Silversea and Seabourn help..

tprime76

I am cross posting this in both the Seabourn and Silversea forums in hopes that we can get a point of view from fans of both lines. We have cruised 16 times on mass market lines (Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, etc.), with 4 additional booked and are interested in giving ultra luxury small ship cruising next spring. I have listed below the two cruises we are considering and the prices are similar enough that difference is irrelevant. At the time of the cruise we will both be 34 years old and are aware we will probably be the youngest on ANY ship we choose. On neither ship will we choose a balcony since we believe that on a ship of either size we will spend all of our non sleeping time on deck. I realize that every cruise will be different for each person, but just looking for some guidance. Thanks for everyone’s help

Seabourn Legend

7 Day

St Thomas – Marigot, St Martin - Jost Van Dyke, BVI – St. John’s Antigua – Gustavia, St. Barths – Basseterre, St. Kitts – Prickly Pear Island – St Thomas

Positives – Great Itinerary, Very Small Ship

Negatives – Old Ship

Silversea Whisper

7 Day

Barbados – Castries, St. Lucia – At Sea – Gustavia, St. Barths – St. John’s Antigua – Marigot, St, Martin – Spanish Town, BVI – San Juan

Positives – Newer ship and recently refurbished

Negatives – Difficult flights to get there

Some say that Seabourn's service is a bit better than Silversea's. Since we gave up on SB years ago, I have no recent experience to go on. But we did just get back from a cruise on Silver Whisper, and we were very happy.

I think you would find either line a big step up in every department except entertainment, which will be more limited than you are used to. The big problem is that, having experienced the best, you will always be (at least a tiny bit) dissatisfied with non-luxury lines.

Some say that Seabourn's service is a bit better than Silversea's. Since we gave up on SB years ago, I have no recent experience to go on. But we did just get back from a cruise on Silver Whisper, and we were very happy.

Why did you give up on SB years ago? This really is a tough decision since it is like deciding, after years of driving midlevel sedans, that you are going to buy a high end sports car without driving it (or even sitting in it).

We had one terrible cruise -- our first with SB -- and never went back. In fairness to SB, the line had just been take over by Carnival. But the staff was demotivated, service was sub-par, and we returned to SS with a sigh of relief. I'm sure SB's much better now, but as with all customer-service organizations, you only need one bad experience to lose a customer forever.

I just responded to your question on the Seabourn board and thought it would make sense to also add it to this thread.

In the end, my recommendation to you will be to try both cruise lines at some point in time.

Since I believe it's good to try diffrerent cruise lines overtime as you have done on your previous cruises it would seem that for this specific cruise you might want to go with Seabourn as it has the itinerary that you prefer and the flghts would be better based on what you have said. Then another time try Silversea when the itinerary is the one you prefer.

The Seabourn triplets are quite unique. Yes, they are older but sailing on a 200 passenger ship is a unique experience as it is quite intimate even more so than say a 350 passenger ship and something quite unique to epxerience and it seems like this is the cruise to do just that.

And remember just like a fine wine there is nothing wrong with an older ship.

Keith

I disagree with your dismissal of a balcony as unimportant. You may think that on a smaller ship you can find places to be. At 34 years old I'm sure you and SO have a relationship that can be nurtured by quality time together. A balcony on a cruise certainly qualifies. Whatever you choose remember the flights can be a problem no matter what. Once on the cruise it's you and SO.

Enjoy.

I agree that a balcony is not necessary on a small ship. We have stopped booking balconies. On our last three cruises when we paid for a balcony, we could not use it because of the smokers. You can find plenty of spaces for some outside alone time on any of these ships.

I agree that a balcony is not necessary on a small ship. We have stopped booking balconies. On our last three cruises when we paid for a balcony, we could not use it because of the smokers. You can find plenty of spaces for some outside alone time on any of these ships.

Your post is scarey (about smoking). Regent does not allow smoking on balconies -- but, we are quite interested in trying SS or SB. I would think (don't know as a fact) that the smaller ships with itineraries longer than a week or so would cater to seniors who are able to take longer cruises. Not sure how that would work for the younger crowd. Right now, we would only consider Silver Spirit or Seabourn Sojourn based on reviews, size, etc.

