No more price drops for RC?

It seems the policy, as written, is very understandable. The question is, is this their actual intent? If they are saying they will honor price reductions up to the final payment is it because it is essentially the same as canceling and re-booking? If so then what happens if I book during the WOW sale and there is a price reduction. To cancel and re-book means I lose the $100.00 OBC plus I will have to pay the full deposit instead of the 50% reduced deposit I paid.

Overall I think this is a bad move. The knowledge that you had a certain degree of price protection (as long as you were diligent in checking) allowed one to book early. This is a plus for RC because the farther out they sell a ship the more certain their revenue for that sailing is (at least the fare portion).

Boy, I'm getting more confused as we go along here. I believe my question comes in the definition of the term "booking." Do you book the fare when you put your deposit down or when you pay in full? I always thought I was booking something when the deposit was placed.

A question came to my mind. What if you book the cheapest cabin -usually an Inside Q-and there is a balcony or an oceanview price drop. Do you think they'll let us upgrade?

I have seen oceanviews drop to less than an inside price; I've actually upgraded to a suite for less than the price I originally paid for an inside.

7 pages later and I still find this issue as clear as mud! Different RCI reps, different answers, different interpretations, jeez, I'm confused.

I just find this a bit sneaky, slipping it into the website the day before the WOW sale??

Boy, I'm getting more confused as we go along here. I believe my question comes in the definition of the term "booking." Do you book the fare when you put your deposit down or when you pay in full? I always thought I was booking something when the deposit was placed.

No need to define booking, it does no appear in the policy. It states 48 hours after you reserve. I think we can all agree this would be after you make your deposit.

A question came to my mind. What if you book the cheapest cabin -usually an Inside Q-and there is a balcony or an oceanview price drop. Do you think they'll let us upgrade?

I have seen oceanviews drop to less than an inside price; I've actually upgraded to a suite for less than the price I originally paid for an inside.

That's the way it works on Carnival, curious to see how RCI handles upgrades after final payment.

No need to define booking, it does no appear in the policy. It states 48 hours after you reserve. I think we can all agree this would be after you make your deposit.

Sorry - that's true. But how come so many people seem to be interpreting "reserve" as "final payment?" Or am I reading these posts wrong?

Anytime a new policy goes into effect, does C&A or customer service really understand it? Hardly.

I suspect that the 48 hour price guarantee is their way of hoping that if the price drops during that time, we will take the OBC since it's greater than the difference. I believe that after the 48 hours they will still do the price adjustment but not to the tune of 110%.

That's the way I see it. I wouldn't panic yet...no matter what anyone at C&A says. More often than not, they don't understand the new policies either.

Gina

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't have to be from inside to a suite.

What if you, say, book the cheapest balcony (still one you'd be happy with, sort of like booking a guarantee), then if the price drops after final payment will they let you upgrade to a higher level balcony or a jr. suite.:confused:

anytime a new policy goes into effect, does c&a or customer service really understand it? Hardly.

I suspect that the 48 hour price guarantee is their way of hoping that if the price drops during that time, we will take the obc since it's greater than the difference. I believe that after the 48 hours they will still do the price adjustment but not to the tune of 110%.

That's the way i see it. I wouldn't panic yet...no matter what anyone at c&a says. More often than not, they don't understand the new policies either.

Gina

amen!!

Anytime a new policy goes into effect, does C&A or customer service really understand it? Hardly.

I suspect that the 48 hour price guarantee is their way of hoping that if the price drops during that time, we will take the OBC since it's greater than the difference. I believe that after the 48 hours they will still do the price adjustment but not to the tune of 110%.

That's the way I see it. I wouldn't panic yet...no matter what anyone at C&A says. More often than not, they don't understand the new policies either.

Gina

So true, we'll just have to wait and see how they decide to act in actual practice. Although I believe the new policy, as written, is pretty clear cut and very restrictive in terms of applying any price reductions outside of the initial 48 hour reservation period.

Gina

I just got off the phone with customer service. According to the gentleman I spoke with, we can still receive price drops up until final payment. If the price drops after final payment, no adjustments will be made. The 48 hour thing only applies to bookings made after final payment. Not sure if this is true or not, but this is what I was told.

