June 1st announcement

Your observation matches ours Gina, and in most instances when the lounge would have been overcrowded because of the numbers of eligible passengers on board, they have opened up a satellite lounge that worked out quite well. On Jewel of the Seas, I actually preferred the Hollywood Odyssey for cocktail hour to the CL. By the time first seating guests had departed for dinner both lounges were far less crowded. Perhaps if the second seating guests could postpone their arrival in the lounge until the first seating guests have departed, some of the overcrowding might be relieved. Of course that might mean that they would only have two hours of free drinks instead of three, so maybe that wouldn't be a popular solution.;)

This is what we do. We make a point of never arriving at the CL before 6:00 pm since we always have late seating. It's a simple matter of courtesy for your fellow passengers.

Keep in mind that all these NEW and IMPROVED changes are done to balance off NEW

"110% guarantee" program, which would not allow you to get a price reduction after final payment. And you must book at least 6 months in advance to get this extra OBC. I am guessing that they see decline in very advance booking. A lot of people must have waiting for "after the final payment" pricing to book their cruises.

The cold hard facts is that those that cruise 4 cheap represents the C & D clientele of RCI. Raising prices may make you consider something else, but overall it will raise profits for the company and as such the dividends for shareholders.

First they would have to reinstate the dividends before we can worry about them raising them.;)

Your observation matches ours Gina, and in most instances when the lounge would have been overcrowded because of the numbers of eligible passengers on board, they have opened up a satellite lounge that worked out quite well. On Jewel of the Seas, I actually preferred the Hollywood Odyssey for cocktail hour to the CL. By the time first seating guests had departed for dinner both lounges were far less crowded. Perhaps if the second seating guests could postpone their arrival in the lounge until the first seating guests have departed, some of the overcrowding might be relieved. Of course that might mean that they would only have two hours of free drinks instead of three, so maybe that wouldn't be a popular solution.;)

OK OK I give! I'm sure that no D+ members are seeing any overcrowding in the CL! I don't blame you, if I were a D+ I wouldn't have noticed any overcrowding either!:D

The cold hard facts is that those that cruise 4 cheap represents the C & D clientele of RCI. Raising prices may make you consider something else, but overall it will raise profits for the company and as such the dividends for shareholders.

When the price dropped, the class of client quite frankly went down from insides to suites. The class and type of client attracted by the lowered fares did not spend as much onboard. Therefore, I am highly in favor of an increase in price.

I totally agree with this.

The only thing that bugs me...a LITTLE...is that the special deal if you book by 6/30 is only for cruises after 5/1/2011. I can't plan that far ahead for certain reasons (that some of you know)...so I would have appreciated being able to have a similar offer for a cruise sooner....ah well........not a big deal.....

This is what we do. We make a point of never arriving at the CL before 6:00 pm since we always have late seating. It's a simple matter of courtesy for your fellow passengers.

Nice there is some courtesy..On our last INDY Mar 19, 2010..the bartender in the Olive or Twist said people started camping out in the DL about 3:30 ..this happened every night they felt they had their favorite seats and "NO" one was going to upset their entitled routine, they seemed "VERY" upset if someone even tried to disturbed their flow..First time I have been disgusted with the "I'm more important than you bunch" that was on this particular cruise and also how they treated the Concierge..If you missed the thread that others experienced the same, do a search !!!

Truth be told, many people will forego their internet benefits and wear their clothes again without laundering them before they will give up their free drinks.;)

Truth be told, while the free drinks are great the best part of the CL is the fellow cruisers we have met. We have made a lot of great friends in that lounge.

Truth be told, while the free drinks are great the best part of the CL is the fellow cruisers we have met. We have made a lot of great friends in that lounge.

I agree with you, Tony, but unfortunately you and I are exceptional people and not everyone has the same values as you and I.:D

Ok a question...........I'm just trying to read this as written. Isn't most of this geared to ON Board booking?

I have the same question and cannot seem to find an answer?

Does anyone know if this is for onboard bookings only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachT viewpost.gif

When the price dropped, the class of client quite frankly went down from insides to suites. The class and type of client attracted by the lowered fares did not spend as much onboard. Therefore, I am highly in favor of an increase in price.

