Have YOU been accosted by the fashion police? We were

CowPrincess

I love the Volendam. I was lucky to be on her 34 day circumnavigation of your wonderful country this spring and had my very best cruise ever. The itinerary was wonderful and I met such nice people on board, Aussies, Kiwis, Yanks and Canadians and Brits too. While some folks really dressed up on formal nights, most of us wore dressy mix and match separates. At our table of ten I think there was one Tux.

I know you'll find the crew friendly and smiling and helpful. They really go out of their way to insure you have a great trip. I am looking at the 1/16 sailing to the Pacific and New Zealand. This would make three years in a row on the Volendam out of Sydney. Hoping I can swing it.

Carole

Yes, but did you ever find the little black bikini that went missing on our Great Barrier Reef catamaran trip??? :D Sorry, couldn't help myself!!!

Indeed, the crew was great. Wish HAL would offer this itinerary again.

Teresa

IMHO I have saved all year for this trip.. I am a single mom of 2 kids and for us going out is Dennys.. My DD has her fancy dresses. DS has.... His kakis and Polos... I wear scrubs daily... To us dressing up is more of a question of $ for something we will wear once for DS and I. So if you see us in our 'dressy' clothes on the way to the lido know that we chose the memories over the $ for clothes to wear twice.. Our goal is all 50 states.. HAL had the itinerary we wanted..

Unless a Webelos uniform is considerd Formal Attire....

I certainly understand your post.

Your children are in for a treat. I wouldn't allow myself to get too intimidated over the formal night thing if I were you. As others have said better than I ever could, it is actually very easy to meet the "code" on a HAL ship. It is an elegant experience I bet your son and daughter would really enjoy - and you get maximum value from the vacation you saved a year for.

The Lido is fine too, its just that I would hate for you to get onboard and kick yourself when you see how passenger friendly the dress code really is.

Smooth sailing to you...

When we were on the Volendam,on formal night, the Captain was having dinner with a couple in the DR.......and the couple was not in formal attire. Guess it didn't bother him!

:)

Likely wld or did but it's his job to be cordial and not offend and those 'crass' pax likely are suite pax and cruiselines don't like to 'offend' those who spend a lot of $s..or for that matter any paying customer these days when one sees what is being allowed into even the MDR :( - mores the pity IMO!

Technically speaking I believe HAL still requests that after 6:00 on formal nights passengers dress appropriately "in the public areas". This would suggest that if you plan to get from point A to point B in casual wear you should at least try to not go through the public areas.

As we continue to dress down in our society more and more people simply ignore this request as they so often do both on the sea and on the shore.

But when another passenger takes the time to point it out when you are simply walking past them (and they have no idea where you're going), I think that says a heck of a lot more about them than it does about you.

I often have an appointment to have my hair done on formal nights, and the only time available is after 5, so when I'm going to or from the salon I often pass people already dressed for dinner. I always compliment them on their appearance. It hasn't occurred to me that one of them might be thinking about my own appearance two hours before dinner.

If we have a cocktail party or other reception scheduled before dinner, we do get ready early. Otherwise it's a good time for a shower and nap.

Now Reuel, you do realize that you have the right to remain silent, don't you? You did not have to admit that you once wore a blue tux. Glad to hear it was only that once, though!

I would love it if you and your black tux decided to join us on that "Down Under" cruise.

Oh Ruth,

There is so much more I could confess :rolleyes: Tux colors don't even register on the radar

And a well placed confessional tidbit can certainly liven up a conversation ;)

IIRC I think that "Midnight Blue" was actually invented by Channel or one of the other French Couture houses. It was most definitely NOT baby or powder blue :eek:

Wikipidia lists it as still correct for formal wear ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_blue

I certainly don't own it any more, but I do wish I could still fit in it ;)

Somewhere I think there might yet exist a Lavender Formal shirt with Black edged Ruffels (from quite a different decade) :o

You see, I'm just filled with curious surprises :cool: Though I never did have an over sized Velvet bow tie

Would love to join you on the Down Under, but it is not in the cards this year.

Do I remember correctly that you also doing Alaska this Summer ?

Anyway, somehow, some day, some DAM ship, we will sail the Ocean Blue together.

r.

Do I remember correctly that you also doing Alaska this Summer ?

Anyway, somehow, some day, some DAM ship, we will sail the Ocean Blue together.

r.

How nice of you to remember! :) Yes, I'm doing the Amsterdam 14-day Alaska cruise in August, then the Veendam to Bermuda in October.

How I would love to sit down with you, each of us have one too many drinks, and share embarassing tales! What fun it would be to "get the goods" on each other. ;)

How nice of you to remember! :) Yes, I'm doing the Amsterdam 14-day Alaska cruise in August, then the Veendam to Bermuda in October.

How I would love to sit down with you, each of us have one too many drinks, and share embarassing tales! What fun it would be to "get the goods" on each other. ;)

Agreed:

That would keep us both in hysterics till dawn, or even an entire TA ! :cool:

AND, no fashion police in sight. :p

Sooner rather than later,

r.

Okay, I spend most of the first part of this year talking my DH into going on a cruise to Alaska. HAL had the look of what we wanted. And my friend who is a TA assured us that HAL would be great match for us.

