Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

Terry, It's great to see your pictures again. DW and I loved this trip, as you may remember from way earlier in this thread we took it either 1-2 years earlier than you on the Wind. I also have many pics but have absolutely no idea how to post them on CC so others can enjoy them. Mine are all stored in Picassa- and just to lend enjoyment I'm a Canon fan. Btw, in Bergen the rain came down sideways, but, at the North Cape, it was sunny and 70f and we enjoyed the midnight sun.

joysav: Great trip report and photographs' date=' and really looking forward to going up around Scandinavia soon. Unfortunately the better half has broken down after perfect health for 67 years. Keyhole on his knee Serious work on the left and next week on his right shoulder and a hip replacement in a couple of months, But he should be right for another 20 years after all of that. The other thing I find really strange is the people who design these Ships don't put enough good suites down low and in the middle ( Center of Gravity ) Deck 7 on Silver Shadow/Whisper is close but even better if it was down on Deck 6. Joy[/quote']

Appreciate the postings and nice comments from newlondon and Joy. It's been fun sharing the beauty and glories that were there along that great Norway coast, etc. Hope things progress for Joy and her husband's good health. Need to get that body "fine-tuning" done to allow for many more future travel miles.

Yes, understand those "technical issues" can be challenging. Good luck to newlondon in getting those things solved with Picassa. During the past week, I've been going through two unique soap operas.

First, Wednesday of last week my MacBook Pro went "funky", took it into the Apple store, they needed to have the laptop overnight, replaced the hard drive, upgrading to the new 750 gig optical memory, all at no added cost. BUT, then there was the added effort and time getting things moved/restored from the back-up memory hard drive, restoring settings, etc., etc. About six months of recent pictures (including many with our now 20-month-old grandson) were discovered to be lost, got those found after a number of phone calls with top Apple staff, then getting some other software issues fixed, etc., etc. Not easy, but it seems we are now all 100%.

Second, our electric in Ohio went out late Friday afternoon and did not come back on until later last night. That was five days plus without power during one of the super hottest periods of the summer. Spent lots of time at the air conditioned Apple store getting computer things fixed, backed-up, etc. BUT, we're surviving with power, cool air, food, etc., today and hopefully for the coming days and weeks.

This posting is now over 75,000 views. Happy with those who have tuned-in, made comments, asked questions, etc. Keep it coming!!! Happy to share more, answer any added questions, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 90,782 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, I love seeing Terry's pictures. In some ways, I am sorry that we won't be able to see his pictures and information from New Zealand and Australia before we go there this January since he is not going until the following year.

Keep up the great work Terry.

• 1 month later...
As usual, I love seeing Terry's pictures. In some ways, I am sorry that we won't be able to see his pictures and information from New Zealand and Australia before we go there this January since he is not going until the following year. Keep up the great work Terry.

Appreciate the nice comments above from our Chicago/Florida friend. Sorry, I can't get to NZ and Australia sooner than your trip. Hopefully, you'll do some posting of your trip and what you liked, did and enjoyed there. That will be helpful to us as we approach early 2014. For our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, 14 days, finishing in Auckland, we have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

Coming in the Sunday New York Times tomorrow morning, they have this headline: "Scandinavia on $125 a Day" by their "Frugal Traveler" writer. Among the highlights: "Scandinavia presents a whole new challenge for budget travelers. Asian cities can be pricey, but that can be offset by venturing into smaller towns. In Scandinavia, shocking prices are not just a downtown phenomenon, but extend across urban areas and even into the countryside. Not that you shouldn’t go. Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland have much to offer, especially during the summer: fjords, fishing, wide-open spaces for hiking and camping, not to mention clean and culture-rich cities, dramatic evidence of a Viking past and — in Lapland — the richness of the indigenous Sami present. There are also festivals galore to celebrate the almost (and in some places actual) nonstop daylight. All this in a region where everything seems to work efficiently and nearly everyone speaks solid English."

