No more price drops for RC?

Patti, please tell me this isn't so!!!!! What are they going to take away next? I believe I am soooooooo glad to be going to Celebrity for a try. RCL is wanting to take every incentive you have away.

celebrity instituted the exact same policy today.

-after final payment date you are pretty much locked in to your price

Sounds like there is also the possibility of getting an upgrade if prices drop far enough. But, as far as the actual price you are locked.

As a newbie to cruising and Royal Caribbean I was excited about the "old" best price guarantee policy. I booked a few months ago and was lucky to receive a price reduction a few months later though it wasn't hundreds of dollars. As many have posted, I'm sure the cruiseline may have been suffering as a result of their old policy and had to change their plans to keep the business and cash flowing. It is disappointing to me but it won't keep me from sailing with them and as many have stated I will reserve at a price I am comfortable with and can afford which was the case with my booking earlier this year. I really didn't expect to receive a reduction at all.

I was just on the phone with my "personal" RC travel planner and she read word for word the policy - one is still allowed price drops up until the final payment (you can get the refund in the form of money back, OBC or room upgrade), after the final payment is made this is when the price guarantee comes into play - we have 48 hours to find a better price and after that the price we pay stands. In the past they would give you an OBC even if the price dropped after the final payment and basically they have taken this away. I hope this helps.

I just got off the phone with the TA booking desk.

Policy is:

Before final payment, either reduction in final price, OBC or upgrade if price drops.

After final payment, no OBC or reduction. Upgrade possible.

Any cruises booked prior to today are grandfathered into the old policy and will be able to get price drops/OBC up until 72 hours before sailing.

The "Best Price Guarantee" is if it occurs within 48 hours of booking and you can opt for an OBC equal to 110% of the difference.

So it looks like Royal is now in line with Carnival regarding price drops after final payment. Now we'll all have to wait and see if they decide to implement some sort of early saver type option like Carnival.

Thank you for posting this. No price drop after final payment is a bit disappointing, but that's an area where RCI has been excessively generous in the past, I think.

Now they need to re-write what's on their website. I do wish they would hire an English teacher to help them with their copy. And I also wish they would let their customer service reps know in advance when they're changing a policy.

I think that the 48 hour issue is really for those booking within penalty period. So if you book, pay in full because you're inside penalty, and then the next day they put out a residency or senior fare and you're eligible, you can get 110% of the difference as an OBC. I guess they see that as an incentive, especially since they are doing away with drops after final.

So for those of you who choose to wait until after final to book, at least you have a 48 hour window if they put out a lower fare to get something for it.

I also know many who have done well with Early Saver. I think you have to be totally sure you're going and that nothing will change (unless it's covered under travel insurance) and if that's the case, then you are guaranteed the lowest possible price.

I can't say I'm totally surprised with this move, as I'm sure it's a business decision. Time will tell how it impacts their bookings.

I was just on the phone with my "personal" RC travel planner and she read word for word the policy - one is still allowed price drops up until the final payment (you can get the refund in the form of money back, OBC or room upgrade), after the final payment is made this is when the price guarantee comes into play - we have 48 hours to find a better price and after that the price we pay stands. In the past they would give you an OBC even if the price dropped after the final payment and basically they have taken this away. I hope this helps.

Clearly if this is the case, there new policy needs better wording. It's very unclear to me at least....It should state you only have 48 hrs after final payment to receive the price reduction.

It took 5 pages of posts here to finally figure this thing out (hopefully). I can just imagine the confusion everyone else is experiencing right now.:rolleyes:

That seems to be the problem with RCI. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. They make changes without fully explaining things to their Customer Service Department or even letting them know what is going on and they could have done a much better job at explaining this on their website IF this indeed is the new policy.

Sounds like RCL will keep the price high until 60 days before the sailing. Any price drops needed to fill the ship will happen within that last 2 months. Basically eliminating giving out any price drops.

Guess it remains to be seen if they can really wait until the last 2 months to sell a slow moving cruise.

Clearly if this is the case, there new policy needs better wording. It's very unclear to me at least....It should state you only have 48 hrs after final payment to receive the price reduction

You hit the nail on the head!! Their website proofing team is the worse, don't even get me started about what their cancellation states when doing a booking.

You hit the nail on the head!! Their website proofing team is the worse, don't even get me started about what their cancellation states when doing a booking.

LOL! I have read those as well...I totally understand what you mean.

We all have Vicki Freed to thank for this one. Miss Carnival herself.

I agree with this statement. IMHO Carnival has the worst policies out there and it seems RCI/Celebrity/Azamara is now not far behind. Too bad.

