Elite 'Cocktail Hour' How is it working out?

cinnamon

The bar servers working the Social Hour have all been tremendous. Celebrity has put together a great team to keep elites happy. :D

And we need to show our apprecation. They get a few bucks for working the elite lounge, but always nice to show our appreciation with 'thank-you's' and a nice tip, as you see fit.

Denny

We love the Elite Perks. Experienced them last year on our Solstice Eastern Med. cruise. We really felt valued by Celebrity. Those perks were a major factor in selecting the Eclipse for this September's Spanish Med Cruise, and the Eclipse again for the Scandinavian-Russia cruise next year.

We didn't even consider any other cruise line for these upcoming cruises. I also hope Celebrity is reading this thread and getting our messages.

Dave

What sort of drinks are available? Is is mostly spirits (liquor) with mixers as in the old days on RCCL? Or can you order more frou frou cocktails such as Pina Collada? I assume wine and beer are also included.

What sort of drinks are available? Is is mostly spirits (liquor) with mixers as in the old days on RCCL? Or can you order more frou frou cocktails such as Pina Collada? I assume wine and beer are also included.

Accesscard.jpg

Accesscard.jpg

That's probably the drink menu in Michael's, but on our Solstice TA, there were so many Elites on board that they held it in the Sky Lounge. I recall people ordering a variety of drinks with no questions asked.

When we ordered our first drinks, we gave the server a $5. We never had an empty glass and always got "last call." It was a small price to pay for a few Heinekens and a couple of Cosmos.

Accesscard.jpg

That's probably the drink menu in Michael's, but on our Solstice TA, there were so many Elites on board that they held it in the Sky Lounge. I recall people ordering a variety of drinks with no questions asked.

When we ordered our first drinks, we gave the server a $5. We never had an empty glass and always got "last call." It was a small price to pay for a few Heinekens and a couple of Cosmos.

We recently returned from the Equinox Eastbound Transatlantic, where 'happy hour' was also held in the Sky Lounge due to the large number of Elites aboard. The menu above was also used in this venue.

Although the 4pm-6pm timeframe kept us away most days, we did enjoy the experience very much and would like to publically thank Celebrity for offering such a nice Elite Captain's Club perk. We went I believe 3 afternoons out of 14, and just once for breakfast. On a westbound Transatlantic, I'm sure we would take advantage of the breakfast much more often than we did sailing Eastbound!

The new elite benefits have had the desired effect on us. We no longer look at the promotions from Princess, HAL, and Oceania. The new elite benefits make Celebrity and Azamara a much better value for us. We currently have cruises booked on both lines.

I agree with vi1234. I don't even look at other cruise lines now since I finally became elite. But we were able to order a lot of drinks that aren't on the list -- e.g., seabreeze, long island iced tea, lemon drop martinis. No frozen drinks, which is okay. DH had gin and tonics -- can't remember if that's on that menu or not.

I thought the time wouldn't work for us, but since we became such good friends with the people we'd met on CC before -- who turned out to be elite, too -- we'd go play Bingo at 4, then head to happy "hours" about 4:40. I'd sometimes go get a shower so I'd be ready at 6 to meet our other friends who weren't elite to catch up before the 7:00 show. Our non-bingo-playing elite friends were there from 4-6. It was one of the highlights of our trip -- and I even had the unlimited frozen drink package but enjoyed the happy hours!

Sorry, but we've taken two Celebrity cruises since the new Michael's Club benefits and have not enjoyed them as we have had late seating. Cocktails from 4 to 6 don't work for us and have made out feelings known on the survey cards at the end of both cruises

The other perks we've used and love, too bad Celebrity can't offer a get together for late diners.

I'm just being honest and obviously others don't agree. I'm not having drinks hours before dinner.

Goodie for the Elite among you. Last year we so enjoyed being able to use the Cosmos lounge on Infinity for pre-dinner drinks. This year, with the early seating we could not do so unless we wanted to join the "smokers" section. Being only a classic member of the Captain's Club and being banned from the facilities of the ship is very, very disconcerting. Since I am not an "Elitest" member, who is allergic to smoke, it certainly doesn't make me look forward to sailing on Celebrity again soon. I figured my money was as good as anyone's aboard ship (thought I paid plenty to have full ship access), but it didn't work out that way. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but we've taken two Celebrity cruises since the new Michael's Club benefits and have not enjoyed them as we have had late seating. Cocktails from 4 to 6 doesn't work for us and have made out feelings known on the survey cards at the end of both cruises

The other perks we've used and love, too bad Celebrity can't offer a get together for late diners.