He suggest that you need to modify your expectations. He spent this past June and July traveling the region and urges rethinking what a budget travel really means. From his eight weeks in Scandinavia, he averages $125 a day, but the costs in each country varied widely. Among his suggestions:

1. Choose Your Route Carefully

2. Bring a Tent, Join the Crowd

3. Say Goodbye to Waiters

4. Seek Refuge in Museums

5. Make the Most of Free Thrills

6. Be Polite but Persistent

For each of these six tips, he gives specific details and background on what to do, how to save, etc. His tips and ideas might not fit everyone's interest and/or travel style, but they offer a good perspective on the cost structure there and why things are so costly in this region that offers so much to see and do.

He notes that most people assume Norway costs so much because of its high tax rates. He says there are more reason than just the 25 percent value-added tax on most products. He says the real reasons are labor costs and agricultural protectionism. He provides more details including noting: "You don’t have cheap labor in Norway." and “All the things you want as a tourist — hotels, restaurants — are labor-intensive.” Plus: "Another factor is the high tariffs on agricultural imports that keep Norwegian farms in business."

He starts this comprehensive article by noting how he had thought he had found a six-pack of Carlsberg beer for under $5. BUT, that was to get only one can in a Kiwi Minipris supermarket in Oslo. This cost structure is a good reason to be doing the Baltics and/or Norway Coast via a cruise ship in order to lessen some of these high, high land costs for food, lodging, etc.

In Bergen for our cost in July 2010 for a beer was $13 plus. The music and setting was worth it, especially since my wife and I shared that pricy beer. It was a million-dollar environment to be experiencing this great town with perfect weather that day we were there in Bergen.

Check out the full story at:

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/scandinavia-on-125-a-day/?ref=travel

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,408 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 1 month later...

Bergen was one of our key stops in Norway and I sent a note a few weeks back to our guide who gave our group a tour in this charming and historic city. I asked Anne Lien how things were doing there and for her country in general. Among the information she shared back include: "Bergen is experiencing a boost regarding oil industry, with a heavy demand for engineers, and several new oil fields being discovered. The marine industry is also expanding here." Normally, more of the oil production focus/base has been farther to the south around the town of Stavanger.

Prior to our visit to Oslo in 2008 and the Norway coast in 2010, I had done lots of reading/research, plus talking with an Ohioan from the Akron area who had been the U.S. Ambassador there 2001-2005. With the huge oil revenues, their economy was very good with no national debt and a "sovereign fund" (or savings account) equal to $100K per resident in their country. Anne's update said: "Norway's economy is excellent at the moment, the unemployment rate is 2.5% and still declining in its rate. We are in a very fortunate position compared to the rest of Europe." But with such low unemployment and high tax rates, it makes visiting there, land and food cots, etc., fairly high. Sorry!

Their King has had a long history in their nation and has broader powers and influence than your average Europe monarch. Anne noted: "The King is fine, and so is his family. Next year we will have national elections (September 2013), and the parties to the Right may take over after 2 periods with prime minister Stoltenberg and his red-green government."

On their weather this past summer, she noted: "Climate however is getting worse, a quite bad summer, much rain, and now a very early and wet fall."

Good and interesting background that updates their economic status versus the struggles in many other parts of Europe. Norway is not part of the Euro. Their currency is the Norwegian Krone. As per today's Wall Street Journal, for each dollar you get 5.6838 NK. In July 2008, it was 5.08 NK to the dollar. In early 2000 to 2002, it was valued in the higher range of 8 NK to 9 NK to the dollar. For July 7, 2010, it was 6.425 NK to the dollar and July 7, 2011, it was 5.391 DK to the dollar. Lots of ups and downs on the value of the dollar.

You can reach Anne at http://www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,229 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

This afternoon on our Central Ohio PBS station, WOSU-TV, they had on-air several travel shows by Richard Bangs called "Adventures With a Purpose". This one show of interest was titled "Norway: Quest for the Viking Spirit". This hour-long program examined Viking heritage, plus had various views and ties-in from Oslo, Alta, Kirkenes, Tromso, Trodheim, Bergen and Lofoten Islands. There were lots of views of the deep fjords, impressive mountains and thriving cities shown in this high-definition video. The author/host noted that when the Vikings set out from here thousands of years ago, they struck fear across Europe. Today, however, Norway is the home of the Nobel Peace Center and is one of the most eco-friendly countries in the world. Very costly, too, but that was not mentioned on this show.

