No more price drops for RC?

I think its important to repeat that they are going to KILL their Next Cruise business.

Remember, the key here is that you would have to cancel and rebook the cruise to get a discount. If you have a Next Cruise, you have to keep the same booking number.

If you cancelled it to get the lower price, you would lose your Next Cruise OBC. :eek:

How do they think they are going to handle that one? Or didn't they work that into the equation yet?

What if you book before May 17th,2010?

Q: Which reservations are eligible for Royal Caribbean's Best Price Guarantee Program?

A: New individual reservations made as of May 17, 2010.

Rick

I think its important to repeat that they are going to KILL their Next Cruise business.

Remember, the key here is that you would have to cancel and rebook the cruise to get a discount. If you have a Next Cruise, you have to keep the same booking number.

If you cancelled it to get the lower price, you would lose your Next Cruise OBC. :eek:

How do they think they are going to handle that one? Or didn't they work that into the equation yet?

That was the first thing I thought when I read about cancelling and rebooking. I also wonder how this would work for people who made an onboard booking.

It would make more sense for them to just adjust the price. Just imagine the extra work that will be involved with having to cancel and rebook each time there is a price drop :eek:

Has anyone heard how this will affect a residency discount? Is that also going to involve having to cancel and then rebook?

With all of this confusion - the WOW sale could be a DUD sale and later there might be a statement like: "Because of the tremendous response to our WOW sale, it will be held over for another week.....trust us!!! Professor Erwin Corey will be available to answer any of your questions if it is answers that you are looking for or not on the policy to which you had problems understanding but not confused by the language of the second part of part one sub-section D.

It appears that this new policy is even confusing to the C&A employees. I have just spoken to 2 different C&A Employees.

This is what I was told:

Any cruises booked before today (5-17-2010) are not subject to the new rules. If you have a cruise booked prior to today and the price drops, either before or after final payment, the price drop will be honored.

Cruises booked after today: If you book a cruise and the price goes down BEFORE final payment the price drop WILL be honored. However, if the price dropped after final payment, you will no longer get the price reduction.

Thie 48 hour thing: 1) If you book a cruise that is in the final payment timeframe and the price dropped you do not get the price reduction. 2) If you book a cruise and the price goes down within 48 hours of booking you can fill out the form and get the reduction plus 10%.

I hope my explanation helps.

Ding/ Ding/ Ding.......ladies and gentleman we have a winner......this is exactly how this will work !!! I was going to spell this out, but that is correct, so now I don't have to ! (the only thing I haven't got 100% clarification on myself is about being grandfathered if you are already booked...that sounds about right , but still waiting to be sure on that one)

With all of this confusion - the WOW sale could be a DUD sale and later there might be a statement like: "Because of the tremendous response to our WOW sale, it will be held over for another week.....trust us!!! Professor Erwin Corey will be available to answer any of your questions if it is answers that you are looking for or not on the policy to which you had problems understanding but not confused by the language of the second part of part one sub-section D.

And the WOW sale -- to get a price drop you would have to CANCEL AND REBOOK -- once again, losing your OBC from the WOW sale. So they are giving people no reason to book the WOW sale.

Someone tell me I am overthinking this! :eek:

And the WOW sale -- to get a price drop you would have to CANCEL AND REBOOK -- once again, losing your OBC from the WOW sale. So they are giving people no reason to book the WOW sale.

No, I don't think you are overthinking anything. It may be the RCI execs that devised this scheme that may be guilty of overthinking things.

I contacted my TA, and was advised that to get the lower price on a cruise already booked, you would in fact need to cancel, and then re-book to get the lower price.

The way I look at it, I have 4 cruises on the books now. After those are taken, I'll be waiting to book any other cruises till the 30 to 45 day out mark. Price over cabin selection as one previous post mentioned. If the cabin I want isn't available, I may be forced to look elsewhere for my vacation.

Will it help RCI stabilize the price ? I'm not so sure. I doubt it will help their advanced booking rate.

This is such bad news. We always book a year and a half in advance and now there is no reason to do so. I always felt comfortable knowing that if the price would fall i can have it adjusted but with this new rule there is no reason to rush.

Okay, this is the transcript of my live chat:

CaraRCCL [21:49]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Michele[21:49]: I understand that there is a new 110% price protection in place for 48 hours after booking a cruise; however, I would like to know if Royal Caribbean will honor a price reduction if the price decreases after this 48 hour window.

CaraRCCL [21:49]: Unfortunately, no we will not.

[21:50]: YOu will have an option to upgrade.

Michele[21:50]: So, if I book during your WOW sale and the price decreases by $100 per passenger sometime in the future (let's say in July), then I will lose out on the lower price?

CaraRCCL [21:51]: That is correct. However, you may use the difference to upgrade to a higher category.

