Elite 'Cocktail Hour' How is it working out?

cinnamon

Why do so many of you have a problem with late diners wanting something closer to their dinner time. I too have filled out the survey and asked the same question and suggested a 5pm to 7pm time for the happy hour, and I'll continue to do so. Why would anyone disagree with this?

How about because the early diners would only have one hour to enjoy the venue and late diners would have two. Early dining begins at 6. We never have early dining but I think it's only fair that each group have the opportunity to enjoy the full 2 hours if they please. Late seating is at 8:30 so if it ended at 7 it's still and hour and a half until dinner.

They also have dress codes for the Captain's Club Celebration Event and the Senior Officer's Cocktail parties. When they are held in the morning or afternoon - they are never followed. I don't see them asking anyone to leave who's not following the dress code.

Totally inconsistency within the cruise line.

We were on the Infinity Panama Canal Reunion cruise last month (April, 2010). We went to the CC events and Senior Officer parties that were held early in the day. There were no shorts, beach wear, or flip flops. People followed the dress code. They announced there was a dress code as we were about to come into the room.

Was this before they moved it to the sky lounge? We had no problems at all in Jan or April.:D

On our cruise in February, it was always in Michael's Club, regardless of how crowded they knew it was.

I haven't read any reports of how the new Cocktail Hour is working for Elite members of the Captains Club. Anyone have experience?

To try to summarize:

• Some of us think it is the best perk on the seven seas.
  • Some think that the time is not perfect nor flexible for those on second seating
  • Some think that the choice of drink selection is not to their taste.
  • some think that the smart casual dress code is great
  • some think that there should not be any dress code.

As in all discussions of any topic on Cruise Critic, all the people who agree with their point of view are brilliant, those with contrary viewpoints are blithering idiots or savage beasts out for blood. ;)

BrutalattacksculpureGalaxyHerculane.jpg

To try to summarize:

• Some of us think it is the best perk on the seven seas.
  • Some think that the time is not perfect nor flexible for those on second seating
  • Some think that the choice of drink selection is not to their taste.
  • some think that the smart casual dress code is great
  • some think that there should not be any dress code.

As in all discussions of any topic on Cruise Critic, all the people who agree with their point of view are brilliant, those with contrary viewpoints are blithering idiots or savage beasts out for blood. ;)

BrutalattacksculpureGalaxyHerculane.jpg

What an excellent summary, appropo for someone with your name!!!

Why do so many of you have a problem with late diners wanting something closer to their dinner time. I too have filled out the survey and asked the same question and suggested a 5pm to 7pm time for the happy hour, and I'll continue to do so. Why would anyone disagree with this?

Just a few posts down, I asked if those that keep proposing slipping the Happy Hr to a later time if they are aware this means the Early Diners lose time in the Lounge. And Ma Bell has posted more than a few times that these proposals adversely impact early dining for the convenience of some of the late diners. Are you aware if your suggestion is followed, early diners would only have 1hr in the Lounge. So I assume you didn't know you are proposing a time that although makes it convenient for you, it reduces early diners to 1hr. Now do you understand why most everyone disagrees with you? And are you really going to continue to put that on your suveys even after now being explained why that is not acceptable for early and most late diners? Its basic fairness.

Denny

How about because the early diners would only have one hour to enjoy the venue and late diners would have two. Early dining begins at 6. We never have early dining but I think it's only fair that each group have the opportunity to enjoy the full 2 hours if they please. Late seating is at 8:30 so if it ended at 7 it's still and hour and a half until dinner.

Just a few posts down, I asked if those that keep proposing slipping the Happy Hr to a later time if they are aware this means the Early Diners lose time in the Lounge. And Ma Bell has posted more than a few times that these proposals adversely impact early dining for the convenience of some of the late diners. Are you aware if your suggestion is followed, early diners would only have 1hr in the Lounge. So I assume you didn't know you are proposing a time that although makes it convenient for you, it reduces early diners to 1hr. Now do you understand why most everyone disagrees with you? And are you really going to continue to put that on your suveys even after now being explained why that is not acceptable for early and most late diners? Its basic fairness.

Denny

How about who needs to be drinking for 2 hours before dinner? My assumption was that early dinner would go from 5-6 and late 6-7.