Much was shown on this program of the experiences and views along the emerald Sognefjord, considered one of the most beautiful places on earth. We agree!! Another review notes that Richard Bangs has spent more than 30 years as an explorer and is a pioneer for travel that that bill itself as "making a difference". Expedia.com called him "Indiana Jones with a conscience". This is my first time seeing anything from this series by Richard Bangs and I was impressed with the quality of this PBS program in the land of the Norsemen. You might check out your library to get a copy to see this show, or it can be order from Amazon, etc. It brought back nice memories from our July 2010 cruising up and down that coast as detailed below in the live/blog.

If you are considering a 2013 or 2014 cruise to Norway, checking out this program might be worth it. Below are a few of my pictures grouped together from these areas shown on the PBS program.

From the higher hill areas of Bergen, here is the view of the rooftops and other harbor area places.:

BergenRoofTops2Ships.jpg

Here is one of our early Lofoten Islands pictures. Here is one of the valley views as we drove south towards "A".

LofotenEarlyValleyViewRedBldg.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Trondheim’s top and most historic attraction is their Cathedral. Nidaros Cathedral was built from 1070 and is the most important Gothic monument in Norway. The Norway King is still crowned here. This is the front of Trondheim’s Cathedral that was featured on the PBS program. This is Scandinavia’s largest medieval building and has a central, 321-foot-high tower.:

TrondheimCathFrontFull.jpg

Here is one of highlights from the Flam train ride, including the views of the valleys, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Terry, amongst your many varied and wonderful photo's of life onboard the Cloud there appears to be one thing missing. Children. Were there none or is your camera child shy?

And I must say that the photo's of fellow guests totally fits the expected profile of SS repeat travellers.

Terry, amongst your many varied and wonderful photo's of life onboard the Cloud there appears to be one thing missing. Children. Were there none or is your camera child shy?

And I must say that the photo's of fellow guests totally fits the expected profile of SS repeat travellers.

smiley-gen069.gif

You are ornery Silver Spectre! ;)

smiley-signs035.gif

We actually had 3-4 well behaved children with us. A Spanish family as I recall.

Kids seemed to keep a pretty low profile.

Greg

Terry We have enjoyed your photos very much and will be doing this cruise next June/July. Could you please post the link to your web page with all the photos and commentary? Many thanks. V

gdlamberth: We actually had 3-4 well behaved children with us. A Spanish family as I recall. Kids seemed to keep a pretty low profile. Greg

Silver Spectre: Terry' date=' amongst your many varied and wonderful photo's of life onboard the Cloud there appears to be one thing missing. Children. Were there none or is your camera child shy? And I must say that the photo's of fellow guests totally fits the expected profile of SS repeat travellers. [/quote']

For Emtbsam, this posting is that exact location and place to see the many pictures, port details, ship experiences, etc. Just go back and start on the first page of this live/blog and then do page two, three, etc.

As Greg noted, there were several younger children on our cruise. Below is one picture that shows the cute and extremely well-behaved young girl traveling from Belgium with her parents and grandparents. No problems with any of the children (or adults) on this cruise.

Yes, the age profile on this cruise was a little older, but very active and engaged. Great fellow cruisers!! This type of cruise does attract those more experienced travelers who have already done earlier many of the basics in the Carib, Med, Baltics, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 107,441 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

The weather was wonderfully upper 60’s for breakfast on our first sea day sailing to Norway. Here’s our dining view with another cruise ship sailing south from fjord country. You can see at the round table the three-generations with this family from Belgium. Nice people!!:

CPHBreakfastViews.jpg

• 1 month later...

The shore excursion offered by Celebrity for the Flam Train includes 2 1/2 hours of strenuous walking after the train ride to the top. Is it possible to do the train trip without the strenuous walk through the cruise line or must you book the train yourself? I have heard that the ships take over the train and you cannot do it independently. HELP! Trish

The shore excursion offered by Celebrity for the Flam Train includes 2 1/2 hours of strenuous walking after the train ride to the top. Is it possible to do the train trip without the strenuous walk through the cruise line or must you book the train yourself? I have heard that the ships take over the train and you cannot do it independently. HELP! Trish

While we did not do our Norway cruise with Celebrity (but used them as noted below for the Med last year), it appears the "strenuous" walk would could be an option. After you get to the top at the hotel, you might do that scheduled, longer walk . . . OR . . . just hang out there around this hotel, do some shorter, nearby walk options, etc., BEFORE going back down on your train with your group. The ship does not take over the whole train in most cases. Depending on their bookings on that day, they might have a number of seats/cars being used, but each of the trains are also mixed with other customers who booked through other ways.

