heat wave?

sueajp

I have always dreamed of a mediterranean cruise but my DH and our cruise buddies are afraid of how how it will be in the summer. Is it really unbearable? Would you discourage someone who has trouble walking and hates heat? Our favorite cruise was a Princess cruise of England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, France and Belgium. I always count on Cruise critic for help! Thanks. :confused:

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick responses. The trouble is I am a teacher and cannot travel during those times. Everyone is waiting for me to retire to do that.... but don't want to be too old! LOL..

July and August can be brutal in the Eastern Med. Think mid 90s. Lots of walking. Go in June, the earlier the better. EM

Ah. That would be about 10-12 degrees cooler than our first cruise-W. Carib in early June. Went to Tulum. My definition of hot and humid was re-defined. And I grew up on the coast of Mississippi.

Ah. That would be about 10-12 degrees cooler than our first cruise-W. Carib in early June. Went to Tulum. My definition of hot and humid was re-defined. And I grew up on the coast of Mississippi.

The summer sun in this part part of the world is more intense than anything I experienced in the US. Besides the heat and humidity, the summer means incredibly strong and burning sunshine, so you need to be vigilant about sun protection: never go out for even a short while without a hat (preferably with more coverage than a baseball cap), sunglasses, sunscreen, and always, always a bring along a bottle of water that you sip from regularly- it's too late if you wait until you feel thirsty.

Israelis often go over to a red faced, weak looking tourist that they pass on a bus or on the street, hand them a cup or bottle of water, and stand by them until they take a drink. I think tourists are sometimes so afraid that if they drink they'll have to use the facilities that they become dangerously careless about becoming dehydrated or worse!

If you've never experienced the intense sun of this area, then it's easy to be caught unawares. We've even handed hats to bare headed, sunburned tourists. (And if you're traveling with children who aren't protected, you may be taken aback at how every Israeli becomes a meddling grandparent :D)

Not sure where "humid" comes into it :confused:

When I think humid, I think Florida, or SE Asia. Hot, damp, oppressive.

The Med is nothing like that. More like Southern California. Hot bright sun, low humidity.

Yes, it's hot. But again, perhaps not as hot as the impression given on this thread. Problem is, most tourists visit the Med for the sights & cities rather than the beaches, when mid-summer is not ideal. And naturally you'll tire & perspire a whole lot more jostling with the crowds at the Vatican or shade-less Pompeii, than on a breezy beach bar terrace.

Mid-summer is not ideal, but I'd prefer it to the winter, and we can't all choose our ideal dates.

Plenty of sun-cream, wear a hat, drink lots of water, walk on the shady side, take it easy, know your limitations. You'll be fine.

John Bull

We did an Eastern Med cruise just about a year ago with our two sons, it was the only time we could all go. We spent two days in Rome beforehand.

It was HOT HOT HOT ... and we had a wonderful time!

We all drank plenty of water, wore comfortable walking shoes, hats with nice wide brims, comfortable loose clothing ... we did tons of walking in Rome and in all the ports, we stopped & rested when we needed to ...

Oh, and sunscreen! Plenty of sunscreen!

The summer sun in this part part of the world is more intense than anything I experienced in the US. Besides the heat and humidity, the summer means incredibly strong and burning sunshine, so you need to be vigilant about sun protection: never go out for even a short while without a hat (preferably with more coverage than a baseball cap), sunglasses, sunscreen, and always, always a bring along a bottle of water that you sip from regularly- it's too late if you wait until you feel thirsty.

Israelis often go over to a red faced, weak looking tourist that they pass on a bus or on the street, hand them a cup or bottle of water, and stand by them until they take a drink. I think tourists are sometimes so afraid that if they drink they'll have to use the facilities that they become dangerously careless about becoming dehydrated or worse!

If you've never experienced the intense sun of this area, then it's easy to be caught unawares. We've even handed hats to bare headed, sunburned tourists. (And if you're traveling with children who aren't protected, you may be taken aback at how every Israeli becomes a meddling grandparent :D)

You are describing classic desert heat with low humidity. On the Ms coast with humidity you are aware of the heat because you are sopping wet with sweat, to the point that you are concerned about a fungus or mildew growing under your,er,well anyway.... There you know it's hot and you need fluids. People from a humid region who visit the desert very often do not realize that they have been sweating because it evaporates quickly. They don't pay attention and realize that they are dehydrated after it is too late. I have been very comfortable in Death Valley at 120 degrees. Ninety degrees at 86% humidity is pretty stinkin' (and I stress stinkin') uncomfortable.

