Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

As someone in my mid-20's this is just as stereotypical as saying older people are rude. Give us younger ones a try. I know people say that we are rude, self-centered and all about ourselves. However that is the minority. I work with a large number of young 20's and 30's who chose to get costly college degrees and then work in inner city schools, volunteering hours after school and on weekends and making a difference. We all do not fit the all about me mold, just because the media portrays us as that!

There is no excuse for rude, from anyone. You can find it in a 20 yr old as much as a 60, 70 or 80 yr old. Conversely, you find wonderful 20 yr olds and those in their 60's, 70's and 80's who make sharing an experience -- wonderful.

There is no stereo typing necessary -- bad behavior can be found everywhere and from all types of people.

I had a run-in with some low-level snobbery. I was eating breakfast in the MDR, and agreed to share a table. When introductions went around, people told each other who they're cruising with. I told everyone I was solo. One older lady blurted out: "that's bizarre!" Her tone was such that one of her friends (or sisters?) shushed her. Her husband, who sat next to her, barely said anything during the entire meal. (I wonder why.) I pushed back by talking about how much fun I was having, subtly referencing some non-G-rated parts of my cruise. That got her to change the topic pretty quickly. :D

Thankfully, it happened only once. The other times I ate breakfast and lunch in the MDR, I had great conversations with the people I shared a table with. My tablemates engaged in some playful ribbing here or there, but it was after getting to know each other, and I knew it was in jest.

I'm very easy going and, at my age, let things roll off my shoulders. My wife, on the other hand, tends to get upset when people are rude. The only things that I've found on cruises is that a few people will bump into you or cut in front of you without excusing themselves. I find this to be the case with certain cultures that do not respect politeness as much as we do. However, I have never found anything more than that and even those things do not upset me. Life is too short to get irritated over incidental things. ;)

If you have a confrontation, just remember you will probably see these people several times during the cruise which could lead to some uncomfortable situations. I usually just let rude peoples actions roll off my back. I am on the ship for a vacation and I am not going to let some loser monkeys spoil it for me.

If you have a confrontation, just remember you will probably see these people several times during the cruise which could lead to some uncomfortable situations. I usually just let rude peoples actions roll off my back. I am on the ship for a vacation and I am not going to let some loser monkeys spoil it for me.

you can also get thrown off the ship for an altercation, even if you are in the right.

I just read a little here..it is always the case..get out of the house and vaccume and there is a small percentage in the "best most spoiled times in life" in a state..cheers to all solos and couples at any age having fun together.

While hard SOMETIMES to be facing 55 next birthday....there are so many joys of remembering solo travels at many ages and those I have been honored to meet and share times with in a group tour, on a ship, or really totally self driven solo by air or car.

Be what you want to get back as well as you can...we are all human. One of my greatest gifts now..are people who are twenty something looking at me as we all are living longer and seeing the halfway point instead of the end..LOL...

And I was always close to parents and grandparents friends and the grandparent's friends always, always said I made them feel ageless. I have some twenty somethings around here returning the gift...it is HEAVEN.....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

• 4 months later...

I work in the hospitality industry. Rude snobs are not the sole domain of cruises. I work at high-end resorts (like Forbes 4 & 5 star properties). I have encountered many rude guests who have a sense of entitlement and that the employees are lowly peons not worthy of respectful treatment. There have been times that I have to excuse myself and walk away for a moment, lest I either start crying or roll my eyes or dish it back at a guest. No particular age demographic is worse than another, but there are some distinct regional demographics that we cringe at… We had a group of families from a certain very large East Coast city come in. Every day, they would complain about something. One of our employees overheard a conversation between some of the wives of the group; telling each other what they complained about and what they received for compensation! They were "phishing" for freebies.

I've been pretty lucky in that I really haven't had any real encounters with rude or snobby people on my cruises. Maybe it's Karma for having to deal with rude snobs in my everyday life :D

I work in the hospitality industry. Rude snobs are not the sole domain of cruises. I work at high-end resorts (like Forbes 4 & 5 star properties). I have encountered many rude guests who have a sense of entitlement and that the employees are lowly peons not worthy of respectful treatment. There have been times that I have to excuse myself and walk away for a moment, lest I either start crying or roll my eyes or dish it back at a guest. No particular age demographic is worse than another, but there are some distinct regional demographics that we cringe at… We had a group of families from a certain very large East Coast city come in. Every day, they would complain about something. One of our employees overheard a conversation between some of the wives of the group; telling each other what they complained about and what they received for compensation! They were "phishing" for freebies.

