Veranda Suite Perks?

ss475

When the new program first rolled out, all the materials indicated double suite days for Superior and Deluxe Suites and, of course, for the Penthouse. I believe the program now has evolved and includes any accommodations rated as a Suite, including the Verandah Suites on the S and R class ships.

Based on this thread, I contacted the Mariner Society for clarification ... when we sailed the Maasdam last November in a B category Verandah Suite, our accounts were credited only for one day for each day sailed. The Mariner Society now has updated our accounts to include bonus suite days.

So glad I read DBA's comments here ... brings us a tad closer to 4-star.:D

Glad to be of service :D

I am new to HAL so hopefully you will all be able to enlighten me...we are booked in a Verandah Suite B6205 for 14 nights..I understand that there are also some minor perks for having been a passenger on Princess (platinum) which gives me one credit tier on HALS loyalty program but not the full past passenger benefits.

Can you elaborate on what we will receive double days? and just what else?

When the new program first rolled out, all the materials indicated double suite days for Superior and Deluxe Suites and, of course, for the Penthouse. I believe the program now has evolved and includes any accommodations rated as a Suite, including the Verandah Suites on the S and R class ships.

Based on this thread, I contacted the Mariner Society for clarification ... when we sailed the Maasdam last November in a B category Verandah Suite, our accounts were credited only for one day for each day sailed. The Mariner Society now has updated our accounts to include bonus suite days.

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope I get the same answer from the Mariner Society when I get back.

I believe if you look at the deckplan for the Eurodam you will see that a VA is a Deluxe Veranda Stateroom. Whereas as DBA stated, only on the S & R ships are the A's, and B, BA, BB, and BC's designated as Veranda Suites.

Dennis

We just sailed on the Ryndam for an Alaska cruisetour. We were in a Veranda BA suite for the 7 day cruise after our 6 day land tour and were given 13 suite bonus days. We were very surprised!

:confused: We didn't get double days for a VB on the Noordam in Dec, nor do I think we should have! :)

You're correct you shouldn't get "double days" for a VB on the Noordam. As I understand it the suite bonus days are awarded for Superior Verandah Suites (SS/SY/SZ/SU), Deluxe Verandah Suites (SA/SB/SC), and Penthouse Suites (PS) on Vista and Signature class ships. A VB is classified as a "verandah stateroom" not a "verandah suite" on those ships.

All Suites.

So S and R Class it's anything above a BC with the exception of VEENDAM'S BQ rooms (they are classified and priced as verandah staterooms, not verandah suites.

Vista and Signature Class it's anything above an SZ

Just quoting DBA, I think the confusion is in the class of ship. The A, AA, B, BB, & BC on the S and R class are apparently labeled "verandah suite" even though they don't get suite amenities.

You're correct you shouldn't get "double days" for a VB on the Noordam. As I understand it the suite bonus days are awarded for Superior Verandah Suites (SS/SY/SZ/SU), Deluxe Verandah Suites (SA/SB/SC), and Penthouse Suites (PS) on Vista and Signature class ships. A VB is classified as a "verandah stateroom" not a "verandah suite" on those ships.
Right, that's my understanding - but matondo in post #13 said s/he had a HAL brochure that said Vista VA and VB get the doubles. If true, it's very new. Or the brochure is simply wrong.
I was reading through the suites brochure that came in the mail a few weeks back and it stated the double days on Vista class ships included Penthouse, all S category and VA and VB.

I went and checked our Mariner Status, and we haven't been given any extra days retroactively.

The way HAL has been correcting the Mariner program I suppose anything is possible but I think reading VA and VB categories as counting as suite bonus day cabins is an error. There's certainly nothing in the booklet I got when the program initially came out that would indicate that but who knows...maybe. ;):) Might be the confusion that A and B categories on the R and S class ships are called suites and count for bonus days but on the Vista and Signature ships the designation changes to VA and VB and are called staterooms not suites and don't count for bonus days.

It may be incorrect on the Eurodam but according to the above, it is correct on Vista Class Ships which, (as I am sure you are aware) the Eurodam is not one of.

Yes, I am aware that the Eurodam is not a Vista Class, but if HAL were giving double days on the VA and VB on Vista Class, then it just stands to reason that HAL would do the same for Signature Class. :)

I did not expect double days for a VA or even an SY that I book on a Vista or Signature class in the future ... as my understanding, from what I have read on HAL's site, double days do not accrue for those categories.

Oceanwench

My apologies.

