No more price drops for RC?

All of them.:(

I called Princess and was told they give refunds after final payment and NCL said it depends on the cruise, etc. - that it was done on a case-by-case basis. She would not give me a definite answer no matter how much I questioned her. Guess I'll start checking out Princess or booking last minute.

I can tell you that Carnival's ES isn't fabulous in all situations though.

When they say "no name changes" they are serious. There is a young man with 2 kids who had planned to sail as a family of 4 (mom, dad and two kids). Well, 2 weeks before the cruise, mom decided that she just didn't want to be in the relationship anymore with dad. The booking was Early Saver. Dad had already made final payment. He had to eat that entire amount he paid for mom and he went on the cruise without her.

He couldn't transfer anyone else into that booking. :( Not even grandma.

I can understand this....it's a rule and I never expect them to bend the rule even in an odd situation like that.

I realize anything can happen between now and my cruise next March, too. But outside of a major problem we are committed to cruising with our friends from down under as they are with us so ES will work for us. If one of us dies....that's the risk. (heaven forbid) But if we got sick or something, we could just change the reservation for $50 a person - also a fair risk for us.

I think people just have to weigh the benefits and risks of ES and READ the fine print first. I did find the policy sort of offensive at first, then I rethought it. It's great when you are absolutely sure that's what you want to do and when you want to do it. In the past I've been pretty non-committed to my cruise dates. Even now I have one that will be canceled if there's not a significant price drop prior to final payment day.

Gina

A couple of questions about ES plan.

1) If you have insurance, would that cover the loss of deposit if you cancel? I'm talking 3rd party insurance, not cruise line.

2) Do you have to bring the price drops to Carnival's attention or do they automatically do it?

Tucker in Texas

1) If you have insurance, would that cover the loss of deposit if you cancel? I'm talking 3rd party insurance, not cruise line.

2) Do you have to bring the price drops to Carnival's attention or do they automatically do it?

Tucker in Texas

Tucker, cannot answer the first question on the second question I do not believe it is done automactically. I brought all price drops to my TA and then Carnival honored them.

Have friends that are currently on Mariner..........I got an email from them and after answering them I told them about the new Best Price Guarantee Program. Even sent her the link of the interview that Erica had conducted (sent the revised copy). They went to the LA on board and she had not heard anything about a New Best Price Guarantee Program!:eek: Hmmm, wonder how many cruises were booked with folks unaware of the changes?

And then they wonder why we are so confused and upset.

Have friends that are currently on Mariner..........I got an email from them and after answering them I told them about the new Best Price Guarantee Program. Even sent her the link of the interview that Erica had conducted (sent the revised copy). They went to the LA on board and she had not heard anything about a New Best Price Guarantee Program!:eek: Hmmm, wonder how many cruises were booked with folks unaware of the changes?

And then they wonder why we are so confused and upset.

i have friends onboard too. they booked three cruises. the LA screwed up 2 of them. my friend called me from the ship, told me what she booked. i retrieved all 3 bookings only one said what my friend told me.:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Tucker in Texas

1)It depends

If you buy 3rd party insurance that has the "Cancel for any reason" option. Then you can cover the loss of the deposit if you cancel for any reason.

If you get sick and you have 3rd party insurance, then it may cover that deposit amount because it is a loss due to illness. But you would have to talk to the insurance company at the time of booking just to confirm. Each company is different.

2) yes it is up to you (or your TA) to monitor price drops. Once you find one you have to fill out the Early Saver form. Then you email the Early Saver form to Carnival and wait (up to 4 days) to see if they honor your price drop. Then they email you back to say if they have accepted or denied your price drop. The best way to handle that is to take a screen print when you find the price drop to prove what you are seeing when you see it.

ALSO, one thing I have noticed is that CCL started getting tricky with their price drops. They don't just drop prices as RCI does. They do more category upgrades. And once you accept that upgrade - you know that the higher categories rarely see price drops.

Slightly OT about Price guarantees and screen shots. I booked 2 (sort of expensive) pre-cruise hotel rooms in Vancouver a few years ago through one of the travel sites. The site had a 24 hour guarantee if you found a lower price. I booked them one evening, and was goofing around on other sites the next evening and found the same rooms available for $12 less. ($24 total). Aha! So I went back to the first site and filled out the claim form and found out I had to attach a screen shot to the form. :eek:

I had absolutely no idea how to do that and I was clicking print screen everywhere. There is a button, and I didn't know how to work it, and I was researching on various websites for instructions....and I finally figured it out and it was 12 minutes past their 24 hour guarantee cut off time. :o

After their initial refusal, they did eventually give me the refund. I explained that it had taken me almost 2 hours to learn how to use the "Print Screen" button and did they really want to lose my business over $24? :D I know how to use that darn button now though! :)

