22wks Pregnant- am i allowed to take Bonine?

shazzie44

hi,

Im taking my daughter who will be 22wks pregnant on her first ever cruise.

we have brought over some Bonine from USA to take on board to help with sea-sickness and was wondering if anyone knows if its safe to take Bonine when your pregnant.

we would ask our doctors, but as Bonine is an american tablet, we are unsure if they can help.

ta!

Your not sure if your doctor can help because it's an american label?

I'm sorry to come across as a snark but isn't it your DOCTOR's JOB to get answers to your questions even if he doesn't know?

I wouldn't trust any amatuer on a public forum like this at all.

hi,

we have brought over some Bonine from USA to take on board to help with sea-sickness and was wondering if anyone knows if its safe to take Bonine when your pregnant.

we would ask our doctors, but as Bonine is an american tablet, we are unsure if they can help.

ta!

thanks all,

we were just hoping before we made a 2hr wait to see a doc that someone would have been in our situation in America before and had checked!

ah well :) cant hurt but try can ya?

It is different for everyone. She has not only herself but her unborn child to think about. As a health care provider, formerly specializling in high risk labor and delivery, I cannot caution you enough to go ahead and spend that two hours. Once you do, you will know what is best for all of you.

hi,

ta!

I assume that you have not read many posts on Cruise Critic -- if you had, the range of comments from inane to insane would have dissuaded you from seeking medical advice at this source.

As an aside.....

when she is consulting with her doctor, be sure she has a written statement from him (her) the exact number of weeks into her pregnancy she will be at the END of your cruise, that she and the baby are healthy for travel and she is not having a high risk pregnancy. Cruise lines can be very firm about this and they can deny boarding.

She probably will need such a statement when she checks in at the ship.

Best Wishes......

Posters should not be giving out medical advise on these boards - not even if they are doctors. Please act responsibily. Every case is different and the person seeking medical advice should do so in person.

I am a pharmacist...my advice is to ask her personal physician about taking Meclizine, which is the generic name of Bonine. If the physician is not familiar with meclizine then he/she must contact a drug info center on her behalf. She shouldn't go ahead and take meclizine without clearing it through her physician.

According to the United States Food and Drug Administration, meclizine is Pregnancy Category B, which means that it is not expected to harm an unborn child. This is public information, which you can verify yourself by looking online. However, the FDA still advises to check with or inform your physician before taking meclizine while pregnant.

Posters should not be giving out medical advise on these boards - not even if they are doctors. Please act responsibily. Every case is different and the person seeking medical advice should do so in person.

There's nothing wrong with giving medical advice on this message board when that advice is to refer the OP back to their physician. That's what every single reply here is telling her to do.

Google Meclizine/bonine and see what it says about taking in pregnancy. My Nursing 2011 Drug Handbook says bonine is a pregnancy class B drug and is safe taken durinhg pregnancy. EM

Please refrain from offering medical advice on this board. Generic handbooks provide generic answers. Specific health issues relating to a specific individual are questions for her doctor, the only person who knows her complete medical history.

Please refrain from offering medical advice on this board. Generic handbooks provide generic answers. Specific health issues relating to a specific individual are questions for her doctor, the only person who knows her complete medical history.

As a retired nurse, I am NOT offering medical advice. I am simply reporting what is printed in the latest edition of the drug handbook that is present in every nurses station of every hospital AND also used as a reference by doctors. Oh, and I spent 40 years working in labor and delivery prior to retirement. EM (ret. BSN, MA, RN).

As a retired nurse, I am NOT offering medical advice. I am simply reporting what is printed in the latest edition of the drug handbook that is present in every nurses station of every hospital AND also used as a reference by doctors. Oh, and I spent 40 years working in labor and delivery prior to retirement. EM (ret. BSN, MA, RN).

Your answer was responsible. But you have to remember, strangers on the web at times can and DO pretend to be things they're not, for various reasons.

Still, the OP could have googled it and gotten the same info you provided.

Your answer was responsible. But you have to remember, strangers on the web at times can and DO pretend to be things they're not, for various reasons.

Still, the OP could have googled it and gotten the same info you provided.

Steve, nothing wrong with giving professional opinion on the subject.. especially when solicited to do so. I often give sea sickness advice on this board and in my practice. It is up to the person receiving the advice to confirm, unfortunately credentialing is not possible

As an aside.....

when she is consulting with her doctor, be sure she has a written statement from him (her) the exact number of weeks into her pregnancy she will be at the END of your cruise, that she and the baby are healthy for travel and she is not having a high risk pregnancy. Cruise lines can be very firm about this and they can deny boarding.

She probably will need such a statement when she checks in at the ship.

Best Wishes......

I have to say believe you are one of the smartest people on these boards.

If she doesn't want or is advised not to take medicine by her doctor, she could use the wrist bands for sea sickness.

They apply mild pressure to a point on the wrist and work well for many people.

Ginger candies may also be an option.

Good luck.

Lois

Come on people. Don't be so hard on Essiesmom. I am a registered nurse, too, and I did not take it that she was telling the OP to take the drug without consulting her physician (although on an internet forum site there is no way to verify poster credentials and state practice laws differ from state to state). Also, the OP and her daughter have to bear the responsibility for their actions not the posters on these boards. Seeking medical advice from strangers on the internet or anywhere else should only be viewed as a means of information gathering at best to learn options that might be available. The determination of which option is best for the OP's daughter can only be determined in consultation with a physician who familiar with her medical history and current condition.

Archived