Michele [21:51]: What will prevent me from cancelling the first reservation and rebooking for the better price?

CaraRCCL [21:53]: Depending on when you cancel, you may be in cancellation charge phase.

Michele [21:54]: Yes, I understand the penalty phase, but this new policy seems to create more work for Royal Caribbean while causing frustration to your loyal customers. For many of us, there will not be an incentive to "book early" as so many times the prices do decrease.

CaraRCCL [21:54]: I understand, but the policy was decided because it was the best thing for the company as well as being an industry standard.

No I don't think you are overthinking this. If you have an OBC and you are eligible for a price reduction and you are before final payment you will need the to decide between the OBC or the price reduction.

How is that for incentive to book during a wow sale or on board? Answer: It isn't.

CaraRCCL [21:49]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Michele[21:49]: I understand that there is a new 110% price protection in place for 48 hours after booking a cruise; however, I would like to know if Royal Caribbean will honor a price reduction if the price decreases after this 48 hour window.

CaraRCCL [21:49]: Unfortunately, no we will not.

[21:50]: YOu will have an option to upgrade.

Michele[21:50]: So, if I book during your WOW sale and the price decreases by $100 per passenger sometime in the future (let's say in July), then I will lose out on the lower price?

CaraRCCL [21:51]: That is correct. However, you may use the difference to upgrade to a higher category.

Michele [21:51]: What will prevent me from cancelling the first reservation and rebooking for the better price?

CaraRCCL [21:53]: Depending on when you cancel, you may be in cancellation charge phase.

Michele [21:54]: Yes, I understand the penalty phase, but this new policy seems to create more work for Royal Caribbean while causing frustration to your loyal customers. For many of us, there will not be an incentive to "book early" as so many times the prices do decrease.

CaraRCCL [21:54]: I understand, but the policy was decided because it was the best thing for the company as well as being an industry standard.

That industry standard is not entirely correct, I know that CCL honors all price drops up to final payment (unless they have something new with their policies).

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

An industry standard????? What?

What kind of BS line is THAT!

Holy Moly I think we've hit a new level of low. :rolleyes:

Do any of you have the link to the policy that if you were booked before today, that you are grandfathered in and price protected??

Id like to print it out and save it ...just in case.

fire

Look at this thread, post #35 someone was already kind enough to post it.

That industry standard is not entirely correct, I know that CCL honors all price drops up to final payment (unless they have something new with their policies).

:eek::eek::eek:

LOL - I thought that was a line of BS, but I don't know the "industry standards" for each of the main stream cruiselines so I couldn't comment too much on this one. Oh well! From reading their written policy, it does seem as though they will honor the price drop as long as it is before final payment; however, the CSR are spilling different information. It should be interesting to see in the days and months ahead what the reality is for all of us. In the meantime, I AM booking Allure tomorrow!!! I will NOT let this get me down. ;) :D

No I don't think you are overthinking this. If you have an OBC and you are eligible for a price reduction and you are before final payment you will need the to decide between the OBC or the price reduction.

How is that for incentive to book during a wow sale or on board? Answer: It isn't.

IMO, it still makes sense to book during the WOW sale May 18-19. It gives you a price option with OBC.

You're protected if prices go up. If prices go down (on the reserved RC cruise, another RC cruise, or a cruise with another line) you simply cancel.

I realize there is way less upside then there was yesterday. But where's the downside to booking tomorrow? My plan is to book.

I have contacted C&A by phone and was told that price drops would be honored up to the final payment date. Since so many seem to be getting different answers, I decided to also try someone else. This is my chat transcript:

KristenRCCL [20:44]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Jamie Thompson [20:44]: If I was to book a cruise with the WOW sale tomorrow, am I still eligible for price drops if the prices goes down between now and the final payment date?

KristenRCCL [20:46]: Thank you for contacting us. That all depends on the sailing you pick. If the price drops before your final payment date, you can either look at an upgrade to your stateroom, get onboard credit in the price difference, or drop the price. If the price drops after the final payment date, you can either upgrade your cabin or the price stays the same essentially.

[20:46]: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

I am not sure what she meant by 'that all depends on the sailing you pick' but both people I spoke with agreed that price drops were honored up to final payment and after that only upgrades are possible.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have read the entire thread.......and here is what I have come up with.

Michele........and many others of us that are TA's, and work for large independent agencies........normally have "group" discounts.....and therefore it is not the same pricing that RCCL gives out to anyone not in a "group".

RCL's new program may truly help TA's, especially ones from larger companies........where........I for one, have discounts on almost every cruise, because of group discounts.

And please don't hit me up..........my agency caters to a small segment of cruisers, and I'm not allowed to advertise.

