Veranda Suite Perks?

ss475

seems to be the key word when mentioning a true 'pay big bucks for, get Pinn Grill breakfasts & Neptune Lounge access' SUITE...anything not mentioning that word isn't - It's just a 'gasp' Verandah Balcony 'Cabin'!! :) Guess its done to make folks feel they are getting something better than 'just' an ordinary cabin!

Wish cruiselines wld just label them cabins 'cause thats what most of them are - Suites shld be large & have at least a semi separate bedroom area (possibly w/ door or curtain) to be a suite such as the S or SA-SB & SCs.. SS-SY & SZs qualify as 'mini'-suites (u know..smaller/less than - not entitled to full suite perks) and shld be labelled as such, IMO anyway! Princess does this or used to, why doesn't HAL - sure wld be a LOT less confusing for a lot of folks..

Of course, Penthouse is a category all its own w/a fully separate bedroom - no mistaking that..for anything other than what it is :)

I contacted the Mariners society and recieved a reply today. We were in a BA (Verandah Suite)(Maasdam) sans Neptune and Pinnacle breakfast amentites but were given the double cruise days. So DBA 1, HAL chat lady 0

Again thanks to DBA and CC.

One thing I have noticed in this discussion is the lack of recognition that the Veranda Suites (A/B) on the S & R ships are larger and have more 'furniture' and 'space' than the Veranda Ocean View (V's) on the Vista ships. 292 sq ft quoted vs 254. To my thinking it is not unreasonable for HAL to say that the Veranda's on the S & R are closer to the SS/Sy/SZ on the Vista class; thus calling them 'suites' and giving them double cruise day credit. Personally I would probably never go below a Superior Veranda Suite, but the A/B on the S & R's are bigger. It would mean I need to swallow the cost of the S on the S & R, but it's not all that tough a pill to swallow. :D

Am I missing something?

Dennis

Dennis no I don't think you are missing anything. We only took a veranda cabin once on the Vista class and figured it was too small. Our preference is now SY but we do also take A AA and B cabins when taking the S and R class ships. We also take full suites when we think we can afford it. All of these get double points. For our upcoming thirty day cruise we will take an A cabin.

I just received an upsell to an SZ guarantee. I noticed that one of the benefits is "one-touch phone concierge service." What exactly does this mean? Are they able to provide services similar to that of the concierge in the Neptune Lounge?

Thanks!

I just received an upsell to an SZ guarantee. I noticed that one of the benefits is "one-touch phone concierge service." What exactly does this mean? Are they able to provide services similar to that of the concierge in the Neptune Lounge?

Thanks!

Almost -- they can make appointments for you -- dinner reservations -- shore excursions.

They just can't change money for you.

Thanks!

Hey Paula - good to hear from you again. We had an SY on the Noordam a couple years back and use the phone concierge services to coordinate things similar to the Neptund concierge. However, the phone concierge is not nearly as good. It usually took a couple of calls to get things done.

Hey Paula - good to hear from you again. We had an SY on the Noordam a couple years back and use the phone concierge services to coordinate things similar to the Neptund concierge. However, the phone concierge is not nearly as good. It usually took a couple of calls to get things done.

Hi Bruce! Thanks to you and KK for the info. That's kind of what I was guessing-- but it still may come in handy. I will be on the Noordam sailing on Aug. 19 and am looking forward to my suite-- but I'm secretly hoping to still get another upgrade to an SC! I know, it's a long shot, but I can hope! :D

Hope you and Sue are doing well!

Hi, my name is Carolyn. We are on the Noordam for the September 28th sailing in the Med. We have a SC suite with access to the Neptune Lounge. Does anyone know if they provide free drinks in this lounge like they do if you are in a suite on Royal Carribean??

No free alcoholic drinks in the Neptune Lounge unless there is a ship sponsered suites cocktail party. You do get great a great coffee machine, water, tea, and various fruit juices and usually iced tea. They are accompanied with continental breakfast items and various yummies throughout the day.

Hi, my name is Carolyn. We are on the Noordam for the September 28th sailing in the Med. We have a SC suite with access to the Neptune Lounge. Does anyone know if they provide free drinks in this lounge like they do if you are in a suite on Royal Carribean??