:( No negatives intended... I clearly over-interpreted your post as a question as to which was correct as you merely stated you did not get the double days. Just as my post must have sent a tone or implication that I did not intend.

Dennis

Accepted.

Thanks.

Well, a suggestion that I look at the deck plans and see what I have booked ... um ... I do have close to 100 days with HAL. ;) I kind of know those things by now!

Interesting. I assumed Suites included staterooms that had access to the Neptune lounge, plus just the SZ and SY's on Vista.

So, for the S & R class any Verandah gets double days?

Interesting. I assumed Suites included staterooms that had access to the Neptune lounge, plus just the SZ and SY's on Vista.

So, for the S & R class any Verandah gets double days?

Yes, that now seems to be the case. On the S and R class, the A down thru BC are marketed as Verandah Suites, whereas the various V categories on the Vista and Signature classes are sold as Verandah Staterooms.

I always kind of figured HAL looked at the bonus day program for suites and decided to give credit for A and B category cabins on the R and S class ships since these ships don't have the SS category. The reverse would not be true for the Vista and Signature class ships as they have numerous cabins from PS down through the SS category. No need for them to include the VA and VB categories for those ships.

I cruised on the Veendam last week in an A class Verandah suite and, regrettably, none of the fanciness you mentioned comes with the room.

We promptly requested that our mini-bar be emptied because we refused to pay for anything and we wanted the space for the soda and wine we brought with us. It took a few calls, but it was taken care of.

We did get mild amusement out of people frequently looking at us like we were lost. Apparently, being in mid to upper 20s in age is unusual for Verandah dwellers. Other than that, nothing extra came with the room. Unless you count having an awesome room to be an extra, because that we definitely got.

I see cruisers in their upper 20's all the time in suites.....are you sure this is why you thought they were looking at you? I really don't think anyone cares whether you walk out of a penthouse or an inside cabin....most people don't give it a second thought. Everyone spends their money differently and some folks think it is HILARIOUS that we choose to spend our money in the suites (as to say....what a waste of $$)....for us, it is not an issue. Hubby wouldn't even go on a cruise without a veranda if someone offered it to him for free--but to each his own.

But you made me think of a funny story....years ago, we were on the Veendam and the cabin was #003. It was beautiful. Back then (not sure what they do now), all the laundry/dry cleaning was free so we sent out just about everything we wore (I think hubby even had his personal tux dry cleaned!)....but everything we got back had a tiny little sticker with "003" on the tag and for Y-E-A-R-S after the cruise, we still find some shirts with the little "003" on the tag! I'm sure they probably do things differently now though...but what a funny (pleasant) memory of #003.

Thanks!

Dawn

Zip, Zero, Zilch. This category has no additional perks.

Additional perks require bigger bucks.

While many have said there are no perks in the Verandah Suite, I understood that they DO in fact get some additional perks (pretty much the same ones as the Superior Suites on the Vista Class).

Specifically, according to the current HAL brochures, you should get in your Verandah Suite (categories A-BC and BQ), "All standard stateroom amenities, PLUS:

• A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows
  • Personalized cruise stationary
  • Oversized bath towels
  • One-touch telephone concierge service
  • Fresh Flowers
  • Complimentary DVD library"

So while you're not getting the neptune lounge, to say there are no additional amenities for Veranadah Suites would be wrong. Whether these actually blow your hair back or not is quite another matter.

I see cruisers in their upper 20's all the time in suites.....are you sure this is why you thought they were looking at you? I really don't think anyone cares whether you walk out of a penthouse or an inside cabin....most people don't give it a second thought. Everyone spends their money differently and some folks think it is HILARIOUS that we choose to spend our money in the suites (as to say....what a waste of $$)....for us, it is not an issue. Hubby wouldn't even go on a cruise without a veranda if someone offered it to him for free--but to each his own.

But you made me think of a funny story....years ago, we were on the Veendam and the cabin was #003. It was beautiful. Back then (not sure what they do now), all the laundry/dry cleaning was free so we sent out just about everything we wore (I think hubby even had his personal tux dry cleaned!)....but everything we got back had a tiny little sticker with "003" on the tag and for Y-E-A-R-S after the cruise, we still find some shirts with the little "003" on the tag! I'm sure they probably do things differently now though...but what a funny (pleasant) memory of #003.

Thanks!

Dawn

Perhaps not, but we also had several people comment on it. Either way, we didn't care; we loved it and we're doing it again. Perhaps a deluxe suite next time, though.

