Weak Drinks

BosoxI

Weak drinks? I'm being polite because I am really talking about watered drinks. DW and I are now on the Emerald and several nights ago on Italian night DW ordered a limoncello, not for the drink itself, but for the glass it came in. Something about completing her collection. But the "limoncello" itself was clearly cut. It was thin, had no lemon taste, and was nothing more that sugar water. I've made it myself (the best stuff) and I've had plenty of the Italian commercial product. Believe me, this was watered down. Now, if something as obvious as limoncello has been tampered with, the old question of cut liquor rears its ugly head once again. I never would have believed Princess would risk its reputation playing around like this, and maybe, just maybe, it was only this waiter/bartender. But now I have to wonder once again.

Weak drinks? I'm being polite because I am really talking about watered drinks. DW and I are now on the Emerald and several nights ago on Italian night DW ordered a limoncello, not for the drink itself, but for the glass it came in. Something about completing her collection. But the "limoncello" itself was clearly cut. It was thin, had no lemon taste, and was nothing more that sugar water. I've made it myself (the best stuff) and I've had plenty of the Italian commercial product. Believe me, this was watered down. Now, if something as obvious as limoncello has been tampered with, the old question of cut liquor rears its ugly head once again. I never would have believed Princess would risk its reputation playing around like this, and maybe, just maybe, it was only this waiter/bartender. But now I have to wonder once again.

I would have brought it to the attention of the waiter/bartender and asked the waiter/bartender to bring me another one.

I had one of the $2.99 Long Island Ice Tea's, on the Island Princess, one night and commented to the waiter about alcohol content. He stated it couldn't be weak as there are four different liquors in the drink. I told him that they must be pouring all four liquors from the same bottle. He brought me a new drink which was much better.

I've noticed the weak margaritas on the Diamond. I asked for a margarita, but only the tequila that they put in it. I other words, give me a margarita, but don't put anything in the glass but the tequila they use for the margarita. He wouldn't do it.

I was willing to pay for the margarita as-is, and just drink the tequila they put in the drink. I wanted to taste the tequila by itself.

The bartender would only sell me a shot of another tequila - from another bottle. He wouldn't let me try the margarita tequila.

I don't drink much myself, but I've heard if you find a bartender and tip him a little extra the 1st day, you'll get good drinks. Can anyone verify this?

I always tip the bartender $1 per drink and usually frequent the same bar and have never had a weak drink in 10 cruises.

Maybe that answers your question.:D

Of course I drink something simple like a Sapphire and tonic.

Mike:)

you should report it to the supervisor. If there's some jiggery pokery going on, he'll have the bartender watched and if watering down is happening he'll be fired. Otherwise the bartender will be stealing the booze for himself

I always tip the bartender $1 per drink and usually frequent the same bar and have never had a weak drink in 10 cruises.

This is great for you and obviously works :D However, I am wondering why you (or anyone else) should have to do this if you are already paying 15% gratuity on top of the price of a drink anyway :eek:

There was quite a lengthy debate on these boards on the same subject not that long ago. Me thinks there is something amiss here.... :p

On our last Princess cruise I had the sail away drink special. A rum punch.

Tasted like fruit juice. Handed it to my DW who isn't a drinker and can detect the smallest amount of alcohol in a drink. She tasted it and confirmed what I suspected..no booze. I figured they just missed my glass with the rum since they make these specials in mass.

This is great for you and obviously works :D However, I am wondering why you (or anyone else) should have to do this if you are already paying 15% gratuity on top of the price of a drink anyway

I don't have to do anything. I do it because I want to and was only reporting my experience.

Mike:p

Here is the link to the other thread that I referred to previously ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1180243&highlight=drinks

If anybody is serious about checking the alcohol proof being served here is the devise for you.

http://www.alcoholcontrols.com/lihy.html

Maybe someone would like to buy it and charge a “nominal” fee for each sample tested. A buck or two may not pay for it in one cruise but spread out over a few cruises…

Cheers, VegasPier

My dw noticed the same on all cruises?I drink beer,so wouldn't notice a thing.If u were not sure just ask for a shot glass on the side and add what u want.or ask the bartender to make it stronger.I would imagine they would do it?:)

I've never "pre-tipped" and have never gotten a "weak" drink on any ship! If anything, they seem to be a bit stronger than in some bars on land!

The exception are frozen "foo-foo" drinks...I can never discern the alcohol, even when I see them pour it in.....

We had the limoncello last week on the Emerald in Sabatini's & thought the same thing. It was a complementary drink so I couldn't complain but it did taste weak. I had nothing to compare it to since the only time I've had it was on Princess but I wouldn't order it again.

It must be an acquired taste.

My dw noticed the same on all cruises?I drink beer,so wouldn't notice a thing.If u were not sure just ask for a shot glass on the side and add what u want.or ask the bartender to make it stronger.I would imagine they would do it?:)

Beer or Martini's. I had a really good dirty martini at the capitains circle cocktail party. The drink was free and I gave the server a tip after I received the drink.

I have never had a problem with weak drinks. I normally order Beverly Hills Iced Tea, Long Island Iced Tea or Captain's Bounty and they always taste significantly of alcohol. Personally I think it is nonsense that they water them down. If you think it is then why not just ask the waiter or server and solve it then and there.

Just off the Island two weeks ago, on the 15 day Panama Canal repositioning up to Vancouver, and I will unfortunately agree about watered down drinks. I don't drink often, and am accustomed to feeling the effects of a couple of drinks. The first disappointment was a large Pina Colada served at the Pool Bar, and the only thing I felt was full after I finished it! Next were a couple of watered-down foo-foo drinks. The only exception of a good bar drink being one I was served at Crooners Bar. Other than that one, the only drinks that I felt were made correctly were ordered with dinner. This was a definite change from our 2008 cruise on the same ship, and a disappointment to pay so much and receive so little.

I've done the same thing and never have been disapointed.....:):):)

Bob

I am so glad that this was brought up (and I will read the other thread too). We just returned from the Panama Canal on the Island and experienced the same thing. None of the drinks we ordered had any alcohol in them, if at all. And I am the original cheap date and start feeling the alcohol with just one drink. The Mojitos were soda water and mint and the Brandy Manhattan I had tasted like soda pop (actually, there probably was brandy in it but it was really watered). Didn't complain on board at the time because I wanted to think about how to approach Princess about this. I simply stopped ordering alcoholic drinks, except a couple of white wines, which also tasted a bit watered down, so Princess can tell from our final bill that we didn't order much alchohol.

I agree that we shouldn't have to tip $1 to the bartender just to get a drink that we are paying the 15% service charge on (and I ordered my drinks through a waiter and not at the bar so had no interaction with the bartender). In any case, it's just plain sleazy for any provider, land or sea, to water down the booze.

Debbie

Archived