How to organize a Cabin Crawl

We recently joined in on a wine tasting cabin crawl before lifeboat drill. Four people offered there cabins at certain times 1/2hr each all had different size cabins . We all brought carryon bottles of wine it was great we went smallest cabin to largest which was good because we picked up hitchhikers as we went.Also this way after 20 bottles of wine any axe murders forgot any info they learned and where very mello.

Edited by nolimits

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but been searching for some suggestions on cabin crawls! This was a great thread, but need some more advice on a crawl I'm planning for an upcoming cruise.

Here's my situation: the crawl has been very popular and we ended up with 12 cabins (a full range of categories, with unique cabins added in) and currently have over 60 people signed up. So it is going to be huge!

Questions are: how many I should send in each group and how far I should space them out? I'm thinking of groups of ten, leaving every 6-7 minutes, with instructions to spend no more than five minutes in each cabin (want the extra gap to allow for delays). Is ten people too many? With two hosts, there would be 12 in each cabin (would 12 even fit in an inside or the Ben and Jerry's PR?) Also, the five minutes seems short, but with the number of cabins, want to keep folks moving.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but been searching for some suggestions on cabin crawls! This was a great thread, but need some more advice on a crawl I'm planning for an upcoming cruise.

Here's my situation: the crawl has been very popular and we ended up with 12 cabins (a full range of categories, with unique cabins added in) and currently have over 60 people signed up. So it is going to be huge!

Questions are: how many I should send in each group and how far I should space them out? I'm thinking of groups of ten, leaving every 6-7 minutes, with instructions to spend no more than five minutes in each cabin (want the extra gap to allow for delays). Is ten people too many? With two hosts, there would be 12 in each cabin (would 12 even fit in an inside or the Ben and Jerry's PR?) Also, the five minutes seems short, but with the number of cabins, want to keep folks moving.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I think what you have planned here is a very good plan. With a group that size, for the smaller cabins so many will go inside and the rest will wait outside for those to leave and more can go in.

When we have done our's, it was usually the largest suite that had everyone back for snacks and drinks after it was all complete. If a person does not want to offer their cabin for such afterwards, then everyone can finish at one of the bars for the drinks and snacks.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I've organized a couple of crawls with well over 100 participants. Divided them into groups of around 20, leaving 8-10 minutes apart. Those whose cabins we visited were in the first group and stayed in their cabin to host. They then joined the last group to visit the other cabins. That way, everyone gets to see every cabin. As mentioned, people waited in the hall until there was room to get into the cabin. No one stays very long, especially in the smaller, less unique cabins. So 10 in a group spaced 6-7 minutes apart should be great. People have a good time, so no one will get upset if they have wait a bit to get into a cabin. Relax and enjoy!

I've been involved in organizing Cabin Crawls a few times. We never did the drinks, poker run or snacks. But everyone has always enjoyed it. And we have found the more the merrier. Half the fun is going from cabin to cabin and laughing and having a good time getting to 'visit' with all your M&M folks.

I've always tried to have no more than 1 of each cabin type. Unless it was something different. Say a hump balcony versus an aft. We always go from smallest to largest. I also try to plan based on location so we're not running all over the ship anymore than necessary. Time spent in each cabin has ranged from about 15 seconds (poke head in on an inside) to 15+minutes (loft suite). We never told people how long to stay. But most folks get a good look and move one.

We also have any hosts go first and lead the parade to their cabin. We did have one intersting thing on the Allure happen. Didn't realize you ended a special key to get to the hall where the suites were so the last group had to knock on that door till someone let us in.

One thing I've done for my cabin crawls, was have a small thank you gift for each host. I would give it to them as we left their cabin.

Many people say, I've sailed x amount of times so why do I need to see any cabins. But it is interesting because you do see lots of cabin types. But even more, you get to have some more fun with your M&M group.