We are not slobs, neither one of us would ever consider going out in public in sweat pants (not even to work out), nor are we fancy dressers. We have already decide to bag formal nights. But I'm not going to hide out in my room either that night.

I have a lot of trouble believing that people are so stupid and rude as to comment out loud on what people are wearing to their face be it positive or negative. Let alone complain to the crew. Is this for real? or are folks on this board just jokin' around.

If this is true, why oh why would anyone pay good money to travel with a group of stupid and rude people? (I know most aren't but sounds like there is enough to ruin a vacation-it really only takes one fool). I have to finishing paying for my cruise this week...and I'm thinking of saying this isn't worth it. I have little or no patience of The Fashion Police or The Old Biddy Committee on land or sea.

I'm afraid if someone makes a comment to my husband, he's going to want to get off at the next port.

Please tell me there isn't all this negativity and snobbery on board ship. I also have trouble believing that the crew/staff would be apart of this as well.

I've also heard that HAL ships are the ships of choice for the Fashion Police and The Old Biddy Committee. Makes me want to pack nothing but Overalls and flipflops.

I have a lot of trouble believing that people are so stupid and rude as to comment out loud on what people are wearing

And yet you have no problem yourself being insulting to people who travel on HAL....

why would anyone pay good money to travel with a group of stupid and rude people?

I've also heard that HAL ships are the ships of choice for the Fashion Police and The Old Biddy Committee.

And yet you have no problem yourself being insulting to people who travel on HAL....

Now, Princess (I just can't bring myself to call you Cow in any form or fashion-:o), don't let the grumpy ones get you down...

...just repeat after me...

"Well, bless your heart!" :)

<snip>

I have a lot of trouble believing that people are so stupid and rude as to comment out loud on what people are wearing to their face be it positive or negative. Let alone complain to the crew. Is this for real? or are folks on this board just jokin' around.

If this is true, why oh why would anyone pay good money to travel with a group of stupid and rude people? (I know most aren't but sounds like there is enough to ruin a vacation-it really only takes one fool). I have to finishing paying for my cruise this week...and I'm thinking of saying this isn't worth it. I have little or no patience of The Fashion Police or The Old Biddy Committee on land or sea.

<snip>

I've also heard that HAL ships are the ships of choice for the Fashion Police and The Old Biddy Committee. Makes me want to pack nothing but Overalls and flipflops.

My goodness, where did you hear that?

Perhaps you are taking this thread and, possibly, the "umm umm" thread too seriously. Something that is unpleasant at the time can become funny in retrospect. They're the kind of stories that are fun to share on a thread like this.

Rude and stupid people are everywhere. As my SIL is fond of saying, "You can't cure stupid." I really don't think HAL has cornered the market on rude, stupid, or old people.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise and meet lots of nice people. Enjoy!

Okay, I spend most of the first part of this year talking my DH into going on a cruise to Alaska. HAL had the look of what we wanted. And my friend who is a TA assured us that HAL would be great match for us.

We are not slobs, neither one of us would ever consider going out in public in sweat pants (not even to work out), nor are we fancy dressers. We have already decide to bag formal nights. But I'm not going to hide out in my room either that night.

I'm afraid if someone makes a comment to my husband, he's going to want to get off at the next port.

Please tell me there isn't all this negativity and snobbery on board ship. I also have trouble believing that the crew/staff would be apart of this as well.

I'm with you on this. As you can see from the responses after your post that the "Attitude" does exist at least for many who are posting here on CC. I can't imagine HAL being thrilled by this kind of PR work by some of it's passengers. Fashion Police or not, just go and have a good time. :)

:) :D

Sometimes I just can't stop myself :D And I swear the first time I use "well, bless your heart" in real life, I'll report it to you, TracieABD

You don't have to say it. Just think it. It'll make you smile in a way that will make the person deserving of the "WBYH" wonder what you're thinking.

pdxcostumelady...our experience on HAL is that The Fashion Police, The Old Biddy Committee, The Busybody Society, and the Hysterical (aka Historical)|Society only exist on this HAL board.

I think that 99.999 percent of HAL cruisers belong the Polite Society and the MYOB Club so there is absolutely nothing to worry about. We just go and have a good time.

I'm sure the cruise will be a good time. 'Cause I'm going to have a good time. Use to do stand up comedy, hecklers and stupid rudeness is part of the deal. I've found it's no different on internet boards, and I'm sure there's a few on cruise ships as well. They just have a way to showing up in life. It has and always will continue to surprise me. It's a huge ***** to me.

So, sorry Princess Cow, if I put you off. I fully understand that calling folks who I feel are stupid and rude, stupid and rude is not only a waste of time but it's wearing their cr*p all over me as well.

I'm excited about my first cruise and vacation in ten years. We don't leave until Sept. and I think it might be best if I find something else to do with my time than read these boards.

And yes, I'm sure HAL's PR department is over the moon pleased with all the great work and I'm sure some mis-information this board puts out.

It was on this board I read about that HAL is next to a floating retirement home. I've heard it elsewhere, as well. I don't believe it. My TA's son, who is 25 and very active and fun loving, loves sailing on the Oosterdam and other HAL ships.

:) :D

Sometimes I just can't stop myself :D And I swear the first time I use "well, bless your heart" in real life, I'll report it to you, TracieABD

I prefer the British expression "quite". It says so much without saying anything at all.;)

Archived