Hotroot, were your cruises on Silversea? We have done MANY Silversea cruises, on all the ships except PAII, ALWAYS with balcony, and have never been bothered by smoke. The balconies have wonderful advantages, as I posted recently on another thread: "On balconies: This was the major reason we didn't return to Seabourn. We loved Seabourn on our first cruise, but were blown away by Silversea on the next because of an equivalent experience plus the balconies. Being able to dash up on deck is not the same as breakfasting or dining on your own private balcony, or watching the Seine and its villages go slowly by, or seeing the glories of Istanbul pass you at night from your own balcony. Or watching the stars with your supplied binoculars. And I won't even stress the magnificent sunsets. And watching the Americas Cup races in New Zealand from your balcony with a cold beer and commentary heard from your TV is amazing. Now that Seabourn has new ships with balconies we may try them again sometime, but Silversea is a very tough act to follow."

Dieter, absolutely love your wonderful description of how Debbie and you enjoyed your SS balcony on many, many (believe over 200 days) SS cruises--remarkably well said considering your Navy background :)

Well Seasoned - We have dealt with smokers on SilverSeas, Seabourn, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, HAL, NCL and every other cruise line. I do not sail on large ships any more because I do need my balcony to get away from the crowds. I have never sailed on Regent. If SilverSeas or Seabourn want to give me a free upgrade to a balcony, I am happy to take it; but, I will never pay for one again. A balcony is wonderful IF you don't have any smokers in your section of the ship or if you are a smoker. But, if your balcony is on the "wrong" side of the ship, you may not see a thing.

Well Seasoned - We have dealt with smokers on SilverSeas, Seabourn, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, HAL, NCL and every other cruise line. I do not sail on large ships any more because I do need my balcony to get away from the crowds. I have never sailed on Regent. If SilverSeas or Seabourn want to give me a free upgrade to a balcony, I am happy to take it; but, I will never pay for one again. A balcony is wonderful IF you don't have any smokers in your section of the ship or if you are a smoker. But, if your balcony is on the "wrong" side of the ship, you may not see a thing.

On a different thread a poster offered the idea of the cruiseline designating some sections of balconies as either smoking/nonsmoking. I'm sure this would hamper the cruiseline somewhat in flexibility to move people around in order to maximize booking, but it seems like an obvious and logical way to eliminate the endless debates over smoking on balconies.

It seems as if any cruiseline which took this up would, at the cost of some additional effort (making sure nonsmokers don't get upgraded to smoking balcony or vice versa), be able to solve these conflicts without losing either smoking or nonsmoking clientele.

Lard Greystoke, one problem with your suggestion is that the ships are moving. So, to diminish smoke, the balcony non-smoker cabins would be forward, and the balcony smoker cabins midship. Well, the main reason for booking midship is increased stability, so people really worried about smoke would be far forward and less stable. As I've said previously, I always book midship for greater stability, and I've never been bothered by smoke on many SS balcony cruises, so I hope that things are kept the way they are.

I did hear that one cruise line (I think it was RCCL) now puts smokers on one side of the ship and nonsmokers on the other. We were once sitting on our balcony and ash from a smoker above landed on our clothes and burned a hole. I will only pay for a balcony if I am guaranteed smoking will not be found on my side of the ship = on any cruise line. Since this is a SS thread, I will add that on the next two SS cruises we are booked on, we have a window cabin. Now, if SS wants to upgrade us to a balcony for free, I will take it in a minute.

Dear friends:

I agree with Keith that you should give both lines a try at some point in time.

I'd like to throw another aspect at you ......

The large, mass-market lines basically own the Caribbean -- it is their territory.

My opinion would be to do a Caribbean cruise in a suite on a line like Celebrity (Solstice, Eclipse, Equinox) -- if you want a step up from the standard Caribbean cruise on a large ship in a normal room -- and save Seabourn and Silversea for more of an adventure, taking advantage of the fact that both of these lines go to Europe, South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, etc. in such a memorable way that no mass market large ship can accomplish.

Of course, if your dates and vacation time only limit yourself to a time of year where Caribbean sailings prevail on all the lines, then by all means try the luxury lines in the Caribbean.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I did hear that one cruise line (I think it was RCCL) now puts smokers on one side of the ship and nonsmokers on the other. We were once sitting on our balcony and ash from a smoker above landed on our clothes and burned a hole. I will only pay for a balcony if I am guaranteed smoking will not be found on my side of the ship = on any cruise line. Since this is a SS thread, I will add that on the next two SS cruises we are booked on, we have a window cabin. Now, if SS wants to upgrade us to a balcony for free, I will take it in a minute.

I'm sorry, but IMHO that begs the question: which is more important - being in a nonsmoking environment or getting an upgrade?

Archived