And for those that don't want to open their cabin (security sake or otherwise), doesn't mean you can't participate by visiting with the rest of the group. But please do consider opening your cabin, esepecially if you have one of the larger or more unusual cabins. This is always a fun event that everyone enjoys, especially with larger groups. Like I always say, the more the merrier.

Erika

p.s.-

Am I the only one who finds the thought of a cabin crawl a bit weird? I don't particularly want my new friends poking around in my belongings, but if everything is tucked away neatly, then it's a bit like just staring a various sized empty hotel rooms - or is that the point? Also, you have no way of knowing if one of your new friends is actually a crazed axe-murderer, dying to find out where best to waylay you.

make sure you put your axe away so no one plays with it.

Edited by birdylady

We have also organized a couple of cabin crawls and will be doing another next week on the Freedom of the Seas Halloween! As stated above, the "hosts" lead the crawlers and arrive first to open their cabins for viewing; they are the last to leave their cabins, so they can lock up and continue to the next cabin on the crawl. We start with the lower decks and work our way to the upper decks, ending up in a larger cabin, such as an aft balcony or suite.

This year we have combined our cabin crawl with wine tasting and a poker run!:cool: RCCL now has eliminated its "corkage fee" and one is able to take their allotted 2 bottles of wine per cabin anywhere on the ship, even to the dining room. Any leftover wine from the crawl will be taken to the last cabin on the crawl and will be enjoyed there!:p Poker players pay $5 and draw one card at 5 different cabins; best hand wins the pot! The crawl does not have to be perfect, just fun!:D

To the questions about security having relative strangers in your cabin, I have to admit, the 1st time I participated/hosted a cabin, my sister and I had those thoughts as well. Before the crawl, we ensured anything valuable was put away. We also planned for one of us to sit on the sofa and do nothing but observe, while the other one played hostess.

As it turned out, our worries were for absolutely nothing, but if I did it again, I would probably use the same plan. Just because we had an awesome group last time, doesn't mean you can't run into the "axe murderer" the next time!

We've done one on Indy last year and it was a blast. We went top to bottom so everyone could take the stairs down. We had an aft JS connected to an aft balcony and an inside room for the kids. Basically we hustled to get to our room first, opened it up and people wandered in, out to the balcony and back out. It was hilarious in the small inside room since you can barely turn around. No one stayed very long except in the very far forward Ocean View rooms. Many of us had never seen those (the sideways rooms w/the bunks in a separate area) so there was lots of discussion and questions regarding the space, the room, etc.

I kind of like this idea. I haven't sailed RCI yet, so thing it would be nice to see several different types of cabin, but we ourselves, are staying in a not-so-common cabin. We are booked in a Promenade Family with the separate bunk room and the bath with tub (similar, maybe identical bath as JS). Would love to see standard OV and balcony cabins as well as the suites, even the insides too!

Maybe I'll make a mention of it on our roll call thread, but don't want to be the organizer of it, as I have no idea what I'm doing on this one......

Am I the only one who finds the thought of a cabin crawl a bit weird? .

I wouldn't say weird, but it never held my interest until AZ Cruising Nana organized one in our roll call on Allure. If there ever was a ship to have one, its that class. The Aquatheater Suites and the Crown Loft Suites were amazing. We had every class of room except a Central Park balcony and we added one of those when a couple saw our group come through and they joined us.

Hi, I was wondering how someone would organize a cabin crawl. We have only attend one in the past and enjoyed this tour. Our roll call is active and we would like to participate in another one. Thanks in advance.

Few ideas from crawls we've participated in:

1. Some cruisers don't like to post their cabin numbers online to volunteer to be hosts. The last cabin crawl we did, the lady who began it set up a gmail account to email into. Name of our ship was in the email name.

2. One provided a map with cabin numbers so we knew where we were going. Nice touch, but even just a list of the order of cabin numbers is equally helpful. Consider the easiest path to see all the cabins.

3. We've never participated when the host cabins provided anything to drink. Sometimes the hosts will give a little trinket or candy for crawlers. I bought Mentos candies and created a wrapper with a picture of our ship and date of cabin crawl to give to crawlers. Other times, it was simply a cabin crawl. Either way most enjoy getting to see the various types of cabins.