I'm just being honest and obviously others don't agree. I'm not having drinks hours before dinner.

You don't have to apologize for your opinion as this is a public forum where everyone comes together to exchange their unique thoughts and experiences.

We're late diners, too, and utilized the happy hour a few afternoons as more of a relaxing change of pace as opposed to a pre-dinner cocktail. For example, after walking all over Lisbon on a warm day, a cold beer really hit the spot up in the Sky Lounge during Elite Happy Hour as we sailed away. Had the venue not been private for Elites, it would have been packed as it was the best place in the house to view sailaway from the interior of the ship. Enjoying a cold, complimentary beer while we cooled off was the icing on the cake!

Goodie for the Elite among you. Last year we so enjoyed being able to use the Cosmos lounge on Infinity for pre-dinner drinks. This year, with the early seating we could not do so unless we wanted to join the "smokers" section. Being only a classic member of the Captain's Club and being banned from the facilities of the ship is very, very disconcerting. Since I am not an "Elitest" member, who is allergic to smoke, it certainly doesn't make me look forward to sailing on Celebrity again soon. I figured my money was as good as anyone's aboard ship (thought I paid plenty to have full ship access), but it didn't work out that way. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I have no problem with a cruise line, airline, hotels......... giving perks to their most loyal, it's part of out culture. My only gripe is timing, not perks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Please enjoy this wonderful, resourceful website and all it has to offer, and continue to post about your cruise experiences.

I am curious as to your opinion about cruise lines such as Cunard and Holland America who have lounges that are exclusive to suite passengers at all hours (not just 4pm to 6pm). Also, your thoughts on airline lounges in airports where only the highest level members of their frequent flier programs are allowed inside.

You don't have to apologize for your opinion as this is a public forum where everyone comes together to exchange their unique thoughts and experiences.

We're late diners, too, and utilized the happy hour a few afternoons as more of a relaxing change of pace as opposed to a pre-dinner cocktail. For example, after walking all over Lisbon on a warm day, a cold beer really hit the spot up in the Sky Lounge during Elite Happy Hour as we sailed away. Had the venue not been private for Elites, it would have been packed as it was the best place in the house to view sailaway from the interior of the ship. Enjoying a cold, complimentary beer while we cooled off was the icing on the cake!

Can't disagree with that, but I'd be apt to enjoy that cold beer from my balcony.

As I recall there are two sides to the drink menu for the Captain's Club Elite Happy Hour.

Xellent has posted the options from one side. On the other side were the cocktails: Cosmopolitan, Screwdriver, Cuba Libre, Dirty Martini, Classic Martini, Michelangelo, Mimosa and Kir Royale.

Did I miss any???

As this thread slowly becomes another ‘it isn’t fair for Late Diners’, please don’t pretend you are suggesting a change that is ‘fair’ to both Early and Late Diners. The suggestions are almost 100% to move the Happy Hr later for the convenience of Late Diners and to the detriment of Earl Diners. Look at the suggestions: move it to 5-7pm - 2hrs for Late Diners 1.5hrs for Early Diners, or my favorite ‘fair’ suggestion: move it to 6-8pm - 2hrs for Late Diners, a half hr for Early Diners. That was actually suggested by someone on a similar thread and presented as ‘fair’. I’m not saying you can’t make your suggestions to move the hrs to what makes you happy, but quit with pretending you want to make it ‘fair’. All you want is to make it more convenient for yourself and to heck with anyone else.

And by the way, I’ve dined Late and did just fine with the current hrs. If I wanted a drink closer to my dining time, I went to a lounge and bought one just as I’d done for the many years before the Happy Hr was started. Most Elite (Early and Late Diners) understand the mechanizations of why the hrs are 4-6pm and do just fine with it.

Denny

As this thread slowly becomes another ‘it isn’t fair for Late Diners’, please don’t pretend you are suggesting a change that is ‘fair’ to both Early and Late Diners. The suggestions are almost 100% to move the Happy Hr later for the convenience of Late Diners and to the detriment of Earl Diners. Look at the suggestions: move it to 5-7pm - 2hrs for Late Diners 1.5hrs for Early Diners, or my favorite ‘fair’ suggestion: move it to 6-8pm - 2hrs for Late Diners, a half hr for Early Diners. That was actually suggested by someone on a similar thread and presented as ‘fair’. I’m not saying you can’t make your suggestions to move the hrs to what makes you happy, but quit with pretending you want to make it ‘fair’. All you want is to make it more convenient for yourself and to heck with anyone else.