Thanks DBA & others. We spent 19 days on the Veendam last Nov. having booked a B Veranda Suite and did not receive the Suite bonus. I emailed Hal last week and within a couple of days we an additional 19 days on our Cruise History. Four stars may not be out of the question for us!

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me if course by course dining can be accommodated in a deluxe verandah suite on the Veendam? And if yes can You share your experience on how this is done (ordering, which restaurant applies, process for getting the next course, etc.)? We don't like formal nights and thought it might be nice to dine on our balcony.

:confused:

Well, you WILL get double days for the cruise since you're in a Verandah SUITE, you'll have the minibar in the room although the items do have costs that go along with them. You'll have jets in the tub and obviously the verandah.

DBA - thanks for the info. As soon as I read this, I started a chat with HAL and got a completely different story:

Susan : I was just reading on the cruise critic boards that guests who sailed on the S and R ships in a BB or higher should be awarded extra days as suite passengers. We sailed on the Maasdam in Oct 2009 in a BA and did not get the extra credit. We did get credit for the $$ spend on board. Should we have more?

LeeAnn : HI. Double sea days are for existing Mariners who book a category SZ or higher.

LeeAnn : Cruise critic is personal entry's, not Holland America Lines.

Susan : According to some other information, on the R and S class, as the BB, BA, A are considered and shown as suites, these are getting double sea days. This was taken from HAL information brochure

LeeAnn : On S and R class it applies to category S

Susan : What is the Maasdam?

Susan : So on the Maasdam, it only applies to the SA?

LeeAnn : S class. and it only applies to category "S" on the ms Maasdam

Susan : OK - thanks.

Not to start a problem here, but it does appear that not everyone who works for HAL is "interpreting" this the same way. So I will be contacting the Mariners society tomorrow when I know that someone who works the normal duty days may be available.

:confused:

DBA - thanks for the info. As soon as I read this, I started a chat with HAL and got a completely different story:

Susan : I was just reading on the cruise critic boards that guests who sailed on the S and R ships in a BB or higher should be awarded extra days as suite passengers. We sailed on the Maasdam in Oct 2009 in a BA and did not get the extra credit. We did get credit for the $$ spend on board. Should we have more?

LeeAnn : HI. Double sea days are for existing Mariners who book a category SZ or higher.

LeeAnn : Cruise critic is personal entry's, not Holland America Lines.

Susan : According to some other information, on the R and S class, as the BB, BA, A are considered and shown as suites, these are getting double sea days. This was taken from HAL information brochure

LeeAnn : On S and R class it applies to category S

Susan : What is the Maasdam?

Susan : So on the Maasdam, it only applies to the SA?

LeeAnn : S class. and it only applies to category "S" on the ms Maasdam

Susan : OK - thanks.

Not to start a problem here, but it does appear that not everyone who works for HAL is "interpreting" this the same way. So I will be contacting the Mariners society tomorrow when I know that someone who works the normal duty days may be available.

aliaschief - thanks for reporting this. We have been counting on the double days for our category A verandah suite on the Veendam in 2 weeks. We will also be contacting the Mariners Society tomorrow to confirm.

Thanks!

Dawn

we love finding the tiny pink laundry tags on our clothes from our HAL cruise last summer. Brings back great memories for us as well

aliaschief - thanks for reporting this. We have been counting on the double days for our category A verandah suite on the Veendam in 2 weeks. We will also be contacting the Mariners Society tomorrow to confirm.

I think that when the program first was introduced, the double suite days were not for those in A thru BC on the S and R class ships ... I believe the program now has evolved to include those categories.

We sailed the Maasdam in November in a B category ... a single day for each one sailed appeared in our Mariner history. Several months later, based on comments on these boards, I emailed the Mariner Society with the following:

Hello ... RE: Mariner # XXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXX When we sailed the Maasdam last November, we were in a category B cabin, and our Mariner accounts each were credited with one day for each day sailed. Does that cabin category qualify for double cruise day credits, as that category is shown in your materials to be a Verandah Suite? If I recall correctly, when the new program was introduced, it clearly stated double cruise day credits for Superior and Deluxe ... and now your site simply alludes to spacious suites. Please clarify for me. Thanks so much

The response from the Mariner Society:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with the Mariner Society.

We have added the double cruise days for your 11/20/2009 Massdam sailing for Mariner numbers XXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXX. We have sent a updated cruise history report, please view attachment.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

So, my suggestion would be to wait until you return, check your Mariner history/status and inquire if only one day is credited.

Archived