So, the 48 hours allows someone to go shopping.......and if the find the right TA.........they will find a lower price.........on group discount pricing.

There are 12 pages here...........and I'm amazed that no one has brought this up before.

The 48 hours is a load of BS. However......the VP of marketing.....is the ex marketing guru, supposidly.......of CCL.

Let's watch for more of the CCL brought into the RCL line.

Too bad that the CEO of RCCL has not yet been replaced!:eek:

Rick

Um, so am I, look at page 9 of this thread for the letter. That's the notice that was sent out to TAs. And I received it not once, but twice. About 10 minutes apart from each other. Maybe I got your husband's copy? ;)

I think you may have gotten the ONLY copy.:rolleyes:

...disclaimer at the bottom of the statement released by the RCI DSMs today...

*For cruises within penalty periods only. For cruises outside of penalty, Travel Agents or Guests may cancel and rebook at the lower rate if all qualifications of the new fare are met. Lower rates must be fares available to the general public that are publicly advertised by Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International.

Why should you even have to cancel and rebook. It saves everyone a lot of work to just call and get the price reduction.

That was the first thing I thought when I read about cancelling and rebooking. I also wonder how this would work for people who made an onboard booking.

It would make more sense for them to just adjust the price. Just imagine the extra work that will be involved with having to cancel and rebook each time there is a price drop

Has anyone heard how this will affect a residency discount? Is that also going to involve having to cancel and then rebook?

THIS IS STUPID AND RCI IS BITING OFF THEIR OWN NETHER REGION IF THEY REQUIRE YOU TO CANCEL AND REBOOK!!!! SOME CRUISES WILL JUST NOT BE WORTH BOOKING EARLY. (imho)

Within weeks of sailing on our first RCCL cruise, we booked 3 more cruises with them for 6, 11 and 23 months out!!!

We had senior discount or price drops on the first 3 cruises. The 4th cruise was very over priced but we wanted that deck 7 corner aft and figured the price had to drop. We did not see a drop until 16 months out when our E1 dropped $1100. Then C&A kicked in with a $125 coupon. SWEET! While we unfortunately had to cancel that last one right before final payment, RCCL did have use of our deposit for all those months.

We have one cruise booked for November (great if price drop grandfathered in but already got senior discount on it) but we were looking at 2011 and 2012 cruises for the WOW sale. NOT ANY LONGER!!!

DO YOU HAVE TO CANCEL & REBOOK TO GET RESIDENCY?? SENIOR?? IS THERE ANYTHING IN BLACK & WHITE THAT STATES THEY WILL PERMIT THIS??

IF YOU CANCEL AND REBOOK TO GET A PRICE DROP DO YOU LOSE NCC?? OBC?? C&A COUPONS?? AND HOW ABOUT VISA ROYAL REWARDS OBC, UPGRADES OR COMPANION FARE?? ONCE THESE THINGS HAVE BEEN APPLIED TO A CRUISE, IF YOU CANCEL AND REBOOK, DON'T YOU LOSE THEM??

Glad we live in Florida - maybe we can snag some of those after final price drops. But we may have to say goodbye to our favorite cabin location.

WE ARE NOT HAPPY. :(:(:(

No, I don't think you are overthinking anything. It may be the RCI execs that devised this scheme that may be guilty of overthinking things.

I contacted my TA, and was advised that to get the lower price on a cruise already booked, you would in fact need to cancel, and then re-book to get the lower price.

The way I look at it, I have 4 cruises on the books now. After those are taken, I'll be waiting to book any other cruises till the 30 to 45 day out mark. Price over cabin selection as one previous post mentioned. If the cabin I want isn't available, I may be forced to look elsewhere for my vacation.

Will it help RCI stabilize the price ? I'm not so sure. I doubt it will help their advanced booking rate.

I believe there is still a LOT of confusion on this - especially at RCI. I called 3 different times (to C&A desk, to TA desk, and regular reservation line) and I got 3 different answers. I am not putting stock in any one answer until they (RCI) get their act together on it. I would hope they issue something, and soon, to clarify exactly how this will impact everyone concerned, and clarify how it impacts those "granfathered" versus new bookings.

Terry

Good morning all............as they said in Gone with the Wind........Tomorrow is another day!:)

You know in the end........Royal Caribbean has the absolute right to determine and develop any policy they want as a business. While I think this new policy is the most under thought policy they have come up with to date, they have the right to try and develop new industry standards.

I'm just amazed at the number who continue to think they can do no wrong and stand by them at any cost......

We all did this once over the last 20 years as we now accept as standard airline bag charges, smaller seats, $10 sandwiches etc in the airline industry......

It will be interesting to see where this ultimately ends.........I have been wrong before.........but be careful what you CHEER for.......you may be asking yourself in a few years............now tell me again how we got here?:)

Archived