You could buy your ticket on your own, BUT, however, it all depends on how many ships (and their size) that are in this small port on each different day. Personally, I would NOT want to gamble, hoping to buy a ticket by just walking up to purchase, hoping to get the right timing to go up and back on the Flam train. You can buy these tickets in advance through the Norway rail system website and/or through RailEurope.com. Lots of options to consider!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 110,005 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 86,621 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We are taking a royal caribbean cruise in May. We are taking 2 cruises on their ship back to back. The cruise leaves out of Copenhagen (of which we will be spending 2 days prior to the cruise leaving there). If you have places we must see in Copenhagen, please let me know :)

Our first cruise will go to Flam, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen. We are trying to limit the number of excursion as they are soooo expensive! Out of those ports, is there a specific excursion that is must-do? We are hoping to walk most the ports so if there is a port that you think we can't walk, let me know :)

The second cruise will be going to Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Tallin, and Helsinki. We have heard that St. Petersburg is a must do excursion and it looks like Peterhof is a place I would definitely want to see. We will be in St. Petersburg from 7am-11pm. If you have other recommendations we'd appreciate it. If you know of a specific excursion that are also must-do at the other ports let me know :) Sounds like you have traveled the world!

Hi, We are taking a royal caribbean cruise in May. We are taking 2 cruises on their ship back to back. The cruise leaves out of Copenhagen (of which we will be spending 2 days prior to the cruise leaving there). If you have places we must see in Copenhagen, please let me know :) Our first cruise will go to Flam, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen. We are trying to limit the number of excursion as they are soooo expensive! Out of those ports, is there a specific excursion that is must-do? We are hoping to walk most the ports so if there is a port that you think we can't walk, let me know :) The second cruise will be going to Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Tallin, and Helsinki. We have heard that St. Petersburg is a must do excursion and it looks like Peterhof is a place I would definitely want to see. We will be in St. Petersburg from 7am-11pm. If you have other recommendations we'd appreciate it. If you know of a specific excursion that are also must-do at the other ports let me know. Sounds like you have traveled the world!

Appreciate your excellent follow-up questions and nice comments. Lots of wonderful options in the Baltics and along the Norway coast. My strong caution, however, is that in a few of these places, you will need to "invest" some money in the right tours in the best locations in order to maximize the "experience".

If you try too hard to "pinch pennies" and save money, you will end up being very disappointed by missing lots of the key attractions and "stars" that make things great in these areas. In certain of these areas, the local labor and tax costs are high. That is part of what adds to the high tour costs. In some ports, you can do it on your own. For others, making the logistics work in a time-efficient manner is impossible without doing or having some private or cruise ship tour arrangements. I wish there was an "easy" or quick answer. It does vary among the various ports in this area of the world.

Clearly, St. Petersburg is one of the superstar locations. Cruise ship tours with 30-40 people on a bus can be done, but can have serious draw-backs. If you only have one day in St. Petersburg that adds to the challenge in making things work out smoothly to see and do what you most seek and desire. Below are just a few examples from my pictures for the great things to see there in that historic Russian capital, etc.

Tell me more about your party size/make-up, budget, ages, personal and travel interests, past Europe travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Glad so many have tuned into this live/blog. Now over 90,000 views. Still going strong. Happy to share any needed info, etc. Keep it coming!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,566 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!! Super love this city with so much to see and enjoy!!:

Boat.jpg

My husband and I will be traveling alone (Age 26, and I'm 24). He has been to Europe and saw most of Norway when he was in his early teens. I have never been to Europe. Depending on the history, we are usually okay with going somewhere like museums. I LOVE castles, gardens, and just pretty buildings/scenery. Overall we are open to most things.

The only things we are thinking of doing so far is the Flam Railway. That's our only thing for Norway. In Alesund we are thinking of doing the hike up the 400 steps to Aksala hilltop on our own. No plans for Geiranger or Bergen. Heard you could walk a lot of it on your own.

