Question about meals on a longer cruise...

ksc1984

I recently took a two week cruise on the Amsterdam and I actually started to get tired of the food. I ate in the MDR as well as the Lido. It all started to taste the same after a while. The PG was my only fabulous meal. I liked the food just fine and especially the desserts, but I'm starting to wonder how you "keep the magic going" at mealtime on a long cruise of over a few weeks. And people say they gain weight on a cruise--well I didn't. I say that only to point out that I was not tempted by the food to overeat.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago on the Veendam. I know that to most it's sounds peculiar....but the reality was that after five weeks of good food, interesting preparations, etc. it got to be a little boring. By week five I was in such need of junk food I felt ridiculous....just couldn't wait to hit Tampa and head for the first fast food joint I could find!!! I guess we can all get a little bored with even "magic" if we get too much of it for too long.

Iv also noticed the same thing . 1st week we ate a lot 2nd week less 3rd week I was getting boared of the food . After 10 days it seems all the meals taste the same . I eat a lot of fresh fruit on cruise so I dont gain a lot of weight there but I do retain a lot of water on longer cruise . I think being desalinated sea water it still has elevated salt in it . Last 2 longer cruises I brought water pills which helped a lot . CARL

I have been fortunate in enjoying a few long cruises and I will take exception to the idea that the meals become boring after awhile. I did not find this to be true whatsoever. Maybe it is because I varied my pattern of where I dined frequently, maybe it was always anticipating the wonderful, friendly service of my stewards. maybe it was my tablemates (what will they say/do next?), maybe it was meeting new people during open sitting breakfast and lunch, maybe it was the interesting and varied menus offered on a long cruise, I just didn't get "bored" and find the food all tasted the same. Never have I thought when I looked at a menu, "Darn, Prime Rib again!"

Our recent 32 days on the Noordam was made up of 3 cruises B2B2B. This meant that several items on the menu were repeated.

Having said this we never got bored. I was able to find a couple of main courses each day. We also ate in the Lido a few times and twice in PG.

Whether you eat at home or your favourite restaurants every night you will always see repeated menus.

We have done a few longer cruises (64, 42, 35, 32 27 days) and never once got bored with the food. That said, we have given up on desserts, not because there isn't enough variety, but because, in our view, they are simply not worth the effort or calories.

We find there are so many choices on the Dining Room menus, whether old favourites or new items, that we rarely even miss a dinner.

Once in a while there will be a menu that just doesn't catch our attention, especially in regards to entrees. That is when we order 2 appetisers, soup and salad.

I recently took a two week cruise on the Amsterdam and I actually started to get tired of the food. I ate in the MDR as well as the Lido. It all started to taste the same after a while. The PG was my only fabulous meal. I liked the food just fine and especially the desserts, but I'm starting to wonder how you "keep the magic going" at mealtime on a long cruise of over a few weeks. And people say they gain weight on a cruise--well I didn't. I say that only to point out that I was not tempted by the food to overeat.

Do you cook in your household?

Even homecooked food gets repeated!

I enjoyed our 2 weeks on the Volendam of not having to cook and been waited on. Most of the meals we had were good. We didn't go to the PG. Just don't eat all your meal if you are worried about putting on weight!

I've been on several long cruises (>30 days), and can't say I've ever gotten bored with dinner. I have reached the point where I don't want to eat much, so I ordered something off the childrens' menu. Now, there's a change of pace! :D

I find it's easier not gaining weight on a longer cruise than on a short one. On a longer cruise there's no sense of pressure to try everything right now, because there will always be tomorrow..

We were on a 33-day cruise last January. The one thing I did not want to happen was to get bored with the food or become just plain tired of eating. So most nights I didn't order an appetizer, soup, or dessert unless it was something I really felt like eating. This worked well, as I always looked forward to meals, and I didn't gain any weight!

Oh, gosh...........I never get bored with the food..............I like to try different things and do I ever eat a lot of fresh pineapple!

If I got bored it would MY fault because I pretty much eat the same breakfast..................love those "create your own omelets"...........I could easily get bored cuz I'm stuck on the omelets and/or muesli for bkfst. (plus my fresh pineapple!) I create the same omelet, too..........and I don't get bored??? No, I'm not having to cook it and clean up.

If you're tired of the "fancy meals" try some food out at the Terrace Cafe; it's GOOD.............really good................;)

I never get tired of being cooked for, but I do get tired of so much food being offered for dinner. Often I order only a fish course and some vegetables and call that my dinner.

We limit our deserts to 'special' nights and only have one.

I recently had tables mates who ordered two main courses every night and ate all of that food.

I'm pretty much ambivalent about food and eating - my wife says I am boring to cook for.

That said, I've always found something to my liking, and I haven't had a problem with 28 night or so cruises and food.

I NEVER get tired of eating something somebody else has prepared and will clean up after ME- and do the dishes FOR me! NEVER! As to repeating items? So? ;)

I agree with AnSalberg (maybe because we are both librarians) but as long as someone else is preparing the food and cleaning up, you can't beat it. We have been home only a week from the Oosterdam and I am already bored with my own cooking. (Plus we eat out a lot). So give me dinner on a ship any day/night and I am happy. At least, you can eat as little or as much as you want.

After about 5 days of good food I start to miss junk food. This may reflect my poor eating habits at home. After I found the sandwich station on the lido, I was able to have a sandwich and potato chips for lunch and enjoy nice dinners.

Marcia

This is a compelling subject. I have a good time figuring out what I want to eat on any particular day of the cruise.

Sometimes I order a baked potato and just have that. Sometimes I want the most unusual item on the menu.

I am here to tell you having someone shop,chop, cook, serve, and clean up floats my boat.

Our longest cruise so far is 64 days and I don't think we have ever been bored with the food - there is such a variety offered. We tend to eat much as we do at home but do enjoy the things that are so expensive here - like the fresh fruit, the wild salmon when they serve it, the Asian station etc.

The main thing is being served and not having to clean up after - works for us!!!

On our first cruise, I was getting so FULL by the end of the week, that there wasn't time to 'recover' before the next meal. I just wasn't hungry enough to eat.

It wasn't that the food was boring. It was that the food was no longer appealing to me since I wasn't hungry.

We usually don't eat three courses (or four) in a meal, so it IS a lot of food.

Archived