Sorry, if you mean alcoholic drinks, the answer is no. Only coffee, iced tea, and a fruit drink like cranberry. No cocktails.

Exceptional coffee/cappuchino, teas, juices and water. But no alcoholic drinks.

Maxout, Thanks for your reply! WOW, we are big time Royal Caribbean suite cruisers and they have a wonderful "happy hour" time in their "suite" lounge. They also have wonderful breakfast, hor'dorves and fruit, etc throughout the day. Really expected it on HAL. I'm sure we will adjust! Thanks again.

All Suites.

So S and R Class it's anything above a BC with the exception of VEENDAM'S BQ rooms (they are classified and priced as verandah staterooms, not verandah suites.

Vista and Signature Class it's anything above an SZ

Thanks to you, I was able to get my Mariner status straightened after my Maasdam Cruise where I booked a Verandah Suite, but not Deluxe.

Just an FYI...

A lot of the upgrade offers to suites often state that you will not receive double days as part of the offer.

This may explain why some people have been seeing days and others have not.

Senaznom -you are correct. We got an upsell to a deluxe verandah last Dec. and were not given the double cruise days.

However, the Oct cruise on the Maasdam was a verandah suite (BA) which we paid in full for, so got the double cruise days.

Senaznom -you are correct. We got an upsell to a deluxe verandah last Dec. and were not given the double cruise days.

However, the Oct cruise on the Maasdam was a verandah suite (BA) which we paid in full for, so got the double cruise days.

Ahh, that's what the "fine print" in the mariner pages means. The explanation of double days says something about paying "full price." Considering the way prices can change, I wondered what that means. I guess any published price is OK, but an upsell doesn't "count."

Did I get that right?

Ahh, that's what the "fine print" in the mariner pages means. The explanation of double days says something about paying "full price." Considering the way prices can change, I wondered what that means. I guess any published price is OK, but an upsell doesn't "count."

Did I get that right?

That's what we were told when we asked our Holland America Personal Cruise Consultant.

Can someone tell me if course by course dining can be accommodated in a deluxe verandah suite on the Veendam? And if yes can You share your experience on how this is done (ordering, which restaurant applies, process for getting the next course, etc.)? We don't like formal nights and thought it might be nice to dine on our balcony.

On our last cruise, we were upsold the penthouse and booked course by course dining. It was wonderful. I found out later on the cc board that it is also available to Deluxe Verandah's!! :) Go see your concierge and tell her/him you would like to do this. They need to know at least the day before.

I suspect they move in a card table or something unless you are eating on the verandah. You order off the MDR menu (easy since you get the menus delivered to your suite each day). it was very, very nice.

Definitely talk to the concierge early in the cruise. and enjoy:):)

Thanks so much for the insight on course by course dining. We leave tomorrow on the Veendam and would very much enjoy skipping the 2 formal nights by ordering by course in our room. Also did not know we get the menus for the next day in our rooms the night before. Always something new I learn on these boards.

Thanks so much for the insight on course by course dining. We leave tomorrow on the Veendam and would very much enjoy skipping the 2 formal nights by ordering by course in our room. Also did not know we get the menus for the next day in our rooms the night before. Always something new I learn on these boards.

All deluxe verandahs and the penthouse get the menus each day. Great way to plan and great souvenir too. worthwhile if you are booking a Pinnacle. If there is something there you don't want to miss and assuming it is possible, you can change your reservation.

Have a great cruise. Suites rule :D:D

All deluxe verandahs and the penthouse get the menus each day. Great way to plan and great souvenir too. worthwhile if you are booking a Pinnacle. If there is something there you don't want to miss and assuming it is possible, you can change your reservation.

Have a great cruise. Suites rule :D:D

Does this apply to the SZ-SS categories as well?

Thanks for any info!

Does this apply to the SZ-SS categories as well?

Thanks for any info!

I don't think so either. i believe it has to be arranged with the concierge. But, by all means, call and ask if it's possible. i didn't know it was for the Deluxe Verandah so you learn new things every day. i don't know if there would be enough room in the Superior Verandah for course by course dining though. :eek:

Archived