As for the second cruise, there is one excursion offered in St. petersburg we are interested in and it is a 9.5 hour tour to Peterhof and the Hermitage. We are in St. Petersburg from 7am-11pm so don't know if we could catch a second excursion or not. We know having only one day in St. Petersburg is hard so we'd love to see as much of it as we can! We will just be walking Tallin, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland. We have not decided yet on Stockholm. If there is a must do there let us know. We may just jump on some the city tour buses at some of these ports just to hear some history.

My husband is very excited to take pictures at all of the ports between the 2 cruises with our camera we bought. If time, I'd love to do a little shopping to pick up some souvenirs at any of the ports.

My husband and I will be traveling alone(Age 26, and I'm 24). He has been to Europe and saw most of Norway when he was in his early teens. I have never been to Europe. [Depending on the history, we are usually okay with going some where like museums. I LOVE castles], gardens, and just pretty buildings/scenery. Overall we are open to most things. The only things we are thinking of doing so far is the Flam Railway. That's our only thing for Norway. In Alesund we are thinking of doing the hike up the 400 steps to Aksala hilltop on our own. No plans for Geiranger or Bergen. Heard you could walk a lot of it on your own. As for the second cruise, there is one excursion offered in St. petersburg we are interested in and it is a 9.5 hour tour to Peterhof and the Hermitage. We are in St. Petersburg from 7am-11pm so don't know if we could catch a second excursion or not. We know having only one day in St. Petersburg is hard so we'd love to see as much of it as we can! We will just be walking Tallin, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland. We have not decided yet on Stockholm. If there is a must do there let us know. We may just jump on some the city tour buses at some of these ports just to hear some history. My husband is very excited to take pictures at all of the ports between the 2 cruises with our camera we bought. If time, I'd love to do a little shopping to pick up some souvenirs at any of the ports.

Appreciate to wishfulltravelers all of the added background info. Very helpful. For the Norway Coast portion of your "adventure", your plan/priorities for the Flam rail trip and walking up and around Alesund can work very, very well. Yes, Bergen can be done very well by just walking around, exploring those fairly compact areas, going the mountain-side rail trip up, etc. Super lots to love and see in Bergen.

But for Geiranger, you might consider some type of tour (private or ship) for there. Why? Geiranger is very, very small. The options to do and see there are rather limited. In my book (and from our experience), the great highlight there was getting "up country" to see more from higher up, in the surrounding areas, etc. That gives a better sampling for other sights and areas than just the water-level unique aspects for this country and its famed fjords.

For the Baltics, you can do much on your own for Tallinn and Helsinki. Stockholm is very special with a wide range of great options.

If you do just the one ship tour for St. Petersburg for the Peterhof and Hermitage, that could be "OK", maybe, kind of, if, if. Given your interests in the love for "castles, gardens, and just pretty buildings/scenery", however, there is so much of these "stars" there in these areas of Northern Europe. BUT, some tours can solve your logistical challenges, speeding and making more efficient your time there.

In St. Petersburg, with a little investment and cost, you could see so much, much more there in that only one day there. Cruise ship tours tend to be large (30-40 people) where lots of time is wasted getting off of and on the bus at the speed of the S-L-O-W-E-S-T speed person. Not fun, inspiring and/or time-efficient. In a private group of four or six people, you can do and see so much more in a more interesting and enjoyable manner.

Have you read through parts of this earlier live/blog regarding your options in Flam, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen? Lots of tips and ideas there for those four areas.

When in May are you planning these two cruises? Ideally for parts of Norway, later June and July would allow better weather odds. Are you locked into this timing?

Have you check out and done any searches on the Northern Europe Board? Lots of great info and insights there. It's at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Where are you from? What other interests and questions come to mind?

Below are a few other of my visuals for ideas and places to consider. Lots of great opportunities to get many wonderful photographic memories. You can buy gifts in these ports, but many are not cheap. In Tallinn, you might find some of the better "buys".