Okay, I will now suggest on my upcoming Summit cruise, limit the happy hour for each seating to 1 hour before early and late dining, sounds like the perfect solution. Who the heck needs 2 hours of pre-dinner boozing.

I think it's not that too many people will spend the whole two hours drinking it's just that they have a two hour window of opportunity to meet and enjoy the company of other CC members. They may only pop in for a half hour. If your suggestion was implemented you wouldn't have the opportunity to meet and enjoy the company of fellow Elite members from the other dinner seating. That would be a shame.

I think it's not that too many people will spend the whole two hours drinking it's just that they have a two hour window of opportunity to meet and enjoy the company of other CC members. They may only pop in for a half hour. If your suggestion was implemented you wouldn't have the opportunity to meet and enjoy the company of fellow Elite members from the other dinner seating. That would be a shame.

Oh, yes they do. This is why it is sometimes difficult to find a seat at Michael's Club. People have set up camp/court/private parties for the long haul and stay for the complete 2 hour slot.

Oh, yes they do. This is why it is sometimes difficult to find a seat at Michael's Club. People have set up camp/court/private parties for the long haul and stay for the complete 2 hour slot.
On our last cruise we met 2 other couples that had been on the Solstice with us in Jan. We met them along with 2 other new couples each happy hour, talked , drank, had a ball for the 2 hours before dinner.We were in the sky lounge so there was lots of room. None of us drank too much but enjoyed the drinks and the company.Thanks for reminding me.

We also enjoyed the full two hours on Century. Spent time with about 4 other couples we didn't know before going for the cocktails the first night available. We all went our seperate ways during the day and night, but, enjoyed each others company for those two hours.

I have no idea how much time we spend in the Elite lounge - we get ready, got on down and enjoy. Sometimes we spend half hr, sometimes we spend longer than that. I know I don't stand there knocking them down for 2hrs, but we may very well 'stand there' talking and socializing for 2hrs. Who knows and who cares.

I realize those proposing a sldie in time have legit wishes - you want free drinks closer to your dining times. But moving it to 5-7pm will mean there will be a similar group that want it to 8pm, just like the Early diners have it right up to their dining time. And of course, you may say that this gives the early diners 1 hr (5pm-6pm), and the late diners 1 hr (6-7pm), but almost everybody will see this as 1hr for early dining and 2hrs for late dining. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the reaction of that 'fair' proposal.

Myself, no matter who 'bothered' I am about when the happy hr is, it all goes away when I step into this free benefit: get a free drink in my hand, munch on a few free goodies, and talk to a lot of very interesting people, who talk to me 'free'.

I really don't focus that much on the drinks (I also lie a lot), but am there to meet new people and continue new friendships.

Denny

I have no idea how much time we spend in the Elite lounge - we get ready, got on down and enjoy. Sometimes we spend half hr, sometimes we spend longer than that. I know I don't stand there knocking them down for 2hrs, but we may very well 'stand there' talking and socializing for 2hrs. Who knows and who cares.

I realize those proposing a sldie in time have legit wishes - you want free drinks closer to your dining times. But moving it to 5-7pm will mean there will be a similar group that want it to 8pm, just like the Early diners have it right up to their dining time. And of course, you may say that this gives the early diners 1 hr (5pm-6pm), and the late diners 1 hr (6-7pm), but almost everybody will see this as 1hr for early dining and 2hrs for late dining. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the reaction of that 'fair' proposal.

Myself, no matter who 'bothered' I am about when the happy hr is, it all goes away when I step into this free benefit: get a free drink in my hand, munch on a few free goodies, and talk to a lot of very interesting people, who talk to me 'free'.

I really don't focus that much on the drinks (I also lie a lot), but am there to meet new people and continue new friendships.

Denny

Obviously, Celebrity should care and be more attentive to the fact that there is not enough seating for their guests.

Has anyone ever had to actually stand and drink due to lack of space during the Elite Happy Hour?

We have seen people dragging in their own chairs from locations in order to sit.

Makes me question if there is any kind of regulations as to how many people can be stuffed into a room?

This is starting to remind me of siblings arguing over which TV show they want to watch. Sooner or later Mom and Dad will just unplug the TV....Hope that doesn't happen.... Opinions are one thing and welcome, complaining is another. I realize there is a a very fine line. Just hope we don't cross it.