I totally agree with this.

well I hope you enjoy your 3/4 empty ship and tripple the price suites when all of us c & d class cruiser's go to other lines where our $$$$$ will be welcomed with open arms!

just make sure when you are walking the empty decks you don't trip and hurt yourselves looking down your noses trying to find someone to talk too.

:cool:

We also do late seating and typically we arrive about 45 mins earlier. Time for two drinks.

So it appears that people who waited for the last WOW sale to book are getting the worst of all worlds. Thay miss out on the old price protection policy by ONE day. And since nothing booked before June 1 is grandfathered they miss out on the combinability of a couple of benefits by TWO weeks.

What a great sale RCI, may we have another just like it?

Any idea if Celebrity will offer the same benefits? I would assume they will mirror RCCL as they did with the Best Pricing Guarantee.

maybe I missed it but what is this....... or better yet where did you read about this??

YUP! Or in some cases the peeps we met OUTSIDE the door to the CL! :p (hiya beachbuddy!)

we did have fun though!!!

well I hope you enjoy your 3/4 empty ship and tripple the price suites when all of us c & d class cruiser's go to other lines where our $$$$$ will be welcomed with open arms!

just make sure when you are walking the empty decks you don't trip and hurt yourselves looking down your noses trying to find someone to talk too.

:cool:

Not going to happen. Those ships are sailing full at the prices they are charging now. What will happen, is a better class of cruiser that spends more money will start to cruise again. Believe it or not, there are people holding back because RCI is just too cheap because of the clientele that a lower price attracts.

Not going to happen. Those ships are sailing full at the prices they are charging now. What will happen, is a better class of cruiser that spends more money will start to cruise again. Believe it or not, there are people holding back because RCI is just too cheap because of the clientele that a lower price attracts.

I don't see how you can say that about a mass market cruiseline.

OK OK I give! I'm sure that no D+ members are seeing any overcrowding in the CL! I don't blame you, if I were a D+ I wouldn't have noticed any overcrowding either!:D

The only time it would have been an issue, a satellite lounge was opened, therefore it wasn't an issue. I'm sure there are cruises that have an abundance of D+ on board, but most I've been on just weren't a problem....at least not for us. Some people might think it's overcrowded if MOST of the seats are filled and they don't have a large selections of chairs to choose from. :D

And I might add....the time I saw the satellite lounge opened was when D still had CL access.

Gina

Waiting to book while onboard this AUG..Will the 2012 Alaska be out yet if not what are the advantages of booking future cruise (7 or 12 nights)..Balcony discount (diamond +),OBC (how much), discounted deposit (how much for JS or GS ) Sorry for all the questions..Thanks so much !!! Just wondering how these new changes announced today will work out the best ....

I don't see how you can say that about a mass market cruiseline.

It is a mass market cruiseline that is charging far too little for its product.

In December 2007, there was a marked difference in the class of people who were cruising on the December 2008 cruise on the same ship on the same itinerary.

The biggest difference was the price was significantly dropped to "fill the ship". What happened was those people who came on at a lower price spent as much as 75% less onboard as those who cruised in December 2007.

As far as the announcement goes, you can join the C&A society on your very first cruise while still onboard and take advantage of this. So this "benefit" is not all that exclusive as you might be led to believe.

And I've always felt those who book a few of weeks out and get a steal of the deal were the smart ones. Sorry if my presence on the ship lowers the class of cruiser on board. I promise to act refined and dignified while in your presence.

It is a mass market cruiseline that is charging far too little for its product.

In December 2007, there was a marked difference in the class of people who were cruising on the December 2008 cruise on the same ship on the same itinerary.

The biggest difference was the price was significantly dropped to "fill the ship". What happened was those people who came on at a lower price spent as much as 75% less onboard as those who cruised in December 2007.

As far as the announcement goes, you can join the C&A society on your very first cruise while still onboard and take advantage of this. So this "benefit" is not all that exclusive as you might be led to believe.

Are the wealthier or "classier" as you say, people going to want to book on Deck 2 and 3 or an inside on any deck? I think that might not work out.

Archived