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,656 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the historic Gamia Stan area starts. Walking around in the Gamia Stan is wonderful as you soak up its history, charm and interesting architecture. Lots of fun outdoor dining places there for lunch, etc.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. :

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design.:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide from Anastasia, we view this spectacular reception “ballroom”, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Here we are inside a nice linen shop near the City Hall.:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Thanks for all your help! We are going to be traveling from California. As to the timing, we are restricted to the timing due to my work. They won't let me off basically June-August. We are going Mid-May through June 1st. I know the weather will probably be a bit colder and more rain, but we are doing this as an early year anniversary (our year anniversary is actually august) and I was determined to go to Europe this year! I will look more in to St. petersburg tours and maybe something in stockholm. Did you guys just walk stockholm? if so anything in particular we should walk to? Thanks for all the information on Norway!!!

Thanks for all your help! We are going to be traveling from California. As to the timing, we are restricted to the timing due to my work. They won't let me off basically June-August. We are going Mid-May through June 1st. I know the weather will probably be a bit colder and more rain, but we are doing this as an early year anniversary (our year anniversary is actually august) and I was determined to go to Europe this year! I will look more in to St. petersburg tours and maybe something in stockholm. Did you guys just walk stockholm? if so anything in particular we should walk to? Thanks for all the information on Norway!!!

BAR3543: The composer Edward Greig's home and area is great in Norway. In Stocjholm go to see the statues and home at Millesgarden is a must see.

Excellent suggestions from BAR3543. Appreciate the added info/reactions from our California friend. Understand now your timing and that you understand the limitations/challenges for May in this part of the world. It can work' date=' but other times could be more ideal. Since you are [i']"determined to go to Europe this year!"[/i], have you consider the many, many great options in the Med in May?? Great history, architecture, charm and culture there, plus better weather. See more on some of the great port stops from our mid 2011 cruise in the Med out of Barcelona.

On Stockholm, we did a brief ship tour in the am that got us easily to the wonderful and unique Vasa Museum (see picture and info below), did an overview of highlights in this charming town, etc. As this was the end of our cruise and we were staying over an added day there, we had two full days for this charming town. Stockholm has lots of interesting history, Royal background, culture, great architecture range, etc., etc. You can't do it "ALL" in only one day in Stockholm, over even half of the options/potentials. Private tours are very expensive here. Much is about logistics. Depending on how many ships and tourists are in town that day, a hop-on, hop-off bus is possible or it might very crowded, slow and busy. Always trade-offs. Never easy, simple and cheap in this town. What's more important . . . your time or money?

After the Vasa and introduction via the ship tour in the first morning, we did the remaining day and a half on our own, walking around there, etc. Did a couple of cab rides, did boat tour around the islands, etc. Lots of fun and interesting things to see and do in this city.

Other questions and reactions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,721 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

At the Vasa Museum with this large salvaged ship from the 1600’s. This is their website: http://vasamuseet.se/en/ Taking almost two years (1626-1627) to build Vasa, carpenters, sawyers, smiths, ropelayers, sailmakers, painters, carvers, gun carriage makers and other specialists struggled to complete the navy’s great, new ship. The king, Gustav II Adolf, visited the shipyard to inspect the work. With a hull built of more than a thousand oak trees with 64 cannon, masts over 50 meters high and hundreds of painted and gilded sculptures, this was a spectacular ship. BUT, it was too heavy and sunk sailing out from the harbor.:

VasaSideDetails.jpg

VasaFront.jpg

Connected to the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view from the bridge to the Vasa Museum of the many different buildings along this grand Strandvagen boulevard. Completed in time for the 1897 Stockholm World’s Fair, it became known as one of the most prestigious addresses in town.:

StockhHarborBldg.jpg

While at the Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

1A-StHolm-GuardsMarching.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

Nice flowers and historic buildings in Stockholm:

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the new edition of National Geographic Traveler that just arrived in the past week, they have a cover story on: "Europe's Best Small Ports." The story focuses on six ports, two of which we have been fortunate enough to have visited and enjoyed. One of these is Alesund along the western Norway coast with these story highlights: "Old meets new in Ålesund, Norway, where a historic port was rebuilt in art nouveau style in the early 20th century. Ålesund could be the backdrop for a Nordic fairy tale—with a modern plot twist. Rugged North Sea islands with mountains loom in every direction. Ålesund is the quintessential Scandinavian seaport. But the town’s unusual concentration of Jugendstil, or art nouveau architecture, was built after a devastating fire in 1904 making it a design destination. Turrets, towers, decorative flourishes of the city’s distinctive architecture and its cobblestone streets highlight the walk. Insider’s Tip: Climb the 418 steps to the top of local mountain Aksla for a sweeping vista of the town center, fjords, and the Sunnmøre Alps. And 'it’s for free'—a bit of a rarity in a notoriously pricey nation. Ålesunders love their svele—a sort of crepe filled with butter and sugar or brunost, a caramelized cheese made from whey—with a cup of strong coffee, a snack that’s popular on local ferries. There are about 120 annual cruise ship calls in this port."