I've been pretty lucky in that I really haven't had any real encounters with rude or snobby people on my cruises. Maybe it's Karma for having to deal with rude snobs in my everyday life :D

I hope it wasn't New York. If so, let me apologize on their behalf. As a New Yorker, it hurts me when people label us as rude, pushy, etc. I, nor any of my friends or family fall into that stereotype.

Most people will respond to kindness and courtesy. Even a pleasant smile and a friendly "Hello" makes a world of difference in most situations.

I see plenty of people in my day to day, business life, that don't respond in any way to a friendly 'hello' or smile -- they are too too busy focusing on whatever they are doing.

I see plenty of people in my day to day, business life, that don't respond in any way to a friendly 'hello' or smile -- they are too too busy focusing on whatever they are doing.

Unfortunately, this is very true. But, I've discovered that it doesn't cost me anything to try. Sometimes, it even helps to brighten the attitude of the person I'm doing business with. :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

Unfortunately, this is very true. But, I've discovered that it doesn't cost me anything to try. Sometimes, it even helps to brighten the attitude of the person I'm doing business with. :D

I agree; I do it everyday, in my workworld.....if they are unresponsive, I just feel sad for them.....and keep on it.

It has gotten much worse recently with this obsession with smartphones, tablets and iPods. Seems many people only want to live in their very small bubble, choosing to ignore everything else around them. It's a shame how often I see two people dining together and both checking emails, texting, or who knows what else on their smartphones or tablets, rarely making eye contact, much less carrying on a conversation.

Edited by boogs

With over 50 cruises on 9 different lines over 30 years, we don't see many rude or snobby folks. We generally cruise and travel off season. We prefer ships that don't cater to families.

We find it is easy to go with what we enjoy and avoid situations that don't.

If we find folks talking too much or too loud, we simply move and find a quiet space.

We don't cruise to make friends. Ocassionally we will meet and chat for a short time with other cruisers but that is about it.

For us crusiing is about the ports and being at sea. So we explore ports on our own and enjoy lots of time on our balcony.

Life is too short to get too excited about what others do or don't do. This is true both on board and in ports of call.

It has gotten much worse recently with this obsession with smartphones, tablets and iPods. Seems many people only want to live in their very small bubble, choosing to ignore everything else around them. It's a shame how often I see two people dining together and both checking emails, texting, or who knows what else on their smartphones or tablets, rarely making eye contact, much less carrying on a conversation.

I work in a retail establishment that tries hard to focus on customer service. It however amazes me, that in trying to focus on customer service, we try to change the dynamics of our interaction with the shopper from a 'transaction to interaction'. Meaning saying "Hello", being 'friendly', engaging in conversation as a way of pleasant engagement -- often to have the customer just 'stare blankly', or uncomfortably take out their cellphone and start dialing. But these same customers will complain that no one spoke to them when they were in our store.

So you are correct, it has gotten terribly worse.

I put this on a thread a few weeks ago, but this thread would suit it also.

On our first cruise on Independence we docked at Lisbon. There was a problem with the tide which meant only one gangplank could be used to disembark. A lengthy queue built up in the corridor, but every body was in a grin and bear it situation, so just waited patiently. The steward was doing his best and we were all having a laugh and joke with him. Scuse the pun, but we were all in the same boat, so we just got on with it. One guy in the queue decided to have a pop at the steward, saying it was taking too long, and that he was going to report him (the steward) for holding us up. We ALL said he was having a laugh. The more we said this, the more angry the guy got. Then we started with "always look on the bright side of life, doo doo, doo doo........." Then we all shook the stewards hand, saying "good job mate", which infuriated this guy even more. Bless him.

Originally Posted by jackdiamond viewpost.gif

most rude older people were once rude younger people.

This didn't copy well (think italics)

You know I've always said that kids that have no manners, no rules - it's all on the parents. They are not doing their job. My mother at 84 says "I'm old. I can say whatever I want". Umm, no you are really really rude. But, whatever, can't change her. If my kids or my grandkids ever said the things that she does I'd smack them silly (it's an expression okay). I believe even in a marriage that manners count. If I taught my kids anything it was to be polite - and they have taught their kids the same thing.