EDIT: And in case you are wondering....it is Ctrl/Alt/PrtScr buttons at the same time and then paste it on either a word document or email. :-)

Slightly OT about Price guarantees and screen shots. I booked 2 (sort of expensive) pre-cruise hotel rooms in Vancouver a few years ago through one of the travel sites. The site had a 24 hour guarantee if you found a lower price. I booked them one evening, and was goofing around on other sites the next evening and found the same rooms available for $12 less. ($24 total). Aha! So I went back to the first site and filled out the claim form and found out I had to attach a screen shot to the form. :eek:

I had absolutely no idea how to do that and I was clicking print screen everywhere. There is a button, and I didn't know how to work it, and I was researching on various websites for instructions....and I finally figured it out and it was 12 minutes past their 24 hour guarantee cut off time. :o

After their initial refusal, they did eventually give me the refund. I explained that it had taken me almost 2 hours to learn how to use the "Print Screen" button and did they really want to lose my business over $24? :D I know how to use that darn button now though! :)

EDIT: And in case you are wondering....it is Ctrl/Alt/PrtScr buttons at the same time and then paste it on either a word document or email. :-)

I can imagine your frustration! Glad you were able to get it. I use "print screen" often and all I have to do is hit "print screen" and then go to WORD to paste. Don't have to use Ctrl/Alt combination :confused::confused:

I can imagine your frustration! Glad you were able to get it. I use "print screen" often and all I have to do is hit "print screen" and then go to WORD to paste. Don't have to use Ctrl/Alt combination :confused::confused:

Someone tech explained the difference to me. The ctrl/alt doesnt give you the time on the bottom of the screen I believe... there is a difference. Its better to NOT use the ctrl/alt.

Tucker in Texas

I know Michelle disagrees, but we are having someone in insurance look into this. Its not as simple as you stated.

With ES, before final payment date, you are charged a fee of $50 pp. The rest of the deposit is held for 2 years from the date you cancel as a future cruise. The money has not been lost, you don't lose it for 2 years, and that's if you don't book another cruise. You have only "lost" $50 pp, which insurance would cover.

The only time you lose all your deposit and could claim for insurance would be after final payment date. Regular penalty for cancellations apply, same as for any rate, ES is no different.

The 2 years starts on the date you cancel, so if you don't book very often, sometimes its advantageous to wait to cancel closer to final payment. And no the Price Drops are not automatic.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start something....I can't get mine to "paste" with just the print screen button. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. :o By all means, everyone should do what works for them.

Not to worry....you didn't start anything. I'm not very computer savvy either but always trying to learn new things....took me forever to discover you had to go somewhere and paste it!:p I expected that when I hit "print screen", that is what it would do:rolleyes:

I know Michelle disagrees, but we are having someone in insurance look into this. Its not as simple as you stated.

You said the magic word - insurance. The guy I talked about in my first example (family of 4, mom decided she didn't want to be in the relationship two weeks before the cruise). The dad told me he would take care of the insurance and assured me he would. Well, he never did. He put it on one of his cruises but not the one that she cancelled. :eek: Yeah, I about had a coronary when he told me.

So, yes, I agree 100%. Have someone that specializes in insurance look into it. There are too many "what ifs" when you are dealing with the Early Savers on Carnival.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start something....I can't get mine to "paste" with just the print screen button. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. :o By all means, everyone should do what works for them.

Nope, its not just you. I have a background as a graphic artist so I do it differently than everyone else, probably. I hit printscreen, then I paste it into Adobe Photoshop. Most probably don't have Adobe Photoshop on their computers. I then save it as a pdf.

I never even considered saving it as a word doc. So I guess I learned something new here today. :D

I have no idea if this is pertinent to this discussion or not, but my Oasis (inside cabin) went up in price $150 since this morning, when I first checked.

Kathy

Maybe you could cancel and rebook at the higher price. I'm sure Mr. Goldstein would be very appreciative.;):D

Then I guess you don't enjoy cruising as much as I do. I'd rather the cruise line stayed in business so I could enjoy my hobby.

Kathy

Just wopndering if you got around to that re-booking yet?;)

I posted pretty much the same answer. Looks like two different things.

Edit...Well after reading some more posts....I guess not.

If that is the case I have 2 that I was hoping to see a price drop on that I will be cancelling.

I've read that the NEW rules only apply to cruises booked AFTER 5/17/2010. If booked before that, the OLD rules apply, so keep monitoring! (I have 3 booked before 5/17)

I've read that the NEW rules only apply to cruises booked AFTER 5/17/2010. If booked before that, the OLD rules apply, so keep monitoring! (I have 3 booked before 5/17)

Yes, you are correct. I know its hard to follow the 34 pages of mess -- but the "new rules" are for cruises booked on and after May 17th -- back when this discussion began. ;)

The rest of our cruises are "grandfathered in" as I tested a couple of pages back with the RCI reps -- who at firsts tried to tell me that I couldn't get the price drop - but after I reminded them that it was a cruise booked before May 17th, they agreed and gave the price drop.