We really enjoyed our visit to Alesund!! Yes, that Aksla viewpoint is wonderful. We did not walk up, having stop there after getting a rental car, going south to Runde Island, riding the ferry, etc., etc.

The other five ports highlighted are Valletta/Malta, Zadar/Croatia, Ajaccio/France, Gdansk/Poland, Tallinn/Estonia and Alesund/Norway. The subhead on this cover story is "Six Secret Harbors to Call You Own."

NGT story, more pictures at:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/europe-small-ports-photos-traveler/

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

We are in the process of planning our Norway cruise of June 29-July 13, 2013.

I have enjoyed all your photos and postings.

Our ports include Stavanger, Gravdal, Longyearbyen, Honningsvag, Tromso, Hellesylt, Geiranger and Bergen.

I have responsibility for determining what to do in Gravdal, Longyearbyen and Honningsvag. Help! Suggestions would be appreciated.

You can email me at pattiemc1953@gmail.com.

Thanks

Pattie

Hi Terry, We are in the process of planning our Norway cruise of June 29-July 13, 2013. I have enjoyed all your photos and postings. Our ports include Stavanger, Gravdal, Longyearbyen, Honningsvag, Tromso, Hellesylt, Geiranger and Bergen. I have responsibility for determining what to do in Gravdal, Longyearbyen and Honningsvag. Help! Suggestions would be appreciated. You can email me at pattiemc1953@gmail.com. Thanks Pattie

Hi, Pattie from Texas!! Appreciate your nice comments and follow-up for your summer 2013 adventure in these great areas. I have dropped you an e-mail, but I like to do as many questions/answers as possible through these Cruise Critic boards. That way the information can be shared with others and help a wider audience.

Either way, the key question centers around some basics such as how many are in your group, those personal interests, past Europe travels, desired must-do priorities, etc. Tell me more. Clearly, I can be most helpful for the Lofoten Islands and around the North Cape. Sorry, I haven't been to Longyearbyen.

Look forward to hearing back from you with lots more specifics on what you seek to experience in these areas.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,626 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Sorry, I haven't been to Longyearbyen.

Terry, we've been there. Not to hijack your expertise, but hope you don't mind if I take a crack at answering that part of the question... We were there in August 2011 when we embarked on our Silver Explorer Arctic cruise.

The highlight of Longyearbyen is the Svalbard museum. It's an hour or maybe less to tour, but the exhibits are interesting. They go over some of the history and they have some exhibits to illustrate what it's like to live as a trapper, miner, etc. in Arctic conditions. There are more impressive Arctic museums elsewhere, though, so if you've seen a few already, it may be redundant.

The town itself is tiny; just one main street running perpendicular to the coast, up the hill; another coastal road connects the town to the pier, and further on, to the airport. There are a few shops which we didn't bother to look at, and a grocery store that we did investigate out of curiosity. Otherwise, hard to spend more than 2 hours in town.

Word of warning: you can't go far out of town on your own without a weapon. Polar bears do roam wild in the area. People get attacked, though it's safe to walk from town back to the dock. Don't know if there are any "tours" offered by the cruise line - would be interesting to see what they'd do in that port, because I don't think there's much in the surrounding area that can be reached by land. The town only owns a few buses, so options are limited; I think our (small) ship of 132 passengers filled all 4 buses.

It's also pretty hard to find information about this part of the world - the only book I could ever find was a Bradt Travel Guide called "Spitzbergen: Svalbard, Franz Josef Land, Jan Mayen" which is of minimal assistance in planning what to do on Longyearbyen. But the history in the book will make for interesting reading during the passage north...

There's a picture or two of the town and museum in my signature below, in the line for Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011; it's the pics2 link. Don't expect too much, though; glad we got to see it, but the rest of Svalbard was much prettier, IMO.