I'll never forget telling my young son "when you go through a door you always hold the door open for a lady"... Next you always hold the door open for older people". And last, but not least, you never let the door go if there is someone behind you. So a few weeks later my son (around 5) holds the door open for an older couple. They gush with appreciation. He says, "wow mom, that really worked". He's had manners ever since.

This is why I placed a sign over my desk that stated

" Prices subjected to change due to attitude of customer "

I always wonder about those who base their entire identity on one element...in this case it is how many cruises they have or their loyalty status. It shows they are someone who is as interesting as a can of white paint.

When I get these type of people (young or old or middle aged....you get them everywhere) I like to listen to them boast for a bit then change the subject and ask them their view on something obscure or intellectual....shuts them up enough to allow for my exit.

I have experienced a lot of rudeness towards myself because some will assume because I am young and easy going and my hubby and myself look slightly hippyish (long hair) that we must be silly student types. When in actual fact we have spent many times correcting ignorant folk (often seniors I have to say) about various issues including a couple that haphazardly said that all kosher/Halal meat was the same thing and they should 'stop fussing'. :s

Edited by Velvetwater

We had a group of families from a certain very large East Coast city come in. Every day, they would complain about something. One of our employees overheard a conversation between some of the wives of the group; telling each other what they complained about and what they received for compensation! They were "phishing" for freebies.

I've been pretty lucky in that I really haven't had any real encounters with :D

I have read there is one particular European culture that members will travel with pad and paper to make a list of every single issue with a hotel, meal, etc. and expect a reduction in rate or some other compensation. This is hypothetical - I've not encountered any individuals like that.

Most people I've met on ships are very kind and actually kind of interesting. Some others, I smile and keep going as fast as possible. :D

I have read there is one particular European culture that members will travel with pad and paper to make a list of every single issue with a hotel, meal, etc. and expect a reduction in rate or some other compensation. This is hypothetical - I've not encountered any individuals like that.

Most people I've met on ships are very kind and actually kind of interesting. Some others, I smile and keep going as fast as possible. :D

Being a sociologist by training, I find it fascinating to be able to interact with all kinds of people and observe the differences between various demographics ;)

Sometimes it is close to impossible to keep a caring demeanor when listening to some guests whine about things. People on a group rate where the group coordinator assigns the rooms (which they've paid a heavily discounted rate) will come and complain that they didn't get a balcony, didn't get a view, didn't get the upgrade to the Presidential they did last year (of course, no way to confirm that), etc… The guest who books the cheapest room at the time - a room with 2 queen beds - then complains they didn't get the deluxe king room they always get. I had someone the other day walk up to the Desk, talking on his cellphone. He slapped down his loyalty card, his id, and his CC. Never said a word, never looked at me. I dutifully took his information, checked him in. I never said a word. He grabbed his keys and took off. I also get people who are talking to someone else while they are trying to call the hotel!!! If I answer the phone, I'll so my usual greeting spiel. They are still talking! I'll then go "HELLO??????" and they will go "oh, I need….." really??? Could you NOT stop talking so you could properly do a phone call????

No wonder I started drinking more when I got this job ;)

Edited by slidergirl

In 2011 on Rhapsody of the Seas (Alaska), we were getting off at the first port, standing in line just outside the ship to buy tickets to something and as I past four elderly people, my backpack grazed an elderly man (mid-80s or so). A woman with him (a bit younger, 70s maybe, not his wife) yelled after me: "You need to be careful, you almost knock my friend over. APOLOGIZE!" I yelled back, "I'm sorry." but with little emotion. I barely touched him (honestly, I didn't even notice), and he didn't seem at all fazed by it.

Awhile later, I was getting on a bus, and he was already on it. As I stepped in, he yelled, "Uh-oh, here comes that girl that tried to hurt me." I was shocked, and as I got closer, I said, "Sir, I did say I was sorry." Then he said, "But you tried to kill me! That's one lethal backpack you have there!" At that moment, I realized he thought the whole thing was as ridiculous as I did, so I pretended to try to clobber him with my backpack. And we got a good laugh. His "friend" found none of this funny.

For the duration of the cruise, every time he would see me, he'd yell for everyone around to take cover, "the crazy backpack-killer is nearby." He was pretty awesome, great sense of humor and turned an uncomfortable situation into a funny, memorable moment of a great vacation.