Dress Code...Period!

equusvilla

Sorry - this is long..and kind of a vent:

My Grandparents were avid transatlantic cruisers. The pictures I have of them aboard the ships are breath taking! The other tokens - ie show bills with Ethel Merman as one of the many well known entertainers .. and the meticulous charts that Grandfather kept about the progress, weather and conditions are fascinating!! Above all though - what really rises to the surface was the elegance and tradition of it all.

It is this that I hope to experience as my husband and I embark on our first cruise aboard the Celebrity Solstice. I researched, specifically to find the line that I thought would be a good fit for us...and one that held tight to higher standards ..more geared towards an adult crowd.

My heart just sinks when I read that people show up for their (Celebrity) cruise dinners wearing shorts and t-shirts..even though the guidelines clearly state that no jeans, shorts etc. are allowed.

I am not against such attire... but in my mind that is what Carnival Cruise line caters too and I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with Carnival.

As we start to select our attire for this trip, we will be packing (according to the guidelines) both formal, smart-casual and Pool/excursion clothes. I am not one of those people who believes you cannot re-wear an outfit on a cruise... but I do firmly believe in keeping with tradition and just love the formality of it all.. wish others did as well.

^^^me too, but I will warn you now you will get some posters in agreement and some that say "it sucks to be you because it's our money and we will dress how we want." Some people just have a disregard to rules and guidelines and no matter what ship, what venue, etc. You can use you money to buy what ever you want, but grace & good behavior comes from within and can't be purchased, preached or forced.

(edited to say.....just noticed you were from South Texas...me too...I think in Texas, tradition rules and there is a respect for rules such as dress code etc. It is taught in Southern homes from the time we are babies and as much as we are shocked that it is not faithfully followed, others raised in different ways are shocked that it is.)

I'm from the Northeast and I agree with you about following the guidelines. I mean to me that's what part of what taking a cruise is about - dressing up for dinner, especially on formal night.

Unfortunately with these super mega ships and cruise lines having to attrack new passengers and new demographics, they are trying to "re-define" the cruising experience and therefore relaxing the dress code. Also the airlines haven't helped at all with baggage restrictions.

Also you get the people that rant - it's my vacation and my money, I can do what I want, wear what I want and act how I want.

I for one would love there to be a line that sticks the the "traditional cruising experience." That's what we fell in love with and that is how we want to travel. We can't afford the QM2, Crystal, or other luxury lines, so please don't suggest we sail them instead of Celebrity.

I'd just like to throw in another vote of support for you.

I am early 30's so I have no nostalgia to which I can cling, but I agree 100%.

I wish that the Dress code were enforced more.

I think it is more an issue of respect than anything else, respect for yout fellow cruisers and respect for yourself.

There's nothing worse than being in a fine dining establishment and seeing someone in ripped jeans.

It is a sad fact however, that you will get the casual clothed even on formal nights, and some of them will insist on being in the Dining room rather than in casual areas, I just wish that a more strict policy was in place.

While I enjoy the formality of it (and even more importantly, I believe in following the "rules"), the airlines surely make it hard on us to comply. Just sayin'. To make do, I wear fancy pants and change sparkly tops. (And I leave DH at home and travel with a roommate who also enjoys dressing up!:D)

Kathy

I'll cast my vote with you, too. We love the 'formalness' of the ships; our first cruise (really a 'crossing') was on the QE2 and we had 4 formal nights in a row..with a 'casual' night on either end. There 'casual' would pass as formal to most people today. A real shame, in our opinion. Kind of takes away from the 'specialness' to cruising, IMO.

Although I agree with your general statement, and I would not wear jeans on a formal night, I have worn nice jeans on regular dinner nights. I didn't realize how offended people get.

Maybe instead if taking so many cruises, including 13-night European ones...save for Cunard.