4. Have done the poker run. That was fun. Wasn't a requirement to participate in the poker run to join in the cabin crawl. Every cabin visited had a fresh deck of cards.

5. We've done cabin crawls immediately following the Meet and Mingle and also on another day designated during the cruise. If you know ahead of time where your M&M will be, you can organize how to get to cabins from that location in an organized manner.

Good luck with your crawl, and above all, have a good time!

I wouldn't say weird, but it never held my interest until AZ Cruising Nana organized one in our roll call on Allure. If there ever was a ship to have one, its that class. The Aquatheater Suites and the Crown Loft Suites were amazing. We had every class of room except a Central Park balcony and we added one of those when a couple saw our group come through and they joined us.

Bill, That was undoubtedly the best ever cabin crawl we've ever done! That cabin crawl is the closest we'll ever get to being in some of those cabins. The Aquatheater Suite was amazing!

Edited by denamo

Bill, That was undoubtedly the best ever cabin crawl we've ever done! That cabin crawl is the closest we'll ever get to being in some of those cabins. The Aquatheater Suite was amazing!

I saw some of the logistic questions asked here and I though Sue Did a great job of this. (I think it was Sue) As ever as getting close to one of those cabins, Lind and her daughter Katie were in a JS and got upgraded to the Croft Loft the week of the cruise. Linda is Diamond I believe. If the BOGOHO sale was going on today and the prices as good as the day we booked Freedom, I'd be tempted to pay for a JS just for the slim hopes of the upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for in the input and ideas; our cabin crawl was a success!

We ended up with over 60 people and sent them in groups of 12 or so every five minutes. I wanted to give more time between groups, but when everyone was standing there, ready to go, time went by sooo slowly! Anyway, the group size and timing worked out fine. We ended up with 12 cabins to crawl and didn't think it was too many.

Just a couple things I might have changed:

1) I aimed for a small last group and ended up with six. But then it was eight with my wife and me. By the time we picked up the cabin hosts, our group got huge! I think we had 25 by the time we got in the last cabin (glad is was a GS!). Probably should have shifted group size and started the last group even smaller (perhaps just my wife and I. . .)

2) In order to finish at the GS, we started on a low deck and worked our way up. Looked great on paper, but ran into issues with folks not wanting to take stairs, waiting for elevators and causing delays. Not sure I would change this, but a route that goes DOWN stairs make a ton a sense.

But great fun!

Well, you know people are trying to bring their axes on ships all the time, but they limit to a pair of scissors 4 inches in length. So there is the chance of a aggressive trimming... ;)

Originally Posted by RenieRaider View Post

I am pretty sure crazed Axe-Murderers are not allowed on the ship. Someone back me up on this!?

Axe-Murderers are against the rules, but unfortunately that rule is rarely enforced.

Not worried about that, just that a pair of panties might be left out on the floor or something... but that might lead to a interesting comments or conversation :D

Axe-Murderers are against the rules, but unfortunately that rule is rarely enforced.

Am I the only one who finds the thought of a cabin crawl a bit weird? I don't particularly want my new friends poking around in my belongings, but if everything is tucked away neatly, then it's a bit like just staring a various sized empty hotel rooms - or is that the point? Also, you have no way of knowing if one of your new friends is actually a crazed axe-murderer, dying to find out where best to waylay you.

Empty hotel rooms? Not on Oasis. We had one last week that ranged from balcony rooms (CP, BW, OV) to JS, GS, OS, Sky Loft Suite, Crown Loft (Sky?) Suite and every single person RAVED about how great it was to see the various rooms!

In addition, we had some "balcony" perks where the CP folks had the "extra" space, the OV folks had 3 balonies combined, etc. It was awesome to see the secret stuff, you read about here, in person!

We did it the first sea day (so Sunday for a Saturday sailing) and everyone's room was still super neat - Haha!