Funny thing was he sounded very confident when explaining it to me. I thanked him and said that I just wanted to be sure I understood the policy before booking tomorrow. I let him know that I was very confused by the wording on the website and he says to me "that's okay, I am a bit confused myself". What??!! Now I am even more perplexed! Is the policy he explained the correct one or not? Guess I will find out the first time I call them when the price drops on my cruise.

According to the C&A D+ reps I talked to, and they seemed to be reading the information from prepared statements, cruises booked prior to today, would still follow the old price guarantee program.

I.E. price reductions up to 72 hours before sailing. Off the balance before final payment, OBC if past final payment. No changes to that plan.

On the new price guarantee plan, within 48 hours of booking, lower priced, identical categories will be honored, with an additional 10% of the difference given as a balance reduction before final payment, or OBC inside final payment.

They said price drops before final payments, but greater than 48 hours from making the reservation, would be handled as follows.

1st the will offer an upgrade,

2nd they will offer OBC,

3rd they would honor the price drop.

After final payment, they would offer upgrades if higher category cabins were available for a lower price. But no further price reductions would be matched.

I was all set to book tomorrow. I had been looking at a particular cruise for awhile. But now I am seriously contemplating just waiting until next winter and booking close to cruise time. I can be somewhat flexible with dates and I don't need a cabin that is in short supply. If the price drops then great. If it goes up maybe I will just book a different ship with better pricing. Flexibility may be a new word for me to add to my vacation planning.

I understand why RCI may be doing this. But I think plenty of people may decide to book just the way that I am thinking about. That means RCI will not have my deposit money for the next 9 months and they have no idea that I am out hear thinking about booking the sailing. They are going to have far less of an idea as to how well a sailing will sell until the sail date gets much closer.

Keep changing your tactics RCI and I will change mine. Time will tell who will come out ahead. But as long as the option is there to cruise, or NOT, it is all good. Adaptation can be a wonderful thing.

That seems to be the problem with RCI. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. They make changes without fully explaining things to their Customer Service Department or even letting them know what is going on and they could have done a much better job at explaining this on their website IF this indeed is the new policy.

Gordon.........they should just read the thread on cruise critic:D

It seems like there are still several versions out there and as usual it depends on who you talk to as to which version you get. Time will tell.

First time somebody goes for a price drop will tell...........and I'm sure we will all know the results.

Gina

Gina I agree.........it will take customer service at least 60 days to understand it:rolleyes:.

There has to be in simple English a better way to transmit information to your customers........

My best guess... to quote a Shakespeare title...

"Much Ado About Nothing"

The 48 hour period refers to the 110% program, not price reductions in general.

After final payment, you will still receive OBC.

So what's the big deal?

WOW, a major bummer!!! We do have 2 cruises booked, both are popular repo's and hardly ever see rate drops, but will still continue to check every day!!

Question.....what happens if you find a lower rate and you decide to cancel to rebook. YOUR cabin, the one you really want gets taken in the few minutes it takes to do that?????? Your favorite aft cabin, hump cabin or the one and only JS, GS, OS available or whatever you had booked? Just a thought! :eek: :eek:

My best guess... to quote a Shakespeare title...

"Much Ado About Nothing"

The 48 hour period refers to the 110% program, not price reductions in general.

After final payment, you will still receive OBC.

So what's the big deal?

Cruises booked before today would still get OBC for price reductions up to 72 hours before sailing.

Cruises booked from today on DO NOT get OBC for price reductions, if the reduction in price comes after final payment due date.

WOW, a major bummer!!! We do have 2 cruises booked, both are popular repo's and hardly ever see rate drops, but will still continue to check every day!!

Question.....what happens if you find a lower rate and you decide to cancel to rebook. YOUR cabin, the one you really want gets taken in the few minutes it takes to do that?????? Your favorite aft cabin, hump cabin or the one and only JS, GS, OS available or whatever you had booked? Just a thought! :eek: :eek:

I guess you roll the dice. Sometimes 7, sometimes snake eyes.

Archived