Yanks, Beware - Independence of Seas

We had a similiar experience when we sailed the Grand Princess out of Southampton last year. They even had a party where they gave out union jacks and sung their National Anthem.U.S. and Canadians were definately in the minority on that cruise.

Gawdon Bennet! I was Michael Owen ter ask is me room near da apple an' pears but I figured you would all realise what wiv Bottle ov Glue cruises under my belt dis wouldn't be a serious quesshun. I'm havin' a larf. ;)

All I can understand of that is 'Is my room near the stairs'. I don't think our cousins across the pond will have clue.....:D:D

All I can understand of that is 'Is my room near the stairs'. I don't think our cousins across the pond will have clue.....:D:D

I think it's an attempt at cockney rhyming slang that even the pearly king wouldn't understand ;)

Gawdon Bennet! I was Michael Owen ter ask is me room near da apple an' pears but I figured you would all realise what wiv Bottle ov Glue cruises under my belt dis wouldn't be a serious quesshun. I'm havin' a larf. ;)

WHAT?? Did you say something bad about me?:)

Ocht ahm fae embru so ah dinny ken wit yer talkin aboot! :D

So many versions of english lol :)

Hi Jerry,

I'm also intrigued at what the differences are compared to the food and activities we've found as Brits when sailing on Freedom out of the US when the ship is obviously catering for the US market.

If you could elaborate it would be helpful and may go someway to explaining the high cost IMHO of sailing from my own country on a Freedom class ship and why I haven't done so yet.

I presume there's decent 'back' bacon served for breakfast and plenty of tea offered and perhaps not so much coffee available. I can't think of much else that the palates of both nations don't enjoy.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but felt prompted to reply re. the bacon - my DD's favourite breakfast - because (sorry :o) none of us liked the bacon on FOS. Please someone, tell me it's decent Brit-style back bacon!

Do they make announcements in both British and American english?:eek::D

lol! "Jolly good Chaps, this is your Captain speaking. Welcome to Blighty. Damn weather's a bit blasted rough today, what." :D

Mind you, either type of English would be good with me; I literally couldn't understand one word that the (Italian?) Captain said on FOS last year. Hope it was nothing important! :D

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but felt prompted to reply re. the bacon - my DD's favourite breakfast - because (sorry :o) none of us liked the bacon on FOS. Please someone, tell me it's decent Brit-style back bacon!
Hopefully it will be as they managed to have it on Adventure out of Barcelona in May.

Cor Blimey, what an entertaining thread! :)

Well, as much as I loved the food on FOS last year and of course the food in Orlando pre-cruise, I am glad to hear about the "pink" bacon on Indy, my DD will be delighted.

As for Black Pudding, I'm a Brit and I wouldn't touch the stuff. What I am glad about is the prawn cocktail on Indy being served with "thousand island" dressing because I was most alarmed on FOS when the waiter tried to dollop tomato ketchup on my prawns. :D

Now, I must look in Marks & Spencer next time I'm in there for some Kidney Pie. Sounds delicious! :) :eek:

I'm sure the OP was just trying to be helpful....honest Guv!

Ocht ahm fae embru so ah dinny ken wit yer talkin aboot! :D So many versions of english lol :)

Yes and this is just the written, as things would really go to hell if we tried spoken the word "brogue" comes to mind.

I speak excellent Texan and passible English and since I'm a graduate of the University of Texas El Paso, I'm illiterate in two languages!!:D

Love Bobby Burns BTW!:)

Yes and this is just the written, as things would really go to hell if we tried spoken the word "brogue" comes to mind.

I speak excellent Texan and passible English and since I'm a graduate of the University of Texas in El Paso, I'm illiterate in two languages!!:D

Love Bobby Burns BTW!:)

lol!

Off topic but may I just say that I love your Mark Twain quotation in your signature. :)

Just so we are all talking the same thing, can you identify your favorite bacon...

v7bj0h.jpg

lol! Well 1 and 3 look like back and streaky respectively. Not being a butcher or prolific bacon-eater, I couldn't tell you what the rest are called! :D

lol!

Off topic but may I just say that I love your Mark Twain quotation in your signature. :)

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) enjoyed cruising; his last trip in life was a cruise to Bermuda. There's beginning to be some buzz over here as his autobiography, that he delayed until 100 years after his death, is coming out soon. He was friends with Charles Dickens and Ruyard Kipling so there was a British connection, although Kipling was married to an American and living in New England at the time.

IMHO no man has had a better grasp of our American language or humor than he.

A lot of that bacon does elude me, as we don't eat much of it; much like chorizo.

As my small contribution to "Two peoples seperated by a common language!" we have a standard Manchester Terror, as I see a lot of dogs featured in your posts.

Speaking of Manchester, United is playing in Houston this week, should we be worried?:)

Speaking of Manchester, United is playing in Houston this week, should we be worried?:)

Nahh...... they only play their young superstars and Giggs and Scholes

you know the same team they beat Celtic 3-1 in Toronto.

Just off 14 day cruise on the Independence. It was a good cruise for me, but not a great cruise. Sailed from England to France, Spain and Potugal.

The weather was perfect. The problem I had was that this ship is catering to those from the UK and I as an American who had been on 47 previous RCCL cruises was disappointed. The food, activities and entertainment favored those from the UK. So, if you are going on this ship, be prepared that is is different from the rest of the fleet.:D Jerry

I also agree, last year on the IOS, even the Bingo was different. They said that we were playing "european Bingo", but we have cruised on 5 european cruises (1 baltic and 4 Med), and this was the only cruise where they used this "European bingo":confused:

Nahh...... they only play their young superstars and Giggs and Scholes

you know the same team they beat Celtic 3-1 in Toronto.

Actually I was thinking of the hooligans!! But considering that it's Houston, the hooligans might be in for a rough time.:D

Soccor is not an event with me and include baseball as well as I have a short attention span.:)

I do respect "Friends of Bill".

I also agree, last year on the IOS, even the Bingo was different. They said that we were playing "european Bingo", but we have cruised on 5 european cruises (1 baltic and 4 Med), and this was the only cruise where they used this "European bingo"

A common expression meaning you are going to lose your a**!!

lol! Well 1 and 3 look like back and streaky respectively. Not being a butcher or prolific bacon-eater, I couldn't tell you what the rest are called! :D

Actually from the site where I obtained the photo:

1. Irish and English bacon. Taken from the loin, with lean surrounded by a ring of fat. Cured and/or smoked.

3. Country bacon. Often heavily smoked, salty, and thickly sliced.

Any guesses on the others? :D

I also agree, last year on the IOS, even the Bingo was different. They said that we were playing "european Bingo", but we have cruised on 5 european cruises (1 baltic and 4 Med), and this was the only cruise where they used this "European bingo":confused:

Was the "European bingo" something like this? ;)

2rh7347.gif

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) enjoyed cruising; his last trip in life was a cruise to Bermuda. There's beginning to be some buzz over here as his autobiography, that he delayed until 100 years after his death, is coming out soon. He was friends with Charles Dickens and Ruyard Kipling so there was a British connection, although Kipling was married to an American and living in New England at the time.

IMHO no man has had a better grasp of our American language or humor than he.

A lot of that bacon does elude me, as we don't eat much of it; much like chorizo.

As my small contribution to "Two peoples seperated by a common language!" we have a standard Manchester Terror, as I see a lot of dogs featured in your posts.

I have a Weimaraner. Yeah, I know she is not of British descent but at least she is European.;)

Archived