confusing and so typical on RCL to put out a new policy change with very little clarification it is like reading the small print on a contract you know it is english but have no idea what they are saying.

I do not care about the 110% the chances of finding a cheaper rate in 48 hours will never happen. All I want to know is if I book outside the penalty period and there is a senior or resident rate will I get it. In reading over the latest RCL blurb it seem that you do up until final payment is due is that correct? The biggest change to the policy is that you could get a price drop up until 72 hours before the ship sails now you can't.

I can really understand the frustration and confusion when clear concise communication is not layed out well. RCL is a master when it comes to confusion and the lack of good communication. One would think based on their prior record they would learn not to put out something unless it is fully explained but that would be to logical. What on earth am I saying logic and RCL in the same sentence those two never quite seem to go together.

It is time to get a glass of wine and just chill and pretend this is all a bad dream.

But don't you think that with 12 sailing out of one port over a weekend that, unless you are looking at a vacation week, you are more than likely to find some deals once the penalty phase has kicked in on at least SOME of those sailings?

This will work fine for people who want to cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

However for people who want to sail on itineraries out of Europe, San Juan, Galveston or other ports where there is 1 or 2 ships than there would be considerable risk with booking airfare first and waiting until last minute to book the cruise.

This will work fine for people who want to cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

However for people who want to sail on itineraries out of Europe, San Juan, Galveston or other ports where there is 1 or 2 ships than there would be considerable risk with booking airfare first and waiting until last minute to book the cruise.

I completely agree. It would only work in a place like Port Everglades where you can even throw Miami's sailings into the mix too.

Well here is another potential issue. The article states that you are elegible for price drops until final payment. It does NOT say after the final payment deadline. So, if someone pays off their cruise early does that lock them out of any price drops that occur after that payment was made?

It really is no wonder that whenever you call RCI customer service the answer that you receive to any question is a crap shoot.

I didn't think to ask about this. Do many people pay in full before they have to? And if so, why? I figured people would keep their own money in their pockets until they absolutely had to give it up.

I didn't think to ask about this. Do many people pay in full before they have to? And if so, why? I figured people would keep their own money in their pockets until they absolutely had to give it up.

Erica

When you are retired and living on a budget..........you budget for cruising:).......when you have more than one booked at a time like we normally do, you pay it off as you go........sometimes a couple of months early so you can start paying on the next one:p. It's that or take it out of investments.......(which haven't done just great lately).

I don't know about others Erica, but we will usually pay up to 3 weeks in advance of final payment, so that our Royal Caribbean Visa (double) points will post and can be used on the cruise that we will be sailing on. :) Thanks for all your efforts to explain this new policy.

Archived