Yes, you are correct. I know its hard to follow the 34 pages of mess -- but the "new rules" are for cruises booked on and after May 17th -- back when this discussion began. ;)

The rest of our cruises are "grandfathered in" as I tested a couple of pages back with the RCI reps -- who at firsts tried to tell me that I couldn't get the price drop - but after I reminded them that it was a cruise booked before May 17th, they agreed and gave the price drop.

Tested it with Celebrity, worked brilliantly!

This happened to be something that stood out about RCCL for me and was one of the factors in deciding to choose RCCL as my loyal cruise line. I had tried NCL and wasn't pleased and they have NO guarantee. The only thing they will do is upgrade you to a higher category if the price on that higher category comes down. Big whoop.

I have one cruise booked prior to 5/17 (a holiday cruise that I got a great price on, so I'm guessing it won't come down) and I just booked an Alaskan cruise for next year. I'm guessing the price won't come down on that either (based on what prices are like this year).

I will probably reevaluate how I book Caribbean cruises. I live in Miami, so I can book relatively last minute.

It's all a gamble though....now I kind of feel like booking a cruise is like booking airline tickets. Prices fluctuate all the time and you're always unsure of when to book!

I guess you just have to find a price point YOU are comfortable with and not worry about whether it goes down or up. Don't even torture yourself checking prices after final payment date.

This happened to be something that stood out about RCCL for me and was one of the factors in deciding to choose RCCL as my loyal cruise line. I had tried NCL and wasn't pleased and they have NO guarantee. The only thing they will do is upgrade you to a higher category if the price on that higher category comes down. Big whoop.

I have one cruise booked prior to 5/17 (a holiday cruise that I got a great price on, so I'm guessing it won't come down) and I just booked an Alaskan cruise for next year. I'm guessing the price won't come down on that either (based on what prices are like this year).

I will probably reevaluate how I book Caribbean cruises. I live in Miami, so I can book relatively last minute.

It's all a gamble though....now I kind of feel like booking a cruise is like booking airline tickets. Prices fluctuate all the time and you're always unsure of when to book!

I guess you just have to find a price point YOU are comfortable with and not worry about whether it goes down or up. Don't even torture yourself checking prices after final payment date.

Being loyal is a thing of the past, are they being loyal to their outstanding long term clients? Not hardly, but they used to! The cruise line industry continues to notch away at the perks, they just keep taking away.

We used to be RCCL only, now we play around and are very satisfied...

I can't stan the "taking away" just give me the same and charge me more if you have to but don't charge the cabin next door more or less than what I got, it just creates bad blood IMHO!

Being loyal doesn't pay anymore, besides they all do different things well over the other guy, they all have their own nitch! It is better to play the field and if your not happy to one then move to another, change is good. :eek:WELL MOST CHANGE IS GOOD!:eek::rolleyes: That is the only way you can voice it is with your cash and it does make a difference...

Being loyal is a thing of the past, are they being loyal to their outstanding long term clients? Not hardly, but they used to! The cruise line industry continues to notch away at the perks, they just keep taking away.

We used to be RCCL only, now we play around and are very satisfied...

I can't stan the "taking away" just give me the same and charge me more if you have to but don't charge the cabin next door more or less than what I got, it just creates bad blood IMHO!

Being loyal doesn't pay anymore, besides they all do different things well over the other guy, they all have their own nitch! It is better to play the field and if your not happy to one then move to another, change is good. :eek:WELL MOST CHANGE IS GOOD!:eek::rolleyes: That is the only way you can voice it is with your cash and it does make a difference...

Wait until C&A makes its announcement on June 1st to form your final opinion about RCI.

Hopefully what we are going to see happen is that the first pricing is the lowest pricing. If not, there is also the cancellation theory. As long as the deposit stays refundable, than you have that option.

Wait until C&A makes its announcement on June 1st to form your final opinion about RCI.

Been there, done that many times down the road with them, they just keep dangling and then taking away, that is JMHO...

That is fine as I don't look to be loyal to any cruiseline unless they really step up to the plate! Maybe June 1st?;)? They just may surprise us as they have eaten their share of crow the past few years... My anticipation with June 1st is they will just open another can of worms, hopefully good worms.:D

I like to look it as we are loyal to all of them with zero expectations. That way how could you ever be disappointed and have a bad cruise, just doesn't happen to us, no such thing as a bad cruise!

We just enjoy them for what they are anymore, a great vacation to be with friends (old & new) and family... We never set high standards anymore, just enjoy it...

Archived