Rule of thumb----if you don't need to pee, you haven't had enough water.

As always, cruise critic folks are very generous with their input! I am considering all you thoughts. It has been brutally hot here in Mass this summer and I can see that trying to see everything would be difficult at best. I guess the Med will have to wait til retirement and better vacation times. We did go to the southern Caribbean in the summer a couple of years ago, but hot days meant go to the beach with some sightseeing too. Ah well.. on to the next destination! Thanks everyone!:cool:

You are describing classic desert heat with low humidity. On the Ms coast with humidity you are aware of the heat because you are sopping wet with sweat, to the point that you are concerned about a fungus or mildew growing under your,er,well anyway.... There you know it's hot and you need fluids. People from a humid region who visit the desert very often do not realize that they have been sweating because it evaporates quickly. They don't pay attention and realize that they are dehydrated after it is too late. I have been very comfortable in Death Valley at 120 degrees. Ninety degrees at 86% humidity is pretty stinkin' (and I stress stinkin') uncomfortable.

Rule of thumb----if you don't need to pee, you haven't had enough water.

You clearly haven't been to Tel Aviv and thereabouts (Israel's coastal plain) anytime from April- October :p. It's mainly 24/7 of 90 degree weather and wet shirt humidity. Plus, that blazing sun. [And you haven't been on a public bus in that region during that time of year, either :D]

[Only part of Israel is a desert region. Once you get to Jerusalem, and continue traveling north, from the coastal plain across until the Jordan Valley, the country is fertile forest and farmland.]

But your rule of thumb is absolutely correct, for wherever you are- if you don't need to pee, you haven't had enough water. Just keep sippin', no matter if you you're thirsty or not (you've gone way too long without a drink if your mouth is dry or if you're thirsty).

DD & SIL did a med & greek isle cruise for their honeymoon end of June 3 years ago, they are young & very fit, both athletes, but they said it was blazing hot, (I think there was some crazy heat wave at the time) high 90's, they are going to do France, England & Ireland this Aug & are hoping for a little cooler weather.

DD & SIL did a med & greek isle cruise for their honeymoon end of June 3 years ago, they are young & very fit, both athletes, but they said it was blazing hot, (I think there was some crazy heat wave at the time) high 90's, they are going to do France, England & Ireland this Aug & are hoping for a little cooler weather.

Unfortunately we've had a heatwave predicted for the UK this August with temps up into the 90's. Whether this occurs, is another matter.

Unfortunately we've had a heatwave predicted for the UK this August with temps up into the 90's. Whether this occurs, is another matter.

Temps in the 90s? Oh be still. :eek:

Here? Hour after sunrise, temp is 81, humidity 88%. It ain't August yet.

Of course, no one cruises to here. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We're only used to temps in the 70's though!!!!!!!!

I unnnerstan' that you're not USED to it. My point is that you don't need to DIE from it. People need to be aware of their situation and take appropriate measures.

OP has some health issues that would make travel in the heat a problem for her.

Nobody really gets used to this kinda heat and humidity. You do get used to dealing with it. If ya ain't peein'. ya ain't had enough water.

sueajp: we have done two Med cruises, both in the fall months, the first was end of Sept and early October; the second was in November.

During the first one, temps were still in the high 70s and bit humid, but tolerable to us, who are used to living in a desert environment with little humidity. There were still a lot of crowds everywhere, though.

The second cruise, in November, was just perfect! Very mild weather, pleasant temps in the 60s and low 70s, sunny days and much reduced crowds. For example, on both cruises we visited San Gimignano, and even at the end of September it was wall-to-wall people. However, in November, it was almost like we had the city to ourselves-a wonderful difference. One significant variance though, was Venice--very chilly-temps in the 40s/50s. We didn't realize just how far north it is.

We have a number of friends who have done the Med in summer and they all complained about how uncomfortably hot and crowded it was. If we do another Med trip, it will definitely be in the Oct-Nov time frame. Hope this helps you a bit.

The fact is, Jerusalem is further north than Savannah, GA -- so anyone who can contemplate a summer visit to Disneyworld, far to the south in Orlando, (where the humidity is much higher) can surely handle the lower humidity (and weaker sun ) experienced in the eastern Mediterranean.

Archived