I am another one who agrees with you. There are very few, if any, places left in the world to which you can go dressed in a tux and a formal gown other than black tie weddings and formal charity events. I love the formal nights on the ships; they feel very special to me. My husband looks so handsome in a tux, and we enjoy those nights immensely. Please don't feel that you are alone, because you are not. It is sometimes hard to be heard above those who clamor MY vacation, MY clothes, MY choice.

On our next cruise, with our flights to Europe and weight restrictions on luggage, I will be packing very carefully, but will definitely include very dressy, sparkly tops and pants to go with... they weigh less than my gowns. However, next March, the gowns will go back in the suitcase. Go, dress up as you like, and have a marvelous trip!

On my recent Equinox cruise, there were no shorts allowed in dining room (Blu). I can attest to this being enforced as my BIL decided, against my advice, to show up in a very nice pair of dress shorts with expensive Italian loafers and nice collared silk shirt (a trendy but geeky look if you ask me). He was promptly and kindly turned away. I thought it was hilarious as I warned him profusely not to wear this outfit as shorts were not allowed.

I also note that I did not observe dress code violations on the ship to be a problem. most people followed the guidelines. In Tuscan Grill one night, one table had several people with Tshirts on over their nicer shirts. the Tshirts commemorated a 60th Birthday I believe. Tacky, but my meal tasted the same, and it really had no affect on our experience as we were all properly attired (including BIL).

One last comment regarding Tuxes (I wore business suit on formal nights, as did BIL)...not as many as I would have thought after reading these boards. Most men wore either suits or sports coat and slacks, most had ties on, but not all. Tuxes were probably in the 20 to 25% range, and those who wore them looked very nice. Just not my style, so I wore work clothes...lol

I would caution that if underdressed people are going to lessen your experience, specifically in the MDR that you prepare your self ahead of time. They are going to be there. Probably less so on Celebrity but they will be there none the less.

B.

So nice to read all the positive remarks!!

I found the posting about "the grossest thing you have seen on a cruise" ... which is under the Celebrity area (God help me) and started to worry... ***** Gosh - I would liken that thread to watching Nascar... you keep watching wating for the worst... as funny as it is ..

I can honestly say that overall I've been very happy with the standards of dress I've seen on Celebrity with the occasional person being an exception. Each cruise has its own feel, but I think the dress code debates on this board get heated and overblown which is why I sit on my hands and not comment. I replied here because I thought you might need some reassurance.

Phil

Hi, on our TA last year the formal nights were very formal, so I don't think you need worry about those, there are plenty of alternative resturants for those of us who choose to skip it. On the non formal nights I didn't see anyone in shorts in the mdr (we only ate there 3, maybe 4 nights) people were dressed very nicely from what we saw. You will see men in shorts in the evening if you go to the buffet, especially on the port days before you begin the crossing.

It won't be just like your Grandparents era (maybe Cunard for that), but it will be wonderful, have a good time, it's a beautiful ship, & was one of our best trips ever.

More support for the OP here. We follow the dress code [and probably err on the plus side]. It is one of the reasons why we cruise and an important reason at that. There are many cruise lines, all different. Surely the way to have a great cruise is to choose the correct one. The dress code is part of the package. If dressing formally is not what someone wants then perhaps they are not selecting the best cruise line for them. When we cruised with family who do not like formal dress, we chose another cruise line. I do not understand the "I have paid my money, I will dress as I like" opinion. Others have paid their money take part in total cruise ambience.

Sue

The OP expressed my exact sentiments and expectations in choosing Celebrity for our first cruise(s). Not to be elitist, but I only hope the elegance and tradition extends to other areas of the ship besides dress. For instance, I have been very disappointed (or, as the OP put it, my heart sank) to read about sofas being put out on the balcony, peoples behaviors at the buffets, and lugging coolers of soda aboard, among other things.

I totally support the OP as well.

What I get a kick out of are all the "excuses" that are thrown out by the "casualites". Here are some, and to me, they are all bogus.