This is starting to remind me of siblings arguing over which TV show they want to watch. Sooner or later Mom and Dad will just unplug the TV....Hope that doesn't happen.... Opinions are one thing and welcome, complaining is another. I realize there is a a very fine line. Just hope we don't cross it.
Amen, it goes back to the old quote about looking a gift horse in the mouth.Why can't people just say thank you and appreciate the perks instead of complaining?

Obviously, Celebrity should care and be more attentive to the fact that there is not enough seating for their guests.

Has anyone ever had to actually stand and drink due to lack of space during the Elite Happy Hour?

We have seen people dragging in their own chairs from locations in order to sit.

Makes me question if there is any kind of regulations as to how many people can be stuffed into a room?

During our Med cruise in September the event was never crowded. I am very surprised to hear that people had to drag in chairs from another location on your cruise. I understood that Celebrity changes the location based on the number of Elite members on board. I suspect that it is rare to be overcrowded. I am confident that Celebrity will adjust as required.

The bottom line for us is that it was a great benefit that we really enjoyed and we had late seating. Changing into long pants was never an issue for me. The time that it took was worthwhile for me. Although I will admit that I enjoyed the all inclusive aspect of the Xpedition Celebrity cruise which was more casual. No need to change after coming back from our excursion/hikes.

RCCL's Diamond members get a three hour social from 5:00 to 8:00. We are

traditionally early diners, and never felt cheated by having only one hour in the lounge before dining. Our Diamond status is reciprocated as Elite on X, but I suspect we will still only be in the lounge for an hour. Two hours of preprandial indulgence is a bit much.

Three weeks ago on the Radiance it went to 8:30 - the late dinning time. There were plenty of early folks who came for an after dinner glass of wine - -it was terrific

No, we didn't complain that we weren't able to come after dinner also ;)

We also didn't come at 5:00 in our shorts -- we're barely up from our afternoon nap at that time. We couldn't do late seating without a nap -- at home we're in bed well before 9:00 :)

Is the issue of the perk "time, free drinks, space, companionship of other Elite members?" If it is time, how 'bout having the "time" be from 4:30-7:30pm in any lounge aboard ship. The sea pass has the member status on it so billing should not be a problem, it would spread the members out so some might not have to stand to drink or talk. If the issue is free drinks then time/space should not matter as the drinks are the primary factor and arrangements can be made to join with friends. If space is the issue perhaps a longer time would provide some relief. If companionship is the issue, then buy each other a round in a spirit of hospitality instead of expecting to have it all!

To answer the OP question....the Elite Lounge is a great perk, and reward for Loyal Celebrity cruisers. I really can't figure out why people expect more.

The two hour time slot for the evening is good for everyone, IMO.

We sign up for the early dining time but on many nights we dine elsewhere at a later time, (Specialty, Alternative, etc.) and have no trouble arriving at the Elite Lounge at 5:00 in time for a pre dinner cocktail. We have seen many people that have 2nd seating, arrive at 5:50, in time for a drink order.

This perk, and the other Elite perks keep us coming back to Celebrity.

In our case, we now just cruise for the Ship, and not so much itinerary.

Thanks Celebrity for providing this, and rewarding loyal cruisers.

Is the issue of the perk "time, free drinks, space, companionship of other Elite members?" If it is time, how 'bout having the "time" be from 4:30-7:30pm in any lounge aboard ship. The sea pass has the member status on it so billing should not be a problem, it would spread the members out so some might not have to stand to drink or talk. If the issue is free drinks then time/space should not matter as the drinks are the primary factor and arrangements can be made to join with friends. If space is the issue perhaps a longer time would provide some relief. If companionship is the issue, then buy each other a round in a spirit of hospitality instead of expecting to have it all!
It aint broke so don't try to fix it!!!!!!!

We just got back from a Panama Canal cruise on the Mercury, and the cocktail hour was so popular/crowded that they moved it from Michael's Club to the ... darn, forgot the name of the lounge. One of the big ones anyway. After that it worked great. A terrific perk for Celebrity faithfuls with Elite status. If you just have a couple of drinks a night, it saves you a fortune on a long cruise. What's not to like?

Archived