BUT, since it is a business and all about the bottom line ... I guess the cruiselines have to find a way recoup all the money they lost in 2009 (along with the rest of the country).

I'll be interested to see how this plays out ... ever changing, that's for sure.

whatever ...

~d

For many years RCI, Celebrity and now Azamara has returned the difference on any price drop.

Any price drop before final payment was reflected in you adjusted final payment 100%

Any price drop after final payment was returned to you at 100% by way of OBC. But what made this OBC different is if not used on board you were credited for the unused portion via your credit card

Now the new announcement made by RCI, Celebrity and Azamara is you will receive a bonus of 10%. In other words your OBC will be 110% of the price drop. Any price drop in the last 2-days of the cruise (48 hours) does not count

I agree RCI needs someone who can read and write and speak the English language IF indeed the 48 hour policy does NOT preclude the previous policy of honoring price drops, and only changing that old policy to no drops after final payment. The statement on their website clearly seems ONLY to apply to a price drop in the 48 hours after booking.

Man I didn't think this would cause such a big issue but I'm kind of glad it did because I've gotten much better info than from the TA, who by the way I'm not going to be using :p.

ummm....wow....geesh...and me installing all that software to moniter all the price drops....bummer. I was looking forward to keeping an eye on it for the next year until we cruise. Wow.:(

Yeah I was too... Hopefully they will honor price drops up until final payment and that this new policy is just for the after final payment due date... If it is then I would feel much better... I'll still be booking my cruise tomorrow bright and early :D

I posted pretty much the same answer. Looks like two different things.

Edit...Well after reading some more posts....I guess not.

If that is the case I have 2 that I was hoping to see a price drop on that I will be cancelling.

I hope the "grandfathering" is true, 'cause otherwise I also have two that may be canceled without a price drop :(

That's exactly what I was thinking, otherwise, they would spend way too much time rebooking pax.

I suppose they'd rather have me cancel and "rebook" a similar itinerary with Princess? I can cancel and rebook with RCI to get a lower price, or I can just cancel and not go and they can try to sell that cheap cabin to someone else.

I just called C&A D+ desk and talked with Shirley who was very knowledgeable about the new program. When I asked her if she had received many calls about the new program I was told I was her first. I told her to be prepared.:D

This what she told me............any cruise booked prior to 5/17/2010 will be grandfathered in and eligible for any price reductions if they become available for your particular cruise.

I sure hope that's true because I have four cruises I'm monitoring for drops, two of which are quite pricey for a solo traveler at the moment.

For many years RCI, Celebrity and now Azamara has returned the difference on any price drop.

Any price drop before final payment was reflected in you adjusted final payment 100%

Any price drop after final payment was returned to you at 100% by way of OBC. But what made this OBC different is if not used on board you were credited for the unused portion via your credit card

Now the new announcement made by RCI, Celebrity and Azamara is you will receive a bonus of 10%. In other words your OBC will be 110% of the price drop. Any price drop in the last 2-days of the cruise (48 hours) does not count

I think that you might want to go and read it again.

You will have 48 hours after you reserve to find a lower price. If you do, you will receive 110% of the difference applied to your reservation as an onboard credit.

The key here is in red.

Ok, so we agree then. This really isn't a big change at all right? Maybe they are stopping the "up until 72 hours before sailing", but they will honor price reductions up until final. I don't see any reason to freak out just yet.

This is the way I'm taking it also. I think they will still honor price reductions up until final payment is due. And I'm not going to freak out yet either:eek: (I don't think);)

Sorry, but you did not understand the new policy correctly. The 48 hours applies to 48 hours after you book the cruise - not 48 hours before the ship sails.

Sounds like RCL will keep the price high until 60 days before the sailing. Any price drops needed to fill the ship will happen within that last 2 months. Basically eliminating giving out any price drops.

Bingo...that's is exactly what they are going to do!

I agree RCI needs someone who can read and write and speak the English language IF indeed the 48 hour policy does NOT preclude the previous policy of honoring price drops, and only changing that old policy to no drops after final payment. The statement on their website clearly seems ONLY to apply to a price drop in the 48 hours after booking.

Hi Kay...OT...but I need to ask questions about the GS on the Mariner..Could you email me. m linda 460 @ sbcglobal dot net. Thank you.

I think that you might want to go and read it again.

You will have 48 hours after you reserve to find a lower price. If you do, you will receive 110% of the difference applied to your reservation as an onboard credit.

The key here is in red.

I did read it again and agree with you.

It appears that this applies only if advertised price drops with 2-days AFTER booking

Have to read it more carefully

Archived