Bring Soda On Board RC since June???

Heard they changed the policy. Heading to my first cruise for my honeymoon in two weeks... Just wondering how i should bring water and soda onto the ship? Carryon? Checked in Luggage? I heard the policy changed June 1st. So wondering if anyone has gotten the stuff on since then.... THanks

Heard they changed the policy. Heading to my first cruise for my honeymoon in two weeks... Just wondering how i should bring water and soda onto the ship? Carryon? Checked in Luggage? I heard the policy changed June 1st. So wondering if anyone has gotten the stuff on since then.... THanks

Walked on the ship for Majesty on 6/18 with water, soda and juice. no problem at all. Plan to do the same thing for our Aug 1st Freedom cruise. alos has juice packed in our luggage. Everything made it just fine

We had a group on the Freedom June 20th....we had a case of water we took to the dock along with our luggage. They put our cabin number on it and it arrived without a problem. Others in our group also brought water as well as pop, and tonic. Had a wonderful time, looks like we will rebook for next year also!

Renee

We bought a Pepsi cube from the grocery store which holds 24 cans. We slapped a luggage tag on it and it made it's way to our cabin just fine. This was on the Explorer mid-June.

I then asked the room steward to remove all of the fridge items that first day so we could store some of the soda in there. The fridge wasn't super cold, but cold enough for the Pepsi.

In Port Canaveral they wouldn't tag ours as luggage. They didn't have a problem with us bringing it onboard, but wouldn't tag it as luggage. We ended up having to put it in a carry-on with wheels and drag it with us until the cabin was ready.

I am really glad to hear this. Back when Soda Cards were less than $30 it made sense to buy them and use the ship's services. But with a $42 card and a 15% "gratuity" added on, that means unlimited soda costs you $51.75. You can get 24 16 ounce bottles at Sams for $13 to $15. That means, in my view, that you'd have to drink more than three cases of diet coke to break even on the soda card. On a 7 day cruise I am just not THAT thirsty.

So when we hit the Serenade in August, we'll be bringing along two twelve packs of Diet Coke.

I am really glad to hear this. Back when Soda Cards were less than $30 it made sense to buy them and use the ship's services. But with a $42 card and a 15% "gratuity" added on, that means unlimited soda costs you $51.75. You can get 24 16 ounce bottles at Sams for $13 to $15. That means, in my view, that you'd have to drink more than three cases of diet coke to break even on the soda card. On a 7 day cruise I am just not THAT thirsty.

So when we hit the Serenade in August, we'll be bringing along two twelve packs of Diet Coke.

I would also note that as of this morning their "official policy" as laid out on the website says you cannot bring aboard either alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages. And then, in the same policy, it says they will inspect water bottles, etc., to see if they contain alcohol. You have to wonder if anyone reads that stuff before they post it.

Aos from Barcelona I had cans of soda in a plastic bag and it went through x-ray fine no questions. Even had them out on the side in the cabin no issues.

I find if you buy your own you can have a variety rather than just diet coke or full sugar stuff.

In Port Canaveral they wouldn't tag ours as luggage. They didn't have a problem with us bringing it onboard, but wouldn't tag it as luggage. We ended up having to put it in a carry-on with wheels and drag it with us until the cabin was ready.

Same thing happened to us at Port Canaveral.

My daughter and I usually purchase individual soda cards but with the price hike we too are wondering if we should on our next cruise. My question is, if you fly into Ft. Lauderdale, how do you get the soda? With airlines charging a fee for extra baggage, I can't see paying to have soda shipped, but I haven't seen anywhere to purchase in the airport terminal. Of course, we've never ventured through the airport once we landed, so....

Thanks.

we sailed on the Explorer 6/24/10 and packed a case of water and 3-4pks of energy drinks in a big duffel bag and checked it in with our luggage and it arrived with all the other luggage with no problems. Im so glad we did that because it was a very hot cruise and it was nice to have the water bottles to take off the ship to the ports. We did have our stateroom attendant empty our mini fridge and used the fridge to keep the water somewhat cool.

Are they really serious about enforcing this? This will be the only cruise company that i am aware of that prohibits non alcoholic beverages.

This is just another drip -drip which has me thinking of moving to another cruise line.

We brought a 24 pk of poland spring water on our 6/24/10 explorer cruise. The porters tagged it at Cape Liberty no problems. It arrived to our stateroom with no issue. Interesting to hear they allowed soda to be brought on board Explorer. Good to know.

Why is it that folks who what to bring on alcohol or a special bottle of wine are blasted as cheap but there is not the same sentiment for folks who want to bring other beverages. I don’t buy the “they don’t carry my brand”. If that is the case – I can say, “ I want to bring very fine and special selections of wine that the ship does not carry.”

I see that many will bring water, juice and other sodas. The ship carries all these things and some are even included (AKA - free)

I don't get it!

M

We will be boarding VOS in Nov to transatlantic Barcelona back to Galveston. Will we have a problem there buying water or soda & bringing it on board? Where can we buy in Barcelona?:confused:

Wonder why the porters at Port Canavel are giving everyone such a hard time?

Things have changed since we cruised last from Port Canaveral. I taped a 12 pack of Dr Pepper and a 12 pack of Barqs together, put a luggage tag on it and it arrived in my cabin with the luggage.

Wonder why the porters at Port Canavel are giving everyone such a hard time?

It appears the porters may be following RCCL instruction. Can we really fault them for doing their job?

M

From the RCCL website

''Food & Beverage

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Why is it that folks who what to bring on alcohol or a special bottle of wine are blasted as cheap but there is not the same sentiment for folks who want to bring other beverages. I don’t buy the “they don’t carry my brand”. If that is the case – I can say, “ I want to bring very fine and special selections of wine that the ship does not carry.”

I see that many will bring water, juice and other sodas. The ship carries all these things and some are even included (AKA - free)

I don't get it!

M

And that used to be the rule - 2 bottles of wine per passenger and I thought it was supposed to be something they didn't carry.

Sorry.....but I do prefer any sort of diet cola but only caffeine free after noon or I can't sleep at night. I prefer it sweetened with splenda but will drink the other stuff.

People do have strong preferences in their soda. I know some people who will only drink Pepsi and not Coke - or the other way around. They will actually skip it if their brand isn't available.

I also don't like "drinking" water or tap water due to the taste. Purified/Distilled/Spring just don't have the chlorinated chemical taste. I will drink tap water in most restaurants...but NOT in Orlando. It tastes horrible to me. Others who drink it regularly get used to the taste.

I DO buy the reasons that people bring their own soda on board unless they are bringing on board what is sold on board.

Gina

They carry a enormous amount of different brands of alcohol so I dont smuggle alcohol I purchase it onboard. They carry very few soda or water brands. I am one that is specific to the brands I drink of water & soda. Rccl does not carry either soda or water I drink, therefore I will not be purchasing either onboard so I bring my own in small quantities and replenish once while in port. Until they turn me away I will continue to provide my own.

Archived