1. Airline limitations. Bologna, pure and simple. I sailed 35 days on Crystal with 9 formal nights, 12 semi formal nights and managed this on two suitcases. Packing formal wear takes no more space than all the casual stuff, like jeans. But in the same light, some of these same people are asking about stuffing their bags with booze, water and soda. DUH????

2. Formal clothes are too uncomfortable. Bologna, again. I find jeans more uncomfortable and tight fitting than my formal outfits. If your clothes fit properly, they should not be uncomfortable.

3. I have to dress up for work every day. Yeah, unless you're a head waiter at an exclusive restaurant, how many of you wear a tux or cocktail dress to work 5 days a week? What's so tough about putting on a jacket, tie and slacks? Or a dress or beaded jacket and evening slacks?

4. I don't own anything but shorts and jeans. Sorry, but I have a tough time believing that. I have cousins who are farmers and never dress in suits, but they all own at least one sports jacket and slacks that aren't jeans. Heck, I have a cousin who works for the city and cleans sewers and he owns a very nice suit. Plus, you can get great deals on clothing if you shop sales. I bought a very lovely long black gown, and after it had been reduced 4 times, it cost me $11 at Dillards.

If X has rules, enforce them. If not, then don't have rules and let everyone have at it.

I also agree with OP 100%. I love to have an occasion to dress up... it's the best part of the cruise for me getting ready before dinner.

I have previously been on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 from NYC on a Caribbean cruise in the very cold month of February. So we had to pack jumpers, huge coats and then clothes for the hot climate AND fit in 3 huge ball gowns :D and many other dresses for the semi-formal nights. I flew with US Airways and didn't have to pay for excess luggage (though international flights have a greater allowance than internal ones I know). :) All because I really wanted to dress up!! I have a great picture of my father stood with 8 HUGE suitcases outside our NYC hotel waiting for our transport to the ship (there were 5 of us, the suitcases weren't all mine!! lol).

On Cunard however the majority (if not all) the men I came across on formal nights were in tuxes. Cunard also have the "semi-formal" dress code which was nice to wear my other dresses on. Celebrity only used to have "smart-casual" and "formal" listed but have recently added "in-formal" which I am quite pleased about because it reads the same as "semi-formal" on the Cunard website.

We chose this cruise because it was £1000 cheaper per person than a similar Cunard one, they have similar/same dress codes anyway and the new Eclipse ship looks lovely. Although I do hope this Celebrity cruise will be as fun to dress up on from reading other posts about this subject I am prepared for it maybe being more suits than tuxes. However there are 6 of us going, armed with tuxes and ball gowns so I suppose as long as we fit in within our own party it will be fine. :)

I am not against such attire... but in my mind that is what Carnival Cruise line caters too and I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with Carnival.

As we start to select our attire for this trip, we will be packing (according to the guidelines) both formal, smart-casual and Pool/excursion clothes. I am not one of those people who believes you cannot re-wear an outfit on a cruise... but I do firmly believe in keeping with tradition and just love the formality of it all.. wish others did as well.

I used to pack like that for our first cruise too. But now with the price of baggage going to cost us 100 round trip for one back each---- (at 23.00 a bag.) we are now limited to 1 bag each. I can not afford to be paying all that to take formal clothes.

We do not wear shorts in the dining room- Our clothes are clean and we are dressed respectfully. I think the days of long gowns and tuxes are gone. (suits even)

I love the formal nights and am looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise because it more formal. We were looking at the possibility of a cheap getaway in Feb and Costa was a possibility until I found out they don't do formal nights. It doesn't seem like a cruise without a formal night!

I love the elegance of dressing for dinner. I think it is what makes a cruise more special than other types of vacations. I also agree with a previous poster that is is probably in an effort to appeal to wider base that cruise lines have relaxed their dress standards over the last few years. I still dress in a nice dress quite often on Smart Casual and above and a long gown on formal nights. I have learned that not every one shares this affection for dressing up, so I don't worry about what others are wearing for even a second.

I hope your cruise is great and that you enjoy your formal evenings.

Archived