And by the way, I’ve dined Late and did just fine with the current hrs. If I wanted a drink closer to my dining time, I went to a lounge and bought one just as I’d done for the many years before the Happy Hr was started. Most Elite (Early and Late Diners) understand the mechanizations of why the hrs are 4-6pm and do just fine with it.

Denny

Denny,

Early seating is usually at 6:00 so it would be one hour for early seating. Many of the shows start at 7 for late seating passengers. 4 to 6 provides a full 2 hrs for everyone whether it's right before dinner or not. We have late seating and I certainly understand the timing issue. As many people have said it's a nice venue to get to know your fellow CC members.

Denny,

Early seating is usually at 6:00 so it would be one hour for early seating. Many of the shows start at 7 for late seating passengers. 4 to 6 provides a full 2 hrs for everyone whether it's right before dinner or not. We have late seating and I certainly understand the timing issue. As many people have said it's a nice venue to get to know your fellow CC members.

Thank you Ma Bell for another excellant post that I totally agree with. Celebrity has done very well with the elite perks and as we all know they will never be able to satisfy everyone. We are very satisfied.:D

Denny,

Early seating is usually at 6:00 so it would be one hour for early seating....

I agree Ma Bell - but our dining was at 6:30pm on one cruise and I was trying to give the 'slide it for me' posters an out that didn't make it appear that they were trying to completely cut out the Early (which is Really Called Traditional) Diners out in their quest for 'fairness'.

Denny

Thanks Teajak.:) I consider the late seating people fortunate that we can enjoy two hours in the Elite lounge if we wish and still have time to clean up for dinner and meet other friends or family before dinner who may not be Elite CC members. We have more choices than the early seating does.

On port days, we never used Michael's club for breakfast/cappuccino/bloody mary because by the time it opened, we were either getting ready to go ashore, or already ashore. Maybe I should complain and ask them to open for breakfast at 6am so I can be convenienced?

We had late seating and had no problem with the 4-6 Happy Hour. It was great on sea days, and we usually returned to the ship around 5pm, in time for a drink or two. We really enjoy the perk.

For the posters who believe moving the Happy Hr to a later timeframe so it is more convenient for them, please explain how that is more 'fair' or works for Tradtional 6pm diners. Please do that. Don't explain how it's more convenient or that you don't like drinking 2hrs before dinner, but how the move to a later time is fair for all Elites.

Every thread on Elite benefits gets a few of these posts about moving it later because it's not fair, or can't be used and so on. Most of us see that it can be used by all, it is 'fair' in that any other option cuts out Traditional/early Diners so where is the 'fair' and are you really suggesting a major portion of the Elite lose access to the Happy Hr a majority of the time available so that it is more 'convenient'? What am I missing.

I and others have asked for this type of explanation and all I read is, 'I don't want to drink that early'. Fine, don't. But explain how giving you a free drink at your convenience and at the expense of a great deal of the Elites works. It is available for your use - your pesonal habits limit you.

As Wine-O pointed out, I didn't use the breakfast that much because it wasn't 'convenient' for my personal habits......I know breakast is free other places....please....but I miss out on those special coffees!

So please come back and post why you think its a great idea to move Happy Hr to a later time that cuts out the Early (I give up) diners and you think that is a great idea. Either that or quit posting such oneway suggestions on various threads and when asked why that is 'fair' staying silent until the next thread where you post the same thing. Go ahead and post that you want it changed but be sure you let everyone know you want that for your own conenince and to heck with those that loose out.

That's call proper perspecitve.

Denny

Hey Denny I was one of the "late seating diners" who was upset the elite cocktails were 4-6. But then when we were actually on the ship, it seemed to work out well. We can have our drinks at 4:00 and then I will leave around 5:30 PM and go get ready for dinner. My husband will stay until 6:00 and he gets ready for dinner and then we go to the show at 7:00 PM and then the martini bar and then dinner at 8:30 PM.

So in actuality I like it better. If it were 5-7 then I'd have to get all ready for dinner beforehand, and I don't like to get ready for dinner that early.

On the nights when the show is after dinner (formal nights) it works out too because then I get to more time there.

Archived